Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Pellisworth posted:

Skip Freak Show imo, stick with Coven if you're enjoying it.

The killer clown was so good and then...they wasted it. Dandy was the only thing that kept that show even remotely watchable.*

*wasn't very watchable.

Evan Peters was so completely underutilized in season 3 that it was tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finally got around to watching this show on Netflix. I went through season 1 and 2 last week and I'm doing Coven right now. So far Coven is alright I think but it feels very different from the other two seasons. It makes me think of something that could almost have been a CW drama. I keep hearing Freakshow is bad but I'll still probably give it a watch when it's on Netflix.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Len posted:

I finally got around to watching this show on Netflix. I went through season 1 and 2 last week and I'm doing Coven right now. So far Coven is alright I think but it feels very different from the other two seasons. It makes me think of something that could almost have been a CW drama. I keep hearing Freakshow is bad but I'll still probably give it a watch when it's on Netflix.

It's entertaining watching people go through Coven/Freak Show for the first time. So many re-lived emotions...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Len posted:

Get out while you still can :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Get out while you still can :ohdear:

I'm at episode 7 when does it get horrible?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
You're in too deep. There's no escape.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

COOL CORN posted:

It's entertaining watching people go through Coven/Freak Show for the first time. So many re-lived emotions...

Most of them bad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There was almost a good story about witches vs voodoo but then it really did become a lovely CW drama.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I preferred Coven to Freakshow as well. They were both bad but Coven had more standout moments like the Kathy Bates gif in the op where she is transported into the 21st century and is screaming "lies" as she doesn't believe Obama is president because of course he's black. And then Jessica Lange just looks at her like she's retarded and says "I voted for him, twice" That was a funny moment. There weren't enough good moments like that drag it out of being a turgid mess but in comparison Freakshow was just endlessly dull. Maybe it was a higher quality of constant dullness, I don't know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just wrapped up Coven. It never really recovered after the first couple episodes that set up things that happened anticlimactically or not at all. And once the supreme poo poo started it never recovered.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Len posted:

I just wrapped up Coven. It never really recovered after the first couple episodes that set up things that happened anticlimactically or not at all. And once the supreme poo poo started it never recovered.

This show doesn't know how to not have an anticlimactic ending.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think if instead of one long season they made a set of loosely connected stories maybe two or three episodes long each it might actually be pretty good. There are usually individual threads of story and characters in each season that stand out as being interesting, but by the end they just try too hard to connect everything and make them all run together that it gets to be too much and it winds up a wet fart. Like if freakshow had just given a few episodes to each freak and had the clown do his creepy murder thing, revealing his story in the background along the way I feel it could have gone a lot better than what we got.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I wish the guys who did the promos for this show were given a series.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Everything you think is going somewhere isn't. Just a warning.

No exceptions.

Grem posted:

I wish the guys who did the promos for this show were given a series.

I think it's a house dedicated to cool video montages and stuff. They do several series, including The Walking Dead intros and the like. It's one of the most niche studios in Hollywood but they're really successful.

Goofballs posted:

I preferred Coven to Freakshow as well. They were both bad but Coven had more standout moments like the Kathy Bates gif in the op where she is transported into the 21st century and is screaming "lies" as she doesn't believe Obama is president because of course he's black. And then Jessica Lange just looks at her like she's retarded and says "I voted for him, twice" That was a funny moment. There weren't enough good moments like that drag it out of being a turgid mess but in comparison Freakshow was just endlessly dull. Maybe it was a higher quality of constant dullness, I don't know.

What I think you mean is that Coven was more fun to watch because it was bad poo poo insane and stupid as hell, and proud of it. I have to agree.

Coven almost hits that spot where it was fun hate watching; not just watching to complain. The problem is you don't really get that the whole season was going to be that dumb until a few episodes in, and you're expecting something more out of it.

I have to admit, I barely remember Freak Show, but I can laugh about Coven anytime. It's a show that's more random than an intentional comedy, except it's totally trying to be taken seriously.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 30, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That plot everyone hates in Coven, the alien abduction thing? Imagine something like that being given prime focus instead of getting to watch the devil-possessed nun be evil as gently caress, and that's Freakshow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That plot everyone hates in Coven, the alien abduction thing? Imagine something like that being given prime focus instead of getting to watch the devil-possessed nun be evil as gently caress, and that's Freakshow.

Not everyone hated the alien abduction thing.

I liked it, but I was absolutely convinced that the final episode would be Satan vs Aliens. The fact this didn't happen is bullshit and the one black mark on Asylum.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I'll be the voice in the darkness, Coven went off the rails about four episodes in and never recovered. Everything positive after Queenie loving the Minotaur to death was Kathy Bates being super awesome.

Freak Show has Twisty and then Dandy, and stuff like the Life on Mars cover, which probably wouldn't have happened without the stevie nicks episode of coven and owned super hard, which made it sort of OK. Asylum was the greatest TV to be on TV, and neither Coven nor Freak Show even tried to hit as hard as that, but I still say Freak Show was the better of the two.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dropped Call

I'm appropriating that Tate gif for the OP. Anyone have a representational moment for seasons 2 or 4?

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

Dropped Call

I'm appropriating that Tate gif for the OP. Anyone have a representational moment for seasons 2 or 4?

Sure.

The only good stuff about Season 4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spinoff American Crime Story: The People v. OJ Simpson premieres February.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ladies and gentlemen! Stevie Nicks for some reason!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

can't wait for the episode completely focused on Kardishan's family

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

angerbeet posted:

Ladies and gentlemen! Stevie Nicks for some reason!

I actually like the idea that Stevie Nicks maybe was or wasn't a witch. It was something Misty Day (Lily Rabe's swampwitch character) was really certain of, and it gave her character some depth that she as a loner would listen to Fleetwood Mac albums religiously, overanalyze the lyrics, and find comfort in that she wasn't alone because obviously Stevie Nicks was a witch. I just think it would have been better if this belief was never confirmed or disproven on the show by having her make an awkward celebrity cameo.

That moment was just perfect. When this happened you had started to come to terms with that this season would be even more grim than the previous one. You had the really dark setting with possibly immortal serial killers and nazi experiment monsters running free in the backyard and Jessica Lange's character was at her absolute low as a patient at the asylum she used to run, then suddenly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFf4TYGpFj0

kjetting fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 1, 2015

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Title sequence is out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well that's loving unsettling :stare: Even if the show sucks, at least the title sequence is dope.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Even if the show sucks, at least the title sequence is dope.

I should have made the thread title this.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Dope title sequences are how they lure us in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Parasol Prophet posted:

Dope title sequences are how they lure us in.
We've been tricked before and we'll likely be tricked again!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five or more times....

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

That title sequence was amazing. One thing took me out of it though. That kid in the gas mask? Reminds me of The Empty Child from Dr. Who.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

^I mean that is scarier than most of Coven.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I bailed on Freak Show after 2 or 3 eps after enjoying every season before that (to varying degrees of course) but I reamdy to give this a shot.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Nuebot posted:

I think if instead of one long season they made a set of loosely connected stories maybe two or three episodes long each it might actually be pretty good. There are usually individual threads of story and characters in each season that stand out as being interesting, but by the end they just try too hard to connect everything and make them all run together that it gets to be too much and it winds up a wet fart. Like if freakshow had just given a few episodes to each freak and had the clown do his creepy murder thing, revealing his story in the background along the way I feel it could have gone a lot better than what we got.

Freak Show worked best when it was a series of Freakshow related vignettes exploring the individual freaks' motivations and backstories. When they tried to make an overarching narrative out of that everything turned to poo poo. I would definitely say Coven also had this problem and Hotel probably will have the same problem.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got around to watching Coven, and it actually picks up a bit at the end.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

We've been tricked before and we'll likely be tricked again!

I want to believe. But I've been hurt before. :(

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well they couldn't pick a better time to get back on the tv because they don't have any real competition. Fear the walking dead for the two episodes I watched was unbearable poo poo, the bastard executioner is straight up trash, masters of sex finished for the season or will be soon and everything that isn't 30 minutes or so of comedy seems to be on hiatus.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Early reviews from the premiere are extremely positive so far, could.....this be another good season? :O

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

somnambulist posted:

Early reviews from the premiere are extremely positive so far, could.....this be another good season? :O

Coven and Freak Show both started out very promising, too.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Time to hop the train again. Yeah, the seasons always start out good as they introduce the setting, and the characters are always fun, but they tend to fall apart at the halfway mark, when it's clear what they've set up isn't going to be resolved neatly. I think a big problem they've had since Asylum is a distinct lack of likable characters. Everyone seems so cocky and moody and seemingly aware of what's going on, and the teasers so far don't give much hope that these ultra-fashionable hotel denizens will be any different. That First Look video makes the actual hotel setting look really ornate, however, so that should be pretty to look at, at least.

The intro is nice, but strangely underwhelming for me. Looked like they were building the hotel with people in the walls and blood as paint, then it was just a bunch of creepy imagery in a drab setting. Maybe that's the point, I don't know. Use of the commandments is intriguing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah I'm going to watch because I hate myself but i haven't found the teasers or intro to be nearly as intriguing as years past, and then Lady Gaga as the lead....

Actually my expectations are so low it will probably be great.

• Locked thread