Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So a a friend of mine just bought it and I watched him play a round via streaming. First impression is that the UI is somewhat lacking and the camera is annoyingly hyperactive. Oh, and also way too many dwarf teams. gently caress dwarves forever. Literally any other team would have been a better and more fun choice to include in the beta.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, first game with Wood Elves against Brets and it turned into a complete slaughter... for them. Next to two Badly Hurts I killed a peasant and put a -STR on a Blitzer, meaning that he pretty much had to reroll the team out of hand. Add to that some standard bad luck on his part like failing a GFI despite a reroll which lead to a KO'd Blitzer and I couldn't help but feel kinda bat for him. All that fancy armor makes Brets look pretty resilient and punchy, but at the end of the day they're still only STR3+AV7/8.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Just had a Chaos player full on ragequit on the second turn. Things weren't even going that bad. He just frenzy blocked one of my Wardancers to the sidelines, and I crowdsurfed it. Thing didn't even get injured. Next turn he fouled one of my linemen, and conceded.

I don't understand these people.

Weird, I had a very similar thing happening last game as well. Dude put a whole lot of stuff right on the LoS despite being on the defense (and in a way that didn't grant any assists), so I opened up by punching a whole lot of goatmen to the ground. My treeman managed to KO his minotaur as well, and he actually spent his apothecary to downgrade that to a stun. In his turn he then tried two -2d blocks with goats against the tree, and after that promptly ctrl+alt+del'd out. :psyduck:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Welp, my luck with wood elves just couldn't hold:

In the second half I had a string of four or five rounds where my opponent (Chaos) could make only a single block via a blitz, and each of those resulted in an injury. The rest of them were a combination of fuckups on my part, LoS blocks, and a few unlucky turnovers before I could dodge everyone to safety. At least all but one of them were only Badly Hurt and I still managed to eke out a 2:2 through good old elf bullshit. :unsmith:

But anyway, a question: For the first skill-up on the Treeman, should I rather take Grab or Guard? Guard is all around just pretty great, but most of the time it seems like the rest of my team wouldn't be in a position to make use of it. Grab meanwhile is more situational, but it would allow the tree to occupy more enemies for longer even when he's rooted.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Iretep posted:

MB is fine too, means he has a better chance to kill the ball carrier.

Yeah, I picked MB on one of my Wardancer and it's serving me pretty drat well. The dude has averaged about one injury caused per match since then, and even more stuns and KOs. I usually throw half my blocks and almost all my blitzes in a given game with Wardancers, so there are plenty of opportunities for that +1 to make a difference.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jesus christ, I lost two games in a row to crashes now. First one was a 2:0 against chaos that was looking pretty promising, and the other one was a completely amazing one against dark elves that had me leading 4:0 in the first half. 20+ games before that went perfectly fine performance-wise, and now it decides to poo poo the bed.

:negative:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 1, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evernoob posted:

Yesterday I had the worst game ever with my 1700TV Chaos team against some really bullshit dwarves.

Round 1 first action my Minotaur hit double skulls, reroll, double skulls, injury-death, apothecary, injury miss next game.
And it only went downhill from there.

For what it's worth, you should generally avoid making a block with a Big Guy your first action, unless your entire play depends on it. Yes, they're big and can easily get 2d blocks against pretty much anything, but the fact that they don't have block and do have loner makes even those 2d blocks with them fairly risky and likely to cause a turnover. A 2d block with a chaos warrior or beastman who has block is incredibly unlikely to result in a turnover when you have a reroll to spend, somewhere around 0.07% range. Meanwhile, getting two skulls/both down results and having loner trigger with a big guy sits at a decidedly more likely ~5%.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This was kind of adorable, after I dodged a guy into the endzone and made the pass for a TD :kiddo:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

iSurrender posted:

Score fast, score again.

If a given game doesn't have at least four touchdowns between the two players, somebody messed up :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

There are.

It's actually reasonably clever about it, too. If a player with Dodge gets hit with a Defender Stumbles near a sideline you actually get the option not to use Dodge and let him get taken down, so that they're not at risk of being crowdsurfed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, I finally got around to making a lizardmen team and it's so drat fun. After playing elves all the time it's nice to be able to just get stuck in every now and then, and skink bullshit is just as fun as elf bullshit. Played my first match against dwarves and still somehow managed to get a 2:0. In the second half things looked a bit dicey when he'd managed to build a counter-cage directly around my ballcarrier, but then I remembered stunty and just dodged right out of it through the one open corner to safety :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You gotta enjoy the little things in life. I was stalling for a bit and my opponent apparently figured he'd try to gangfoul my saurus to put pressure on me instead of going after the ballcarrier. He just got a bit careless with that and:

Two K.O.s later he conceded :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Major shoutout to Evernoob for letting me run a free TD with a Saurus who lucked into ball possession after soundly thrashing me with his Brets. :shobon:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So since I liked lizards a bunch, I figured I'd try to give chaos as a full bashy team a try (because gently caress dwarves).

Me: "Oh hey, against wood elves. So let's see, try to pummel them good and proper in the first half, so I outnumber them in the second."

Nuffle: "Yeah, nah."

Seriously, during the first half the guy was getting more armour breaks per block than I did. On the second half that equalised a bit, but being outnumbered for long stretches I couldn't really make very many of those stick and ended up losing 2:0. Also a record 6 doubleskulls for me.

Alright Nuffle, I'll go back to the filthy elves where I belong. Elfball best ball :downs:

VVVV Lying around on the ground. Several turns ended with either of us (mostly me) managing to blitz free the ball, but unable to actually pick it up afterwards. VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 5, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Big guys seem to get frowned upon a fair bit in general. I'd probably always take one because I think they are both funny and look great, and I'll take that over a miniscule increase in team viability every time. Not sure if that means I'm playing the game wrong, or right, but Iove the big goofy bastards on all the teams.

I've grown really fond of the treeman on my woodelves. Sure, he's the perfect antithesis to the rest of the team, but something about him just makes people see red. Several times now I've seen opponents commit four or five players just to take him down, only for him to just stand firm and pop back up again next turn so the whole thing starts over again. Meanwhile I'll just walk around the sides and hope they won't realise that they'd only need to mark him with one single sacrificial lineman to pretty much completely neutralise him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, I just had a pretty great reversal. My fledgling chaos team up against lizards with some 290 higher TV than me. I already prepared myself to get good and proper reamed, and to top it off this happened after a turn one pitch invasion:

But then it seemed like Nuffle wanted to make up for it, giving me plenty of injuries. A few crowdsurfs on top of that, and soon enough things looked like this:

Alas it was still a 1:1 because I got just little too greedy. He managed to put a skink next to my carrier in the very last turn, and I figured it'd be safe enough to do a 3d blitz on it. Promptly triple-skulled, reroll didn't have a pow either, and then I failed the dodge with the carrier.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 14, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, is the implementation of Diving Tackle broken (in BB2) or did I miss a rules tidbit? Had my Saurus with it standing next to a Beastman and a Chaos Warrior. Chaos warrior tries to dodge away, I don't get asked whether or not to use DT. He fails, uses a reroll, again I don't get asked and this time he succeeds. Of course that turned out to be the blitz that allowed him to score in the same turn :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Did your saurus end up on his rear end? Because if so then DT worked and the CW just rolled well.

Nope, he remained just where he was, and I think the log mentioned that the dodges were just against the regular old 3+.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jade Star posted:

I have a lot of DT on some of my teams. It works perfectly fine. It probably happened too fast for you to notice, but the first roll was probably a 1 or a roll that would have failed with out you using diving tackle, so he failed and gave you no prompt. The second dodge was probably a 5 or a 6, a roll that would have succeeded even if you did dive for him. So the game didnt give you a prompt because all DT would have done would have been to put your player on his rear end for no reason.

It's different that what you might be used to in BB1, but they actually got DT perfectly right this time around. The prompt ONLY appears when it would make a difference. So any time you see the DT prompt, it's basically asking you 'do you want to cause a turnover, y/n?' and you wont see the prompt if the dodge was a natural fail, or a roll too high for DT to matter.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I thought you'd have to choose whether to use it before the roll is actually made, not afterwards. That actually makes the skill even better than I thought. Thanks!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been playing Welves in Ranked Fumbbl and even though I am incredibly lucky and haven't suffered a perm yet, I'm not exactly cringing when my dancers go down. They're so good out of the box and I get enough money to afford replacements that I'm not going to retire the team or anything when they do go down, because they will.

Yeah, after playing Skaven or Welves for a bit you tend to develop a casual disregard for the health of your players.

Also encountered a weird bug: I was playing lizards and got a touchback after the kickoff. For shits and giggles I decided to give it to the Kroxigor. But instead of actually giving it to him, the game just placed the ball on a seemingly random spot in my half, next to a sideline. That didn't exactly make things easier.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh my god, I just had the most Blood Bowl thing imaginable happen. I played a mirror match with my lizards, and by and large it was a pretty ordinary game. At first I had a bit of bad luck resulting in two skinks being blitz-injured in the first two turn and making me use my Apo, but towards the end it turned against my opponent pretty severely, raining skulls left and right. But anyways, I managed to eke out a 2:1 in my favour with the TD in my last turn, so that he only had one round of punching left.

For his first action of his last round his Kroxi hits one of my Sauruses (neither of which had Block) and gets a both down + skull. The last thing I see before the game fades out is my Saurus getting his armour broken and rolling Dead. At the very same moment I get the Steam achievement for having a dead guy as MVP, which of course was the Saurus that just died.

I can't even be mad. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jade Star posted:

Lizards are a real strong team until they start taking casualties. If you hurt a big lizard they don't have anything to replace them with. The little lizards are weak enough you can often times hurt enough of them to seriously hamper the teams ability to play the ball.

Yeah, basically when up against lizards try to blitz a skink every single turn, ideally with MB if you have it. Depending on the makeup of your team you can then often just mark the remaining sauruses with a sacrificial lineman each and play around them fairly easily.

• Locked thread