Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DoctorWhat posted:

...no.

Big Finish is not as good or as revolutionary as it once was, unfortunately. Hell, in the handful of years between Peri and the Piscon Paradox and The Widow's Assassin, BF took a considerable nosedive in terms of being radical or subversive, both of which Who should really be.

An Ordinary Life :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

computer parts posted:

Is the Terry Nation Estate stuff actually true because if so then the Daleks are the last villains you should complain about revisiting.

Funny you should ask. This was just posted earlier today

Moff at the Radio Times Festival posted:

Moffat denied an ancient fan rumour that there was a contractual duty to include the Daleks in each series of Doctor Who. "My mother in law was Terry Nation's agent when he created the Daleks. Believe me there is no such clause in the contract".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timby posted:

I haven't read The Writer's Tale in quite a while, but Doctor Who was printing money for the BBC in 2009-10. Moffat wasn't sure if he wanted to take over producing the show, but the BBC was going to find someone to do it.

Edit: I think Joe Lidster, who was running The Sarah Jane Adventures at the time, was next in line in the event that Moffat declined.

Phil Ford was running SJA. That makes more sense than a guy who's only written a few stories.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

JOHN HURT IS THE WAR DOCTOR FOR BIG FINISH FOR 12 EPISODES!!!!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-war-doctor

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A prequel series with the Eighth Doctor too!!!!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

We better get John Hurt vs Terry Molloy, is all I'm saying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The translation matrix always seemed to work by replacing the language in question with English (or whatever language they were speaking), I can see a physical language being outside of its ability.

It can't translate the Delphon's eyebrow language.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Isn't that the 3.75 inch figure though?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

yknow the doctor HAS met Satan, why hasn't there been an episode about the Doctor vs the Elder Things, lovecraftian unknowable things from beyond the veil would fit in with the current show so well. I mean flatline and some other monsters of the week have some lovecraft shades but straight up saying, "yeah we're doing lovecraft things this episode, Doctor is meeting the Yith" or something would be pretty cool.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/lurkers-at-sunlight-s-edge-307

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Well, it's Tennant and Tate, but only for 3 stories?

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-tenth-doctor-adventures

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I think between episodes of the show it's silly to say this, but I think between it and comics/books it isn't. I'll count audio drama's with the show episodes.

Amy is still my favorite Companion of the new series, and not just because i'm totally :swoon: over Karen Gillian, but I'd say Donna is certainly second best. I think Clara and Martha tie for 3rd and Rose is 4th.

Anyone watch the interview with them? Tate looks like she's about to burst into tears when Tennant is praising her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

side_burned posted:

Edit: I don't know where else to ask this but how is non Doctor Who stuff Big Finish does? I saw that Adrian Paul has done some Highlander audios are those any good?

Highlander's good, but MGM revoked their license, so they're not allowed to press/sell them anymore, along with Stargate, so if you want them, you're going to have to look around for them.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

The only completely DW-related release of theirs I've listened to was "Treasure Island" and it was a hoot (with Tom Baker as Long John Silver AND HIS PARROT, how could it be anything else?). That said, a lot of their Doctor Who spin-off series are excellent and are only barely related to DW. Jago & Litefoot in particular might just be my favorite thing BF puts out.

Corrected that for you

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vincent

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McDragon posted:

Sam Swift was Rufus Hound? That's why he looked familiar.

He's also in Nov's Early Adventure, "The Black Hole"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The worst thing about The Rani was Pip and Jane. As a character concept I think there's plenty of mileage in her as long as we don't have to put up with that horrendous writing.

BF's Planet of the Rani was really good. Siobhan Redmond is a fantastic Rani.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I like to believe Harry Sullivan came up with the Zygon weapon by accident and he and the Seventh Doctor worked together to steal it away from the MOD.

I'll be upset if they reveal that the Doctor is still in possession of it instead of chucking it in the nearest black hole as soon as he stole it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This thread needs cheering up. So what else has been going on?

Well, "The Underwater Menace" was finally released on DVD in the UK. However, the reconstructions for episodes 1 & 4 are apparently below the usual standards. Just the still images from the telesnaps with the soundtrack playing over them. No opening or closing credits, as I'm led to believe, doing so would have meant the BBC would then have to pay to have them submitted for a ratings classification.

Well, guess who's not happy about this?

Ian Levine posted:

I AM ABSOLUTELY APPALLED, ANGRY, AND FURIOUS.

After making us wait four long years to get The Underwater Menace on DVD with the missing episode that was found in 2011, the miserable stingy BBC Restoration Team - or more accurately the loathsome Dan Hall - finally reward us with the two most pathetic, lovely, pitiful, abortions of the WORST EVER recons in history.
When I heard that parts one and four were to be telesnap recons, I though here's the chance to let Derek Handley shine as he is so talented. But I must admit there was a niggling doubt, PLEASE GOD don't let them allow that talentless hack John Kelly, anywhere near them, not after the pigs ear of a lovely job he vomited forth with his Web Of Fear Part Three.

BUT NO - in his infinite wisdom the dreadful Dan Hall handed it over to this talentless hack.

ABSOLUTELY f*****g DREADFUL !!!!!!

Can you believe the recons don't even have opening and closing credits !!!
And in one scene in part four, a shot of Zaroff drowning was stuck on screen for a whole minute while other unrelated characters were talking away.
HOW THE f*ck is anyone who doesn't know the story supposed to know what the f*ck is going on !!!!!

I have never seen such a talentless abortion in my whole f*****g life.
SLOPPY, LAZY, UNIMAGINATIVE, TURGID - NO f*****g EXCUSE.

Doctor Who fans are not fools you know.
They have all seen enough Loose Cannon reckons to know that this lovely sloppy botched job is simply not acceptable.

POOR BBC - Couldn't they afford the bloody opening sequences.
They didn't even bother to include the censor clips from parts one and four in the recon.

Everyone now cynically believes that they are so sick of fans asking for recons of the missing episodes to be released that they have done this intentionally on purpose - put out recons so dire that nobody will ever ask for them again.

WELL I am sorry but this just won't do - it's beyond appalling. John Kelly should be eviscerated for this inexcusable disgrace - and so should Dan Hall.
JOBS FOR THE BOYS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE IN 2015.
A child of three could have done better.

It's Shada all over again.

I FEEL SICK AFTER A FOUR YEAR WAIT.

Well, that's not the end of it. Several people came to John Kelly's defense, saying that he offered to do the recons differently, for the same amount of money, but the BBCWW do it as instructed.
So Ian gave his usual "apology":

quote:

Okay I apologise for what I said about John Kelly, but he DID do a really lovely lazy sloppy job on Web Of Fear part three. And Adam’s animation is SOOO much better. It brought up all my inner rage about Shada all over again, after I spent forty one thousand pounds making a wonderful professional and COMPLETE version.

Now keep in mind, he was not commissioned by the BBC to do an animated version of "Shada". He did that all on his own, then presented it to them, expecting them to be grateful that he did, and to release on the DVD. Never mind that he never got permission from the actors involved to use their likenesses, or permission from the Adams estate to do this. He just assumed that since he's IAN LEVINE, then everything would be taken care of for him.

And now he's sworn yet another vendetta:

quote:

I want to know the name of the cretin at BBC Worldwide who insisted that the recons have no opening and closing credits, no composites, no zooms, no shots from the other episodes and no censor clips. In other words the person who basically said MAKE IT sh*t. One way or another I will find out and make it my business to publicly demand this lazy sloppy selfish dipshit gets fired.

So basically he's looking to make someone's life a living hell because some recons aren't up to HIS standard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's a complete turd but lovely recons with no opening or closing credits are a gamebreaker for me when it comes to buying the DVD. If they're worse than the LC ones then what's the point?

Yes, and you have a completely rational response. You don't want to buy it because you don't like the recons. That's absolutely your choice as a consumer. What I don't see you doing is declaring a attack on the guy who commissioned them. Because again, you're a rational human being.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would quite like to have his record collection, though.

Did he ever get anyone to give him the money to help buy that one collection? You know, the one where he flat out said that he'd be the one to choose which records the person helping him would get to keep?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Actually, come to think of it, I read this pretty good book about Northern soul a while back (granted, it's from 2010, so it might not be entirely up to date) and I have a bit of a notion that Levine might have had to sell most of his records when that enterprise he was running in the late 1980s where he got old Motown singers into the studio fell apart and bankrupted his production company.

Pretty sure he does still have his collection of every single DC comic ever published, though.

Can't find it now, but found an old forum awhile where he had posted trying to find boys for his boy band project. I think they were going to be called something like "Ju5tice".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand he's not doing so well at the moment - had a pretty bad stroke last year that he's still recovering from, which is a nasty thing to happen to anybody.

Which makes it all the more sad that he gets so worked up over anything so inconsequential as recons.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In Warriors of the Deep every single individual (silurian or human) that appears dies, except the TARDIS crew.

Jerusalem posted:

In Caves of Androzani, I believe every single character except for Peri and one secretary (who just walks off screen and is never seen again) die. Including the Doctor!

Sames goes for Horror of Fang Rock

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly the Big Finish UNIT Extinction boxset comes out on Monday. I'd hazard a guess they were waiting for this story to get out of the way before the release..?

Takes place before "The Day of the Doctor", so this story's not bound to have that much of impact.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

To me, it’s Black Christmas, The Ref, and this scratched up episode of Doctor Who I found in an old film can in my grandfather’s garage. The Feast of Seven or something?

I should give a name of a forum I lurk at. They have, over 2 threads, 6500 pages "discussing" the MEs. (It's really just 6500 pages of people calling each other names for believing/not believing the "Omni-rumor")

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

I can't remember the specifics but there have been a few times where the doctor has given some weird wistful looks at Clara when she has talked about being around forever and the future and he has acted oddly when it comes to her safety. Similar to the "felt like a month" thing. Nothing concrete, just some vibes.

I did the same :)

He is a time traveler. I'm beginning to wonder if she hasn't already died and he's so lonely he keeps going back and visiting her before it's happened, just to see her again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

adhuin posted:

I agree with Jerusalems recommendations. If you're more budget conscious, the first 50 monthly releases are 2.99 £/$/€ each so try one of them.

edit:
On other Big Finish news:
http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-big-200-choose-your-number-one-doctor-who-main-range-release
You can vote for the Spare Parts as the best Monthly release. There might be 19 other candidates.

I was going to vote Spare Parts, but Davros is on that list.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Here's what you need to keep in mind about the first season of McGann audio: it was basically "Holy poo poo, Paul actually said yes? And he needs scripts when?"

Out of the four, only Storm Warning was a entirely new script. Sword of Orion and Minuet in Hell were rewrites (heavily, in both cases, but still rewrites) of old Audio Visuals CDs, and The Stones of Venice was originally written for Tom (as one of three. The others were The Spectre of Lanyon Moor and The Holy Terror). They had a very short turnaround to come up with scripts to show him, which is indicative of their quality. They had more time for season 2, which ended up giving us Chimes, Seasons, and Neverland.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I irrationally despise the VWORP VWORP. It's the least accurate onomatopoeia since SNAP-HISS for lightsaber.

DWM actually changed it for a while, but got a load of complaints, so they went back to VWORP VWORP

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You know, if they had managed to work in a plot about cyberspace and only had McCoy appear at the beginning and end, this would have been the perfect Virgin New Adventure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He's a year and half younger than Capaldi.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

But for Lidster, being a companion has to be the worst thing imaginable - it's one of his recurring themes.

Not only his, a lot of Doctor Who authors are like that. I don't know if they think it's "edgy", or "profound", but a lot of them like writing post-travels life with the Doctor as the worst thing ever. Jo's life in the BBC 8 Doctor novel "Genocide". Ace, in the NAs.

And Dodo. Poor Dodo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Liked the opening credits, and liked the Doctor getting upset at Clara for calling it a space restaurant.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

This makes it clear that while 8 was not the one who fought in the time war, he was the one who got rid of the round things and is therefore history's greatest monster.

Eight's had round things, though. They're on the pillars arching over the console.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Hey, guys, look what I found an in print copy of!

It came with this stack of free books...

Reminds me of about fifteen years ago when I walked into a Half Price books . . .

. . . and walked out with 77 Target novelizations.

Mark Gatiss retweeted this:

https://twitter.com/ReetuKabra/status/668311001830436865

For shame, gentlemen. For shame!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I used to have money, you know :cripes:

Edit: Oh my God, the Sixth Doctor is doing companion stories with Jamie and Zoe now? :vince:

They already have my money. All of it.

Nah, the Jamie and Zoe thing was part of a trilogy earlier this year, where a future incarnation of the Doctor found himself transported back to an earlier point in his timeline, so you had Seven wth Jo, Six with Jamie & Zoe, and Five with Steven & Vicki.

Though Six did have a brief quadrilogy with Jamie a couple years back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

Seven with Jo? Oh man, I think I need to hear that. Was it any good?

It wasn't bad, but out of the three, the one with 5, Steven, and Vicki was amazing. Interestingly enough, it basically did the same thing Six's "final" story, The Brink of Death, tried to do, but pulled it of much more successfully.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

It's just one clip, so I don't want to draw any sweeping conclusions, but he sounds really off in that one clip. Not nearly.....gravely enough.

Well, it's not taking place on the last day of the Time War.

And Matt Lucas confirmed for the X-Mas special. Sadly, he won't be reprising his role as the Jelloid from "The One Doctor"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Short Synopsis: A nasty, squalid little story to be avoided.

To anyone thinking, "Nah, surely it can't be that bad." It is. Hands down the worst BF Who story. Avoid it. If you listen to it, you will hate yourself for doing so.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BF announced the release date for The War Doctor: Mon, Dec 14!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---the-war-doctor-1-only-the-monstrous---coming-december-14th-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TL posted:

They've used footage of McGann and Eric Roberts on the show, if they want to go there they absolutely can.

They can use them because they're playing BBC created characters, but I'm not sure about anything else from the TVM. Example, BF can't use Grace or Chang Lee.

• Locked thread