Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ahaha, the copy of The Silmarillion with pages marked. Hope no one takes that seriously or Jackson will be running from assassins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Flea Wars posted:

Cyber Manday, surely?

Who's Cyber Mandy?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
She came and she gave without taking,
But I made her like us
She will be like us

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Action Jacktion posted:

Ahaha, the copy of The Silmarillion with pages marked. Hope no one takes that seriously or Jackson will be running from assassins.

I haven't seen the Hobbit trilogy or followed it much. Do Tolkien Fans hate Peter Jackson now?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Greyhawk posted:

I haven't seen the Hobbit trilogy or followed it much. Do Tolkien Fans hate Peter Jackson now?

The Hobbit films are a bit of a mess. Partially down to the enforced trilogy but not entirely.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Greyhawk posted:

What is wrong with the Hobbit movies has barely anything to do with Peter Jackson.

If you know the horrible story behind them, you'd understand why these movies would never have worked out the way they were.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Hobbit films are a bit of a mess. Partially down to the enforced trilogy but not entirely.

But Sly was the best part

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well also because they knew this was the last Middle Earth thing they could do and they shoved all the continuity they could into it and destroyed the pacing.

they WERE right though, Christopher Lee did die soon after.

(but of course, the who episode will go back to Peter's splatter horror origins, I'm sure)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

EXPLAAAIN

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

well also because they knew this was the last Middle Earth thing they could do and they shoved all the continuity they could into it and destroyed the pacing.

they WERE right though, Christopher Lee did die soon after.

(but of course, the who episode will go back to Peter's splatter horror origins, I'm sure)

Or bring back his splatter/puppets roots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Also the Silmarillion itself is a bit of a mess which I don't think anyone who isn't incredibly tiresome wants to be made into a film.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

A Doctor Who episode in Meet the Feebles style would be awesome.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah, there IS a plot hole actually: "everyone gets it wrong with Time Lords, we take ages to die"

Except this trap was set up by Time Lords... who would know the Doctor would take ages to die and would design the Veil with that in mind. CONFIRMED CONFIRMED EPISODE SUCKS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks to BF sales I picked up Lego Dimensions and the DW pack for under $100.

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I might be remembering incorrectly, but the first time the Doctor met Ashildr, didn´t he said he was feeling deja voo? and even did a double take on her?

Also, on the first episode of the season, does Davros say that what he meant with "I remember what you did" was that the Doctor saved him? Because the Doctor was feeling very shamefull of whatever happened, and maybe Davros knows what happened too...

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Angela Christine posted:

That makes sense. There was a rack there to hold the clothes while they dried, so there could have been random clothes there the first time. They got burned up with him when he pulled the lever.

I like to imagine that Six's outfit was on the rack the first time round.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Greyhawk posted:

A Doctor Who episode in Meet the Feebles style would be awesome.

There will be an evil potato trying to take the TARDIS back, precious.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ewe2 posted:

There will be an evil potato trying to take the TARDIS back, precious.

You're thinking of Portal 2

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Pato posted:

I might be remembering incorrectly, but the first time the Doctor met Ashildr, didn´t he said he was feeling deja voo? and even did a double take on her?

Also, on the first episode of the season, does Davros say that what he meant with "I remember what you did" was that the Doctor saved him? Because the Doctor was feeling very shamefull of whatever happened, and maybe Davros knows what happened too...

Yeah it was that he saved him. He was saying that the Doctor was responsible for everything that he did.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME

2house2fly posted:

Ah, there IS a plot hole actually: "everyone gets it wrong with Time Lords, we take ages to die"

Except this trap was set up by Time Lords... who would know the Doctor would take ages to die and would design the Veil with that in mind. CONFIRMED CONFIRMED EPISODE SUCKS

Early on in the episode the Doctor points out that the prisoner is the only indispensable person in an interrogation. The Veil is designed to put the frighteners on the Doctor, and make him suffer terribly if necessary to make him talk. It's not supposed to kill him permanently, and it presumably lays off so that the he can make a copy to start the whole thing off again. The reason he has enough time is part of the process - the only way out of the puzzle is to die, which the Doctor has already confessed is something that terrifies him.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're thinking of Portal 2

Or Invasion of Time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Chimes of Midnight won BF's fan poll got best BF Who story, followed by Spare Parts and Davros, which are now permanently $2.99 for download.

I'm glad it won, it's one of my favorite Doctor Who stories, period.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jackson directing some Doctor Who is gonna be great, I wonder if Moffat will do the script or if Jackson will want a hand in that too.

Murderion posted:

Early on in the episode the Doctor points out that the prisoner is the only indispensable person in an interrogation. The Veil is designed to put the frighteners on the Doctor, and make him suffer terribly if necessary to make him talk. It's not supposed to kill him permanently, and it presumably lays off so that the he can make a copy to start the whole thing off again. The reason he has enough time is part of the process - the only way out of the puzzle is to die, which the Doctor has already confessed is something that terrifies him.

Yeah, the whole point is that the Doctor is supposed to give up when he sees the diamond wall, and if he doesn't then the Shroud gets him and leaving him dying slowly in agony in the hopes that he'll give up his secrets in an effort to save himself. I imagine they also considered that he might use the teleporter trick to reset himself, but that then he'd be face to face with the billions of years ahead of dying/resetting/dying resetting and give up then.

The whole point was for the prison to break the Doctor. Of course, the Doctor being the Doctor, he broke the prison :hellyeah:

GonSmithe posted:

Chimes of Midnight won BF's fan poll got best BF Who story, followed by Spare Parts and Davros, which are now permanently $2.99 for download.

I'm glad the correct choice one, and I can only assume when my poll results came in that everybody at Big Finish just nodded, shook hands and agreed to stop counting because the correct answer had now come in.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

GonSmithe posted:

Those are all top tier audios, and everyone should listen to them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How come you people are so convinced that Jackson's actually gonna direct an episode, and that that vid isn't just some one-time joke? Do you have any more evidence? It doesn't seem very serious so far.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Carbon dioxide posted:

How come you people are so convinced that Jackson's actually gonna direct an episode, and that that vid isn't just some one-time joke? Do you have any more evidence? It doesn't seem very serious so far.

Jackson once said that he'd direct an episode in exchange for a Dalek.

It seems he's gotten a Dalek.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I once said I would kill for a pint.
I got a pint but didn't kill anyone.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That's what a killer would say.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

After The War posted:

Or Invasion of Time.

Or The Scorchies.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Has anyone listened to the spin-off Cyberman audios? I really enjoyed the Dalek Empire stuff I've listened to, how does it stack up to that?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Those are all top tier audios, and everyone should listen to them.

Seconding this. My Big Finish listening has fallen off since my headphones broke, but all three of those are among the best, and it's great that they're discounted.

I really liked that last episode. I think it played to Moffat's writing strengths, and that Rachel Talalay directs his work very well. Murray Gold's music felt understated for him when necessary and blared into the MURRAY loving GOLD levels when it should have. I know, they telegraphed the time loop thing miles in advance, but it wasn't the twist that appealed to me as much as the bottle episode did. Peter Capaldi is only getting better at the role, and I like the idea of spending time in the Doctor's head. The BIRD fairy tale worked for me, as did the idea of the Doctor working through solutions in his TARDIS for an imaginary audience.

The only thing I'm iffy on is this whole idea of "the Hybrid." It got a little more interesting when it was the Doctor and not "half-Dalek, half-Time Lord" but it still doesn't hold the weight the writing, pacing and music want it to have for me. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised next week.

Either way, even if the last episode is a let-down, I think this season is better than 6, 7 and 8. I wouldn't be surprised if, from comments, season 10 is Moffat's last, and I think that's wise (there's only so long you can do this), but whatever objections I have to him, I have to admit he's done a pretty good job on the last two seasons, and I'm anxious as to what they're going to do in terms of a replacement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Has anyone listened to the spin-off Cyberman audios? I really enjoyed the Dalek Empire stuff I've listened to, how does it stack up to that?

If you liked the Dalek Empire stuff, you'll probably enjoy it. For reference, I think Dalek Empire was a story that droned and was far too long for what it was, so we may not agree, but the short version is that my impressions of Cyberman were that season 1 was really boring "Do androids feel? Is an android a people?" sci-fi fodder dragged out for way too long, but season 2 actually got interesting toward the end. If you like Cold War paranoia fiction, it's going to be right up your alley. It dwells on the madness of people swiftly turning on each other longer than a goddamn Twilight Zone episode, but the actors are well-equipped for it, and it flashes here and there among four different stories to try to keep your interest up.

If you liked the Dalek ones, I'd at least give season 2 a go, and to be honest, you don't really need much of season 1 to understand it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Something from Face The Raven I missed:

Me says she promised the raven a soul for chicanery which Clara hosed up. Which soul was she talking about? Her own?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

MisterBibs posted:

Something from Face The Raven I missed:

Me says she promised the raven a soul for chicanery which Clara hosed up. Which soul was she talking about? Her own?

It's pretty simple, every time she uses it the Raven gets a soul. Me can call that back as part of the bargain (since she's providing it a steady enough stream of people to murder), but if someone else takes it from the target, Me can't stop it because she's been cut out of the contract.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
Well, that is one way to break through a time lock to setup this doctor to make his appearance in the Day of the Doctor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

qntm posted:

I figure any kind of situation like that has a few rickety early iterations which don't play out in exactly the same way, until eventually everything settles down into the steady, repeating cycle.

Related

http://qntm.org/responsibility

~10 minute short story.

Which given the site name has made me wonder if you're the same.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

If you liked the Dalek Empire stuff, you'll probably enjoy it. For reference, I think Dalek Empire was a story that droned and was far too long for what it was, so we may not agree, but the short version is that my impressions of Cyberman were that season 1 was really boring "Do androids feel? Is an android a people?" sci-fi fodder dragged out for way too long, but season 2 actually got interesting toward the end. If you like Cold War paranoia fiction, it's going to be right up your alley. It dwells on the madness of people swiftly turning on each other longer than a goddamn Twilight Zone episode, but the actors are well-equipped for it, and it flashes here and there among four different stories to try to keep your interest up.

If you liked the Dalek ones, I'd at least give season 2 a go, and to be honest, you don't really need much of season 1 to understand it.

I finished Cyberman 2 a couple weeks ago and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. BF's improved skills helped a lot, as did the excellent Keepsake (included with the criminally-missed opportunity that is Kingdom of SIlver) in making me actually care about the Orion Android War stuff.

In my general tally of "BF spin-offs that explore specific genres", Cyberman is a cross between Alien-style paranoid conspiracy horror (very non-human immediate threat, but with human(ish) monsters manipulating the situation) and backroom politics/espionage thriller.

For anyone keeping track, I've also got
  • Sarah Jane Smith - investigations of human-level conspiracies with subtle sci-fi elements
  • Dalek Empire - large-scale space opera, where interstellar travel takes time, there are big time skips between series, and visibility/dialogue is no guarantee of continued survival
  • Gallifrey - space/time politics, basically Babylon 5 meets West Wing
  • UNIT - paranormal investigations
  • I, Davros - Bildungsroman with backroom politics in a dying society
And that's as far as I've gotten in the Big Listen. More to follow when I get to them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trapped in a world unlike any other he has seen, the Doctor faces the greatest challenge of his many lives.

One final test. And he must face it alone.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in Heaven Sent.

X X X X X

Cast
The Doctor - Peter Capaldi
Clara - Jenna Coleman
Veil - Jami Reid-Quarrell

Written by: Steven Moffat
Directed by: Rachel Talalay

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcO4aj_zIk

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

Heaven Sent finally gives this season of Doctor Who the classic episode it's been lacking. A hands-down smash, this story achieves its success through a very simple method – handing Peter Capaldi a great script and then getting the hell out of his way.

After the events of Face the Raven, the Doctor finds himself in an abandoned castle that changes its layout at a moment's notice. Cameras and flatscreen televisions are placed in strategic locations to allow him to see his oncoming fate – the unstoppable force known as the Veil which pursues him from one end of the castle to the other, always moving, always reaching, always hunting for him. A giant puzzle box with a foe meant to unnerve and break him? It would be Christmas for the Doctor, if not for the fact that all this has happened before, and will happen again...

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. The Girl in the Fireplace. Blink. The Eleventh Hour. Let's Kill Hitler. Last Christmas. Steven Moffat has turned out some of the best episodes of the revival...and a few that weren't. But there's no denying that when Moffat is on, he's ON. The script for Heaven Sent has all the classic Moffat trappings – a unique location, an incredibly creepy villain, and timey-wimey shenanigans. But instead of embracing grandiose concepts and jamming everything and the kitchen sink into the story, Moffat for the most part strips the story down to its barest components. There's the Doctor, there's a villain, and there's a mystery to solve. What makes this story unique is that for the first time in the show's televised history, it's JUST the Doctor in this episode, aside from the looming and mute presence of the Veil and an appearance by Clara Oswald at a crucial juncture. Now, you could have Peter Capaldi walking around for 55 minutes and there's a drat good chance it would still be amazing, and for the most part Heaven Sent IS the Doctor talking to himself as he explores the castle. But Moffat takes a page out of his Sherlock playbook for some of the more critical moments by utilizing the Doctor's ”store room.” Several times during the episode, the Doctor is placed in a situation where it appears that there's no way out. At this times, the scene suddenly switches to the TARDIS. The Doctor explains it as a very brilliant man thinking quickly in order to slow down time before going on to outline just how he's going to escape his current situation to Clara, or rather a mental construct of her. She spends the episode with her back to him, but that doesn't stop him from explaining his thought processes to both her and by proxy the audience. While it does feel like a bit of a cheat to introduce the memory palace to a character who's never been shown using it before, it makes perfect sense in the narrative context while also avoiding the “character talks to themselves about EVERYTHING” that can plague these “one-hander” type of stories. It also makes for the scene where the Doctor finally, after hitting rock bottom and realizing he only has one way out, see Clara's face, which gives him the strength to go on.

Oh, and it helps that this story has a few incredibly unnerving moments. Because Doctor Who is at its best when it's scary.

And it also helps that the Doctor figures out what exactly his captors want...and then decides to take the long way around.

It's the Doctor to a tee – figuring out what his enemies want and doing whatever it takes to not give it to them while getting what he wants.

quote:

The first rule of being interrogated is that you are the only irreplaceable person in the torture chamber. The room is yours, so work it. If they're going to threaten you with death, show them who's boss. Die faster!

Moffat, when he's on point, GETS the Doctor. The Doctor is the man who would grab at the thinnest strand of hope, or the tiniest bird of determination, in order to defeat the bad guys. The actual “plan” his captors use to break the Doctor is disturbing, crafted specifically for the Doctor with the Veil being a representation of a fear from his childhood and meant to guide him along the path they wish – for him to confess to the deepest secrets in his hearts to them. But it's funny...if you know the Doctor well enough to design the ultimate torture chamber for him, then you know the Doctor well enough to know he's going to do what he does best – find a way to win. The “twist” is one that's easy to see coming, but props to Moffat for putting all the pieces there for the big reveal to actually make sense.

The strengths of Moffat's script are enhanced by the direction of Rachel Talalay, who helmed Dark Water and Death in Heaven, and Murray Gold actually using an understated score for once. The actual “HOLY CRAP IT'S MURRAY GOLD MUSIC” moments work because they're paired with moments that actually called for emotional and impactful music. I have to admit however having a bit of a problem with the whole Hybrid nonsense, but my MUCH bigger problem is that once again Moffat is rewriting the Doctor's past. For nearly 50 years, what the Second Doctor said during The War Games has rung true – the Doctor left Gallifrey because he was bored. But now, he left Gallifrey because he was running from the concept of the Hybrid and the early prophecies of the Time War. To me, the Doctor should always have an air of mystery and an alien nature. The more Moffat defines and codifies him, the more the Doctor loses that aura. Though to be fair, the Doctor did say during The Sound of Drums by saying he looked into the Time Schism and decided to never stop running. Perhaps the Hybrid and its future is what he saw?

But for this episode, I can easily overlook those flaws because of how Peter Capaldi just absolutely nails his performance in this episode.

Flatline is still my favorite Capaldi episode, but Heaven Sent became a strong silver medalist the instance the episode ended. Watching the Doctor's confidence slowly fade away as he realizes the trap he's in doesn't involve interrogation but confession is mesmerizing. We're all used to Capaldi's Doctor always managing to pull out some kind of win...in a way, perhaps Sleep No More and Face the Raven were set-ups for this episode...and seeing the Doctor try to put the pieces together over an undetermined period of time, while fitting in eating and sleeping, is reflected in Capaldi's performance, with his sheer drive, determination, and just plain stubbornness in refusing to give in to his surroundings. It's also reflected in his use of Clara's presence in his memory palace. Clara was always the conscience for the Twelfth Doctor, the one who cares so he never had to. Without her, it would be very easy for this Doctor to become as lost as Ten did during his final days, but even after her death Clara still represents the very best in him.

Even at the very end, where the Doctor is presented with an impossible task, a task that would take millions, even billions of year, to finish, Capaldi's heartbreaking realization is mixed with grim (no pun intended with the Brothers Grimm) determination to finish the task. Even when he realizes at the very end just how many times he's been there before, and how many times he's going to be there again, and how he's going to have to spend hours dragging himself back to the teleportation chamber to do it all again...that's the Doctor. To spend billions of years not just punching his hand against a wall harder than diamond before being burned to his very soul, but to spend billions of years mourning his lost companion over and over and over again as she tells him during his moment of ultimate despair to get up and do it all again...

...is it any wonder that the Doctor, once he realizes where he is and who is behind his interrogation, is taking the long way, and all hell's coming with him?

Heaven Sent is hands-down the best episode of this season. It's got a great script, some grand direction, a few top-notch and a performance that makes me ask my wife to forgive my poor grammar and say “All the BAFTAS” to Peter Capaldi. The season finale might falter or it might soar, but that won't change the fact that Heaven Sent is the closest to “instant classic” this season has seen.

Random Thoughts
- If Peter Capaldi wants to have a telepathic union with a door, Peter Capaldi can have a telepathic union with a door.
- The Doctor knowing how to throw a punch goes back to the Third Doctor story Carnival of Monsters where he proclaims John L Sullvian taught him how to box.
- The story the Doctor is reciting while punching the wall is The Shepherd Boy by the Brothers Grimm.
- What did the Doctor really say at the end? ”The Hybrid destined to conquer Gallifrey and stand in its ruins... is me?” Or...”The Hybrid destined to conquer Gallifrey and stand in its ruins... is Me?”

Cobi's Synopsis – It's either Doctor Who meets Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Doctor Who meets Groundhog Day, but Heaven Sent is an instant classic that shows just how brilliant and determined the Doctor is thanks to a fine script by Steven Moffat and Peter's Capaldi's brilliant performance carrying the entire episode.

Next up - If you took everything from him, and betrayed him, and trapped him, and broke both his hearts... how far might the Doctor go?

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...Hell Bent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

- What did the Doctor really say at the end? ”The Hybrid destined to conquer Gallifrey and stand in its ruins... is me?” Or...”The Hybrid destined to conquer Gallifrey and stand in its ruins... is Me?”

"The Hybrid is me..... wife, River Song, by gum! But we already blew up the universe and fixed it, prophecy's over, go home everybody."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

"The Hybrid is me..... wife, River Song, by gum! But we already blew up the universe and fixed it, prophecy's over, go home everybody."

Unless the prophecy reset like the other rooms!

Or the Sisterhood of Karn just went "oh for gently caress's sake" and set up the Time Lords to kill each other so they could get some peace and quiet.

• Locked thread