Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Pixie unfortunately died of kidney failure last week but here's a picture of her judging me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh no. :(

A pretty cat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aww, nuts. :(

I hereby dedicate this LP to the memory of Pixie, the blind cat I could not comprehend for the life of me. Rock on, bread cat.

Cloudyak
May 14, 2009

Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?
Condolences for a sassy catte.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
Oh noes :(

Have hugges for lost cattes

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Carnitas Jacobs, please join the kitty covenant and bring Pixie filthy interloper souls as tribute.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Darn, sorry to hear that. Poor Pixie. :smith:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

CJacobs posted:

The new Binding of Isaac expansion came out today so you'll have to forgive me for not rendering/uploading the next session just yet. Here is a highlight from episode 27 that I hope will tide you over until I get around to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44QBW7Ozw6I
Yep. That's Dark Souls alright.

Also, RIP blind judgment cat. May you continue to judge us all from the great beyond.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
Human Frampt weeps for blind judgement cat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Session 5!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So I'm like five seconds into the first video of this session because this was recorded like three months ago and I forget what happened and I would just like to confirm that CJacobs eventually got to taste jaffa cakes and eat the candy I was teasing him with waaay back in the second session!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

CJ wears a trenchcoat and fedora irl.
Seriously though, I get what you mean but you sure got excited there. :v:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 1, 2015

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
for reference: I beleive you wanted to the the dlc so you could get the cool Sif cutscene, but then had to kill Sif to fight the four kings. Welp.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Working my way through this LP, and I'm curious; does tweaking DSFix to run the game at 60fps still cause all manner of issues, or is that less common anymore?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Working my way through this LP, and I'm curious; does tweaking DSFix to run the game at 60fps still cause all manner of issues, or is that less common anymore?

I can't get the game to launch when I have the framerate unlocked. Nothing I've tried works, and nothing else causes any problems.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Not only can you get from the Tomb of the Giants back to Firelink without the Lordvessel, you can do it with both bridges turned spiky-side up. Although it is a massive pain in the rear end.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

YOTC posted:

for reference: I beleive you wanted to the the dlc so you could get the cool Sif cutscene, but then had to kill Sif to fight the four kings. Welp.
I thought it was to get enough humanity to save Solaire or Queelag's sister or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was a weird conflict of interests that led to us doing the DLC at that specific time:

- We wanted to get the alternate cutscene for Sif, which requires killing Artorias
- We ALSO wanted to meet Kaathe, which requires defeating the Four Kings before placing down the Lordvessel

You can't do both on the same playthrough, because you have to put down the Lordvessel to clear the golden fog gate that leads to the Duke's Archives; which you have to go to in order to get the Broken Pendant. So instead I went and killed the Four Kings and palled around with Kaathe for a while, THEN did the DLC. I didn't want to save it until last because it'd break the flow of the game right at the end, even though that's when you're ~intended~ to do it.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

There actually is a white titanite slab in the vanilla game, in the area before Nito's arena full of pinwheels.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Remove the Sack of Shame...

And attach the Sack of TRIUMPH!

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

CJacobs posted:

So instead I went and killed the Four Kings and palled around with Kaathe for a while, THEN did the DLC. I didn't want to save it until last because it'd break the flow of the game right at the end, even though that's when you're ~intended~ to do it.

Yeah, it would've been cool if you could do both. The 4 Kings are one of the hardest bosses (especially in game 2 or higher when face-tanking them in magic-resistant armor isn't as viable) so I could see doing the DLC before Sif* and them. Then again, with how high everything's defenses are, I don't know if I'd start the DLC without the Very Large Ember and you have to drain the water for that anyway, so.... :v: I haven't actually finished DS1's or 2's DLCs yet. I got up to Artorias and the double-defenses that just served to nerf magic ticked me off. It felt like when I did some of the co-op areas in DS2's DLCs for Iggy's LP and the enemies all had like 75% resistance to all elements.

* And as far as Sif goes, I've been calling her "her" too, but I'm pretty sure the game never says either way. My logic was 1) yeah, the name is a reference to a goddess, in a mythology which has a much more famous male wolf they could've used if they wanted to, and 2) the chorus has both male and female voices, and I took that to mean Artorias + Sif.

And least but not least, I think the Sealer's hood would make a good dunce cap. It even hides your face in shame!

pun pundit posted:

Not only can you get from the Tomb of the Giants back to Firelink without the Lordvessel, you can do it with both bridges turned spiky-side up. Although it is a massive pain in the rear end.

I've gone backwards from the Tomb before (you have to get past about 4 giant skeletons and it drops you off in Bonewheel Alley), but never after speed-running the Catacombs. I assume you'd have to go all the way to the third area and take the Tranquil Walk of Peace route which drops you off near the lever to flip the first bridge?

Oh, and in case anyone was curious, Mock Souls continued:

Not including a black knight shield and halberd, large club, a man-serpent greatsword and flamberge, etc. Let me know if anybody wants any of this stuff (I stopped at level 40), and share in the realization I'll never be this lucky ever again. :negative:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yikes, I didn't realise the Gold Tracer could do so much damage; you were really chewing through Manus' health. On my first time through, I was stubborn and stuck with a lightning winged spear for basically the whole game. Good for normal enemies, often bad for bosses. It made the Manus fight a real test of endurance; it took ages.

Manus is pretty drat hard... but I still found him easier than the final boss (and Ornstein and Smough, of course).

drat it feels good to get the timing just right on the silver pendant and completely nullify the damage from one of Manus' will-outright-kill-you-otherwise dark attacks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quoting myself from the Dark Souls PC thread about this crazy bullshit that just happened:.

CJacobs posted:

So I just used the black eye orb and got summoned into lautrec's world as a co-op partner.

:stare:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Wow, never seen that affect [what I thought were] scripted invasions like Lautrec's. :aaa: I've had that happen a few times, definitely more on PC than PS3. I think the most surreal one I've had happen to me was one time I was co-opping for Gargoyles. I get the "You are being summoned..." message... and appear as a red phantom at the boss fog door, just like what would've happened if I'd invaded instead of tried to be a white phantom.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Why not use a bow? Bows are thief-y. When you can pull those assholes from a distance the entire area is so much better.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

sleepy.eyes posted:

Why not use a bow? Bows are thief-y. When you can pull those assholes from a distance the entire area is so much better.
You know who used a bow? Garrett. Bows are Thief.

You could almost get away with the club as a blackjack, but not the reinforced club, my favourite SL1 overpowered-pyromancer weapon.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

chrisoya posted:

the reinforced club, my favourite SL1 overpowered-pyromancer weapon.

I did a SL1 run with barely any pyromancy use, and I can safely say that the Reinforced Club is by far your best option. :) Though I did decide to use something a little different for Manus... A +14 Light Crossbow, the only projectile weapon a SL1 character can use without two-handing it. :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This session was pretty short!

Surprisingly, there's only one session left! So uh, I'll see you next week for the conclusion of the LP maybe!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
That's not how hormones work, C. Jacobs. :colbert:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

CJacobs posted:

Reference to Dr. Snake.

Also I see your Sans and Papyrus in there, CJacobs.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks future you for putting up that annotation in comic sans.

And not the good kind in a blue hoodie, but the bad kind.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Dual bonewheel shields are pretty funny. I think that was in a gimmick run done as part of Geop's Dark Souls LP.

Nito being a conglomerate of skeletons always makes me think of the skeletons in Ultima 9. They broke apart into separate bones when defeated, but would try to reform after a short while. The thing is, they did this procedurally, with all the separate bones having their own physics. (It was actually pretty cool for 1999 or whenever it was.) If more than one skeleton had been broken into pieces in the same area though, they could get all jumbled up into one big unholy mess of bones trying to reform into discrete skeletons, but instead hopelessly stuck together. One of the only good things about that game.

Nito's blades from the ground thing really gave me some trouble initially - along with the skeletons that accompany him. Fortunately you can stop them getting up again with a divine weapon, like CJacobs was wondering in the video.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I'll say. I'd heard the Gold Tracer was a really good weapon, but seeing something that fast pop out 200-300 damage a swing is crazy.

As far as the Seath/Gwynevere stuff goes, have to admit I never thought about it. Either way, the Channeler set says Seath had sent them out to get "human specimens" before he went mad, which implies he experiments on them and doesn't just kidnap and turn them hollow out of some sense of revenge. One of the keys even refers to them as "writhing mistakes."

What I thought was weird is Logan's dialogue that states Seath looted the Primordial Crystal from the dragons he killed. So he was already immortal before he was given a Dukedom and the biggest library in town. So... what was he trying to learn by experimenting on humans? :v: If this was Demon's Souls where magic was "soul arts" that'd be one thing, but I don't think that's how sorcery works in Dark Souls. The only hint I can think of is one of the spells (Crystal Soulmass I think?) which just says "souls, crystal, and sorcery are intertwined."

And last but not least, if the channelers were Seath's minions before he went insane, do you think they always looked the way they do now? Because, man, that

would drive me crazy. :gonk:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I didn't make it 100% clear in the stream because I was sleepy and there were a lot of things happening but Seath was never immortal -- he is an Everlasting Dragon, from the same species as the super chill friend in Ash Lake but the same birth defect that gave him none of the stone scales of his kinsmen also means he is mortal.

His research on immortality was so that he could artificially recreate the immortality that he was meant to be born with, but wasn't and that's how he discovered/created crystal magic (its not clear if Seath invented it or if it already existed and he just discovered it in his research) and the crystal that you have to break in order to damage him in the fight!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Your continual pointing out of how all the places the player goes in Lordran are connected makes me wonder: is there a way to detach the camera from the player and just do a fly-by tour of the entirety of the world? I think there's a way to do this with Cheat Engine but I never looked into it.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Unperson_47 posted:

Your continual pointing out of how all the places the player goes in Lordran are connected makes me wonder: is there a way to detach the camera from the player and just do a fly-by tour of the entirety of the world? I think there's a way to do this with Cheat Engine but I never looked into it.

Well there is a 3d rendered map of the game based on the game data.

I think i've seen one for the DLC too but not recently.

Edit: oh found it.

YOTC fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 7, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Never seen the DLC map. Pretty neat. Reminds me that I've still never actually finished the DLC...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Since Altman murdered the thread, as he is want to do...

Have an article on dark souls map and its interconnectivity.

Article here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

YOTC posted:

Since Altman murdered the thread, as he is want to do...

Have an article on dark souls map and its interconnectivity.

Article here

Holy crap, you can see Darkroot Garden from the Undead Burg and almost all of lower Lordran from Anor Londo??? I mentioned in the Sen's Fortress videos that Anor Londo was rendered in LOD form just over the wall when you get to the roof of Sen's, but I had no idea it was also the other way around. :eyepop:

Sorry I didn't update on friday, I caught the flu and took extremely ill and I just didn't feel like editing anything. I'm starting to get better now though, so you'll probably see videos this week.

• Locked thread