Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I can't remember the last time there was a space bar in the show. The space Orient Express maybe.
There's been a couple of times. And there's always an Ood. There's always the goddamn Ood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
This episode felt really off direction-wise, as if a veteran director stepped in, decided to do some of that new-fangled dynamic camerawork the kids are into nowadays and failed miserably. I know that's not the case, it's just what it felt like. The high-five scene and the "Clara you are way too chippy" scene were particularly flat when it came to pacing.

Also, the music felt off too, what with Gold going for a more Old-Who synth/ambient sound for the score. That's a good off, though.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Also holy poo poo an 8th Doctor prequel for the early days of the Time War, AND Jacqueline Pearce getting to basically play Servalan vs the Daleks :aaa:
Servalan is such a moffat character though :v:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

CobiWann posted:

The strengths of Moffat's script are enhanced by the direction of Rachel Talalay, who helmed Dark Water and Death in Heaven, and Murray Gold actually using an understated score for once. The actual “HOLY CRAP IT'S MURRAY GOLD MUSIC” moments work because they're paired with moments that actually called for emotional and impactful music.
Good writeup, but I gotta say, Gold has been on his best behaviour this entire season. There is a far better balance recently between bombast and more classic, electronic stuff and I love it. Moffat has been getting a lot of poo poo for listening to Tumblr, but I think his willingness to listen to feedback and make adjustments accordingly has been in general a welcome trend.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

David Tennant is voicing Fugitoid on the new TMNT series! I didn't recognize his voice until the newest episode where the character giggles and I was like "Doctor?"
Between this and Jessica Jones Tennant is quickly approaching late Leonard Nimoy's levels of appearing in assorted nerd poo poo.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Artelier posted:

I just saw the latest episode and loved it. Are all the episodes like this?

I have never seen Doctor Who in my life.

What should I do next? Start with the Tennants? Start raw with latest Season? I'm not really keep on starting from original series all the way till now though...too much time.
As mentioned The Eleventh Hour is the latest natural starting point for people news to the series. That leaves you with five seasons to catch up with if you like the series and decide to stick with it. If you don't, though, at the very least watch Blink. It's also a standalone episode that's not really indicative of the show's quality or format, but it's some of the best TV I've ever watched, so you should check it out for the sole reason of being able to say you've watched Blink.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

CommonShore posted:

He has no regard for continuity or spoilers - he just wanted pure entertainment in 2-3 eps per season which showed something of the show's range (which imo is the best part of Doctor Who - it has the freedom to explore any sci fi premise).
Really, if you're only limited to 2 stories per season then you can just as well pick those you consider the best and roll with it, since any two random stories are likely to vary by tone if not by setting (even the ones set in 21st century London tend to play with the format a lot).

I remember series 6 being the most samey one in my view, and even that went from 60s Yankee paranoia to Matt Smith impersonating Jack Sparrow in the span of the 3 first episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Also, it has always been a fairly off-hand thing, so it's weird that the fandom and the reboot chose to cling so tenuously to this particular off-hand piece of trivia.

• Locked thread