Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Talmonis posted:

I see a lot of folks loathe playing against dwarves. What are some decent ways to actually beat them with a physical team like Orks?

Get up to the higher TV values and you can kick the crap out of them. Dwarves can't move around the pitch very well at all. Pretty much everyone in the game moves faster than them. So use your passer and get the ball down the pitch! Blitzers don't just make great punchers, but they can carry the ball well as well. And once your black orcs get some skills on them, you will not lose the strength game because dwarves are all St3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Iretep posted:

Most people hate playing against dwarfs because they are popular and anyone who knows how to use them right will always play the same way.

It's when you see a deathroller that you better watch out. Because then you're playing a funhaver. And funhavers are favored by Nuffle.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

GNU Order posted:

Like realistically pass block is probably the highest ratio of easy/hard to implement so it's probably just not in the game yet

And even if cyanide just says "Pass Block is not a thing anymore" I don't think I've ever taken it as a skill anyway

I was going to say that I'm pretty sure Slann have players who start with it, but Cyanide will never put froggies in this game. :(

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Panzeh posted:

This is why I hate blood bowl.

Play elves, or skaven. Then you have just a little bit of punching followed by a whole bunch of moving the ball around. Especially pro elves or rats, as they just can't take punches very well. So you don't want to be right next to them unless you have to.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Panzeh posted:

I have played a lot of elf teams and you still have to cage up, screen, and stall a lot, you just get to pass sometimes if your opponent makes a boo boo or you manage to hurt enough of their guys.

Okay, this explains a lot. You are a terrible coach at elves and skaven. Like others have said, an elf team (maybe dark elves) does not and should not get into a punching battle with other teams. Mostly because you will lose them. Standard elf/rat play is to grab the ball, take it somewhere safe, then wait until you can cross the entire pitch in one turn through passing/gunner bullshit. Linemen aren't there to punch, they're there to keep more valuable players from getting blitzed.

If you should suddenly find yourself winning a CAS battle with another team, then gently caress it, punch 'em all day long while Nuffle favors you. But punching is not the first choice with these teams.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Panzeh posted:

I'm not punching with elves- I mean, the end of a non-scoring turn is everyone dodging out of TZs- you don't generally need to cage unless you want to be forward enough that they might break through one of the screeners and run a guy in to put TZs on the ball carrier.

It's still a dumb rear end sport with enough guys to cover the field with TZs and absolutely no requirement to do anything with the ball in order to maintain posession, which makes it remind me of pre-shot clock basketball- a keepaway offense once you got the lead.

There are plenty of things an opponent can do to keep up pressure on you to move or score. It can be as simple as just moving on up into base contact with the elves. Maybe they just send a couple of blitzers to go make your ball carrier move. Or they can just start fouling and killing elves to make you do something. There are always options.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

RabidWeasel posted:

This is why Skaven are the objectively funnest and best team, all your players are cheap and disposable and even if most of your players die in one game you can roll with it. Skaven are one of the few teams I happily play at any TV (though obviously it gets kind of dicey at super high TVs since Chaos becomes brokenly good when everyone has 5 skills)

Skaven are the best team. You only have 3 players, the ball is by your endzone, and you only have one turn to score to win? You're goddamn skaven. You are going to score with the most miraculous bullshit imaginable and just handoff/pass your way to victory.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

ZenVulgarity posted:

What's the optimal fouling team

Rats. Because your line rats are otherwise just going to die anyway. Might as well deliver an extra boot before they leave the game.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Velocity Raptor posted:

*Good Skaven Advice*
As someone who is currently running a skaven team in Goonbowl, let me explain that even in a tourney setting where you just don't get to face many murder teams, skaven will die. I think I've already gone through 3 linerats in a 6 games I've palyed so far. The only players capable of taking punches are the stormvermin and the rogre. And you probably don't want the stormvermin taking punches because your claw/mighty blow/tackle SV want to be blitzing holes open for your gunners to take advantage of.

The key with both elf and skaven teams is to basically just force the other player to roll a bunch of dice. You do your 2db when you can, and dodge when you can't. The second the ball hits the ground, you grab that ball and if you have played correctly, you have a player in position to run all the way to the other side of the field where he can't touch you. This is the quintessential skaven bullshit play. Also, I highly recommend starting with a rogre. Yes, he'll fail a bunch of rolls. But he has wild animal and prehensile tail, so players have to really think before they try to dodge away. And he is the only natural source of St 5 on the team. WIth St 2 gunner, you're going to need all the help you can get.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

TheMcD posted:

You can set skills to ask you whether you want to activate them or not.

Can somebody tell me how to do that in Chaos Edition? I want to set Wrassle to ask for the potential of the Both Down turnover fun, but I don't know where to set it.

Go into the options screen at the main menu. There should be a tab for skills.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

The Bee posted:

I feel like getting 3 rerolls and an apoc off the bat beats a rogre start, but they should definitely be next in the purchase order. Provided you play it safe for a game or two you should be able to get the rogre soon.

Keep in mind, most of my skaven experience is through tournaments, which play very differently than the open play that most people are talking about. You may get murder chaos/orc teams in open play, but there just isn't enough time to see those teams develop skills in a tournament.

Also, always start with big guys unless you are orcs. Big guys means the coach is a funhaver. And Nuffle, capricious as he may be, shows his favor upon funhaver teams. When a kroxigor intercepts, you know the Nuffle has been there.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Mixed teams? They tend to be gimmicky and aren't allowed in a lot of leagues I guess. They've only been available for a week so it will take a while for the meta to shake out.

My Chaos Pact now have a cow and a rogre with block. They are now the best pact team possible. The troll is useless, as is standard.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

uPen posted:

Have we thrown up a discord for the new game?

Those of us now playing are using this discord. https://discord.gg/cyz32Y

Jester Mcgee posted:

I picked up the Legendary Edition so I guess it's time to play Blood Bowl again. I'm having trouble deciding what team to make. I love chaos, but I already have a highly developed chaos team and I've played a ton of games with them so I'm looking for something different.

What I like about chaos is that i don't have to try and keep them in a low TV bracket because they basically just get better and better, and that they aren't all that squishy.

So what team should I play?

Play Necro. Not very squishy, regen on everyone but ghouls. They can bash hard on a couple of players. Werewolves become horrifyingly effective after getting block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I wouldn't think that Underworld would be anywhere near that low simply because they get native access to claw pombers.

• Locked thread