Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SweetBro posted:

This is what tardies don't understand. Your network architecture either scales, or it does not. If your combat is laggy as gently caress in alpha it's going to be laggy as gently caress in beta and it will be laggy as gently caress on release. The only way to fix it is to rewrite it all, and the longer you keep on developing your game before you do that, the longer it's going to take. There's a reason why after release the MO guys had like 0 content updates for a year and half while they rewrote all of their server-side code so the game would be barely loving playable. The only exception to this, is if you have a properly distributed architecture on AWS or some poo poo, and can afford to throw more nodes at it (pro-tip: they can't).

Seriously, if you see something like this and your first reaction isn't "call me back when your servers don't poo poo the bed after the first dozen players" you have loving learning disability. Any retard can make a multi-player game, maybe less than 1% of the people in the industry have the skills/experience to make it massive.

Ok thanks pedo anime avatar guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

SweetBro posted:

This is what tardies don't understand. Your network architecture either scales, or it does not. If your combat is laggy as gently caress in alpha it's going to be laggy as gently caress in beta and it will be laggy as gently caress on release. The only way to fix it is to rewrite it all, and the longer you keep on developing your game before you do that, the longer it's going to take. There's a reason why after release the MO guys had like 0 content updates for a year and half while they rewrote all of their server-side code so the game would be barely loving playable. The only exception to this, is if you have a properly distributed architecture on AWS or some poo poo, and can afford to throw more nodes at it (pro-tip: they can't).

Seriously, if you see something like this and your first reaction isn't "call me back when your servers don't poo poo the bed after the first dozen players" you have loving learning disability. Any retard can make a multi-player game, maybe less than 1% of the people in the industry have the skills/experience to make it massive.

:lol:

Thanks bro.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Hmmm... The salty tears of nerds who bought into another early access sandbox real-time MMO and are suddenly shocked that the game is laggy as gently caress and always will be.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So which of these glut of early access pvp sandbox mmos will fail first

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This game won't ever launch so it doesn't count

If it does launch Bannerlord will happen like a week later and grind this poo poo into dust

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
There were only 10 players and it was a laggy mess. High hopes for this one.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Babe Magnet posted:

This game won't ever launch so it doesn't count

If it does launch Bannerlord will happen like a week later and grind this poo poo into dust

using that metric none of these games count

Chemical_Ali
Sep 30, 2005

War Criminal
Anyone playing this alpha?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Chemical_Ali posted:

reading over the thread, im going to hazard a no

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Chemical_Ali posted:

It's another "wait until no wipe Steam release" like Shards.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Their launcher, patching and account systems are so cumbersome that every time I think "I should see how that's doing" I stop myself about half way to it being playable.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It's another "wait until no wipe Steam release" like Shards.

You're implying this will ever get far enough into development to warrant a wipe.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Orv posted:

Their launcher, patching and account systems are so cumbersome that every time I think "I should see how that's doing" I stop myself about half way to it being playable.

Yeah, the day I can patch it in under 17 hours I'll check it out.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

You're implying this will ever get far enough into development to warrant a wipe.

I still don't understand how they're still operating with hardly anyone paying :10bux: for alpha.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I forgot this existed over a year ago, but it's apparently hitting Steam Early Access next week. I hope it has improved. I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I? :ohdear:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It's actually pretty fun but I don't play it because it's always getting wiped. I'll get hyped once they confirm that they won't be wiping player progression.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Wise Learned Man posted:

I forgot this existed over a year ago, but it's apparently hitting Steam Early Access next week. I hope it has improved. I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I? :ohdear:

Will a full loot pvp fantasy mmo be fun, magicv 8 ball says don't count on it

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I backed this for $10 or $30 or something over a year ago and it was laggy as all loving balls is this poo poo actually stable in NA now?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dunno, I'll give it a try sometime this week since it'll be patching through Steam instead of their servers in Uzbekikrastan or wherever.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
People on the Steam forums are already complaining about full servers and astronomical pings, and they're a couple days behind when they said they'd launch as it is. :downsgun:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not been 10 hours since they were supposed to launch but yeah it sounds like it's still bumjumped.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I guess you can play the headstart now if you already have an account; there should be a Steam key somewhere (I haven't checked yet).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Wise Learned Man posted:

I guess you can play the headstart now if you already have an account; there should be a Steam key somewhere (I haven't checked yet).

Nope. Not on the backer portal at least.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

smuganime.jpeg

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

It's not been 10 hours since they were supposed to launch but yeah it sounds like it's still bumjumped.

Yeah, I thought they were targeting Tuesday for Steam launch, not today. Now they're saying tomorrow, as long as they can roll out new servers or whatever.

Nope. Not on the backer portal at least.

Oh, my bad. I can't log into my account until I get to my PC at home later. I guess the people in headstart are just playing the old client, post-wipe? There was some stuff about Steam keys being available already but the devs' posts in the Steam hub aren't very clear.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 9, 2016

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I assume theyre just "delaying" the launch so they can sell more copies on their website without Steam taking their cut. On the Steam forums for the game, the devs are telling people its delayed while they make more servers to handle the influx of players, but then telling people if they want to play it, goto their site and buy it for instant access using their old launcher and theyll get given a steam key when it releases on Steam early access, so its not like theyre trying to keep players from coming in while they sort their servers.

Dunno how much Steam would frown upon that

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 9, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just got my Steam code from the user account page on gloriavictisgame.com

Can't install it through Steam yet though, it's just Gloria Victis in my Steam Library.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ahdinko posted:

I assume theyre just "delaying" the launch so they can sell more copies on their website without Steam taking their cut. On the Steam forums for the game, the devs are telling people its delayed while they make more servers to handle the influx of players, but then telling people if they want to play it, goto their site and buy it for instant access using their old launcher and theyll get given a steam key when it releases on Steam early access, so its not like theyre trying to keep players from coming in while they sort their servers.

Dunno how much Steam would frown upon that

You can still get it for :10bux: on their site though, and they said the price on Steam will be :20bux:.

E: looks like they just dropped the $10 package from their site in the past day or so.

Just got my Steam code from the user account page on gloriavictisgame.com

Cool.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
It's out on Steam now, though there seems to be be a bunch of issues.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I might aswell give it an install and see if its any different from a year ago

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Can I make a female Arab yet?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm at a double feature of The Conjuring 1/2 so it'll be 4-5 hours before I'm able to jump on but hopefully the issues settle down. I want to see the new landmass.

If you make a character, go Isimir

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shocking news friends!

It's bad.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Really? I thought it has definitely improved a bunch from last time I played which was probably a year ago. Obviously with 5 guys developing it or whatever its never going to be the next AAA MMO but alot of the jankyness was gone for me even though the servers were getting hammered.
I got in a PVP fight with a dude who went outlaw or something and it was pretty smooth, no rubberbanding or weird hit detection problems. I rubberbanded a couple times when running around the world when I played, but over 2 hours thats no biggie. The crafting seemed pretty good although seems to benefit groups where you can feed all your resources into a few guys so they can get high levels for better weapons & procs. The Steam version was about 20x faster at downloading the game than the old launcher which is cool.

My main gripes from playing today were that the NPC AI sucks and the combat animations are awful and have almost no feedback so it doesn't really feel like you're hitting stuff, but hey its an Early Access game and they've explicitly said those are both areas they are going to work on so maybe it'll get better on that front.

Overall its a hell of alot better than half the Early Access games I've currently got and it was only $10 when I bought it.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Ahdinko posted:

Really? I thought it has definitely improved a bunch from last time I played which was probably a year ago. Obviously with 5 guys developing it or whatever its never going to be the next AAA MMO but alot of the jankyness was gone for me even though the servers were getting hammered.
I got in a PVP fight with a dude who went outlaw or something and it was pretty smooth, no rubberbanding or weird hit detection problems. I rubberbanded a couple times when running around the world when I played, but over 2 hours thats no biggie. The crafting seemed pretty good although seems to benefit groups where you can feed all your resources into a few guys so they can get high levels for better weapons & procs. The Steam version was about 20x faster at downloading the game than the old launcher which is cool.

My main gripes from playing today were that the NPC AI sucks and the combat animations are awful and have almost no feedback so it doesn't really feel like you're hitting stuff, but hey its an Early Access game and they've explicitly said those are both areas they are going to work on so maybe it'll get better on that front.

Overall its a hell of alot better than half the Early Access games I've currently got and it was only $10 when I bought it.

How many people on that server?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Currently 'Mostly Positive' on steam. Lets see how long before it drops off.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Saw it pop up on my steam queue, it's down to mixed. Keep your head down guys, I think I see another online game crashing and burning!

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
:homebrew: Oh sweet looks like a company is selling a finished produc... :suicide:

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Brumaldo posted:

Saw it pop up on my steam queue, it's down to mixed. Keep your head down guys, I think I see another online game crashing and burning!

They have corrected the tailspin and are not mostly positive, I'm on the edge of my seat with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i love my tiny hosed up game genre

• Locked thread