Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
The Beach

You wake up to hear the sound of waves lapping against your body and laying down on sand. Looking around you see that you've come ashore on a Pacific. Wet clothes cling to your body and along with the waves lapping the shore, a chill goes through your body.

Looking around you see other survivors from the S.S. Empress Caledonia laying on the beach as well. Ahead of you, less than a mile away, plants of various shades of green run up against the sand of the beach. Except for some debris from the sunken ship and the stranded castaways, there are no signs of civilization or other people on this island. It appears you are stranded on a deserted island.

Welcome to the Trail of Cthulhu adventure "Shipwrecked on the island of Doom"*. Before the game starts here are some guidelines for players posting in the game.:

Post format:
Name - Location
In game text.
actions and rules stuff (abilities, drives and other such stats)
Out of character posts can either be regular text without a name tag or in italics.

Since this is Gumshoe, clues are a major part of the game. When a character is looking for clues, please list applicable investigative skills. If I think a clue is being overlooked, I might post who finds the clue and what ability it called for.

Investigative point spends can be done whenever a character uses an investigative skill to find clues. If there isn't something to spend the points on, I'll say that and the character keeps the investigative skill points.

For this game there's a new rule in regards to spends. Occasionally you’ll want to create a task at which there is no reasonable chance of failure, but which should cost the characters a degree of effort. To do this, simply charge the character(s) a number of points from relevant general ability pools. Where tasks can be performed by cooperative effort, multiple characters may contribute points to them. The expenditures should usually be on the low side, at least if more than one character pitches in. When this comes up, then I'll mention it in my posts.

When a test is announced for the characters, I would like the players to use the dice roller at http://orokos.com/roll/. Roll a d6 and what points you want to spend and post the results in the thread. I will announce what the difficulty is for most tests. Tests that are a surprise or are of a paranormal nature will not be announced. Post the results and then I'll narrate the effects of the roll.
Players need to keep track of various abilities throughout the thread. Refreshing those abilities will happen as written in the book.

I need people to be fairly consistent posters. I'd rather not have to repeatedly prompt people to post. If something comes up, just let me know and I'll work around it. If the game isn't working out for you or if there's some reason you want to drop, please let me know. If its a non-game related problem, I can work around it or at the very least make sure it doesn't impact the other players too much. If the problem involves the game itself, then I'll do what I can to resolve the problem.

If there's any other questions, comments or issues, than please post in the recruitment thread or catch me on IRC. I'm still sorting out how to run TOC as pbp game, so I might change guidelines to make the game run better (and be more enjoyable)

The next post will get the game rolling.

*Title of the adventure changed to hide some details.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Beach

The winds and the waves wake up the shipwrecked survivors and they assess what has happened to them. They look at themselves and remember the accident happened during the early evening.

The characters are wearing whatever a person of their Credit Rating would have
had on during the early evening on a luxury liner.

At this point, characters need to make Health tests against a Difficulty of 4. Those who succeed awaken on their own, at about the same time. Failed characters either must be awakened by another character (on a Difficulty 2 First Aid test) or come to on their own. In the latter case, they wake up on their own in fifteen minute intervals, in the order of their Health ratings, from highest to to lowest.

After the characters wake up, each makes an Athletics or Fleeing roll (player’s choice) against a Difficulty of 4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Charlie - Beach
Health test Difficulty 4. Unmodified: 1d6 5

Charlie begins to toss and wakes up on a beach. "How did I get here?" he thinks to himself. "The last thing I remember was a storm coming out of nowhere and the ship starting to sink." He chuckles to himself as he remembers the "accident" his rear end in a top hat of a boss got into right before he left the crew area. Charlie stands up and tries to get his bearings. A beach? Looks tropical. Outdoorsman to see if I know anything about the flora/fauna I can see. Inspecting his clothes his crew uniform is ragged. No real loss he had no connection to the ship, he wasn't even sure how he got there to begin with. He starts to search the beach to see if any survivors are here and need help.

Athletics +1 modified: 1d6+1 7

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Elijah - Beach

Health vs. 4 unmodified: 2 Still knocked out. I'll wait for someone else to jar Elijah awake.

Elijah's waterlogged form is rudely tossed up by the surf. He rolls slightly, dragging a shallow depression into the sand before he halts. No sound escapes the man's lips. But a steady rhythm still beats in the folds of his leather jacket. Elijah Morgan, Jr.'s not down for the count.

A badly-mauled lifeboat is washed up about a dozen meters away. In the mad panic before the shipwreck, he'd dragged anyone who didn't look seaworthy into it with the slim hope they'd survive. First class, third class, even injured staff. It might not have been the way he planned to go out, but it wasn't a bad one. The cuts and bruises on his limbs are now all that remains of the effort.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Professor Ezekiel Brush - The Beach, Unknown Island

1d6 → [6] = (6)
unmodified health roll

His eyes fluttered open, and he tried to lean up. The professor's sore bones only let him move a little bit as he looked over the situation. Being a scientist his entire life he took stock instantly. With almost clinical precision he tried to get to his knees, taking his glasses out of his lapel. His great brain that had been the basis for many of the scientific discoveries had indeed been able to ascertain that 1.) He was on a beach, the flora and the actual coast was easy to see that he had washed up in a tropical one. 2.) Since this was the South Pacific, there were many small islands and big ones, so far impossible to assess. 3.) He was alive if a bit warn.

The voice shocked him as he replied, "Young man, are you also alive, or is it just hysteria?" Ezekiel figured that a mirage brought on by hunger wouldn't reply, nor say things that Ezekiel himself didn't know.

1d6+1 → [1,1] = (2)
+1 flee point added to the roll

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 17, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Lane Butler - Beach Area

Zzzzzzz...zzzzzz...Is this paradise? Feels like it...so warm and nice...sun, sand and surf...

Initial Health Roll (Health, no mod): 1d6 5

Almost unwillingly, Lane rolls over onto his back and opens his eyes. It's so nice out here. He could be in Aruba! And then he holds his hand up to the sun to shade his eyes and notices the saltwater discoloration on his cuffs. Oh. Right. He was picking out an evening jacket for dinner on the Caledonia when...

He mumbles dejectedly to himself, grabbing his ruined hat off the beach and shaking off the sand. Right, there have to be more people around here somewhere. Time to go find them!

"Hallo!" he calls out, still seated. "Anybody there? Hallo!"

He tries to pull up into a jog--

Athletics vs. 4 (no mod): 1d6 5

And promptly sets off running for more survivors. Hey, this is pretty nice, he thinks. A guy could get used to this. Beach runs. Not shipwrecks.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Sister Flora Godden - Beach

Flora has never been afraid of drowning, but now she seems to be caught up in a stranger's nightmare. Dark water churning, screams, the world lurching sideways, dark waters rushing closer all around...

Health vs 4, unmodified: 6

She wakes abruptly, curling her fingers down into the sand beneath her in sheer relief to find herself back on terra firma. "Thank you, gracious Lord," she murmurs, pushing herself up into a sitting position. She looks slowly up and down the beach, taking in the scattered figures of her fellow survivors, and how terribly few they seem to be. "I pray You have mercy on the lost souls of the Empress Caledonia."

Well, and it's no use to be sitting here when there may be people she can help with her own two hands. The nearest figure is a man in a battered leather jacket sprawled at the water's edge, seemingly unconscious or worse. Flora makes her way towards him on unsteady legs, then kneels in the surf to check if he's still breathing and look for any obvious wounds.

First Aid vs 2 to help Elijah, unmodified: 2
Fleeing vs 4, +1 spend: 7

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Felix Strode-Beach

Waking up in rough situation was never easy but waking up from a shipwreck was something Felix had never dealt. Gangs, sure; hangovers, not fun but doable; shipwreck? Well now thats a whole new ball game.
The button up shirt, covered in "Oriental" flower print, had suffered the brunt of the seas wrath and was wet and torn. His shorts had been mostly spared and were just slightly waterlogged, unlike the rest of him. Standing up the detective grimaces and stares over the beach, glad to see that at least some people had survived.

His sandals slapping against the sand Felix walks over to the survivors.
"Well drat, that was a hell of a storm."
Healin vs 4: 1d6+2 7

Athletics vs 4: 1d6+2 5

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

"Just a might. It was wondrous in many ways." He said looking over the man, turning over and now sitting on the sand his wireframe glasses shining in the sun. "A most unexpected detour." Ezekiel said looking over the group. It appeared to be chaos, with only few survivors of the wreck. Though a young woman appeared to be pouring over a man on the beach who was still. Ezekiel was not one to assume or use an unverified hypnosis, but he felt that if she managed to bring that man back to life, it would be certainly due more to skill than it was to any luck.

"We should take stake on what we all have, but first, we should help that poor man in the surf." He said pointing to the man now being ministered by the woman.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Elijah - Beach

Elijah groggily hauls himself to a sitting position, his hands clutched to his forehead. Flora is just a dim blur in the corner of his vision. But as he slowly grows aware of rough sand at his feet and harsh sunlight drying his clothes, he puts two and two together.

He mumbles between his teeth. "Ah, drat it. So this is how it's going to go."

A slight jolt goes through him when he notices there's someone sitting next to him. Multiple someones. He avoids eye contact and shakily attempts to stand. "Th-thanks. Really."

Athletics+1 vs 4: 4

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

"Many thanks indeed good madam." He said shifting his glasses up and getting to his feet a bit wobbly. "Quite a ride was it not?" He asks no one in particular as he looks over the island and the other peoples. "I don't remember all of you from the smoking lounge." He said examining them all.

"Are introductions in order then?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Beach

As they all come to consciousness, Charlie remembers something from the night before when the ship went down. Or more specifically before the ship started to go down. He felt the ship shudder just before it went down, as if it was hit by some moving object below the waterline. Meanwhile, Felix has a flash of memory of the night before as well. He thinks he saw a dark form moving through the water, dragging drowning passengers down into the depths.

While the group begins to recover, Professor Brush realizes that the ordeal had been especially difficult for him. During the chaos of the night before he suffered a number of bruises. The others also find that the shipwreck left them with some reminders of the night before.

Charlie looks at the vegetation at the edge of the beach. He immediately spots several palm trees and some bamboo. Beyond the palm trees there seem to be no other trees (which is relatively common among pacific islands). From his vantage point on the beach, he has trouble distinguishing the individual types of plants that are present at the edge of the forest. Charlie figures there's at least some good building materials and probably some edibles among the various plants he sees.

Charlie and Felix had experiences during the shipwreck which are especially memorable. The others don't remember much from the night before, except that they managed to get off the sinking ship and getting carried along the waves. If anyone wants more info about the shipwreck, please post investigative abilities for clues about what happened.

Everyone is now awake. Prof Brush takes 2 points of damage and everyone else takes 1 point of damage as a result of surviving the shipwreck.

Charlie used his outdoorsman ability to scope out the plants. The information he got was pretty basic and only concerns what he can see immediately.

Also for anyone who has outdoorsman or geology, they also know that there are no obvious sources of shelter, food, or potable water on the stretch of beach the group currently occupies. The best bet for such things would be the jungle.

A peculiarity in the TOC rules is the ability geology. It is more then just geology, it also covers meteorology. Here's what characters with Geology know. The island is uncharted and not on any map. The cause of the sinking of the Empress of Caledonia is that a storm appeared quite suddenly. In the matter of minutes, the ship was being battered by a horrible storm. The Empress Of Caledonia sank due to a hurricane-force wind, which sent waves crashing up over onto the deck, causing it to take on water and eventually capsize the ship.

Charlie who had been working on the ship heard another sailor on board mention that there was no warning from the ship’s weather station.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Health 5/7

"I am Professor Brush." Ezekiel started and continued, "That was a mighty strange night." Rubbing a nasty bruise under his rib he looks at the others, "This is a most interesting Island. It isn't on any map I know. We are far away from any land at all. I doubt the sea would carry us as far as it would take to get to documented land." Ezekiel puts a pipe between his lips and totes on it before, coughing and spitting out sand.

Very disturbed by this he taps the bottom of the pipe on his palm, "I had suggested a few course maneuvers to optimize the journey and I can assure everyone that this island was not here. Also that storm came from nowhere, there was no warning at all. Just suddenly came crashing on us till the ship capsized I figured. Did anyone else see anything different." The pipe now clean and emptied of salt water and sand, he pokes his fingers in his pocket and opens up a snuff box.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Charlie- Beach

"I didn't see anything in particular. But I felt the ship shudder before we went down. I've been on boats through all sorts of conditions and the only times I've felt something like that is with a collision. I'm Charlie Allred by the way. Until recently I worked the engine room on the Empress Caledonia. I was going to jump ship once we got to port because I have a...history...with bad things tending to follow in my wake. But I guess they caught up to me first."

I check my pockets to see if anything stuck around. Hopefully my pocket knife survived the trip

"Our best bet at this point would be to get off the beach. No freshwater out here for sure. There might not be any inland but at least there may be. Maybe even some edible plants out there. Has anyone roughed it before?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Lane Butler - Beach Area
Health 9/10

Ah, there, people! So he wasn't the only survivor! Lucky him! Lane waves his hands over his head as he manages to catch up.

"Hah, hey there!" He smiles as he comes to a stop in the dirt. "Figured I couldn't...couldn't be the only one here, huh? Whew..." He takes a deep breath and nods. "We're all giving names, then? Okay! Lanny Butler, but you can call me Lane! Everyone does!" Another deep breath. "Okay...wow, we have a lot of people here. You think there are any more survivors? Caledonia was a pretty big ship and all..." He flits his eyes among the six people. "Although...uhm...we're gonna need some food. Unless somebody took a kitchen cart off the Caledonia before she went down. Anybody know how to fish? Or know their plant life cold?" He looks at the waves and then the jungle treeline, licking his lips. "...probably the plant life, actually."

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Health 5/6

"Sister Flora Godden," Flora says by way of introduction, with a glance down at her bedraggled habit. "I'm a nurse by training, so if any of you are injured or if you start to feel unwell, say something sooner rather than later."

She looks around the small group thoughtfully. "I would think we need to start by finding fresh water, but I don't know where to start looking, I'm afraid. This is all... new to me." She takes another long look up and down the beach, hoping to catch sight of more survivors.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Beach

Charlie finds that his trusty pocket knife is still with him.

Looking around Charlie and the others begin to wonder what else they might be able to find.

I like the interaction between the group. Since Len brought it up, for the most part, characters begin the adventure with only the possessions they can credibly justify as having been in their pockets, if any, on an evening spent on an ocean liner. Anything else they may have been holding—like the shovel referred to in Charlie Allred’s backstory was lost or washed away in the frantic scramble for the lifeboats.
Any player with a Preparedness rating may designate a single item that was in the PC’s possession at the time of the sinking. As with any ordinary use of Preparedness, items which fail the test of narrative credibility are completely unavailable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Charlie Beach

I'll look along the treeline to see if there's any obvious path. Maybe there's wear from other survivors or natives.

Not sure if that should be a roll or not. If it should be let me know and I'll make one.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Health 5/7

"We won't find food or water on the beach, but right now. I think it is best, Lady, and gentlemen that we look for any evidence for what caused the shipwreck. The instant we go inland and lose sight of the beach we might not be able to get back." Eziekel clutched his ribs and looked at the nurse, "Don't you mind me, just very sore. I am sure that a doctor would say I am too old to be on an island. Pfft, poppycock." Walking along the beach, but keeping in hearshot of the others, he looks back and forth for any pieces of the shipwreck that may lead to any clues about the cause of the crash.

Ezekiel is examining the beach and shallows, and maybe into the ocean a bit to see if any pieces of debris could help with the cause of the wreck. Not sure if I need to roll or not.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Elijah - Beach
Health 8/9

Elijah attempts to shade his eyes with his hat as he walks, then frowns when he realizes it's probably sunk to the bottom the ocean. He looks askance at Lane's before introducing himself. "Elijah Morgan Jr., from the Chicago Morgans. I'm...I suppose I'm mostly an archaeologist. Though I did hunt and fish a fair bit on some of the remoter digs. Liked the solitude of it. Washing up on an uncharted island is just my luck, huh?"

After idly kicking a hunk of wood towards the jungle, he gives it a strange look of appreciation. "Now a jungle like that ought to have rain-water stored somewhere or other. Plus, island wild-life tends to be on the harmless side and-." Gingerly, he pulls out a large, crescent-shaped hook he remembers he'd brought from his collection. Replicated early Kanakys metalwork, and surprisingly useful in day-to-day life. It gleams in the sunlight and seems vaguely threatening even to Elijah. "well, we have this."

Can I use Evidence Collection (maybe Outdoorsman) to scavenge for anything useful hidden in the debris? Like ropes, poles, etc.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lane Butler - Beach Area
Health 9/10

"Ah, you guys have fun on the beach!" Lane jokes as he pats down his suit jacket. "As for me...hmm...I wanna get out of the sun..." He smiles at Elijah as he continues to check his pockets. "That's it, Elijah! Silver linings to everything!" His smile gets bigger as he pulls out an electric torch that miraculously hasn't gotten soaked through.

I've got 8 preparedness, I figure this is easy.

"Heh. Knew getting the special lining was good for more than protecting incense. Lucky me." He makes another knowing look at Elijah and cocks his head to the jungle treeline. "Shall we?"

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Elijah - Jungle Border
Health 8/9

Elijah jerks his head up and responds curtly to Lane. "Hm? Oh, sure, of course." His brows, once furrowed in deep thought, have lifted in another flash of realization. He's starving. Vague memories of a rude maitre'd and irritatingly loud conversation surface briefly before sinking under the audible groans of his stomach.

"Professor Brush, and anyone else staying on the beach, I'd be mighty appreciative if we found something usable in all the wreckage as well. You never know what we might need." After a few fruitless brushes against the wet sand on his jacket, he steps towards the tangle of sandy roots at the jungle's border. Hook held firmly in hand.

Going to heading into the jungle, using Outdoorsman to look for any food sources and useful branches/vines and such. I figure a hook-pole will be convenient for a lot of things.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Beach

Walking up to the jungle Charlie looks for any sign of foot prints or a path going into the jungle. He sees no evidence of any other humans on the beach or at the edge of the jungle. The sand shows no sign of people passing by and the plants of the jungle are unbroken. In fact, Charlie finds no evidence of game trails either. He notices that there's a lack of animals besides the sea birds and gulls around the beach.

Ezekiel begins to look over the debris of the ship that has washed up on shore. He finds that there is little debris floating onto shore. Mostly what he finds are are small buoyant items such as bottles and pieces of broken furniture. Moving into the shallows, he finds pieces of wood from furniture (all of which is broken). The appearance of wood and other items with buoyancy indicates that the ship went down in the open ocean during what were hurricane conditions. Thinking about what could have caused the wreck, he considered the possible ways a large ship such as the S.S. Empress of Caledonia would go down. The first is poor design or failure to maintain the ship. The ship was new and touted as being top of the line. The second would be navigation error with the ship hitting something or running aground. Considering that the evidence he finds would indicate that the ship went down in open ocean, he dismisses this possibility. Except for the remote possibility that something underwater collided with the ship. The third possibility that comes to mind is that there was intentional sabotage. He can discount this idea as well. He remembers nothing from the night before to make him think that someone sabotaged the ship. The last option which seems the most reasonable is that that the waves and wind of the storm overcame the vessel. If the ship took on too much water, then the ship could sink.

Elijah goes through the debris on the shore and in the shallows, he finds broken pieces of furniture drifting in from the ocean. What he finds mostly are chair and table legs. As he begins to go back to shore, he finds a coil of entangled with the broken remains of a broken chair. Looking up towards the jungle, he notices a stand of bamboo. While it would require him to cut it down, the bamboo could substitute for long wooden poles. Fortunately with his crescent-shaped hook he could easily cut the bamboo down.

Lane finds that he still has his electric torch and it works! Although there is still a need for a fire at least he had light for when it got dark.

The group finishes up going through the debris on the beach, they realize their survival depends on the jungle. The experienced outdoorsmen in the group know that they need four things to survive on the island. Water, food, shelter and fire. Water and food could be found in the jungle along with the necessary materials to build a fire and a shelter.

Charlie didn't need a roll to determine there's been no humans or animals here in a long time, if at all. However, this is only part of the island. Also if Charlie wants something other then just a pocket knife, he can have it. I don't see a pocket knife as being major enough to warrant the use of preparedness.

Ezekiel used his Pilot (pilot in ToC filling in for both ships and planes), Geology, and Physics abilities to determine the likely fate of the S.S. Empress of Caledonia. It probably capsized from taking on too much water from all the waves crashing into it. However, two details stick in his mind about what happened the previous night. The storm that hit the ship was anomalous both for its speed of attack, and for its apparently highly localized effect. Secondly, the storm might not have been the only factor in causing the ship to sink.

Elijah finds himself some broken furniture and thirty feet of hemp rope (Preparedness). Also using his outdoorsman skill, he knows he could use bamboo to stand in for wooden poles. Along with other possible uses of bamboo. As long as Elijah spends roughly an hour working, he can create a hook-pole out of bamboo, his crescent-shaped hook, and some of the rope. Also cordage could be produced from some of the plants at the jungle edge, if he doesn't want to use his rope on binding the hook to the pole.

Lane has an electric torch.

Some of the group look like they want to explore the jungle. Before Lane and Elijah head off, I want to see if anyone is joining them. I assume everyone who is going into the jungle will go as a group as well.

WARNING This ToC adventure has some complicated rules (for gumshoe at least) in regards to survival on the island. I'm going to post the basic information needed to figure out how to survive. While the book specifies some methods as to how the characters can survive, they aren't the only possibilities. Also I'm going to try to keep things relatively simple.

In regards to survival. Each person requires 4-5 liters of water per day. Going with out water has consequences. After a day without water, characters suffer impairment as if hurt, regardless of their Health pools. After 48 hours without water, they are treated as seriously wounded (including the need for a Consciousness roll) regardless of their Health pools. These conditions can’t be cured with First Aid, only with the gradual ingestion of clean drinking water. After 72 hours without water, characters must make Difficulty 6 Health tests every two hours, or die. Going without water induces panic; after a day without water, characters face a 3-point Stability loss. After two days, a second test, for 5 points, is required.

Anyone with outdoorsman ability knows there are three (technically four) ways to get water:

1) Seek out patches of green vegetation and dig for water there. This will be laborious and yield at best moderate amounts of water, but will require only a short jaunt into the jungle. (This requires a 1-point Outdoorsman spend per dig).

2) Go further inland, looking for concentrations of lush vegetation in its face. These indicate the presence of a spring. This is the least likely to succeed, and requires the longest trip into the jungle, but if successful would yield the most water, and on an ongoing basis. (This requires a 3-point Outdoorsman spend, which may be made jointly by a number of characters and a half a day's worth of effort. Only a one time spend of points is needed for this.)

3) Strip the bark off of nearby trees, creating a catchment for dew and rain. This requires the least amount of effort and jungle exploration, but yields less water than the other methods. (This is successful with one 1-point Outdoorsman spend per day.)

There is another method to get water, but I'm leaving it up to you players to figure it out.

Food: A character can go two days without food before it starts affecting them. And the penalties aren't as harsh as going without water.

The jungle has edible plants and the possibility of game animals. The ocean and the beach have potential food sources as well.

Any Outdoorsman can build, start, and maintain a fire—with adequate fuel. Dry logs and foliage are hard to come by in the jungle, requiring three hours of exploration per day. This can be accomplished by one Outdoorsman working for three hours, three working for one hour each, or any combination thereof. Multiple outdoorsmen gathering fuel at the same time must split up, searching separate sections of the jungle.

For shelter, any person with outdoorsman can construct it. It will take several days to build. If a shelter isn't built, then there will be some nuisance penalties to rolls because the characters will be suffering the effects of not having a shelter.

While this adventure is dwelling on survival a lot, this is still a ToC adventure and as the adventure unfolds survival will be the least of the characters concerns.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Charlie - Beach
Health 7/8

If you're okay with it could I have a lighter too then?

"Strange," Charlie muses outloud "There's no sign of people or even game around here. Usually there's tracks of something visible."

"Hey any of you want to venture into the jungle? We need to find food, water, some sort of shelter and maybe signs of life. We might want to get started on that before nightfall."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Beach

Charlie finds that he still has his trusty zippo lighter.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Charlie - Beach

Since it doesn't look like anyone wants to venture into the jungle I'll mosey on in. Not very far maybe 20 minutes or so in. Just to see what I can find.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Elijah - Jungle Border
Health 8/9

Elijah trudges on after Charlie, his eyes darting around for signs of water or fruit. He whistles softly while he hikes. "The Wedding-Guest's Rhyme" a jaunty old sailor's tune about shipwreck and a guilt-haunted lone survivor. If anyone recognizes it, well, hopefully they'd understand the joke.

Heading into the jungle as well, will deal with the bamboo when we come back.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Health 5/6

Flora stays on the beach, working her way along the water's edge searching the debris for anything that might be salvaged, particularly for medical supplies. She hasn't given up the faint hope of finding more survivors washed ashore, although it's starting to seem remote.

She also takes a closer look at some of the plants growing at the jungle's edge.

Sorry, had a pretty rough week and completely forgot to check the thread.

Any use for Biology here to identify notable plants?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lane Butler - Beach Area -> Jungle
Health 9/10

It's good to see everybody else seems to have shaken off the salt so quickly. "Hey, wait for me!" Lane calls out as he follows Elijah and Charlie. "I'm the guy with the electric torch here!"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Health 5/7

"Interesting." Was all he said, as Ezekiel looked out at the ocean, "Well, now we need supplies, I don't think it shall be a picnic on the sand." He gives a chuckle and walks along the beach slowly and missing his cane. Ezekiel scans over the wreckage that is washing ashore, calling out to the Sister, "Sister, if you do not mind, I will help your search of the beach. I fear getting separated would only lead to more tragedy that has befallen us." Walking along the edge of the beach, and looking for both survivors, his limp goes very unnoticed as he goes along. It was going to be a tough journey and though it would be take a bit of work, Ezekiel was sure that he would have everything set.

Looking for anything that might survival training or at least be useful for food or water.

Sorry for the delay, hard week, I kinda was brain dead on the game there for a bit

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Charlie - Jungle/Beach

"Good to see you guys chose to come alone. I wasn't really looking forward to exploring an island jungle alone. Who knows what's out there ya know? I have some experience roughing it but there's a difference between an Ohio countryside and an island. How about you guys?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

The Jungle

The hot unrelenting glare of sun beat down on the beach. The winds coming off the ocean were of little comfort. As the sun climbed up in the sky, the day kept growing hotter. At the moment the current temperature seemed to be around 90 degrees, but soon it would hit 100. The heat reminded everyone of the threat of dehydration.

Part of the group readies themselves for a trek into the jungle. They all realize the necessity of going into the jungle. If they wanted water, then they would have to go into the jungle. The jungle would also provide them with food as well. Charlie, Lane, and Elijah head into the green wall of plants. As they leave the beach, the overhead foliage acts as a break from the sun. A few steps into the jungle, they are greeted by the sentries of the jungle, insects. The group is swarmed by the small flying annoyances. Gnats, flies and mosquitoes plague the group while they make their way through the tall grasses and bushes that make up the undergrowth of the island. Visibility is short, only ten to twenty feet away.

Ten minutes into the hike, the group finds that they are disoriented. Those who are familiar with the intricacies of the outdoors, find that what they perceive to be north doesn't feel like north. Looking back towards the beach (the beach is in that direction, right?), there's no indication of the beach in that direction. Its as if they've traveled further than they expected to move.

The Beach

Professor Ezekiel searches the beach, but finds nothing more that would help the group survive the island. He and Sister Flora begin walking along the beach to see if there are any more survivors to be found. Meanwhile, Felix begins to collect bamboo.

As the Professor and the sister walk along the shore looking for other survivors, she spots various plants that were edible. She spots a few edible plants at the edge of the jungle, but if she wanted to find more it would require her to venture into the forest. As she is looking at the plants, she happens to see a coconut on the ground.

For the Jungle group, I need to know the order in which you are moving along. Also those with outdoorsman ability find that their natural sense of direction is off. There is no reason for this.

The beachcombers find no other people along the beach. Since Felix is now an NPC, I'm going to have him do some grunt work. Also how far are the beach combers going to travel along the beach?

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 1, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Elijah - Jungle Border
Health 8/9

"Something's not right." He looks down to find his hands are shaking. They're quickly stuffed into his pockets; this can't be like the chamber, that's impossible. "We can't have gone this far already. Not at our pace..."

Walking over to a nearby tree, he slashes a small X into the bark. A weak smile greets his companions. "Hunger must be messing with me. Still, no use getting lost on our first trip out, right?"

I guess Elijah will go first.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Charlie - Jungle

"I know what you mean. Something just feels off about this but I can't put my finger on it." Charlie glances around and grabs his pocket knife flicking the blade out. "Never fear though. I'm armed and dangerous." as he brandishes the tiny blade as menacingly as one can.

I'll go second I guess.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Health 5/7

"I think that the bounty from the sea should be enough to sustain us for a while, but we might also need medical herbs and the like Sister." Eziekel said respectfully as he stared at the ocean. "I know a bit of medicine, let me examine a few of these plants on the edge of the forest to see if any are useful for our current situation."

The professor has medicine as a skill going to see if he sees anything that would be a common knowledge to those with medical experience.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lane Butler - Jungle
Health 9/10

Lane feels his smile twist a bit in confusion as he realizes that the sun was over there when he came into this jungle, and now the light's coming from over there. "How did we get turned around this quickly?" he sputters as he twirls the electric torch in his hands. "Was someone marking where we'd come from? I..." He licks his lips and takes a deep breath. There's a lot of flora here that he's never seen before...and come to think of it, he's had a fair bit of experience with, well...plant extracts. Japan was a wonderful place. Maybe something here looks and acts like poppies?

I'm going to tap into both Outdoorsman and Pharmacy. Do any of these plants seem hallucinogenic?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Health 5/6

"Thank you for your assistance, Professor," Flora says as the pair work their way along the shoreline. "I've not seen any plants I recognise from my studies yet, but we can hope."

"What's your own field of expertise, if I can ask?" Strange to be making polite conversation in this terrible situation, but focusing on the here and now helps to keep her head clear.

I'd say we should continue for about half an hour's walking distance along the beach before turning back.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Health 5/7

"Yes, quite. Afraid that plants were never my focus. I am a theoretical physicist, though I have some chemistry and a little bit Medicine. I have been teaching for years in several universities. Was on my way to a conference on gunpowder, when I was waylaid, yes." Chewing thoughtfully on the pipe, Ezekiel gave a brief nod to the Sister. "I imagine your tale is fairly interesting, though I fear my experience with the clergy is quite limited. Much too busy if you do forgive me." Adjusting his coat, he looks over a few of the herbs that grew near the edge of the beach trying to examine them.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jungle

While Charlie and Elijah have no idea how they could become disoriented, Lane has his own theory. He crouches down and looks through the plants around them. He takes special note to look at the flowers. Lane finds some red flowers, but they're not opium poppies. Nor are they any kind of known psychogenic plant. The flowers he sees are all native to the south east Pacific islands. While he inspecting the plants, he finds that the reproductive parts of the plants are immature and stunted. Looking at other flowers, he finds that all of them are fully grown, but their reproductive structures look as though they're in an earlier stage of growth.

While Lane studies the flowers, he doesn't see the python sneak across a branch above him. Lane notices the constrictor just as its falling down from the branch above him. Charlie and Elijah turn around to see the snake falling on Lane.

Beach

Sister Flora and the Professor continue to walk down the beach. The Professor sees no herbs of any kind among the greenery next to the beach, but he does see some green coconuts. They both happen to notice something in the distance. Up ahead another couple miles, the shoreline turns rocky. It also appears that there are some cliffs there as well.

Lane needs to make an unknown athletics check. If Lane fails the check, then the other two guys have some options. Charlie can make either a difficulty 4 weapons check to attack the snake or a Difficulty 6 scuffling check to get the snake off of Lane. Elijah can make a 6 scuffling check to get the snake off Lane.

If Lane makes the athletics check, then Charlie can still make the weapons attack.

Of course Charlie and Elijah could do other actions as well. I've only listed the actions that directly pertain to the snake right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lane Butler - Jungle
Athletics 6-2/6 Health 9/10

The jungle dirt and moss isn't going to do his suit pants any favors, but it's not like Lane's worried about them getting any worse. The saltwater probably killed them anyway. These flowers are much more interesting...assuming they're what he think they are. Which they don't seem to be. They do look strange, though, judging by the stamens...were these cultivated?

He's about to reach forward and grab one when something decidedly undesirable lands on his back.

"EeeeeEEEEEEK!" He shrieks in a decidedly high-pitched tone. "GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF AAAAAAH!"

Come on, Lane, you can do it! Yeeee, Get it Off! (Athletics +2): 1d6+2 6

• Locked thread