Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I see a lot of folks loathe playing against dwarves. What are some decent ways to actually beat them with a physical team like Orks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
After two horribly failed attempts at making a Human team for BB2, (Permanent injuries in the first game on multiple characters), I made an orky team like I'm used to. The Terribad Boyz are doing pretty well, with only three losses to eight wins. I even managed to roll +Agi on a lineman and a Blitzer, which really helps my running game.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
One thing I'm hoping they changed between the Beta and Release is the visual look of rookie/veteran/star players. They had it in BB1, and I hope they keep it here. I want my ostentatious headgear!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
My 1520 Orc team got stuck up against a 1730 Dwarf squad with a death roller. I lost, but only just. I even managed to injure more players than they did, though the game took over an hour.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of Dwarves, does anyone have some tips on how to deal with the Death Roller?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

MRLOLAST posted:

There is a spectate feature! This is awsome, I did not know that. Is there a Goon Bloodbowl coach list/ group anywhere?

Someone should probably make one.

Coach: Talmonis
Team(s): Terribad Boyz (orc), Guttertown Kingsmen (human)

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
For Brettonians it seems that the use of the blockers and their Wrestle skill, is to clear holes with them that way. This weekend when I have enough time to screw around, I'll see what I can do with them.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Had the misfortune of running into a 1970 TV chaos team last night. Half their team were CPOMB with guard. The rest were just missing guard, minus the ball carrier. gently caress that noise. What could a 1640 Orc team possibly do in that situation and win? (I didn't chance it. Sue me.)

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Fellblade posted:

I need some bone themed names for my Orc team, happy to go with pretty much anything recognisable + bones.

I've got an initial lineup but I wanna get some replacement names in the bag.

Unfortunately playing on console at the moment since my PC sucks, otherwise I'd be playing with goons.

Clone Bone. "You're just not doing it right."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
So after a pathetic display by my human team, in which even though we did nearly everything right, they were clown balled by Dark Elves. We even had the same setup, 4 blitzers and 7 linemen, and even having 5 rerolls to his 2, was utterly out bashed out maneuvered and out scored. Sure it was utterly disgraceful amounts of double skulls, but still...

Looking at the stats I have to wonder? What the hell is the point of a human team if DE's have all that plus a point of agility?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Victor Vermis posted:

Human blitzers have strength access. Elf blitzers don't. It's pretty huge.

But yeah Humans are kinda poopy.

Ah, now see that is important. Thanks.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Raged posted:

I'm talking in the big main league and all leagues that require a brand new team. You won't ever catch me playing in a league that does not require a brand new team to enter. If I'm going to be in a small league like a goon on then it's going to be a new team league.

The only team of high TV on the goon league currently is my Orc team. Don't sweat it, as I'm not using them until people get up to that TV. Wouldn't be fun. Come play on the Goon league.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of which, anyone up for a game tonight? I'll be on around 8 EST with my poo poo Human team.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

JackDarko posted:

Well that was fun, thanks to whoever that was I learned some valuable lessons. Also need to learn how to set up a touchdown.

We're you the Chaos team, or the Lizard team?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Some brutal and supremely fun matches tonight. My strength 4 Blitzer now has a twin brother. Not looking forward to nuffle setting things right with their inevitable demise, but until then? Go go human missiles.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

JackDarko posted:

I was the double injury start lizard team.

You did well for someone starting out. Mainly I'd recommend keeping your skinks away from enemy blockers, and to not let linemen distract your Saurus from attacking positionals and the ball carrier.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Ehhh unplayable is maybe too hard a phrase but there are teams that don't really do well at low TV, and its not really a fun thing to have happen to people, generally. Its more just a cost-benefit problem when you're in an open league and get pitted against 2500 TV Chaos Murderfuckers; sure you can maybe win but you probably won't and your attempt will potentially break your favorite doll men and cost you a lot of gold for a completely pointless pyrrhic victory, so why even play? It'd be nice to have a system where a person would look forward to playing games instead of running to the hills.

there's probably a really clever and effective solution out there but im too dumb to come up with it right now

The solution is to play in the Goonleague, where funhaving happens and we all seem to play to win. 28 teams for now, we need a shitload more...especially around 8-10pm EST.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I think part of the problem is that matches take upwards of an hour, (bb2) and who wants to spend that time just losing your players and even the game. People would rather concede than sit through that.

Worse, if they start to heavily penalize conceding/disconnects, those same people will just stop playing entirely.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The reward for having a match conceded to you is way too high, I agree. It's probably how most of those 2000+ chaos teams got to that point in one piece.

Bring your wood elves. I want to punch them and try to score while doing so. My favorite race to play against is Skaven for this reason. Nothing feels better than ending a game 3-2 and having 3-4 injured linerats giving me SPP.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Losing a star player is pretty cool (especially if it's to something weak like a Catcher or Skaven Gutter runner). Losing half your team, is quite uncool unless you're really rolling in the Touchdown SPP's.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I think my favorite deaths in Blood Bowl are when someone banana peels while Going For It and winds up a smear. It's also why "Why Botha Stadium" of my Orc team (Terribad Boyz) has an Astrogranite playing surface for the +1 injury roll. :getin:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'm on now, waiting for a match if anyone is interested

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Brassherald posted:

Have gotten a pm about adding officers to the league to add on. If this is something people would like to expedite the process, I'm fine with it, so let me know if you want to volunteer to be an officer.

I'll do it, I'm on a lot at night, and watch the IRC.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
We need more people in goonleague to make it playable. Bring your teams from wherever, it's not new only.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
What's a good way to level a chaos team to be effective, while still being a funhaver? I like the idea of having a bash monster or two on hand, (Block, Tackle, Claw, Mighty blow) but feel like piling on is kinda lame for playing the ball purposes. What should the other two Chaos warriors take? How about Beastmen and a Minotaur (Minotaurs are Fun)?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
It's true, we need more players for BB2 Goonleague. Shoot Brassherald or myself a PM and we'll add your team.

Also, few things are funnier than surfing a 3 star Minotaur (for an injury) with a beastman in revenge for his fellow goatdude. Managed to beat a 1400 chaos team with my 1020 chaos 2-0. Poor bastard had no idea how to properly play the ball.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

ZigZag posted:

This is the true online bb experience. Never set the timer to more than 2 min.

It is odd that we have four minute turns in goonleague. Not that anyone ever takes remotely that long.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I just want my Undead. Wightball, bestball.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Jester Mcgee posted:

I love it when I play a good game and the other coach is cool, but there is something special about games where the other guy is a whiny baby.

My favorite game last night was an NAF game of Chaos on Chaos, in which the guy complained that I was boring for caging, boring for playing the ball, whined about my luck (while he kept throwing pointless 1d blocks with no reroll), and kept rage fouling my beastmen with only 1 or two of his own, failing grandly every time. The match ended up 2-0, two hurt Chaos warriors(his), a dead beastman(his), and my minotaur KO'd.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Would a competitive Dwarf team be possible in high TV's? What sort of skills would it take to get there?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Stagger_Lee posted:

I wouldn't have the balls to take anything bashy without claw into the main BB2 perpetual league right now. I think 3 out of 4 games once I popped up above 1400 tv have been against Chaos taking claw and might blow before block. They are easy to beat, but it makes any AV more than 7 feel like a waste.

Oh I play in Goonleague, I don't worry about NAF.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I've been experimenting with disturbing presence on a few of my beastmen, and it's had some hilarious results in foiling elfball plans. Suddenly, picking up a ball unskilled isn't an automatic thing. And throwing into coverage is a disaster.

I think I'll make two or three beastmen with Disturbing Presence, tentacles, and other annoying abilities for a saftey.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
If the Russian guy is a Dark Elf player on the NAF, Rygar and I ran into him yesterday as well. He conceded on the first turn when I spiked a lineman for a KO, and a Witch Elf for an injury. "No skill noob bash coward!" He jabbers in broken english before conceding.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

1K Dollar Chair posted:

funny lizardman mirror game, thanks for playing with me. I lucked out so hard and still lost because I am bad and also not good

It was a blast. The whole second half a slogging brawl and the ball done up in chicken grease.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Really need more people to play with in Goonleague's Loser Ladder (BB2). Particularly 8-11 EST.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

JackDarko posted:

I'll be on today I usually hit the match making button and wait 15 mins hoping someone is doing the same.

Get on the IRC channel if it doesn't pop immediately. One of us is usually around.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'm kind of in love with my new Dark Elf team.

My first match was a mirror against anoter Delf team, which I beat 2-0, sustaining a gouged eye injury on a lineman.

Match two was ugly. Equal TV against Orcs, who it appeared all of their SPP went onto a blitzer with Mighty Blow and Piling On. The first turn starts with him getting blitz on the kickoff, which he used to first stun, then piling on to pinch the nerve of a lineman. I knew right away that that fucker had to go. On my turn, I knocked the blitzer over, surrounded him, and fouled for a KO. Felt good man. Went on to take a 3-1 lead as he started getting bitchy, fouling every turn on linemen, getting 2 of his 3 remaining black orcs (One I injured) thrown out. I did lose a lineman to an untimely demise at the hands of a black orc's 1 die block, but got enough to buy an assassin to replace him. Because Assassins are fun.

So after 2 games, I've got a blitzer with guard, another with dodge and two more with 5 and 3 SPP respectively. Can't wait to be able to afford my Witch Elves and third reroll.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Washout posted:

Don't buy witch elves until all your blitzers have 2 or 3 skills. Otherwise they are going to steal all the spp for themselves. Plus the team is just plain better without them. Do you have a runner? Block-NOS-Leader is good on them.

I don't have a Runner just yet. What's wrong with Witch Elves? Do they just bloat the TV too much? I like having a truly harassing defense.

Bruceski posted:

Embrace the RNG, love the RNG. My favorite game is one where a Pitch Invasion stunned 10 of my players and 1 of the other guy's. We laughed our asses off about it in chat while he waltzed down the field.

I hate it when this sort of thing happens, and he sets about fouling and crowd surfing the remaining players on my team.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I've gone full "gently caress it" funhaver with my Dark Elves. Few things have been more comical to me than watching a Skaven player actually hide his 4 Star Rat Ogre from my assassin after the first time he APO'd away a Fouling death. I made that poor bastard brawl to save his stars instead of score. Scoring is for Blodging, Sidestepping blitzers.

Assassins with dirty player and sneaky git make low armored superstars cry. Especially with a bribe or two. Elfbrawl > Elfball. (I'm sure this will change dramatically at about 2000 when I have to deal with more than one or two CPOMB's on a team)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Evernoob posted:

Why would you put those skills on an assassin? To hurt them if they get up, and hurt them if they stay down?
As if the assassin wouldn't be an aggro magnet already.

I was laughing really hard last week when my opponent accused me from being a "lame fouler" when all I did was gathering no less than 5 peasants around his prone assassin in the 3rd turn of the game.

Yes. Also to chase them with Shadowing if they do move. And yes, I'd rather the Assassin be the aggro Magnet instead of the Witch Elves or Blitzers. It works in my favor thus far, as they overcommit to getting to him, man marking and swarming instead of playing zone. He's never alone, so it's not as easy to foul him, and it takes a blitz to get to him. Next turn, he and the linemen just dodge backwards while the blitzers and witch elves either attack the ball carrier, or carry the ball through the gaping holes. So far the best defense against him has been to just tie him and my linemen with their linemen. The fight goes nowhere and it's harder to get at key pieces.

• Locked thread