Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Salmiak, or Salmiakki, is a type of salted licorice candy, popular in the scandinavian countries. It's very different from the licorice Americans probably know about (and often hate). If you're not someone who likes licorice, the thought of adding salt to something you already hate probably sounds repulsive. But many people who hate licorice by itself love Salmiak... many consider it quite addictive. The taste profile of licorice is very different when you add salt to it, the same way cheez-its taste like cardboard without salt but go down nicely when they have salt. It uses an ammonium chloride salt (mainly) which also has a different taste from the usual sodium chloride table salt.

Some examples of this stuff:

Personally I like licorice when it's done well, but I LOVE Salmiak. This stuff might as well be crack. It blows my mind that more people don't know about this. I only learned about it after a swede introduced me. But I've had to have it in my life ever since.

Anyway, share your salty licorice stories ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I used to have a coworker from Finland who brought some of this in one day, it was very strange, not bad but not good and then I wanted more even though I didn't super like it, very odd

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Why do Scandinavians like such terrible food?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nooner posted:

I used to have a coworker from Finland who brought some of this in one day, it was very strange, not bad but not good and then I wanted more even though I didn't super like it, very odd
it was covered in crack

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The Whole Internet posted:

Some examples of this stuff:

There goeth the thnikkamaaaaan

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
if you handed me this and said try this candy and i ate it i would say thanks but no thanks this isnt to my taste sir

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Yeah that stuff is good.

I can only have a piece or two though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

lutefisk and aquavit for dinner

hey fish gotta swim right???

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
My mum likes salted licorice. Its weird.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Lt. Tanaka posted:

My mum likes salted licorice. Its weird.

she likes salty things in her mouth

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747
yes, this stuff is tight. too tight. what brand is that salty lil skull? gimme the details. i'm lookin to turn my teeth black here, brother

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I lust for the great race war so I can hurl a brick into the window of the local World Market and take all the salmiakki

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
yeah salted licorice is my 3rd favorite food next to pickled caca and pissy cum

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747

a bone to pick posted:

yeah salted licorice is my 3rd favorite food next to pickled caca and pissy cum

take a hike wise guy, this is the salty licorice thread, not the salty uptight dingaling thread. salt on.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Pretty much anything approaching a black (actual) licorice taste is awesome. Once a year I go to this one candy store and get ~$70 worth of assorted licorice from all over the world and that will hold me over for the year.

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If I ever manage to get a woman pregnant and the pregnancy is viable (not mutant, non-mammalian life form etc) I'm namin little junior "SALTY LICORICE BABY"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
sour candy supremacy idiots

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
gently caress slated licorice

Gin Gins biotch

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like to get a bag of the chewy extra salty stuff, pack my cheeks full of it and just sit there. turn off the lights and think about what goes on when y'r dead. salty black ichor oozing down my chin and neck.

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

maniacripper posted:

Gin Gins biotch

Those are good too but theyre a tad too chewy.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
This sounds disgusting and delicious please give me some candy

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Best part of being a licorice fan is that you don't often have people asking to share.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Blistex posted:

Best part of being a licorice fan is that you don't often have people asking to share.

So it's similar to contracting a contagious disease?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

go home n pet cat posted:

I like to get a bag of the chewy extra salty stuff, pack my cheeks full of it and just sit there. turn off the lights and think about what goes on when y'r dead. salty black ichor oozing down my chin and neck.

you are emulating life above the arctic circle quite well

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hobohemian posted:

So it's similar to contracting a contagious disease?

Nope

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I love black licorice much to surprise and disgust of almost everyone I know, and have always wanted to try Salted Licorice, but I have no idea where to find it without flying to Finland.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's some good poo poo op. I haven't ordered some in a while due to dieting though sadly.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Neo_Crimson posted:

I love black licorice much to surprise and disgust of almost everyone I know, and have always wanted to try Salted Licorice, but I have no idea where to find it without flying to Finland.
Ebay or Amazon. Found a couple hundred listings for salmiakki easily.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

maniacripper posted:

Gin Gins biotch

Whats it taste like?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah its good I like the ones that are like swedish fish but salmiakki thats why they call me salt fish.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Blistex posted:

Worst part is the people who claim to like red licorice.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i like licorice but this is something i really wanna try it just sounds provocative and probably tasty, guess i need to amazon it

thank salty skeltal

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

The Sphinxster posted:

Worst part is the people who claim to like red licorice.

like red vines?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i really like black licorice but its hard to find good stuff, in america the best kind is usually marketed as 'australian licorice' which seems weird that they did something right if its true

do the scandinavian ones taste like that with salt in it, or different? the stuff im talking about is brown on the inside like 1 of your examples, and very very good, reminds me slightly of gingerbread dough in there

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I'm a fan

but everyone I've shared it with have all done the same slow chew chew, slow-mo-eject from mouth manoeuvre. I even warn them beforehand, but people still want to try it, then waste my licorice :/

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
just mix some morton's and twizzlers up in a bowl

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

go home n pet cat posted:

If I ever manage to get a woman pregnant and the pregnancy is viable (not mutant, non-mammalian life form etc) I'm namin little junior "SALTY LICORICE BABY"

just because your supposed child comes out brown doesnt mean you should be racist

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

frenton posted:

Whats it taste like?

Ginger, delicious spicy ginger.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Gatekeeper posted:

like red vines?

Yeah. That poo poo ain't licorice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

i really like black licorice but its hard to find good stuff, in america the best kind is usually marketed as 'australian licorice' which seems weird that they did something right if its true

do the scandinavian ones taste like that with salt in it, or different? the stuff im talking about is brown on the inside like 1 of your examples, and very very good, reminds me slightly of gingerbread dough in there

That's interesting, I've actually never had the brown licorice. So I can't really compare. I'd just say by itself without the salt, it tastes a drat sight better than the American stuff, which always had a plastic-y quality to it I disliked. There are different levels of salt in different salmiak brands. The higher ones are so covered in salt they're completely white. The lower ones are practically just black licorice. The skulls (my personal fav) are medium ones I guess.

• Locked thread