Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

PUNISHED TOXX
~A Reluctant Lover Of WHO~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Jumbled mess with some fun bits. And some quarries.
Nice to see the UNIT leader is still as useless as ever.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

I don't know where people are getting "mess" from, there was nothing really confusing or out of nowhere, but it did feel to me like not a lot actually happened; possibly Moffat's lost his touch at pacing two-parters and the interesting stuff will all be next week.

There's a lot of hurried jumping to different locations, plot points which peter out almost instantly, and break-neck tonal shifts. And not really enough time for everything to sink in. It'll be easier to guage when the second part comes out, but yeah, there's a lot of ideas in this episode, but only a little seems to be relevant to the story they're trying to tell at the moment.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Astroman posted:

I agree with a lot of the thoughts ITT, the episode did seem to be a lot of big setpieces, over the top montages that were written as cool scenes first and strung together in a barely there plot. Missy was fantastic, Davros was fantastic, but then again all the individual scenes were fantastic on their own.

The moments and vignettes are great, but there's got to be some substance and cohesion behind them, or it just ends up running on fumes. And that's kinda the problem I have with this episode; it's either trying to reintroduce us to stuff that's going to become relevant for the rest of this series (in which case, it's been done in a super clumsy way, all disjointedly crammed in) . Or, none of it has any relevance, which means it's wasted potential.

There's simultaneously too much going on, and not enough going on. You've got Voldemort, "The Doctor's dying!", you've got Davros, " Davros is dying!", you've got Missy, you've got UNIT, space-police, sisters of eternal boredom, "Have I the right?", Daleks, etc, etc...

Or tl;dr

Strom Cuzewon posted:

All the planes have stopped is it a bomb is it an earthquake Panic panic whizzbang rushy rushy oh it's Missy that was easy planes are moving.

[e]:

Jerusalem posted:

Almost forgot the most important gif of all.

"The dog's unmentionables" :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 20, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Yeah, that was a pretty great character moment. Gomez's delivery is perfect.

Chokes McGee posted:

This is one of the many, many times I never understand the First Rule of Doctor Who. It's like when I find out there are people who like are willing to excuse the Twin Dilemma. :magical:

Ah, just different tastes. :)

I just wanted it to stick to one thing, not jump all over the place - and some of the stuff would be basis enough for an episode by themselves. Obviously got to see where it's going, though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 20, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Well...it was better than the first part. Missy and Davros were pretty great. Snake guy was worthless.
It's rather wasted as a two-parter, considering that 90% of the first part was inconsequential nothing. It's better paced, tighter focused, but lacking cohesion.

Something something Master's daughter something something prophesied hybrid something something don't give a poo poo.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 26, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cleretic posted:

This is kind of a weird two-parter, structurally. Last week's episode was one that really needed its second part to complete the story, but this episode barely needed the previous at all. I mean it does need it, if only for context, but it almost works as a standalone just because so few questions it raises were answered in the first. That's not a bad thing, but it does enforce that feeling that this might have been planned as a movie-length opener.

I think my favorite part, doing no disservice to the rest of the episode, was The Only Other Chair On Skaro.

Yeah, the way it's paced and structured, it didn't really need to be a two-parter. It feels like they wasted nearly a full episode on stuff that doesn't matter. It definitely seems like reception to the episodes as a pair, is very mixed.

Davros' delivery on that joke was great. Probably my favourite in that episode.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was astounded that they got such an amazing joke out of Davros. :suspense:.

The biggest difference between Davros and the Daleks is that, unlike them, he possesses a sense of humour. It's normally quite dry or dark depending on the story.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This was an attempt at a straight blending of Time Lord and Dalek DNA.

It's been done.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Like he said, the consolidated ratings aren't out yet.

By the by, I'm amazed Casualty is still going. How many hours of television has that produced now?

Currently 964 episodes. At a minimum estimation (going by the standard length 50 mins) at least 48,200 minutes of melodramatic accidents, and unlikely injuries.
Or, if you'd prefer; 33-and-a-half days, watching it non-stop.

In comparison, watching the entirety of the show from the Hartnell era to the latest episode is something like 20 days (it's something around the 380 hours mark).
And while breaking down numbers, just the monthly range of BF Who - 389 hours (16 days!)

[e]: wait a sec. Me was am durr at maths :downs:
[e2]: Corrected now.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 27, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Regarde Aduck posted:

These two episodes were better than any of last season. First time I've been entertained since Smith left. What the gently caress got into the writing team last season. It was so awful I felt like I was back in the RTD era!.

Last series was uneven...but I don't think these episodes were as good as say, Flatline or Mummy. And certainly nowhere as bad as the Forest episode; I guess I'm just not that overwhelmed with these two. :geno:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CobiWann posted:

I'm going to need more photographic evidence before I can draw a proper conclusion.

Here's the "Frockumentary" they made about Lalla Ward's costumes.

Romana I (Mary Tamm)

Romana II (Lalla Ward)

Romana III "Trey" (Juliet Landau - Big Finish)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 29, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cerv posted:

Admittedly it's been at least a year since I watched 1&2 again but I recall them being pretty decent.

I know the weird lighting in the first few seasons doesn't do the show any favours, visually speaking. The sort of lighting that gives everyone a waxy sheen, and makes everything look a bit cheap.

I suppose the CGI is ropey, and really hasn't aged well, but to be fair, it's a sci-fi adventure on a budget, and they use practical non-CGI methods when they can. And on a more personal level, if I can get over a monster made of bubble wrap, I can get over a badly CGI'd shitfest, though the latter lacks the charm of the former.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jsor posted:

Does that mean we're going to get a so totally grown up show for grown ups like Torchwood again?

I suppose they could always dig up that BBV Zygon film about podgy shapeshifters loving.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 1, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

And More posted:

It's really strange that they keep bringing back children as recurring characters. First it's those two kids, then it's Courtney Woods for series 8. Maybe they'll have more luck with confirmed talented actress Maisie Williams.

They should have more recurring child characters...then have Moffat pull an Earthshock :getin:

I wish there was a bit more variety in companions, to be honest. An alien, or someone from the future or past - something other than a 21st century twentysomething Earthgirl.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

And More posted:

Doctor Who is weird.

Robonipples.

Just to add to the weird factor.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:allears: That was so much better than the last episode; everything felt pretty tight - I know it's a typical base-under-siege type story, but it's told extremely well.
Also I like Capaldi being more arsey. Arsey irritable Capaldi is the best Capaldi.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed it - it felt a lot like a Tom Baker type episode to me. For some reason it made me think of "The Ark In Space"?

Or maybe even one of the old Troughton base-under-siege stories?

Yeah, agreed, it had that old Who sorta vibe to it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr Beens posted:

I loved the cards - did you manage to capture the others?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Davros1 posted:

JOHN HURT IS THE WAR DOCTOR FOR BIG FINISH FOR 12 EPISODES!!!!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-war-doctor

BF pls :shepspends:

I was thinking only the other day "Shame that Hurt is only really in one episode. Could have in a a few more I guess, but...eh...probably too expensive, and impractical - he is getting on a bit. There's always Big Finish! ...hmm...well maybe he's not interested in audios- :stonk:"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It was ok. I prefer the first part. That said, I liked how low-key this episode was, and the unusual setting for the past. Thought they'd've given the Fisher King more things to do (or given a relevance to the name). As a two parter, the episodes are fine follow-on. On its own, meh, I still think the first part was stronger.

Daredevil vision bit was dumb too - completely broke the tension they were building up with a bad filter.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's PRETTY GREAT

You're not meant to be regenerating yet! :cool:
---

Nice reviewl, Cobi. As usual hitting the nail on the head on the positives and shortcomings.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

I think it's just that he's always had a craggy well-worn face. Even when he was young, he looked drat tired. He was nearly 40 when he did Alien.

It's weird thinking he was ever young.

This is how he looked in his earliest film role, 1962's The Wild and the Willing. He was only 22 at the time.

Rest of the young Doctors for comparison.

Hartnell - teens and late-teens/early twenties.

Troughton (16!)

Pertwee

Baker

Davison

Baker

McCoy - (35 or so) pretty sure he was loomed to look middle-aged.

McGann - stupid sexy McGann :argh:

Eccleston (left at 30, right is younger)

Tennant

Smith

Capaldi twenties.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 15, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jsor posted:

I wouldn't mind if most of them asked me to play doctor with them. :syoon:

I mean, I'd say no, but it seemed like an appropriate line.

Here's a more age appropriate Matt Smith

And he's now morphed into his Final Form:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not keen on this hybrid stuff. Liked the reasoning for the face - though I guess by that logic Six's reason is to remind himself to be abrasive to people :v:
I don't really understand the press hype towards the GOT actress - her character's bland, her acting is kinda bland, and I rolled my eyes during the dialogue in her shack with the Doctor about her being unique, or whatever guff was said.

Meh, episode. But it can stand on its own as a complete episode, without feeling like they ran out of time, or edited the poo poo outta it. Probably the most indifferent I've been to stuff happening so far in the season though. :effort:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Finally, the Doctor Who 2015 CGI buget has caught up to 1996. :haw:

Some stuff is excusable for the sake of narrative convention...unless you really want to be watching people trying to speak Old Norse for an hour. Or wondering why physics struggles with a eel-powered electro-magnet.

The rest of the complaints could just be put down to lazy, inconsistant writing, which is fair enough.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 17, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

FiftySeven posted:

Urgh, that episode really didnt hit home for me at all. Maisie Williams just didnt suit the character she was trying to play and the only bits I felt sold on in the episode were when she was begging the doctor to take her with him (It didnt feel like he had any reason not to) and when Sam Swift was punning with the Doctor at the gallows. What a waste.

Same. She was just kinda there for the most part - I didn't feel she had much impact in the role. The episode as a whole was ok, I guess. Had I been interested in William's character it might have been better; as it is, it's sorta blandly enjoyable. Overall better than the first part, but both are just okay. Neither really did anything for me. :geno:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tavarin posted:

They sure have been announcing a lot recently.

There's also this picture with that.

It's not indicative of anything, but that Tardis exterior is Tennants.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 25, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

Ah yes, I forgot the time that Cthulhu travelled with the Doctor.

Eighth Doctor. Amnesia. It happens :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

...the hell?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Acne Rain posted:

The season is still so much better than last one, which I think I will advise people interested in the series to skip at this point. Nothing feels as lame and pointless and just completely unpleasent as Robot of Sherwood or Caretaker.

I'm not too sure to be honest; I thought series 8 had some pretty killer episodes (Flatline, Mummy, Time Heist), but on the flipside, absolute cack like KTM and Forest of Night. Whereas this series, only Under the Lake really did anything for me - I've found the rest either kinda dull, or blandly acceptable. :shrug:

I'm hoping it picks up for the remaining half of the series.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 26, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Spoiler for Big Finish's announcement at 10 am:

:dance:

thexerox123 posted:

I hope it has a remixed version of the K9 and Company theme song.

Sadly nothing that amazing.

Pleasant enough generic sci-fi music though. The series is in that weird legal limbo where it can't directly mention anything to do with Doctor Who, so can only indirectly reference or skirt around the issue. It's a bit ropey in a charming way, although the accents are a bit dodge - it's meant to be set in London, but it's the most Australian thing you'll ever see. I'm not sure it was that successful; there was only the one series.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:toot:

quote:

David Tennant is returning as the Tenth Doctor alongside Catherine Tate as his companion Donna Noble in three Doctor Who Audio Dramas!

David Tennant portrayed the Doctor on screen from 2005 until 1 January 2010, returning to play alongside Matt Smith and John Hurt in the 50th Anniversary special The Day of the Doctor in 2013. Catherine Tate made her debut as Donna in December 2006, and after a series and two festive specials she made her last appearance alongside David on 1 January 2010. Their on-screen partnership is generally regarded as one of the great high-points of the enduring science fiction phenomenon.

'I still remember the sense of joy I had when I heard that David had been asked to play the Doctor,' says Big Finish executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery. 'We were all so pleased for him — as we knew how much Doctor Who meant to him. And now David comes full circle, back doing Doctor Who with Big Finish — except that this time he’s playing the Doctor! It’s the same but different — it’s wonderful to have him back!'

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures will be released in May 2016 and comprises three thrilling full cast audio adventures.

The series opens with Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Technophobia by Matt Fitton, which is set in a London slightly in the future, where mankind is gradually losing its ability to use everyday technology. Could there be an evil force at work?

In Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Time Reaver by Jenny T Colgan the Doctor and Donna arrive on Calibris - ‘An entirely mechanical planet. Catch, hitch, fuel, fix, buy, pretty much any kind of transportation in existence.’ It’s also a world full of scoundrels, where a deadly black market has opened up in a device known only as the Time Reaver.

Finally, in Doctor Who – The Tenth Doctor Adventures: Death and the Queen by James Goss, Donna is swept along in a fairytale romance and meets the man of her dreams in the beautiful land of Goritania. What can possibly go wrong? And why has the Doctor never heard of Goritania?

'I’ve enjoyed working with all the Doctors on TV, but David is on the only one I’d known before he became the Doctor,' says executive producer Nicholas Briggs. 'I’d worked with him on our Dalek Empire series for Big Finish and had such fun. So along with the excitement of directing new Tenth Doctor adventures, I’m so happy to be working with an old chum again.'

Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Adventures is produced by David Richardson, script edited by Matt Fitton and James Goss and directed by Nicholas Briggs.

'This is one of those dream projects where I’ve spent months pinching myself. I’m covered in bruises,’ says David. ‘With two major international stars in place, and the legacy of this era of the TV show to live up to, we’ve worked our socks off to try and make some very special stories for this box set. Expect adventure, fun, scares... and some tears too.'

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 26, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
But does he have the right?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I don't think it's been posted before, but there's some magazine subscription thing producing hard-back books covering the making and history of the episodes;

They normally cover at least two stories and go into various publicity, behind-the-scenes, and other stuff. They're nicely chunky, usually at around 150 pages, and nicely presented. Downside, it's £10 ($18ish) per issue, and American's don't get any of the freebie stuff for subscription (I'm sure the loss of tacky Doctor Who wallet or Thermos is devastating).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 31, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

echoplex posted:

I will say that that episode was more blunt/on the nose on paper, so I thought the final version was an improvement.

Christ almighty. I'm struggling to think how less subtle it was in the original draft. Good job on the sets BTW.
It seems needless to say it, but goddamn the writing in this is...far from good. Nothing worse than the plot making characters do dumb things because it requires them to be idiots to work.

Jerusalem posted:

Just a very few The Zygon Invasion gifs

Nice :haw:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 1, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Little_wh0re posted:

Are unit actually, painfully, retarded?

I think Cyber-Brig took most of the intelligence quota with him.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

echoplex posted:

I made her a nice laser-engraved ID badge full of TTOI refs which APPARENTLY SHE DOESN'T WEAR

Can you say what was on it? If you can't that's fine, I understand :)

It's always cool to hear about the behind the scenes stuff, espcially poo poo the viewer doesn't even consider, but would notice the absence of.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

No wonder that little pigman ran away when it realized it was in 21st Century London in Aliens of London :ohdear:

"Don't challenge me, David Cameron. 'Cause I'm a completely new man. I could bring down your Government with a single word."
"You're the most remarkable man I've ever met. But I don't think you're quite capable of that."
"No, you're right. Not a single word...Just six."
"I don't think so."
"Six words."
"Stop it!"
"Six. *whispering* David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apparently that Lego thing has a lot of neat little details put into it. :allears:

• Locked thread