Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have this super good idea for some horrible things this guy could have done, holy poo poo. I am so in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Name: Raliin Coalface
Look: Very Small Eyes, Mucled Body, Darkened Face.
Extra Agenda: Born Rebel
What is an Orc?: Daughters of Chaos
Gear:
Strange jerky (3 uses, Food)
2 Orc-Made Weapons (a spear and an axe)
Junk Cannon (Ranged, Orc-Made, 0 ammo)
Some Loot (1 Use, Precious)
Orcish Moonshine (2 uses, Food for Orcs, Drunk: Grace+Wisdom, Vigor:Blood+Sense. If you stuff a rag in it it becomes Ranged and Dangerous instead.

Strong as an ox: 2 uses to smash through walls or doors.
Tough as nails: 2 uses as Armor
Cunning as can be: 2 uses to instantly Looking Closely without rolling, answering two questions.

Orc Customs:

The Sweat of Your Brow
Self-Orctualize
Brutally Cunning

Blood:+2
Courage:+2
Grace:-1
Sense:+1
Wisdom:+0

Who are you, and why did you want to join the Fellowship?
My name is Raliin Coalface, and I join this Fellowship with the intent to collect on the debt the Betrayer has with the Orcish people. Because no shaman, no engineer would bend the knee to his destructive rules, and no orc strong enough to hold a lance would allow him to drag their friends and family away in chains, we have been decimated. For every adult that died defending his elders, for every child that died because there were no herb-books to tell us how to cure them, one of his dies.
Why did your people choose you to join the Fellowship, and what have they lost to the Betrayer?
The elders of the Coalface tribe tell us of a great mural, a gigantic painting describing the history of the orcs since their creation at the hands of the Grim Father and the Green Mother since the Pact of the Tribes. They tell us of its many colors, some impossible to recreate with pigments to this day, of its characters so realistic, one would expect them to step out of the mural and talk; they tell us of how the cave where it was located was constantly swarming with visitors and pilgrims from all over the world to see it.
They tell us of how the Ashmaker’s warriors came; of a ferocious but ultimately useless defense, of how now there is only a charred wall up to the ceiling of the cave.
Since then, my people have been chained, chained by ignorance and poverty; my tribe has lost the right to use their real name and must mark our faces with charcoal to show our sorrow and our failings. But there is a saying amongst orcs: “balg-or-erab”. In your language, it means, “chains are death”. Orcs are meant to be free; a chained orc is an orc that is dying.
I am the chief of the most disgraced of tribes, and I say that chains- both ours and those of our neighbors- are made to be broken.
What will you protect from the Betrayer, no matter what?
When I was declared champion of the Orcish tribes, the Coalface elders gifted me a flat piece of rock, of a clear blue color with a bit of white on the side. A surviving bit of the Great Mural. They revealed to me that two other ones have been saved by the Betrayer’s handiwork, and have been put somewhere safe. I will not allow that monster to destroy this last remnant of my people’s glory.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 17, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

quote:

Raliin Coalface, the Orc (paradoxGentleman): The name Coalface was given to your tribe to mark your shame, yet yours is the tribe closest to freedom. What chains the hearts of less shamed tribes?

Our neighbors, the Bat-Eyes, are probably the tribe that has been hit the hardest: they live deep into our ancestral caves, to get a better connection to our Father and Mother and their court of spirits. With their many shamans dead, the various rites necessary to keep the favor of the spirits are being performed by the few surviving layorcs who witnessed them in the past and have at least a generic idea of how they are supposed to work. With each generation some part of a ritual is lost to the mists of time and we lose the favor of another spirit; and yet they have no choice but to try, if we want our warriors to be protected in battle, our children safe from animals, our women not to die of childbirth.

To the north are the Fire-Veins, who once controlled the Giant's Spine mountains, with their rich iron and silver deposits and their magma forges. After the Betrayer's massacre, there was nobody left that knew how to operate the complex machinery; those that learned how to partially handle them now have to hide in fear, because that makes them close enough to a scholar in the Betrayer's servants' eyes that they are at risk. Those that didn't leave their homes now have to work much harder for a fraction of the profits, all with the costant fear of being raided by a much bigger force.

Near them are the hunting grounds of the Sharp-Hearts,trainer of wolves and hunters of mammoths. They have always been the most solitary, stand-offish of the tribes, the last one to join the Pact. But now, without the infrastructure of the other tribes, they are going back to a wilder life, where they followed their sacred prey through the steppes because that was all there is for them to eat. They are becoming savages, and there are... rumors of them disrespecting the Pact and attacking fellow Orcs for goods. If one tribe would do something like that, it would have to be them, but even in this dark times there are those who believe that they could not sink this low.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 19, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

In the meantime, I have written down my stats if you want to check them out. They're in that other post, I figured you woud want them all in one place, but you can click down there to reach it!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

I just realized these are the full playbooks, not the preview ones from the kickstarter. Even so, I like the way a Warrior-Dwarf came out of the KS-only moves, so I won't be changing Lord Amir's choices. I've also added a picture.

I had not realized this, and given this new information I have swapped I Smell Fear for Brutally Cunning.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Oh god, If I get picked, the squire is is gonna be like Donkey to my Shrek. :v:

Donkey=Squire
Shrek=Orc
Fiona=Heir

Think about it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh gosh, I wasn't really expecting to get picked!

My vote goes to "no humans" and here are my Bonds:

Does ________ realize that they are chained? I should do something about it.
________ and I are bound by blood, shared or otherwise.
________ thinks me a savage. I'll show them how savage I can be.
________ shares a burden similar to mine.

That last one is more elastic than it looks like, since pretty much all races lost much because of the Betrayer, and I figured we could all bond over how much it sucks to have the responsibility over your people's future and/or honor.

Neopie posted:

Anyone want these? I was thinking Hanna or Ilya/Miha for the teaching what I know, Amir for heeding my words, Ralin for teaching me about the surface world and Karr for heeding my words, /but/ I'm up for other suggestions on any of these and if you have something cool , I'll probably run with it!
I too was about to propose Raliin for that one. Glad to see we're in agreement!

Error 404 posted:

As for what race the Harbingers are: I thought it would be neat that they're a culture any species can join.
Karr was born an elf, but aside from pointed ears there is way more in common between him and any other harbinger than between him and any other elf, same for harbingers that came from dwarf, orc, (hu)man, or halfling backgrounds.

If that is the case, how are we going to handle an eventual Harbinger community, assuming such a thing exists? Do they act like an Elven/Merfolk one? Your character description makes it sound a lot like you are from another race altogether.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh, okay. It's just that the book has rules for Harbinger communities and their Fellowship, and I thought we should decide when they come into play. Some are very cool, it would be a shame to ignore them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Neopie posted:

And to ParadoxGentleman, I'd like to take the 'bound by blood' bond, if you don't mind?

Sure!

quote:

Even in this troubled times, it would be shameful to refuse hospitality to someone who has travelled so far; to do so this to a prospective ally would be senseless. It speaks of our situation that I had to lean more on the second argument than the first one when I was trying to convince my tribe to allow her into our homes. Hospitality is sacred amongst Orcs, and a guest that comes in our time of need with promises of help is a great boon indeed. It is truly bizarre that I feel a sense of kinship to this traveller, who has so little in common with my people and who was amazed by the most simple things in our community (her reaction to Orcish moonshine was especially...colorful; perhaps it is because we are both honorbound to put an end to the Betrayer's horrors? I do not know, but when you encounter the unknown and the fated, you can only rely on your gut, and my gut tells me to trust her.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am cool with taking the life debt one, Cyphoderus. Would you like to define it or should I do it?
And about my Bond, should I phrase it with something like "Amir sees beyond my appearance"? Or maybe "Amir judges me for my actions, not my appearance"?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

• Do people drink tea or coffee in the morning? Both? Something else?
• How do each of you take yours?

Raliin prefers coffee; he frankly loves it with either milk or sugar but he has made it an habit of drinking it pure, because consuming such precious foods to accompany your drink isn't what a good leader would do in these times of poverty.

e: by the way, have you decided which race will you be a part of?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

IPlayVideoGames posted:

ParadoxGentleman, I'd take "thinks me a savage. I'll show them how savage I can be. " for Talthe if you're game.

It could fit in with one of my open ones, "Distrusts me and all my people", to set up a bit of a rivalry.

That is perfectly fine with me!
These two are still up for grabs if anyone wants them.
Does ________ realize that they are chained? I should do something about it.
________ shares a burden similar to mine.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

Karr asked first, and I think owing Karr opens up more character possibilities – but I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing how the relationship between Raliin and Amir develops. Maybe I'd shear my beard for you, and we share a similar burden? That would mean we've had some sort of bonding experience already. Or if you want to trade one of your remaining Bonds for a custom one, I think "Lord Amir judges me for my actions" would fit nicely as well.

That's fair, sorry for not noticing.
How about this: I discard the "burden" one and pick "Lord Amir judges me for my actions, not my appearance" instead. How does that sound?

I am not discarding the chained one though, I like that one. sentrygun, would you like that one? Your character is sort of here by mistake, maybe Raliin could consider that an obligation you have been roped into without your say-so?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Let's see, looks like it's just Raliin that needs to get those last Bonds handed out?

I think so. I am still missing the "chained" one. If nobody wants it, though, I could change it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'll defer to IPlayVideoGames, but Hanna could take Raliin's last bond if it doesn't work out. Her folk's origin and her personal connection to the Harbingers could be viewed as servitude or even slavery from the right perspective.

Done and done.Here my bonds with people:
Liara and I are bound by blood, scared or otherwise.
Amir judges me for my actions, not my appearance.
Talthe thinks me a savage. I'll show him how savage I can be.
Does Hanna realize she is chained? I should do something about it.

And here are people's bonds with me
Liara: Raliin has taught me much of the outside world.
Amir: I'd shear my beard for Raliin.
Talthe: Raliin distrusts me and all of my people.

Sorry if I kept you waiting.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Neopie posted:

Would anyone object to say that Liara's been, more or less, looking for people like our fellow heroes and bringing them into the fold? Possibly with Raliin or the like helping her.

I am all for it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Thank you for the icons! Don't worry, the one you picked works fine.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I was struggling with what to do with my time in Carrow, but fortunately as I was re-reading Digger I reached the part where they meet Herne, the dear-headed guide, and realized that I could have had Raliin search for a guide as well, or at least information about the route we are taking. I don't think it's really in our interest to drag around a guide, not to mention it's not really becoming of a fellowship of heroes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This seems incredibly appropriate given our Squire.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

If no one else is wants to I guess I will give this a shot tonight. I have a question, though: is it accettable to populate it with another race? It seems we all have described our own races as far off and solitary, meaning that adding another one might make more sense than just slapping an Elven Village in there.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 4, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's cool, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I have a bit of a problem: My laptop is being repaired and my Fellowship PDF was there. I am typing this on mobile.
Now I would like to use one of the question-asking moves to get a feel for the situation, but I don't have access to the question. Could anyone be' so kind as to post them here? I am terribly sorry but I could not predict what happened.

• Locked thread