Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Wrong on that one: their blitzers have diving tackle (not block) and their catchers have diving catch (not catch), and they don't have any other positionals besides the krox. A few stars have it (who aren't in) and a few cards grant it (which aren't in) but yah, nobody takes it. It's still a mark of how really bad at this Cyanide are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I heard that all but the DLC races were going to be added this week from a twitch steamer on his channel.

Anyone know if that is actually happening ?
Yeah I think they're coming on the 22nd, that's the game's official release date.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Washout posted:

OKAY EVERYONE TELL THEIR FAVORITE FUMBBL STORIES!!

My favorite was when I tried to play a GFL tourney game by accident during some sort of maintenance. Rather than just say, "Sorry, can do that", it caused the game to drop off into the twelfth dimension and did not allow it to be played when the maintenance was over. We eventually had to be kicked from the tourney, play it as a pick up game, then get readmitted and adjust the records manually.

Washout posted:

in fumbbl there are literally no bugs,

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You also can't reroll Pro in FUMBBL.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is that right?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here's the bug report for this non-existent bug that doesn't exist because FUMBBL has no bugs.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Bad bugs in fumbbl: Take Root is broken because if a prone tree fails it just stands up. Blood lust is broken because it can't override the "stand up and end turn" command so unless there's a thrall there you're hosed. This pro thing, apparently.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Fumbbl has like three bugs and they are all obscure and in the previous post.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Wooper posted:

Fumbbl has like three bugs and they are all obscure and in the previous post.

Isn't Ball and Chain broken? Or did that finally get fixed?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

FUMBBL owns, but I'll so like pretty games. I don't regret this purchase, but I do want to beat the jackass that decided to put dwarfs in the beta. It will likely harm the by in for this game too :(

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Rygar201 posted:

FUMBBL owns, but I'll so like pretty games. I don't regret this purchase, but I do want to beat the jackass that decided to put dwarfs in the beta. It will likely harm the by in for this game too :(

I'd have probably put High Elves in instead but its not too terrible, they're fun to play against with Skaven and they're a reasonably straight forward team for new players.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Magnetic North posted:

Isn't Ball and Chain broken? Or did that finally get fixed?

That got fixed like years ago.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

jBrereton posted:

Here's the bug report for this non-existent bug that doesn't exist because FUMBBL has no bugs.

I came from cyanide before I even knew about fumbbl, so I will revise my statement to say that compared to CE, fumbbl has no bugs of consequence.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I've encountered a bug that seems to be uniquely mine. If I move my ballcarrier with a handoff action (you need to declare ball handling at the start of an action), then end the action without actually giving the ball to someone, sometimes the ball will be placed on the ground in his square. The game log makes no record of it happening, the ball stays in the square with my player, and it does not cause a turnover, but the ball will stay there when he moves away.

I've managed to do it twice with the same Runner now.

EDIT: Also, if you have Fumbbl tabbed out during a game, any popup prompts will cause Fumbbl to immediately steal priority. For example, if you hop over to IRC for a moment during your opponents turn, you might find your string of text input suddenly being interpreted as a "Yes, I want to Apo this KO on turn 2".

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 16, 2015

Rogue
May 11, 2002

I played BB CE a long time ago after getting interested from watching cKnoor's Let's Play. (I also wrote and recorded a song for the thread if anyone remembers that :) ) After seeing some of the complaints about BB2 I've been playing on fumbbl also.

My major complaint is that you can't test out what a blitz or pass action would look like to know how risky it is. For blitzes it's not too bad because you can count assists, but for passes at weird angles I imagine it's hard to eyeball the difficulty of the pass. Granted, I haven't tried passing plays in the few games I've played on a chaos pact team so maybe it's not a big deal.

In any case, I had a player killed or with statloss in each of my first 4 games, sometimes 2. :) My minotaur is the only level 3 guy because of this. He's got juggernaut and piling on now so I'm just gonna blitz with him all the time.

Do goons who play fumbbl ranked hang out in the fumbbl IRC? Or a separate goon IRC?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Washout posted:

OKAY EVERYONE TELL THEIR [...] FUMBBL STORIES!!

GNU Order posted:

Like realistically pass block is probably the highest ratio of easy/hard to implement so it's probably just not in the game yet

And even if cyanide just says "Pass Block is not a thing anymore" I don't think I've ever taken it as a skill anyway

Fringe example, but here goes:

I play Pro Elves in a 8 vs 8 league on FUMBBL (like BB7's, another thing FUMBBL can do that either Cyanide BB cannot) and I have 2x Pass Block/Shadowing Pro Elf catchers that I use. They still don't get many interceptions but because it is a 50/50 shot at one with NoS, opponents have to play around them. And just getting them in a TZ reliably breaks up the pass/catch even if it isn't an INT.

edit: the league makes it nearly impossible for anyone (especially an Elf) to get things like Block/Wrestle/Strip Ball/Tackle.. so like I said, fringe example. It's fun.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 16, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Rogue posted:

Do goons who play fumbbl ranked hang out in the fumbbl IRC? Or a separate goon IRC?

It's not Fumbbl-specific, but the goon community is tgbloodbowl on synirc. As for passing, it's not great, but there's a range grid which shows you the ranges going out in concentric circles, and from there it's just a matter of counting squares and knowing the ag table. Marking the pitch using shift-click is also a great help if you're an idiot like me who gets in a muddle.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm thinking of playing fumbbl or blood bowl

I like hurting dudes instead of winning

How viable is that

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ZenVulgarity posted:

How viable is that

Play Chaos. Gets as many dudes with Claws, Mighty Blow, and Piling On as possible. Kill all the mans, grow powerful by guzzling the tears of your enemies.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Oh, totally viable. Chaos and Chaos-dwarf can turn into a teams of CPOMBers (a trilogy of skills where it's easier to break armour, easier to hurt people, and you get a RR if you gently caress up), Khemri and Ogres are a mix of high-strength positonals and cheap linos to foul with, or you can just try Goblins and play around with chainsaws, bombs, and ball and chains, all of which are probably going to hurt someone. In Fumbbl Ranked you might find it hard to get a game with your 8 Mighty Blows and 4 Dirty Player teams, but there's Blackbox for that, and as far as I know, Cyanide chaps are open season.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ZenVulgarity posted:

How viable is that

You've come to the right video game(s). 75% of a match consists of punching people. 5% is straight up murdering them. 20% is moving the ball around.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

On the topic of murder + telling good blood bowl stories, some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game was running a cheated, farmed up minmaxed hypermurder clawpomb Chaos squad against clueless pubbbies.

I ended a game with 13 CASes and a KO scored against a 14 man halfling team. I almost felt bad. Almost.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Rogue posted:

I played BB CE a long time ago after getting interested from watching cKnoor's Let's Play. (I also wrote and recorded a song for the thread if anyone remembers that :) ) After seeing some of the complaints about BB2 I've been playing on fumbbl also.
There are people that sit in chat and wait for the stream to start just so that they can hear the song on Fridays. It's a pretty good song.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Donnerberg posted:

You've come to the right video game(s). 75% of a match consists of punching people. 5% is straight up murdering them. 20% is moving the ball around.

This is why I hate blood bowl.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Panzeh posted:

Play elves, or skaven. Then you have just a little bit of punching followed by a whole bunch of moving the ball around. Especially pro elves or rats, as they just can't take punches very well. So you don't want to be right next to them unless you have to.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gaghskull posted:

Play elves, or skaven. Then you have just a little bit of punching followed by a whole bunch of moving the ball around. Especially pro elves or rats, as they just can't take punches very well. So you don't want to be right next to them unless you have to.

I have played a lot of elf teams and you still have to cage up, screen, and stall a lot, you just get to pass sometimes if your opponent makes a boo boo or you manage to hurt enough of their guys.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

cKnoor posted:

There are people that sit in chat and wait for the stream to start just so that they can hear the song on Fridays. It's a pretty good song.

Haha, awesome! I'll have to stop by sometime. I caught the last few youtubes you've made of BB2 , really hope someone from Cyanide sees your complaint/suggestion video.

Fumbbl question: when I go into ranked gamefinder and click the green checkmark on the teams I would play against, it seems weird; sometimes the little spinner stops going and I have to click it again; does that mean they declined?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Rogue posted:

Fumbbl question: when I go into ranked gamefinder and click the green checkmark on the teams I would play against, it seems weird; sometimes the little spinner stops going and I have to click it again; does that mean they declined?

Not sure what the spinning thing is, but..

Green check mark = You are willing to play that team
Red check mark = Get that team outta my sight (they can no longer "Green check" your team)

When both teams "Green check" each other, a new screen will appear with "Decline" and "Start Game" as your two options. If they Decline, you will find yourself looking at the Gamefinder screen again. If they Accept, the client should open shortly.

If you're unsure what's going on, look at your team on your home page. If it's says "Match scheduled vs [Team Name]" then your opponent accepted and is (probably) waiting for you in-match. Click "Play" next to your team on your home page to enter the match.

Getting into that first match on FUMBBL is the wonkiest bit about it but you really only have to figure it out once.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Panzeh posted:

I don't know why you would even play this game if you don't like hurting mans?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

FUMBBL PRO TIP WHICH IS A GODDAMN GAME-CHANGER

In a game, Shift+Click on a player icon. A little window will open above them and you can input letters, numbers, symbols, etc. This makes it easier to remember which ugly little pixel man has Diving Tackle. +ST, niggle, -AV, etc.

This doesn't work when spectating others' matches but is really the only downside to FUMBBL's awesome spectating system (you can see chat and contribute to the atmosphere with obnoxious /cheer /stomp /ooh /aah commands.) It's really neat once you get like 50 specs in a FUMBBL Major Final match.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Voyager I posted:

I don't know why you would even play this game if you don't like hurting mans?

I like tactics and sports and doing cool plays and outwitting an opponent, y'know, playing a good game.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Panzeh posted:

I have played a lot of elf teams and you still have to cage up, screen, and stall a lot, you just get to pass sometimes if your opponent makes a boo boo or you manage to hurt enough of their guys.

Not really. A well played elf team will not be caging up. You will stall a fair bit, but elf stalling is quite different to bashy stalling. You still want to block and blitz, you just pick the right blocks and blitzes.

Also, if you're a min-max elf coach, you foul and foul and foul and cause perhaps more mayhem than you receive. Dodge and high agil all over the shop ensures you can make the blitzes that favor you by always having men able to dodge into supporting positions, too.

I realized I have been playing at FUMBBL for 12 years. That's scary. It's time we had FUMBBL style leagues with their scope and bespoke nature, but with a graphical engine of BB2's type. It's so sad that I can't squeeze BB2 and FUMBBL into a mixing bowl and create a real monster of a game.

Panzeh posted:

I like tactics and sports and doing cool plays and outwitting an opponent, y'know, playing a good game.

You can get this from Blood Bowl, but other games allow you to do this without having players murdered and the dice slaughtering you. Blood Bowl is an amazing game, but you have to enjoy that your best player is going to get killed, or at least be able to laugh at it and carry on without feeling too salty.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 16, 2015

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Funso Banjo posted:

Also, if you're a min-max elf coach, you foul and foul and foul

:stare:

You probably don't want to foul and foul and foul with 60k-70k+ pieces.

The most I foul with Elves is when my Apo is gone and the opponent is threatening to clear the pitch, gunning for one of my precious pixel mans. Ejection = Safe.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Victor Vermis posted:

:stare:

You probably don't want to foul and foul and foul with 60k-70k+ pieces.

The most I foul with Elves is when my Apo is gone and the opponent is threatening to clear the pitch, gunning for one of my precious pixel mans. Ejection = Safe.

I've had games where I have fouled every turn with pro elves. Of course there are certainly times when you should keep away from fouling, especially if you can't get enough assists to ensure injuries, or you start the game with just 11 or 12 players. But I would say that you should foul at least a couple times per half, unless you have a shortage of players.

Failing to foul enough is probably the biggest mistake I see agile/weaker teams make regularly.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 16, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Panzeh posted:

I get it. It's okay to not like murderball and dicing, but I don't know why you would come into the Bloodbowl thread for no other reason than to announce the stiffness of your neckbeard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That makes no sense...

As an elf your pieces value at about 20-30k higher than opposing pieces. So let's do some maths. When you foul there's a 1/6 chance that you lose a piece worth an outlay of let's say 70k in a decently levelled game. There's a 5/6 chance this doesn't happen.

Against an average AV of 8 (the AV of non-elf teams that are worth a drat) and no assists you're rolling 2d6 to break armour and need a 9. That's a 27.77% chance to break armour. We'll round it to 25% for ease of calculation.

After that you roll injury, you need a 7 or more to take someone out the game, which is a 58% chance, we'll call it 60% for ease.

So when you foul against AV 8 there's a (0.25*0.6) 15% chance that a piece worth, let's say 60k gets removed from the field. There's a 16.7% chance (1/6) that you lose a player that's worth more than the player you're fouling.

You can improve the odds by bringing in assists on the foul but then you're positioning elves next to a player to attempt an injury roll that grants no SPP and you're elves so you're almost certainly fighting at a manpower disadvantage.

tldr: DO NOT FOUL AS ELVES.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You don't naked foul their linos, you send a DP dude and some friends after any of their murder dudes who chase Elves too far.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Does Fumbbl have a pbem option? Seems like a really good fit, at least for exhibition-style play.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Panzeh posted:

I've been playing Skaven and doing well (for me) and I've only ever formed one cage for one turn, generally your gutter runners are so fast and agile they can navigate through gaps in defence and you want your defending players to not be in base to base other than sending your linerats to mark enemies, everyone else you just want forming tackle zones between the enemy and your runners. Setting everyone one square away from base to base is a good move with fast teams since it limits your opponent to a single blitz worth of blocking per round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Panzeh posted:

Okay, this explains a lot. You are a terrible coach at elves and skaven. Like others have said, an elf team (maybe dark elves) does not and should not get into a punching battle with other teams. Mostly because you will lose them. Standard elf/rat play is to grab the ball, take it somewhere safe, then wait until you can cross the entire pitch in one turn through passing/gunner bullshit. Linemen aren't there to punch, they're there to keep more valuable players from getting blitzed.

If you should suddenly find yourself winning a CAS battle with another team, then gently caress it, punch 'em all day long while Nuffle favors you. But punching is not the first choice with these teams.

• Locked thread