Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTmlWflYJA

What is Blood Bowl?
Blood Bowl is what happens when the creatures from Games Workshop's Warhammer universe put down their knives/axes/bolters/lasguns and pick up some shoulder pads and a helmet. As the coach and team manager, you put together a team of Elf/Orc/Skaven players, square off against an opponent, and prepare yourself for 16 turns of death/failure/embarassment/occasional victory.

This is also Blood Bowl.

Why Should I Blood Bowl?
Blood Bowl is a really unique mix of rugby/football, tabletop wargaming, and team management. The back and forth of trying to score past your opponent or kill their players while scoring over the corpses, while not getting scored on or murdered yourself is fun enough, but you also get to build up your team, give them skills on levelups, and allow them to start to develop strengths and roles as they rise from Rookies to Legends. Because Blood Bowl is a turn based game, it's also compared a bit to chess, but the kind of chess where you roll 2d6 to gently caress up somebody's face. Blood Bowl will make you feel like a hero as you triumph in a hard-won battle, and take everything from you the very next match as your star player eats it trying to dodge away from an innocent enemy lineman.

Cool, How Can I Start?
There are a couple ways to take part in the sport of kings.

Blood Bowl 2 - BB2 recently launched in beta, so if you preordered it you should be able to check it out now. The beta lets you play as Humans, Orcs, Skaven or Dwarves for the time being. It'll be launching on Steam, PS4 and XBox One on September 22nd.

Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition - BB:CE has been around for a couple years, and has been the standard for goon leagues and pickup matches. While it lacks the visual pinache of BB2, it has 21 (22?) races and still uses the same rules as BB2. It's available on Steam, and I'm sure there are some console versions but I heard they are straight garbage.

FUMBBL - Are you a straight up grog? Do you like your Blood Bowl fast, with no frills, efficient, and tough as nails? Want to not spend a single cent? FUMBBL might be the place for you. FUMBBL is a free site, supported by its members and built by tabletop enthusiasts, with 24(?) races, a lot more features missing from the 3D Cyanide games, and a flat, clean, 2D Java-based game client. It's available at fumbbl.com

Tabletop - Blood Bowl started as a tabletop game, presumably there are people still playing it out there? I donno.

How Do I Play With Goons?
Obviously this thread, but there is also
IRC - #tgbloodbowl on irc.synirc.org - You can use http://cgiirc.synirc.net/ to join if you don't wanna download an IRC client in TYOOL 2015

Want to join a goon BloodBowl 2 League? Of course you do! Just follow these simple instructions:
1. Find GoonleagueSA on the game server and request to join the LoserLadder.
2. Send a pm to forum user Brassherald, or an email to brassheraldsa@gmail.com, telling him your team's name as well as the SA name if you are emailing. (Don't want no pubbies in this league)
3. When he is around, he'll approve and you'll get a ticket, accept that ticket and join the rest of the losers on this ladder.

and maybe others? If there's a place where people are talking about Blood Bowl, lemme know and I'll throw it in here.
IRC is probably the best place to find goon vets willing to help/poach newbies, or likeminded new players you can swap war stories with

The Rulebook
http://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CRP1.pdf
Here's a copy of the current rulebook, LRB6 aka CRP. It's a useful resource for checking stats, numbers, etc. I don't know if I'd recommend reading it cover to cover at the start, but it's full of great information.

So, feel free to share some amazing stories or screenshots, or just ask questions!

More importantly, tell me about BB2, I haven't played it but I've heard good and bad things

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

beep be-beep beep beep beep Breaking News

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but the xml files and poo poo for the game are really easily readable, and box wine over on IRC posted a list of races that were in an XML file

Human, High Elf, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Skaven, Chaos, Brettonia, Lizardmen, Wood Elf, Chaos Pact

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things has never been in a Cyanide Game and hasn't been announced

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

As much as I hate the elitist attitude behind using the word "consolify", there are a lot of UI/UX choices which seem like they're meant to make the game look slick and pretty and a bit simplified. Walking back on simple stuff like the pass range grid, map grid, player names, visible tackle zones, etc which was meant presumably for people who have played the game for a while, since stuff like names and the grid are turned off by default. I understand that, say, the team roster menu in CE:LE/CE:BB is pretty dense and is literally just a table, but if you know what you're looking at you can pretty easily parse what's going on.

I do like that they labeled the pitch vertically because I'm bad at counting how many squares I am from the end zone.

BTW If you path near the ball will your player try to walk over it?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Like realistically pass block is probably the highest ratio of easy/hard to implement so it's probably just not in the game yet

And even if cyanide just says "Pass Block is not a thing anymore" I don't think I've ever taken it as a skill anyway

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

On the topic of murder + telling good blood bowl stories, some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game was running a cheated, farmed up minmaxed hypermurder clawpomb Chaos squad against clueless pubbbies.

I ended a game with 13 CASes and a KO scored against a 14 man halfling team. I almost felt bad. Almost.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The ladies love my resourcefulness and the fact that I didn't spend 200 hours poopsocking a team meant for brainless murder

How have Brettonians been faring? The roster looks like they're meant to play like lovely discount Amazons. Having 4 players who start with Wrestle is cool and all but the stats across the team are uninspiring and the Wrestle units are the ones with Strength access so presumably you want them standing upright.

Reading some of the design concepts and playstyles, a lot of people seem to note that the team plays a ground running style but are not very strong so they don't hold up well against a 2-1 grindy bash team, which leaves them a bit in limbo. Wrestle on all your players makes it even easier for elves to clear tackle zones to run through, as well. Nothing wrong with adding a team which isn't amazing, or even necessarily good, but why make a new race when you have 20+ to choose from already? The bad teams in the game are at least entertaining, Brets just look tedious. Pretty unexciting skill access across the board as well.

e- Oh looks like you can't play them yet

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 17, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Raged posted:

What is a good site for team guides and strats?

https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6RaceStrategy

and

http://bbtactics.com/

are my favorites

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Count Bleck posted:

Are you going to be doing LPs on BloodBowl 2 when it comes out are you taking a break after PRO ELVES BEST ELVES?

Nope, I'll let somebody else do the LP thing after I'm done

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 17, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

KyloWinter posted:

I got an agi4 beastman that rolled agility point again. Do I take him to agi 5 or is that overkill? (no other skills learned yet)

AG6 is overkill. AG5 is worth its weight in gold.

AG 5 is the point at which you can dodge into a single tackle zone on a 2+ and pick up the ball in a single tackle zone on a 2+, both of which come up often enough for him to be useful. Just know that everybody you play against will want to destroy him. Getting the SPP to get to the next level shouldn't be that bad either, because an AG5 player doesn't have much problem finding the end zone (assuming he doesn't get blitzed to death along the way)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Has anybody even asked cyanide why they added brets?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Haroshia posted:

Wood Elf bullshit is incredibly fun. Just putting that out there. I've never played a real finesse team in Blood Bowl before, and changing my mindset is proving a bit difficult, but actually being able to get away with crazy poo poo and score touchdowns is fun.

Is it generally worthwhile to try to dodge your linemen out of tackle zones if they're facing a 2 die block, or just take the hit? As far as I can tell it's worth it to try for the dodges, but only at the end of the turn. It also seems to be a good idea to keep them on the ground unless you need them to be up, purely because people will tend to wander away from them and leave them as a viable pass target.

Yup, you've pretty much got it. The only time you might want to consider not dodging away is if keeping that opposing player tied up and taking the hit is beneficial to you

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

It is worth losing your first couple games to try and stuff the ball down your sauruses throat to get them TD SPP. Skink levels are the bane of any lizard coach

Trundle down the field with your skunk BC, get in saurus scoring range, out a saurus in a cage, try to hand the ball off, if he can't catch it whatever it's in s billion TZ.

Once you get all your sauruses block they can get their own levels pretty easily so you don't need to feed them TD's

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 25, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

in case some of you missed it, there's a goon BB2 league, here's the text about it which I added to the OP

Want to join a goon BloodBowl 2 League? Of course you do! Just follow these simple instructions:
1. Find GoonleagueSA on the game server and request to join the LoserLadder.
2. Send a pm to forum user Brassherald, or an email to brassheraldsa@gmail.com, telling him your team's name as well as the SA name if you are emailing. (Don't want no pubbies in this league)
3. When he is around, he'll approve and you'll get a ticket, accept that ticket and join the rest of the losers on this ladder.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

i would assume any teams can be brought in or out freely at any TV

Just meant to be a place for goons to play against other goons and avoid spinning against the rabble

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

God drat it that makes me really want to buy blood bowl 2

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Haroshia posted:

Just had a Chaos player full on ragequit on the second turn. Things weren't even going that bad. He just frenzy blocked one of my Wardancers to the sidelines, and I crowdsurfed it. Thing didn't even get injured. Next turn he fouled one of my linemen, and conceded.

I don't understand these people.

I don't think they understand what concedeing does

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Krakatoah posted:

Should I bother with a thrower on a skaven team? Seems like a Gutter Runner would be able to do as a better replacement with some skills down the line but I'm not too certain.

You are correct that Gunners are actually the best throwers on Skaven but at least one actual thrower is worth picking up because while linos are 50k, throwers are 70k, start with two actual useful skills for ballhandling (Pass/Sure Hands) and have Pass access on singles, meaning you can pick up Leader for a cheap reroll.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I hate to break it to you all, but the major changes and bug fixes you are waiting for will not be coming in the timeframe you think they will be. Cyanide will take actual years fixing only the most egregious bugs in the game

A confirmed, 100% reproduceable game crashing bug in BBLE took like two years to fix (sidestep+shadowing+frenzy)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Haroshia posted:

Dauntless and blodge or wrestle+dodge (Wroge?) is still a pretty easy option for them to get though, assuming they can survive. Seems like that would at least make them adequate.

I think one or two welf catchers is fine, the fact that the linos are all MA7 means you can sneak any one of them downfield to become a good receiving threat.

Wardancers are the better Strip Ball/Frenzy/Dauntless/Tackle/Wrestle(? if you're a madman) option because of their natural leapitude.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I can't remember if this is implemented anywhere or is even a thing since LRB4 but at one point if you conceded, each of your level 4 and higher players was supposed to roll dice to see if they just leave the team out of disgust.

Obviously because Cyanide can't deal with cordpulling, it is a bit harder to stop that from happening. The only other solution is moderation, as in "This guy has a history of mysteriously disconnecting against bash teams so we report and kick him"

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Blood bowl is a hundred hours of grueling buildup and backbreaking disappointment. You either become a turbosperg bashlord hell bent on being boring and trying to win without ever losing a player or you reach zen enlightenment

All is dust.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If a dwarf team spent the whole game knocking down my linos and gang fouling I would simply laugh my way to the end zone

I am an ascended being, who has shed the cares of mortals and aspires to walk the path of victory.

You can crush my team but you will never crush my spirit

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Blooming Brilliant posted:

*+STR Wardancer dies from a 1DB from a Dwarf Runner, Apo rerolls another death*

How's your spirit now?

Bound to happen eventually, I finish winning and buy a new Wardancer, or save up for a new one if I don't have the dosh

One door closing is just a new door opening. Shalom.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Passing is really easy, killing is not

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Arx Monolith posted:

How does one go about doing this? I know what an irc is, but in my day they were called 'chat rooms' and it was just a website you went to. I never wrapped my head around IRCs.

From the OP

IRC - #tgbloodbowl on irc.synirc.org - You can use http://cgiirc.synirc.net/ to join if you don't wanna download an IRC client in TYOOL 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Evernoob posted:

When matched against a higher TV team, or when you just have cash to burn, what inducements do you guys usually take?

Is my choice of BW-babe, Wandering Apo, Reroll in that order the logical choice?

Depends on my team, and my opponent.

50k-90k - 1 Babe
100k-140k - RR or Apo (I don't think I have ever bought two babes)
150k up - Wizard? Or a handful of whatever stuff. Maybe a star player if I can swing it and it's a good player.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If you're playing fumbbl you buy the chainsaw star player and a bribe

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

SirFozzie posted:

One of these days I'll join the SA league.. and probably be the most hated coach in the league (I love my smashy grindy teams)

Smashy grindy is the status quo for most goons tho. We love our bash teams.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sorry for being s killjoy that dude is just farming reactions for the Griefing thread so maybe think about just ignoring him if you don't agree

Foul if you want, I'm not about that life personally but if you just foul everybody all day during goon on goon action you will pretty quickly run out of people who will play you.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

dogstile posted:

hah, I only posted to the griefing thread after people flipped their poo poo at me stomping on a pubbie nobody :shrug:

Sure but I figured they should know there were people making fun of their overreactions

I almost did the same thing when I posted about blowing up pubbies with a minmaxed, farmed clawpomb murder squad and a couple people called me a cheater and one of them said I must be popular with the ladies

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Coolguye posted:

shows what they know i drop so many panties with my chaos murderer team you don't even know it's just pussy all night all day erry week

There is nothing hotter than piling on some bozo who thought he could step with this

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why would you just foul t16? :colbert:

Other than to troll or try and murder somebody's statfreak player?

In open play you gain nothing from T16 fouls.

In a league you theoretically might face that guy again in the playoffs so fouling now could pay dividends later but that's even a long shot.

So it's mostly just to make your opponent mad or to voice your displeasure in how the game went.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Some teams are express built to foul every turn so sure go hog wild

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Tortuga posted:

This would make sense though. If you pile on a dead guy, can you reanimate him?

You can't Pile On a Casualty

piling on a KO to try and get a CAS is the proest move in blood bowl

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Isn't conceding like that against fumbbl rules? It would rule if you could get that guy banned

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The best way to gently caress up POMBers is to be AV7 already and just score while they're loving you up, or have your own POMBers to gently caress them up first.

POMBers exist to counter high armor value bash that tends to rise to high TV because they are really hard to kill. Like Orcs.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

FoolyCharged posted:

By this logic the best way to play is for everyone to be skaven and put sprint + surefeet on every gunner until you get a +Movement one. At that point every match will play like that fumbbl one with like 16 points on each side or whatever it was.

You guys do know there's a middle ground between 1TTD speed touchdown scorelords and turbostall hypercage bashbarons right?

It's where the normal people exist

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I play blood bowl to have fun. Stalling, or being stalled on, is not fun to me

I'm not in the business of telling others how to have fun but YMMV

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

ZigZag posted:

Yes so balanced, hf running into this in your second match after you bought your apo:

pestigor block, claw mb po and tackle 180
pestigor block, claw mb po and tackle 180
pestigor block, claw,mb po and tackle 180
pestigor block, sh, leader 150
rotter 40
rotter 40
rotter 40
rotter 40
rotter 40
rotter 40
rotter 40
rr 1 70

or 11 amazons with blodge and 4 guard vs your fresh team.

its balanced for a medium lenght league say 14 to 30 matches in that span even haflings and to some extent gobbos can play.

The easy solution is that you just cordpull anybody who is clearly low TV minmax trimming like that, they will never find a match and we will see another victory for the free market.

Also what sociopath finds joy in cherrypicking literal fresh teams for wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Washout posted:

Anyone who only plays bash is a big whiny baby. Real men play pro elves.

This checks out

• Locked thread