Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Oy! Pleasure to meet ya! Don't mind Max here, he's a real sweetheart. Anyway, it's gettin' late, but think you got time to share a pipe with a fellow traveler?

Fantastic!

What am I doing out here, wanderin' the wastes? Well, I could ask you that yourself! But, honestly, I thought everyone knew that we halflin's have taken to the roads ever since he torched our homes, all while he looking for some magic doodad or another. He never found what he was lookin' for, but I reckon that's some cold comfort for us. Especially since he seems to have set up shop there for good.

It's something we talk about, you know. Getting all the scattered clans back together and taking our home back, I mean. Personally, I don't think we'll ever do it until we get rid of him for good, but no point in spreadin' that idea 'round, ya see? People gotta have some hope that things are gonna go back to they way they were, or else it won't ever happen!

It's why I'm on the road like this. Heard some mighty interestin' stories 'bout some people with the same idea. 'Course, it may be nothing more than poppycock. Or it may be a bunch of greybeards blue skyin', and I'll just have to keep on looking for something with a good idea on what to do..

Or, well, we may all end up face down and dead in a ditch! Ha!

But, can't ever let it get ya down, don't ya know! I've seen too many down faces on my travels, and like I said, that's how he really wins! No, we just have to keep the old stories alive, even if we can't quite remember exactly how they went. And maybe we should make some new stories worth telling while we're at it!

quote:

Name: Robard Goldworthy
Look: Large eyes, on a clean cut face, all dressed up in my Sunday best, which is perfectly cut for my wiry body.

Stats
Blood: 0
Courage: +2
Grace: +2
Sense: +1
Wisdom: -1

Halfling Core
The Little Folk (Courage)
When you do something clever or sneaky while no one is looking, roll +Courage. On a 7+, you do it, and no one will notice what you did until later. On a 10+, they won't even think to blame you for it unless they know you quite well, or you personally tell them you did it.

Sting Like A Bee
When you Keep Them Busy by getting in close and get a 7+, choose one. You can only Sting Like A Bee against those who are larger than you.
  • They are stunned and distracted. They'll only be out for a moment, but they won't get in anyone's way for that moment.
  • You steal something small from them in the confusion.
  • You get up on top of them, riding them around and roughly controlling their movements for as long as you Keep Them Busy.

What is a Halfling?
Determined Survivors
Your people have suffered many setbacks and tragedies, and they have never stopped you yet. You know exactly when to stand your ground and exactly when to bail. When you Get Away or Keep Them Busy and get a 6-, you can instead use the other move as if you rolled a 7-9.

Halfling Customs
A Friendly Face
You are small and easily trusted. So long as you show a friendly face, anyone not already actively hostile towards you will treat you as a friend, until proven otherwise.

Talk Nonsense (Courage)
When you use an unreasonable argument to get someone to do something for you, roll +Courage. An unreasonable argument is one they cannot deal with, either because it is something they never expected to hear, too impossible to be believed, or it strikes at something they hold dear.
  • On a 7+, you must make them a promise - they'll tell you what - and then they'll do as you ask.
  • On a 7-9, the promise alone is not enough: you must also pay a price for them, right here, right now

Halfling Gear
  • Trusty human pocket knife (Melee)
  • A halfling packed lunch (2 uses, feeds three people)
  • Burglar's gear (2 uses, useful)
  • A riding spear (Melee)
  • Halfling pipeleaf (2 Uses, Slow, Drunk: Blood)
    When you share your pipeleaf with another (1 Use), Speak Softly with them as if you rolled a 7-9.
  • An Address book, filled with family friends (1 Use).
    You can Use this item to find a friend in any town you go to - you have a Bond with them

Halfling Agenda
Have fun!
Everyone else is so gloomy all the time! Make sure they lighten up a bit

Bonds
_____________ really enjoys the finer things in life.
I was caught trying to steal from ____________
_____________ overlooks my stature and treats me as an equal
_____________ dragged me from home and on the road to adventure
I've had Max, my Riding Dog, since he was born.
  • Loyal Friend
  • Good Nose

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mors Rattus posted:

Robard Goldworthy, the Halfling: The halflings have been forced to flee their homeland and take to a life so unlike the idyllic one they knew. What have you kept to make a home out of the barren road and open sky that the Betrayer can never take from you? Why is it so vital to a home?

The one story every halfling knows is their clan's history. The great deeds of yer ancestors, the hilarious stories you'd share with friends, all the heartbreakin' losses. It's all important, all of it. ...Even if there's way too much for one person to remember. That's why we have to make most of it up!

But... that's the point! You take what you've got and add your own bits to it, just like living in a clan!. Your story may not be historically correct, but it's true!

No clan member's story is ever wrong, either. Not even when they contradict each other. Especially when they contradict each other. It just shows that you think some parts of the story are more important than others! And that's your right! As long as it makes for an interesting yarn, ain't no one gonna second gainsay you.

Still, it's good form to add bits from other peoples stories to your own. History isn't ever a single, neatly penned book. It's pretty, sure, but static and lifeless. No, it's more like a big, patchwork quilt, and let me tell you this. All those memories from my clan mates have kept me cheered and warm on many a cold night, much better than any blanket would.

• Locked thread