Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly
What if Papyrus... and Sans... are brothers?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What if this thread was good

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

flatluigi posted:

hosed up thought, that

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Stop living in fantasies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Me reading this thread right now

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The game is strong enough on its own merits that a player might be willing to humor it and not do another replay, feeling satisfied and complete with the content they've played through. A lesser game would not be able to pull off this kind of risk and the request would fall flat as laughable or melodramatic otherwise.

I mean, if nothing else, the psychotic trickster-murderer flower has a good point that you just stopped the final antagonist from doing exactly what he's cautioning you not to do. So if you felt any engagement at all with the story at the point where you felt the need to stop Asriel, the idea of turning around and doing the same thing he was threatening to do is a little weird and this should give you pause and make you think a little about the concept of "replay value" before you true reset in order to crack open the story's bones and suck any remaining content from the marrow in a geno run.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm taking him on good faith argument even though there's every reason for that not to be the case. It's better than everyone devolving into Internet slap fights, as has been pointed out earlier in the thread.

Don't get Lamp Reaped

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Is it just me or does Undertale seem especially popular in Korea?

E: I always find it fascinating to see how an American-made game is received abroad. :)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 11, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is it just me or does Undertale seem especially popular in Korea?
Probably due to the korean translation. I think the game will be popular anywhere if the translation is available for the local audience.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

I mean, if nothing else, the psychotic trickster-murderer flower has a good point that you just stopped the final antagonist from doing exactly what he's cautioning you not to do. So if you felt any engagement at all with the story at the point where you felt the need to stop Asriel, the idea of turning around and doing the same thing he was threatening to do is a little weird and this should give you pause and make you think a little about the concept of "replay value" before you true reset in order to crack open the story's bones and suck any remaining content from the marrow in a geno run.

Yeah it isn't rocket science. You're told, quite plainly, that you'll be doing the exact same thing the main villain wanted to do if you reset the game. It's not wrong, and your reasons for deciding that you are above that vilalinous influence or willing to accept that you should let the game be is entirely up to you. Your reaction to Undertale is why Undertale is interesting

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What if I posted a nice song a friend of my friend did
Click
x

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

This is why you do a genocide, wipe everything away from the game files, then clean slate for the true perfect run

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What if uninstalling the game = genocide?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Does a True Reset wipe out everything non-genocide? I'm getting my fiancee to play this and I want her to have a fresh experience, no cheeky "oh i see you did this already" stuff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChickenWing posted:

Does a True Reset wipe out everything non-genocide? I'm getting my fiancee to play this and I want her to have a fresh experience, no cheeky "oh i see you did this already" stuff.

Pretty much. Except the Easter egg in Sans' secret lab.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is why you do a genocide, wipe everything away from the game files, then clean slate for the true perfect run

This doesn't work exactly how you might expect

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RandomFerret posted:

Me reading this thread right now

Mettaton has a real leg up on the competition.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Guys, what if sans is Calvin?

Vanishing into the snow, wearing a hoodie, hanging out with someone scarf-wearing, taller and more optimistic... it all fits.

Next episode of Game Theory: How Calvin's Sled Fell into a Cave, Killing Him and Hobbes On Impact and Then Reanimating Them As Undead

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 11, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

Guys, what if sans is Calvin?

Vanishing into the snow, wearing a hoodie, hanging out with someone scarf-wearing, taller and more optimistic... it all fits.

Next episode of Game Theory: How Calvin's Sled Fell into a Cave, Killing Him and Hobbes On Impact and Then Reanimating Them As Undead

Canon with Lio???

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Fangz posted:

Pretty much. Except the Easter egg in Sans' secret lab.

The one related to clamgirl? Because I still have yet to see anyone report personally seeing the other one after a True Reset.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://chaoschain.tumblr.com/post/139088639413/jelloapocalypse-coulsart-janedoodles

i have no idea if this tumblr is cancer or not, but it's papyrus' theme run through an mp3 to midi converter and then back again

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sperglord Firecock posted:

http://chaoschain.tumblr.com/post/139088639413/jelloapocalypse-coulsart-janedoodles

i have no idea if this tumblr is cancer or not, but it's papyrus' theme run through an mp3 to midi converter and then back again

I checked and there's a comic where mettaton talks about sex eventually

Please delete your post and ban yourself you sick filth

(e: Also the post immediately before is them getting pissy at a rape victim for "demonizing men". God I hate these people so much)

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 12, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Undertale doesn't really teach any good metaphorical lessons, even the correct one is thematically muddled.

Your point is akin to saying the only way to get over being in love with someone is to stalk them until all possible bridges are burnt, so I don't think Undertale is the thing that's thematically muddled here. Like I said earlier, you give the Genocide run's double-subversion too much credit, and I suspect you don't know how relating to fictional characters works exactly.

Like, you do get that enjoying the writing of Alphys and saying "I hope Alphys has a good time" isn't the same thing as believing that Alphys is a real breathing dinosaur nerd, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYaQOM5Fq0Q

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Your point is akin to saying the only way to get over being in love with someone is to stalk them until all possible bridges are burnt, so I don't think Undertale is the thing that's thematically muddled here. Like I said earlier, you give the Genocide run's double-subversion too much credit, and I suspect you don't know how relating to fictional characters works exactly.

Like, you do get that enjoying the writing of Alphys and saying "I hope Alphys has a good time" isn't the same thing as believing that Alphys is a real breathing dinosaur nerd, right?

The gently caress's a "double subversion"

The genocide route is very straight-forward, you kill all the animes and discover the truth behind the fantasy.

Also

quote:

So having slept on it I still find myself unable to stop thinking about Undertale. I'd really like to replay it, but as I said before it really has put to point that doing so would be rather cruel to all of the characters in it, doubly so if I wanted to genocide things. So I guess I'll revisit it in a few yars? I dunno.

Not as same thing as astral marriage with Snape, but pretty close.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snape would be a terrible husband.

Anyway, this is a good remix of Finale: https://m.soundcloud.com/bowseh/undertale-finale-remix

Does anyone else know of any other good Finale remixes? Because I like Finale a lot.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Sure, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWiccvic10k&t=239s

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've never heard someone try to play the keyboard with their butt, but it probably sounds like this.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Oh my god, the laugh

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Did toriel or Asgore know chara intentionality poisoned himself? If so did they know about asriel and chara's plan?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

stringball posted:

Did toriel or Asgore know chara intentionality poisoned himself? If so did they know about asriel and chara's plan?

Nope. Indeed, by the tapes revealing it you see a message saying "I don't think the king has seen these. I don't think he should." or something like that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Tetracube posted:

I checked and there's a comic where mettaton talks about sex eventually

Please delete your post and ban yourself you sick filth

(e: Also the post immediately before is them getting pissy at a rape victim for "demonizing men". God I hate these people so much)

Such dishonrabru

Brb committing Sudoku

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you betrayed me first

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The gently caress's a "double subversion"

The genocide route is very straight-forward, you kill all the animes and discover the truth behind the fantasy.

That's exactly what I mean. You're acting like it is some sort of cosmic answer instead of a different way of engaging the fiction. You're assigning it too much thematic importance as though this ending to the game is somehow more special than that ending, that the fictional destruction of the fictional universe is special in some way, compared to the fictional happy ending of the fictional people in the fictional universe.

It's still an ending planned and programmed by Toby Fox et. al. It isn't some rebellion against storytelling unless you think getting Terra killed on the first Guards in Narshe is the same kind of truth, and that's just negativity, the lovely edgy teenager kind. As if the only way to break off with fiction is to generate the worst possible end state.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
He is just trolling at this point. Otherwise why isn't he in that real world that he loves so much, actually building something out of real matter that will only last a few years.

Still for all BravestOfTheLamps and alike, I wouldn't mind more neat fanart and other Undertale things being shown in this thread.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DLord posted:

He is just trolling at this point. Otherwise why isn't he in that real world that he loves so much, actually building something out of real matter that will only last a few years.

He wasn't able to beat Sans.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Or maybe it's rejection of all but the most cynical of readings and conclusions from a piece of fiction? But then why the emphasis on disengagement with it? His position only makes sense if I place too much emphasis on aloofness and edgy "happy endings are for babies :smug:"-ness to the point where I become too vested in a piece of fiction entirely to get the saddest ending out of it.

Basically, it's contrary to everything Undertale is trying to do entirely to be cynical. It's like seeing Romeo & Juliet and quipping that, well, they were gonna die anyway, so whatever. It reduces the value of pretty much any piece of fiction and I'm not sure what the point is unless it's to be uselessly smug on internet forums.

...Ah.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm not sure what the point is unless it's to be uselessly smug on internet forums.

...Ah.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

:shittypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Have anyone posted the new gif from the 'anime' artist?

• Locked thread