Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's cool if you're both in agreement and you're not super attached

in practice one person (usually the guy, tbh) lies about his feelings to get into the relationship then he gets all jealous and rear end in a top hat-y because in reality he is super loving attached and it never works out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

I'[m] essentially in a V with my gf and her other bf. That is, romantically and emotionally. I've been dating her about 3 months, and I get along great with him just fine.

But she wants to be generally more non-mono and is open to casual sex with people outside of what we have. I am too, but non-mono in general is pretty new to me. And for the most part I'm 100% onboard; I'm supporting and compersive in her endeavors. We have very clear, open, honest communication about everything. Which helps me to not be jealous. And hearing about past and potential casual sex is all fine with me. But when it comes to it being in my face... as in physically in my presence, I feel "left out"

I don't get this feeling at all with her other partner (we're both essentially Primaries) I don't think I feel jealousy specifically... maybe envy? Like someone was kind of touching and kissing on her the other day while I was there, and I felt like I wasn't receiving any attention and that I was "left out". I feel like maybe if I was with someone at the same time I'd be ok; so I don't think it's specifically that she isn't giving me the attention.

I feel this will continue to happen, and I'll continue to have these feels, because it's simply easier in my opinion for girls to attract men.

Any thoughts on how to mitigate feelings like this? General practices, thoughts, or ideas?

Thanks!

Discuss your feelings w/ her. It's one thing to have an open relationship, it's another to be ignoring you and getting all touchy feely with someone else in front of you. That's just cucking im pretty sure. If you're not comfortable with something, say something. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Better that than spending the rest of your life feeling second rate or something.

It's not weird at all to not care if she fucks people but to not want it thrown in your face (certainly not if she's ignoring you while doing that).

Afaik most successful open relationships just have the people go gently caress sometimes if the occasion arises (like if you're at a party and someone wants to smash and your SO is out of town or sick or something), they aren't necessarily looking for other people to sleep with or all that poo poo. And while being open is important (no one likes being lied to and snuck around on), all the specific details probably don't need to be mentioned.

And also you'd be surprised at the amount of girls who aren't into loving random people (my gf is one - she doesn't like banging if she doesn't know the person well and have a connection) versus guys who don't care about that, as long as we're talking about who gets laid more in an open relationship.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 11, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

That's actually worse, that's like she's not just banging the guys, she's banging the same guys over and over again and has a connection with them.

Seriously the only time anyone should consider getting involved with an open relationship girl is if you've lucked into being one of the one-offs. Otherwise, run away. Run as far as you can.

PS: Mindfuck for you, at least one of those guys guaranteed thinks of her as his girlfriend too. You're welcome.

yeah seeing another dude over and over is usually a recipe for disaster

i meant more just like random one night stands now and again

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean maybe just buy a chastity belt and go full sissy cuck at that point ya know

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Stingly posted:

Any arguments in favor of open relationships and the kind of anecdotal evidence supporting them usually boil down to a description of 3 or more people who don't really give a gently caress about each other and lack the kind of intense emotional connection people think of as Love or whatever. This is then said to be much more ideal than traditional monogamy because it lets the participants orgasm much more frequently, which of course is the entire purpose of a romantic relationship, satisfying one's cravings. Like a microwave cooking hot pockets for your all night game sesh, except for your genitals.

yeah

it's just for like 'hey we like hanging out with each other and banging but we like banging other people too but we just want to say we're dating and maybe live together for the financial security'

it's not for real relationships imo idk. like occasionally is one thing but just an open relationship? prolly not gonna work unless you get 1 in a million people. it's just fun when you're young and there's attractive horny people everywhere and you're sick of the drama of cheating and trust issues and lying and poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't see how open relationships can ever really work in a society that still likes mono relationships. Like I could potentially see a hippy love commune thing working* because everyone shares everyone, but when you go out with your friends friday night and they bring their monogamous dedicated gfs/bfs and they're like "hey where's your so?" and you just sorta have to look at your drink and mumble about them being on a date there's absolutely no way anyone is going to maintain respect for you. When you compare a mono to a poly/open thing it's always going to look (and objectively so) that the poly people's partners are less dedicated to them.

*: and even with this I recall reading how those communes end up with people on the top that monopolize the desirable partners and people on the bottom who pretty much get nothing, there's always going to be a status element to relationships

nah you're just hanging out with uptight people

a bay posted:

Isnt that what love is supposed to be though regardless of the sex rules of the relationship

yeah. i think it's possible to separate out love and loving but it is understandably difficult for most people. I have two friends that get super attached super quick to anyone they gently caress. They're both guys, too. Sometimes you find someone you know you love and you're both cool with loving a stranger now and again but you don't click with anyone else and it's fine but that's pretty rare.

One of those dudes tripped out and broke up with his girlfriend of 2 years because they were in seperate states on new years and she kissed someone when the ball dropped. To me that'd be 'i don't care just tell me and don't lie and sneak around.' Which she did - she called at 12:30am crying and feeling bad about it but he tripped out anyway. Too extreme imo but there's all kinds of different people. Personally I can understand wanting to kiss someone when the ball drops and everyone around you is doing it. Doesn't have to mean anything other than that :shrug:

mind the walrus posted:

You do know there are women who don't like the idea of their man getting their cock wet wherever too right?

Plus not every monogamist is some creepy misogynistic or patriarchal douchebag. Some guys just like the idea of supreme intimacy with one person and trusting to a commitment that a woman values them enough to not jump on every attractive dick she meets. It's definitely got shades of controlling and insecure behavior in there but it's not malicious unless the guy is emotionally stunted and goes all Raging Bull on her.

There's nothing wrong with monogomy and trusting relationships and I think this whole thing of trying to make it some kind of social justice to cuck men is doing a huge disservice to social issues. I always thought it was an ironic joke but apparently there's people who really are like that and it's just fuckin strange.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 11, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Right but politicians have to pander to a lot of conservative uptight people.

In your 20s when everyone is aware of the situation and everyone enjoys loving and snorting blow and doing drugs it doesn't matter as much.

Besides I think you'd be surprised at how many politicians and rich people and whatever do it too, just more lowkey. They aren't picking up the random person at the gala dinner. If it's about other people's perceptions and you're in a position where that actually matters you just hide it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

That was my point though, if absolutely everyone were onboard with open stuff I could vaguely see it working, but as long as that's not the case then the people in the position to fully monopolize a single partner, (or sleep around themsevles without their partners sleeping around on them) are going to have a higher status than the people who have to share. I think this is partly why when you look at reddit boards on poly (a gold mine of fantastic e/n style posts) it's always guys that are whining about having trouble coping with their gf sleeping around, there's uneven gender standards there and they subconsciously realize being in this situation devalues them socially. It says that they aren't good enough to be one of the guys who has a dedicated girlfriend.

Well yeah alright.

I have two points:

- it's not necessarily the gf loving other people that is low status, it's the gf loving other people and ignoring you while you act like a doormat about it and secretly hate it and feel like poo poo that makes you seem low status

- don't give a poo poo about if random dils think you are high status or not. That kind of thinking leads to PUA poo poo. Just be awesome.

Also, a lot of those people are loving crazy people, definitely. Do that poo poo at your own caution. I do want to make the slight distinction again though between people who clearly glom on to a girl and watch her gently caress around while she talks about poly this and poly that and people who are happy with each other and now and again they gently caress someone else just for kicks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not like everyone is super promiscuous in their 20s though, I only knew of like 1 open relationship in my entire social circle and people constantly made fun of the dude for it until it crashed and burned. Sure there were single people who hosed around but if you were putting titles on it it implied monogamy.

Okay but meanwhile in my friend group basically everyone has banged each other at one point or another regardless of which one they happened to be dating at the time and no one cares.

People are different.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest thing is trust and communication. If you don't like how the relationship is structured or how certain things are going you should say something about it.

Otherwise I don't think there's really inherently anything wrong with whatever configuration works for you and everyone involved unless you want to be on the 'well 2 people raising a kid is a good family unit' but that's a fairly new concept anyway nor does it apply to people not trying to have a family.

ArbitraryC posted:

We've been telling depressed people to stop caring what other people think and just be themselves for pretty much forever but the brain sadly doesn't work that way. Pretty much everyone craves external validation. I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that particular mindset, particularly since due to skewed gender standards it kind of has a skeevy ownership undertone, but you can't just logic yourself into being okay with open relationships due to a variety of elements including social pressure.

If you're someone like lethal who just doesn't give a gently caress that's great, but it's not something I think most people would be capable of in a monogamous culture such as the US.

That's fine but maybe the random one night stand is some people's form of external validation. Maybe they like to know they are still attractive and it's not just their loving wife telling them that as they get old and ugly. Then after that insecurity is out of their system, they are fine.

I'm not saying you can logic yourself into feeling a certain way, I'm just saying for some people feelings come up in different ways or not as strongly. Like in my earlier example when my friend was telling me about his girlfriend kissing someone else on new years eve, he was super mad and I kept waiting for him to say 'and then she banged the kid right there and everyone saw and said I had a tiny dick!' but no he was just super pissed about the kiss. I didn't get it. I still don't. I get jealous and feel envy, but about different things.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 11, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

polyamory is failing to recognize and appreciate the benefits of a monogamous relationship, while over-valuing the importance of sex with random people. one idiotic compromise later they have something that brings none of the benefits, and all the negatives

sure have a gently caress buddy, or plain casual sex, but accept that these things are not special and fulfilling connections with someone

why can't I have a special and fulfilling connection with someone and enjoy the benefits of monogamy and still gently caress someone new once in a while?

ArbitraryC posted:

What I mean is I'm monogamous and do not personally feel like my gf is controlling my genitals. I think trying to turn this into some sort of social equality issue to shame people who aren't comfortable with non-monogamy into something poly or open by implying unless they're willing to they're a misogynist is really gross and I absolutely hate when people make posts that imply that. It's borderline sexual abuse.

i agree

it's definitely emotional abuse

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also I think in general the USA is a nation of prudes who will gleefully watch screaming people being eviscerated with their children but get super angry about a nipple showing and I think it really impacts societal views on sexual freedom and promiscuity - as long as we're talking about status and how other people view you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

it's possible, but i wouldn't recommend it

point is that love involves full acceptance of someone, and that its greatest benefit is knowing that your wife isn't gonna immediately run off and gently caress some other guy while you're at a chemo appointment or something

Yeah.

Well like I said it's probably a terrible idea for a 'real' relationship unless you find that one in a million person or something. Presumably said wife would care about you way more than just getting a random lay and would stick with you through the cancer treatments.

Then again a lot of monogamous couples have an SO run off or cheat in the face of something like that. It's not exactly a guarantee of anything.

nomadologique posted:

wah wah we monogamists are a seriously oppressed minority won't someone think for the love of god think of us???

that's sexual abuse it is, the way you try to guilt me into polyamory, you sadbrains beta bitch

It's pretty lame if your gf who you love goes 'you know what I should be free to gently caress other people if I want but not you because I'm a woman. If you disagree you're a misogynist.' I mean sever immediately of course lol but you know how people get attached to women.

\/\/\/ yes I don't think anyone disagrees

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

i think there are a couple points here:

first, even your scare quoting reveals that when it comes down to it your idea of a "real" relationship revolves around monogamy; exceptions to this are exceedingly rare

second, that the rarity of these relationships as viable or real is maybe just your imagination/the effect of our society and the way it sexualizes us and controls our loving-expressions

the second one is a speculation; my suspicion is that, given a different set of mores, many more people would be viably able to enjoy and feel fulfilled in a non-monogamous relationship than do today; but because of those mores, the truth is very much that it's a rarity -- the people involved have to somehow have escaped from or been immune to a lot of societal programming

what about the few odd billion non-christians in the world who practice polygamy? oh edit

I do the "real" thing just because there are tons of people who try to force something that isn't there and then go 'open relationshiiiips :argh:' when in reality their marriage or relationship just sucked and was going to fail anyway. If she's gonna leave you for a bigger dick it was gonna happen eventually anyway. Hopefully you're not afraid your wife is gonna leave if she figures out how bad you are in bed (not like you personally just in general).

I really don't think polygamy is particularly unviable. There's tons of people in the world who have multiple spouses.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zidrooner posted:

There exists this myth that if you are in a relationship with someone, having another relationship (casual or not) with someone else, you are automatically doing them an injustice, you filthy cheating adulterer.

Some people feel satisfied with having only one partner, but some feel that they can love more than one, that there is no reason to limit the amount of intimacy you can reach with any one person just because you are already intimate with another. The feelings they have for someone new do not diminish in any way the feelings they have for their current partner/s.

There is no reason why a mono person can't be happy in a relationship with a poly person. If they receive the love, affection and appreciation they desire, there is no reason to be unhappy about their partner also making someone else happy.

To some people, the idea of their boyfriend/girlfriend loving someone else makes them go through fear, jealousy, anger, and such emotions. But others are perfectly okay with it. This has nothing to do with them being monogamous or polyamorous, it is simply the result of them feeling their relationship threatened.

It's only natural to feel threatened if the other person they're loving is better than you. What if they were to meet someone better looking, richer, who treats them better and fucks them better and they would dump you? There are multiple ways of coping with this problem. A popular one is prohibiting them from sleeping with other people, and social norms make it easy to do so, but going down this road is actually a surefire way to damage your relationship, because it doesn't address the root issue of WHY your partner would want to get rid of you in the first place. (it might even be your jealous behaviour itself)

Confidence in a relationship comes from making the other person feel so good that they would never dream of abandoning what they have with you.

I agree with all of this.

Also many people in the world practice polygamy and it works just fine. There's a lot of societies where those sexual mores and pressures are different.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

pretty much every civilization that has existed enforced monogamy. maybe the modern world is exceptional, and we can evolve something new, but i doubt it.

lol bro the nuclear family is a modern thing and there have been many many civilizations that didn't enforce monogamy (and polygamy was the norm)

between that and the 'relationships are the foundation for a family' thing you said a couple pages back I think you've working with some outmoded concepts. if no one in the relationship cares about or wants kids what's the problem?

quote:

i think there is likely a very good reason monogamy exists in every civilization, and only primitive tribal societies and hippies do anything else. i think it may be essential for even having a civilization, or at least one that functions properly and isn't slowly decaying from within

haha come on learn you some history

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 12, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

anthropologists deal with primitive societies, i'm interested in civilizations, all of which enforce monogamy in some way. i'm not talking about any kind of "human nature", there is no such thing, humans are infinitely malleable. yeah almost all successful civilizations are violent too, with the exception of maybe the Indus Vally civilization, and they died out. so maybe violence is also a requirement for a successful civilization :shrug:

i don't really care about individuals and their preferences, i'm talking about the health of a society. individuals have all kinds of animal preferences that we collectively suppress for the good of society. and monogamus families are not a modern thing, they are literally older than written history

i love learning history, please do enlighten me

Well if your argument is 'no successful culture has had polygamy' then I'll point you at Islam during a time when the Middle East was a center of culture and trade, and at Scandinavians who did alright for themselves during the Viking Age. There are many others.

And I said the nuclear family (ie 2 parents raising kids) is a fairly modern concept. Which is true. Kids don't need to be aware of the sexual relationship, they need love and support and traditionally a whole community helps to raise kids. And again if youre not even worried about kids your whole 'relationships are the base family unit' and 'monogomy keeps the fabric of society sane' arguments are meaningless.

People have been loving and having orgies for thousands of years it'll be fine.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CombineThresher posted:

because for the rest of us, open relationships are nothing but drama and resentment.

Most relationships for most people are nothing but drama and resentment. That's not an argument for only monogamy, that is an argument to be communicative and don't settle for bullshit in any relationship.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i just like cumming

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Im an internet meme spewing jizz into literally any aesthetically pleasing consenting hole

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
one time i was at a party and my friend's gf was getting fisted in a bedroom by another mutual friend of ours (a girl) and you could tell his gf was just having the best screaming orgasms like he could never give her and he was just on the couch looking so depressed

lol

i hooked up with some other girl on that couch later and as i was leading her upstairs to smash i happened to see him looking sad

just fuckin lol dude has a 9" dick too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

the way i see people that call themselves poly, is the same way i see a kid that tells me he wants to be a race car driver when he grows up. they just don't have the experience to realize that's not realistic

idk why you keep insisting that this is a totally fake fantasy that doesn't work for anyone when there are in fact thriving swinger communities and poo poo. Not everyone has to fit inside a neat little box, you know. Some people just genuinely don't care about it.

Yeah most people trying to do it aren't made for it and it ends up in disaster but that doesn't mean it never works ever.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dogstile posted:

Every woman I know who is into poly poo poo has been sexually abused. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm not exaggerating, every single one

the normal ones probably don't announce it so your sample is probably skewed

Frank Viola posted:

Poly people are weird, one of my clients has an employee that drops it into like every single conversation.

case in point.

anyone who talks about their sex life at work to that degree has some damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

She was my first girlfriend, and I was her Love.

lol too attached to the first girl that showed some attention. can't see the one-itus from the inside.

divorce, be free, you'll feel better in the end. wife only got into it bc she is over the relationship and couldn't figure out a way to just tell you.

• Locked thread