Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
It's still incredibly janky, but there is some fun to be had when things go right. It looks like it's gonna take another four years before they iron out the major issues though, if they ever do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Daily forecast:
Mostly Positive with 440 reviews

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Daily forecast:
Mostly Positive with 440 reviews

How many of them are Astroturfing?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can someone just take Chivalry and slap it into a huge map with cities and poo poo already.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

Can someone just take Chivalry and slap it into a huge map with cities and poo poo already.

I really didn't like Chiv's combat. War of the Roses was a lot better melee engine, it was like Warband Advanced.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skoll posted:

I really didn't like Chiv's combat. War of the Roses was a lot better melee engine, it was like Warband Advanced.

You are quite possibly the only other person I've ever seen who thought this. I also preferred War of the Roses combat engine by a wide margin, but everybody else I've talked to seems to take that as blasphemy, as if Chivalry superiority were a universal truth. :tinfoil:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only reason WotR tanked so bad was because Chiv released at the same time and catered to the absolute lowest common denominator. The combat in WotR was loving great, the sheer amount of options in customizing weaponry and armor, etc.

The only thing they kept continuing loving up was balance, but nothing is perfect. I wish they opened the game up to modding after they abandoned the entire franchise.

Orv
May 4, 2011
War of the Roses was loving terrible. The same way M&B MP is actually awful. Cavalry. Also the armor glance or whatever they called it system was garbage.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

War of the Roses was loving terrible. The same way M&B MP is actually awful. Cavalry. Also the armor glance or whatever they called it system was garbage.

You sound like you got murdered a lot in WotR and then rage quit. :smug:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skoll posted:

You sound like you got murdered a lot in WotR and then rage quit. :smug:

It's actually a compliment, Orv plays many bad games that he hates.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

It's actually a compliment, Orv plays many bad games that he hates.

Yeah, I've noticed orv has a lovely opinion in half the game threads I've bookmarked, but always entertaining to read. The glancing armor poo poo sounds more like you were trying to be a 1337 no scope archer and kept picking the wrong arrow heads.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skoll posted:

Yeah, I've noticed orv has a lovely opinion in half the game threads I've bookmarked, but always entertaining to read. The glancing armor poo poo sounds more like you were trying to be a 1337 no scope archer and kept picking the wrong arrow heads.

No, I'd hit someone in the face or chest with a sword and the little icon would pop up and invalidate what I'd done. It's a bad system.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

No, I'd hit someone in the face or chest with a sword and the little icon would pop up and invalidate what I'd done. It's a bad system.

I mean, if you're straight on hitting armor with a sword, which they kinda did model in, it's not gonna do poo poo. I always rolled with a battle axe and had no problem using the pick end for pierce damage on armor, or using the blade and aiming at necks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's not fun though? At least personally, I never put in the hundreds of hours that the big M&B MP/WotR people so I was just barely able to compete with the super nerds and that may have dragged that down for me. If Chivalry is the lowest common denominator then god bless lowest common denominators for not making you waste twenty hours before you can have fun. Of course Chivalry has its own melee abuses that have basically killed it as well so maybe there's a different lesson at play there.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have never played this War of the Roses, but I don't understand how you could not have fun in Chivalry stabbing people and binding Battle Yell to your movement keys.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

That's not fun though? At least personally, I never put in the hundreds of hours that the big M&B MP/WotR people so I was just barely able to compete with the super nerds and that may have dragged that down for me. If Chivalry is the lowest common denominator then god bless lowest common denominators for not making you waste twenty hours before you can have fun. Of course Chivalry has its own melee abuses that have basically killed it as well so maybe there's a different lesson at play there.

I found it perfectly fun. They went the realism route without trying to make it Arma levels of stupid. It remained a niche game and who knows what would have turned out if Chiv didn't release at the same time, but I and others found it perfectly fun. You didn't have to put in 20 hours to do well, you just had to know the strengths and weaknesses of what you were fighting. Full plate opponent? Crossbows and long bows with correct heads, spears, pick ends of axes, polearms, etc all did well. You could even do well with a basic sword if you kept to thrusts and not slashes, or aimed for openings in the joints. It was :spergin: and that's kinda what I personally enjoy. I'm sorry you didn't though, it was a great game before Paradox murdered it.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 14, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's fair, I do honestly wish I had liked it better, it was less clunky than M&B and the loadout system was better thought out, though the leveling aspects were probably part of the problems of being able to have what I needed at all times.

Now Lead and Gold, there was a gem no-one played. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My favorite thing in War of the Roses was when that patch hit that made Bleeds really good and most of the tryhards were running a kit focused on bleeding you.

So I took the "bad" perk that made you immune to bleeds in exchange for also not being able to bandage yourself, grabbed a big rear end sword and went Conan the Barbarian on their asses. Sure, I'd eventually die from the lack of healing, but the rage was worth it and you could cut through so many people before they finally killed you with a death of a thousand cuts.

I never really did have issues facing cavalry in WotR, either. You could pretty much sidestep them and kill their horse if you couldn't get a clean shot at the rider. Or if it was a team composed of a bunch of cavalry, run that crossbow with the level that gives it one loading notch but a full reload if you hit it and bathe in the tears of their fallen.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I used to make so many people cry when I used spear cav, it was nuts. I was just good enough to fend off three people at once too when I'd eventually get de-horsed. Battle Axe + steel shield and it's pretty much block and swipe.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Can someone just program a next generation networking architecture that can support massive amounts of data being sent and received from thousands of clients concurrently at minimal latency already while being able to compensate for both Brazil-tier and Korean-tier internet connection.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll get right on it

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

Can someone just program a next generation networking architecture that can support massive amounts of data being sent and received from thousands of clients concurrently at minimal latency already while being able to compensate for both Brazil-tier and Korean-tier internet connection.

I've been working on an authoritative combat system like Chivalry/Mount&Blade and it's already difficult enough when it's one of the only mechanics in the game on a server made for 64 players. I can't imagine having to do this on a massively multiplayer scale in addition to everything else running over the network.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I've been working on an authoritative combat system like Chivalry/Mount&Blade and it's already difficult enough when it's one of the only mechanics in the game on a server made for 64 players. I can't imagine having to do this on a massively multiplayer scale in addition to everything else running over the network.

I prefer mostly non authoritative with periodic data checking and minimal necessary RPC. Gotta be good about the checking code though.

Many argue about authoritative vs non, but also what really helps servers soar is efficient caching layers (depending on data priority ofc) and efficient calculations. Also in this day and age of 2016 its a pretty good idea to offload most non-critical systems like item management, skill tree storage etc to not the movement/collision server.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

SweetBro posted:

Well, this is why those people will get money when they do it? Also planetside 2 has existed for awhile now so....

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Orv posted:

Now Lead and Gold, there was a gem no-one played. :v:

I agree, I really liked it and there hasn't really been anything like it since as far as I know

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
This game is kinda fun and seems really good for an EA title with 7 people on the dev team. Why does this thread poo poo on it so much?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

BadLlama posted:

Well, this is why those people will get money when they do it? Also planetside 2 has existed for awhile now so....

Yeah, you should go do it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Meatsicle posted:

This game is kinda fun and seems really good for an EA title with 7 people on the dev team. Why does this thread poo poo on it so much?

Because this is the next corpse on the pile of poo poo and run EA open world full loot pvp mmos

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

Because this is the next corpse on the pile of poo poo and run EA open world full loot pvp mmos

There hasn't been that many.

Darkfall (2007)
Mortal Online (2008)
Albion Online (2014)
Uh... Salem/Tree of Life? (2012/2015)

The 12 years of MMO tourism across the dozens of AAA themeparks where people seem to think "this is going to be the one I fall in love with, because it has INSTANCED HOUSING/NO TAB TARGETING/*insert gimmick*" should get way more poo poo than the PVP gankbox.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

SweetBro posted:

Yeah, you should go do it.

Oh okay friend thanks for that advice.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Alexander DeLarge posted:

There hasn't been that many.

Darkfall (2007)
Mortal Online (2008)
Albion Online (2014)
Uh... Salem/Tree of Life? (2012/2015)

The 12 years of MMO tourism across the dozens of AAA themeparks where people seem to think "this is going to be the one I fall in love with, because it has INSTANCED HOUSING/NO TAB TARGETING/*insert gimmick*" should get way more poo poo than the PVP gankbox.

archeage
black desert
every OP you have made in mmohmo
crowfall
camelot unchained
link realms
shards online
chronicles of elyria
das tal

then if you want to be a little more generous you could add all the rust clones and dayz clones

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Skoll posted:

You couldn't dictate when the blow would land once you clicked, and that gave it a very arcade-y feel. Thats why i got bored of it too soon. Otherwise it was a godd game, far better than chivalry. Still no M&B though

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Decided Of Kings and Men looks way better than GV.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Skoll posted:

... Have you heard of Mount and Blade?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whats Mount and Blade? Mountain Blade sounds like it would be a better name.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Skoll posted:

Of Kings and Men isn't quite a MMO but as a cRPG player, I highly recommend it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not being an mmo makes it better by default

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Revisiting Gloria Victis since they just released the new model patch and it's shaping up pretty good.

quote:

The biggest update in the entire history of Gloria Victis has just been released! Not only we have implemented new character models and reworked character creation system – you also receive 7 redesigned settlements, great expansion of the locations upgrading system and Christmas content! The last but not least - as a Christmas gift we gave all of you one point to reset your attributes.

Speaking of Holidays – Merry Christmas, Gloria Victis players! Many times your awesome continuous support gave us energy boost which allowed us to release 34 regular updates since Steam EA release (in just 6 months!), be able to finally establish an office after hard times of remote work, expand the development team and start cooperation with one of the best animators in the industry – only thanks to your priceless support all these achievements could become real. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and see you in battle!

P.S. Special thanks for the internal testers group for awesome help with countless tests of this update – we owe you one!

Work in Progress:

– Our designers are reworking 4 remaining settlements into the new upgrades system
– Programmers are working on character controller and synchronization overhaul
– New animations are being prepared to the final implementation
– Dozens of events for new players will be added on peninsula South of Dunfen
– Inventory and depots system should finally get moved into new system within 2 weeks
– Once work on the male character is done, our artists will start implementation of female character
– In the nearest future we will focus on optimization improvements and bug fixes
– Editor of existing characters will be implemented soon, so you will be able to re-customize your current avatars and change gender once female model is introduced

Animations will probably be in a couple weeks and they look great (I guess they hired the guy who did The Witcher 3's combat animations).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY66aykeuRE

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 22, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That actually looks good and seems like progress. I have high hopes for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Huh, that looks almost like a video game instead of several piles of garbage in a trench coat masquerading as a video game.

Shame about it being dead already.

• Locked thread