Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Okay so it's been all this time and
I still don't get Papyrus's "If it isn't my good friend, who trusts me" speech after Alphys's date?

Like I can tell that it's supposed to come off as super sketchy but

why? I don't understand what's going on in this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

BanhMi posted:

I mean for 10 bucks it wasn't the worst purchase I've ever made

Yes, I can certainly see that, "BanhMi".

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
I have done nothing but listen to Undertale music for three days.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Hellbunny posted:

He died by the common cold.

Chara killed themself deliberately, by eating toxic buttercups.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Macaluso posted:

On Super Beard Bros, The Completionist didn't realize you could move left and right when Papyrus turns you blue. That's like the third time I've seen that happen. I'm not amazing at video games, I tend to play a lot of them on easy mode if there's a difficulty option. But it's mind boggling to me that there's actually people that didn't realize you couldn't move left and right on that fight. Like they don't even try! It's extra funny with Jirard, because he's beaten some REALLY hard games to 100% them for his show

It is a bizarrely common error.

Maybe Pap should mention it in his first fight, the way he already mentions that you can hold Up longer to jump higher.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Tengames posted:

in a year we'll be playing games like with the sonic OCs where you type in a random font's name plus "the skeleton" and try to figure out which ones wont have an undertale OC show up.

What "in a year"? I'm playing that game now. Oh boy, fixedsys the skeleton exists. (Who even uses that font anymore?)

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
One of Undyne's lines implies that at least one human has reached Asgore and gotten killed by him. But it's not solid.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I strongly suggest you start up undertale and pay attention to the opening.

You mean the bit where, in the full game, the Loox is replaced with a goatmonster, except once, when Flowey takes over?

That's the part establishing it as the demo opening, here.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Mettaton isn't confirmed trans, but his story is so evocative of the trans narrative (and clearly not by accident) that it's pretty reasonable to read him that way despite a lack of solid evidence one way or the other.

imo

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
They're now claiming that the other fandoms "fought with honor" and that somehow, asking your friends who also like a game to vote for it in a "which game do more people like" poll is "dishonorable".

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Pokemon and SMW were better games than SM64 and also have more Nostalgia Points, imo

the only advantage SM64 should have over them is that the Undertale hatedom has gotten larger and angrier since the last rounds.

I'm not sure how big of an advantage that is...

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
>radical liberalism

I think both radicals and liberals would take offense to those words being put together that way.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Raserys posted:

Just glancing at GameFAQs makes it look like the site, and its userbase, hasn't evolved in the past 10 years, so I could believe most of it is unironic.

GameFAQs was my primary source of social interaction 10 ish years ago, and a quick glance at the boards I frequented then doesn't show any huge changes, so. You're pretty spot-on, there.

It even has the same popular users. It's actually kind of unsettling how little it's changed.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

My only stance on this naming debacle is that the wiki's insistence that a "No Mercy Run" is not an alternate name for a Genocide/Omnicide/Pure Evil/Max LOVE/Bad Time/Electric Galoshes/Whatever Run, but rather just a Neutral run where you don't use the Mercy option, is really, really dumb.

The real reason this is dumb is that because of this people call the "you killed all the bosses and a lot of mooks" ending the "No Mercy" ending, but you can technically also get the "King Mettaton" ending without ever touching the Mercy button. :colbert:

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Okay so

the demo manual says you can gain EXP by hurting monsters and then Sparing them

but is this actually true? I played through a fair bit of the demo just now, specifically to see that, but I never gained EXP except when I accidentally killed the monster. (Or when I ate the Vegetoid on purpose to see how the text was different.)

I'm pretty sure I tried it on every available enemy except Napstablook and Toriel.

related: even the demo manual very carefully never calls them "experience" points. I guess the "execution points" twist had already been planned, at least to some extent.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
I mean, I know you can't gain EXP that way in the final game, I'm talking specifically about the demo here.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Many people call characters they love "baby" regardless of actual age, especially characters of their own design.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Keiya posted:

Also Disturbing Sister Chara is probably second only to Evil Houseplant Flowey for my favorite dumb fan comic setting.
Consider, for your entertainment: a single AU which is both of these simultaneously.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Whole lotta people getting Undertale now, or as a Christmas stocking stuffer.
I mean, I meant to buy one copy, for my sister, but Steam has that handy little "your friends want this game" list right there on the store page...

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
"All right, Frisk, I'll authorize you to use the Dusty Tutu."

i never actually played other m, i just know some stuff

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Iretep posted:

A genocide run ends once you stop killing everyone in each area. So if you killed everyone in CORE only then you cant start a genocide run. Once you leave an area and come back there are no random encounters there anymore and instead the monsters there become NPCs.

The CORE still has random encounters after you've overcome Mettaton. It continues to have random encounters until you receive Undyne's Letter.

The other three areas do operate the way you said, though, so this is unusual and therefore probably a bug.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Qrr posted:

I'm sure that somewhere in there he found a way to the surface
If he had ever got out of the barrier, he'd probably have started taking human SOULs. We know this didn't happen because the outside world isn't a charred husk of death.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

YES bread posted:

yes this exactly dude. it doesn't actually offer the choice, so it is not a But Thou Must. the entire reason the term came about as a thing is events in jprgs where you are explicitly given a option that the game then disregards

come ooooon

"Choice" here meaning "decision of some kind", not "yes/no dialogue box precisely".

I know you're trying very hard to pretend your argument isn't about the term "But Thou Must" as defined on tvtropes dot org but it clearly is and that web site also has a thing called "tropes are flexible", which this whole discussion falls very neatly into.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
see this is all about Getting The Girl

the goat king who did a few murders was punished properly by getting no smooches but crushing loneliness forever

but the nerd lizard who did some lies ended up receiving 9999 smoochies and this is a vile miscarriage of justice

i feel i need to pre-emptively clarify that i'm joking, here

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

As funny as clever copy protection is, it's hard to get it to work right so that it doesn't occasionally screw over legitimate customers (which would be a major awful thing), and it usually doesn't take long for pirates to get past it anyway. It'd make for a few funny stories probably, but it'd be a lot of work for little to no real gain.

I guess the most foolproof way to avoid that would be to have a whole different copy of the game that activates the copy-protection code 100% of the time, leak that onto pirate sites yourself, and don't even put the copy-protection code in the legit game.

That sounds like effort.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
"Undyne, this is my OC the Ultimate Skeleton of Hyperfriendship, and"

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Start the game, put in a name, and let's see how far either one gets while you aren't doing anything on the keyboard.

Confirmed: Frisk and Chara are literally mindless marionettes.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

The only thing that confuses me about this is that, at the end of his post-pacifist-ending plea, Flowey identifies you as Chara. Why does he do that if he's talking directly to the player?

You're not Chara, but Flowey thinks you are? He knows there's someone there other than Frisk, and it would be a convenient explanation (from his perspective) as to why he thought Frisk was Chara when they're not all that alike.

You don't exactly have the option to speak up and say "Actually Chara's not me, I'm someone else and your best friend has just been totally dead this whole time."

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
re: the True Pacifist ending in Sans's lab surviving even after a True Reset

either it doesn't, or somehow there's more conditions to it than just "see the ending where you get the photo". I saw both True Pacifist endings on my first run, and the photo wasn't in Sans's lab on my second run.

It may be that it only appears after you reload, and go back to the postgame walkabout. Or it might just appear the moment you save Asriel. I haven't tested either of those and also I forgot to get Sans's key in my current run so I can't check.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

McFrugal posted:

It might be that you need to get that ending last, without loading your game afterwards. Just go straight from credits to reset.

My memory's kinda poo poo so I'm not 100% here, but I'm fairly sure I did that.

Has anyone in here actually seen the thing we're discussing earlier than the postgame walkabout? Like, personally, in your own game?

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Nobody remembers Gaston.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

stringball posted:

Bad time silly questions: what happens if you kill undyne the undying get go spare Glyde then go to the lab.

This is not a thing which is possible to do. If you depopulate Snowdin, Glyde won't appear anymore. If you don't depopulate Snowdin, your uh-oh hour will end when you fight Papyrus.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Someone asked about optimal gear for a True Pacifist run and this didn't come up: For some reason, while wearing the Bandage, fleeing always succeeds when it's possible at all. You can't put it back on if you go fashionista for the Mettaton EX fight, but there's no fights left that you can flee from at that point anyway. (unless you like. turn around and gently caress around in the CORE for some reason. but there's no reason to do that afaik)

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Qrr posted:

the picture in Sans' basement

preeeeetty sure that's not correct

Have you seen it personally? Because when I looked for it after my True Reset, it wasn't there.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/no-more-tumblr-players/olffebgbihkemhnlpeficnplfoiabljj?hl=en

Problem solved forever.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

It's also the only one you can one-shot at LV1, so I'd imagine it exists to suck existing RPG players into the meta-tutorial route of neutral, kill toriel, get berated, reload, spare toriel, get the Flowey revelation about knowledge, and get berated for not sparing the other monsters, then reset, pacifist ruins, then possibly pacifist rest of the game

I only tested this in the demo for some reason but the "you killed Toriel and then reloaded to spare her" conversation seems to override the "you spared Toriel but killed other monsters" one.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

SuitDude posted:

what does GamerGate think about this game? is what I'm wondering

I haven't heard a word on this game from anyone I know to be part of the reproductively viable worker ant crowd.

I've heard accusations that it's "an SJW game", but the reasoning is always just absurd enough that I'm never certain whether it's a troll or not.
"It focuses on nonviolence and bi-sexual relationships." I know there are real people dumb enough to have that be their takeaway, but I also know most people don't qualify.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Truly, the most pathetic thing in this world is when a person engages with fictional media to a deeper extent than the amount I personally happen to the inherently objectively acceptable amount. :colbert:

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Fangz posted:

Pretty much. Except the Easter egg in Sans' secret lab.

The one related to clamgirl? Because I still have yet to see anyone report personally seeing the other one after a True Reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Yaws posted:

I haven't played too much of this but when does it delve into this alleged progressive angle?

Well, various characters are gay, and various other characters can be interpreted as transgender or nonbinary. And as we all know, LGBT = SJW.

• Locked thread