Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Finally an epilogue for Asgore and Toriel everyone can agree on

http://tgweaver.tumblr.com/post/131395556017/finally-an-epilogue-for-asgore-and-toriel-everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Eh, I really don't think Mettaton is a sociopath. He just gets a little high on his own celebrity and goes mad with power. Once he reconnects with his cousin and starts thinking about the needs of other people he quickly mellows out.

That's one of the key points to the game, isn't it?
By considering and connecting with other people, you start to be a better person.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Neutral ending spoilers:

I think this is the source? It might be a copycat. http://undriltale.tumblr.com/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I really love this.

The characters in Undertale (rightly) get a lot of praise, but the setting and locations are also really memorable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Internet Kraken posted:

I agree that Waterfall has some cool scenes but there's nothing really memorable about "snow area" and "hot area" unless you haven't played a game in the past 20 years.

Is there any flavor text that explains why Snowdin is filled with snow and trees despite being underground.

Snowdin wasn't as good as the waterfall, but I liked how it felt very open, especially in contrast to the ruins before. Granted, it's exactly as linear as any other location in the game.

"Hot area" was disappointing. Everything before the hotel was just so bland. It's probably the low point in the game, at least graphically.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lets hang out posted:

hotland owns because you knock out like 2 easy puzzles and then Mettaton does cool stuff, then you do it again, then you hang out with a spider lady

A lot of cool stuff happens in hotland. It's one of the better places in the game for cool stuff happening.

But outside the hotel and the core, it just looks super empty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SynthOrange posted:

But its got all the game show stuff, the guards, HOTS FLAMESMAN block pushy, Alphys facebooks, etc

Absolutely! Don't get me wrong, I am only criticizing the landscape itself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Alright, enough love. Let's bring some hate, or at least, like, misgivings. What could be done to improve the game? What are its big flaws, or at least areas with room for improvement?

The ruins are really the weakest point in the game. There are fewer unique monster encounters, and the random encounters get a little too frequent. Most of the puzzles send you back a room if you make a mistake, which can quickly get annoying, and it's a punishment hardly used in the later areas.

In a way, the Ruins are even weaker in the full game than they were in the demo, since the scene with Flowey relies on being the final part for a lot of it's impact.

On a visual level, the ruins are also much more plain than the most other areas. There are a lot of flat colors and not much detail, especially compared to the expansive woods in Snowdin or the wetlands in the waterfall are.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Internet Kraken posted:

Was anybody else bothered by New Home? I mean that place gets built up as your final destination for the entire game. You get some cool visuals of it off in the distance. Then when you finally make it there its a loving monochrome palette swap of the first area in the game :effort:

I really thought it worked very well. The first thing you learn about the King of the monsters is that he lives in an empty house.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KamikazePotato posted:

Also, general question: what's everyone's favorite song from the soundtrack? I love basically all of it, but for me the big standout is Hopes and Dreams.

It's hard for me to judge the songs objectively because they're so tied with the events in the game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you like Undertale enough that you want to spend money on it, I'd advocate buying the soundtrack from Toby rather than paying money to Something Awful to make an emoticon that'll never get used outside this one thread.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gloomy Rube posted:

Oh my gosh, you're right.

They're missing the fourth frog!

Of all the true facts that sound like playground rumors, that there actually is a fourth frog in that room is somehow the most baffling to me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well people were theorizing earlier that Flowey was actually keeping you trapped in the neutral ending? There actually might be some evidence for that. If you can get it to where Flowey doesn't interrupt Asgore's speech at the end (either by killing him at the end of the Omega Flowey fight, or by having him advise you to not kill anyone), Asgore commits suicide at the end of his speech, so you can get his SOUL to pass through the barrier. Except Flowey destroys it. He doesn't really have much of a reason to do that except to keep you trapped down there.

Something I really like about the first time you fight Asgore is that Flowey only kills him after he tells you that he and his wife will take care of you "Like a family..."

I definitely didn't catch the significance of that the first play through.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tunicate posted:

Humans souls apparently linger for quite a while after death, so it's entirely possible they were harvested posthumously. One of the others just fell off the bridge in waterfall and drowned, another slipped off an icy cliff to their death, and the chef got a foot stuck in a conveyer belt when trying to cook an egg on a steamvent.

What I'm saying is, improper OSHA complaince is the real monster here.

In several cell phone conversations Papyrus discusses Asgore's attempts to curtail precipitous bridges and the use of spikes in puzzles, so you might very well be correct.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fangz posted:

Given that you can defeat him at LV1, and monster defense/attack is proportional to their willingness to fight you, I do not think that he is in fact dead set on killing you. I think he's trapped into it, by the expectations of monsters like the random encounters in New Home. And if you defeat and spare him, he's pretty happy to call it off (in comparison to Undyne who wouldn't give up).

Asgore also gives the player several chances to escape.

When he tells you he'll wait for you to finish any business you have, he doesn't actually expect you to come back afterwards.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

subpar anachronism posted:

Wait, which ending in this? I don't remember this at all. :gonk:

Dr. Fetus linked to a dozen or so posts ago. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBohmn9NDxA

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Chara is you, the player. They are supposed to have your name.

I don't think this is quite right.

Chara doesn't represent you, the player; Chara represents the character you control when you play video games. Specifically, this is in reference to early console RPGs where you name the character you control.

For example, in most early console RPGs you name the character you control. You then direct the character to defeat monsters, gain experience, collect better equipment, and otherwise become stronger.

You, the player, don't actually defeat monsters or become stronger. You just push buttons on your controller. It's the character you play as, the character you named at the start of the game, that actually accomplishes all these things, and they're the one that actually becomes more powerful.

Chara isn't you, the player. Chara is the hero from Dragon Quest that you raised to level 30 and equipped with Erdrick's gear. Chara is Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 with a Golden Chocobo and W-Summon Knights of the Round. Chara is Ness from Earthbound after you've killed your eightieth kraken and finally gotten the Gutsy Bat to drop.

And, as long as you're playing just to see how high a level you can get and how big you can make your damage numbers, Chara is Frisk, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BenRGamer posted:

The best way I've seen the Chara/Frisk dichotomy explained

What explanation?
None of what you quoted is actually explains their position. It's just a statement.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DolphinCop posted:

asgore is pathetic and thinks toriel will get back together with him if he does one nice thing for a human

Immediately after he says that he takes it back and admits what he wants is impossible. (Or, at least he does if he lives long enough.)

I don't think Asgore is under any misconceptions. He's very much aware that his marriage is beyond repair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GlyphGryph posted:

I laughed.

gently caress. I didn't pick up on that.
That's terrible.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NewMars posted:

On the subject of genocide and avoiding it's consequences... have any of you ever tried something a little... different?

Source here.

Trying to defeating the Fallen Child in combat shows an extreme misunderstanding of what the Fallen Child is mean to represent. It's be like trying to drown an ocean underwater, or trying to light a tongue of flame on fire.

toanoradian posted:

This is just a highly metaphorical way of saying you killed yourself after a massacre.

How much EXP do you think you'd be worth at that point?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 25, 2015

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't seen any game have this bad of a backseating problem before, but it makes watching some of the streams that have zero-tolerance for that kind of funny.

I see this all the time, actually. I definitely prefer streamers that don't follow the chat as they play.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheTatteredKing posted:

I think an adventure of a monster trying to fit in on the surface would be a rad game.

It's been so long since any monsters have been seen on the surface that hardly anyone recognizes that you're not human, despite the fact that you have two sets of eyes and an opposable neck.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arrrthritis posted:

I don't know if that's something that could really happen. A lot of the charm to undertale, for me anyways, is that it does and relies on a lot of stuff that can only be done in a video game. How would determination and save files be reflected in a movie?

Well, by rewinding the footage like a VHS tape!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

stringball posted:

Alright cool, at what point do you go back to undyne to get the letter for Alphy's date, leading to the true lab?

You can do that immediately after getting the neutral end. Just reload the save and walk to an area with cell phone reception (IE, before the Core) and you'll get a phone call with instructions.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Oxyclean posted:

The unfortunate side effect of that tip was leading me to be very, very stubborn with not fighting Asgore. :v:

I had the exact same problem with Asgore. I actually looked it up after he killed me a few times, because I was certain there had to be a way to get passed him without attacking him.

WrathOfBlade posted:

I do kinda wish that there were shortcuts for getting around the hallways of puzzles in the Ruins, Hotlands, etc. that only become apparent if you're playing the game post-reset, though.

Some of them actually do have shortcuts! The switch puzzle in Snowdin that Papyrus changed to look like his face can be bypassed by interacting with a certain tree. Most of the laser puzzles in Hotland will automatically be turned off if you let yourself get hit enough times.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Countblanc posted:

No where else in the game - barring Flowey's true psychogamer worldview - does anyone say "you need to murder to proceed" except for there,

Never actually says that, though. The game never tells you that you need to actually attack him.

Moreover, it goes against what previous boss battles have taught you. Toriel's battle teaches you that you shouldn't use the Fight command unless you actually want to kill your opponent. Undyne's battle teaches you that even when you can't show Mercy and you (seemingly) can't Run Away, eventually the situation will change to the point where you can end the battle nonviolently.

And then you get to Asgore's fight, where both lessons are suddenly inapplicable. When I saw that Mercy wasn't an option, and that Talking wasn't going to work, I didn't think, "this must mean I need to stab him." I thought, "this must mean there's something more to this fight than is immediately obvious. Do I have other options available to me? Will I get more options if I survive long enough? Is there anything I can do outside of combat that will change things?"

It turns out that the answer was "no." I actually didn't have any other option, and I really was supposed to just stab the guy.

It was kind of disappointing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SirSamVimes posted:

The game literally tells you that all you can do is fight.

It has a chance of telling you thank if you continue to try and talk to Asgore after the game tells you that "you couldn't think of anything to say" (IIRC). I never did that, though. When they game said that, I took that to mean that talking was ineffective, so I stopped trying that.

I really don't know what else there is to say. I'm probably coming across as super salty, but I was just kind of disappointed that there wasn't actually anything more to it than that.

Of course, afterwards I ran into Neutral Ending Spoilers, and everything was immediately forgiven.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheTatteredKing posted:

Well the wait her out strat Toriel teaches is just as bad on Undyne as it is Asgore to my own frustration

The only real difference was you spend Toriel's fight waiting for her to finally accept mercy, while you spend Undyne's fight waiting for her to let you run away.
It's the exact same wait her out strat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This is fantastic! Do you have a link to the artist?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Temmie and Napsta tied at #1. As it should be.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah that happened to me. I ended up with Papyrus, Sans, Undyne, Alphys, Asgore, Muffet and... Temmie sharing "1" :tem:

Followed by Burgerpants and Heats Flamesman at "8". I don't get how the numbers work but. They're essentially tied for #2 I guess

If there's a seven way tie at first place, then the next highest spot is going to be eighth.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think there's a mechanic to the Asgore fight where as the fight goes on, Asgore's defense gets lower and his attack gets higher.

I say this because I recently played through with the beginning equipment. At the start of the fight, the stick dealt somewhere around 30 damage, but by the end I was dealing 200+ damage per attack.
Likewise, after talking him down and eating the pie, his attacks hit me for around 5 damage each. But as the fight went on, he did more and more damage, up to around 8 a hit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CodfishCartographer posted:

His attacks definitely get faster and more aggressive as time goes on, not sure on the damage itself though.

He definitely did more damage per hit.
My first thought was the the debuff from talking him down wore off, but I realized that couldn't be what happened since my own damage also got higher.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm putting together a playlist of Undertale remixes, mash-ups, and extended versions. Everyone please post your favorites because right now I've mostly been listening to Hopes and Dreams on loop while cleaning.

insaneintherain's Heartache jazz mix has been repeat for a while now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcW6vOsl0rY

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm real happy to see merchandise out. Toby deserves whatever cash he can make from this.

Countblanc posted:

i cannot believe they didnt make a temmie plush

Any Temmie plushie would need a velcro face with attachable and rearrangeable features.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Luneshot posted:

Oh my god you guys. On the $68 combo, there's some text that says "hey, you want a discount?" at the bottom of the page.

Click it.

This is very important: refuse the discount.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i don't understand why there isn't a t shirt that just says COOL DUDE

They can't be manufactured. Each one is custom made with a sharpie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Alternatively: iron on transfer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheRamblingSoul posted:

That reminds me:

How come there isn't genderbending Undertale fan art yet? I'm surprised, honestly.

There is a ton, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Guess I'm not that far through the looking glass, then? :shrug:

I want you to consider your answer very carefully: how far do you really want to go?

• Locked thread