Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

- Adolf "Occ" Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's only kinda casual

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rochallor posted:

I think it might have been overlooked in the new episode fervor (at least, I didn't see anything about it in the thread) but apparently the third episode of Web of Fear was found, but it was stolen before it could be returned.

Phillip "Not The Cigarette Company" Morris is not a terribly reliable source for factual information on this topic, despite being integral to whatever happened. He seems to have some kind of self-aggrandizing need to be the Most Important Who Fan and a bizarrely bi-polar relation to leaking rumors. In a few months he will be on the verge of having several more lost episodes that we will beg him for right before they vanish completely due to somebody inadvertently tweeting their interest.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Davros1 posted:

Phil Ford was running SJA. That makes more sense than a guy who's only written a few stories.

At least on SJA Lidster's stories were just dark for a kid's show and came out as solid pieces of work, instead of his normal grimdark badtimes flavor.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm seeing double! Eight Mary Tamms!

:swoon:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Burkion posted:

I always took that to mean that the Doctor was talking utter bullshit when he said he could speak something stupid like baby or dinosaur (or horse)

Because as nice as horses and babies are, they do not have the cognitive faculties to have language. At least not like we do.

:hfive: I have the same theory. Plus that the Doctor might be trolling the lesser minds around him just a bit for funsies.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

TL posted:

I went to Way Station in Brooklyn tonight. This happened. It was awesome.

Damnit. I was just in Brooklyn a couple of weekends ago. I should plan my trips better. At least I made it to the Superhero Supply Co.

"PULL TO OPEN" [Push]

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How is this cannon powered?

There is no agreed upon Dr. Who cannon. :colbert:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Yes, you are technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Kilo147 posted:

Add it. There's no such thing as too much John Barrowman.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry, but TORCHWOOD.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Kilo147 posted:

Hah! I never watched it, so I guess that makes me the victor?

I envy you in ways that are hard to articulate. Although to be fair the 5-episode Children of Earth mini-season was decent and has both Capaldi and a rare live-action Nick Briggs in it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Forktoss posted:

Maybe she used it on a mysterious fossilised corpse with a strange star-shaped badge she found in an ancient crater.

If you aren't talking about Sarah Jane Smith cosplaying as a math whiz I don't want to hear about it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Astroman posted:

A few years ago I had a mental wishlist of stuff that I'd love to see from BF, and while the list is constantly updated, they've delivered on almost all of it--4th Doctor, a great Anniversary, bringing back The Valeyard, full cast adventures in the first 3 Doctors' eras, and now New Series Adventures with Captain Jack, River, and 10. Pretty much the only things I can think of would be getting David Bradley and Sean Pertwee to do 1 and 3. At this point, I'd literally say anything is possible for BF.

More of Frazer Hines doing 2 also plz.

The 13 Doctors will be amazing.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Picklepuss posted:

I have never understand why she's so beloved by the fans. Don't get me wrong, I liked Sarah Jane but I don't get it. Why her? :confused:

She was a professional woman who had and occasionally got to use her skillset proactively instead of only being a damsel-in-distress. She was kidnapped as much as any other companion of course, but she still had an air of competence and self-direction even when terrified.

I am delighted by pretty much all of the side-humans of Who (Dodo and latter-day Adric excepted), but she is a high point of the Classic series for more than just being there when Tom Baker was. Also she is a top-tier cutie who I want to hug forever.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but that's a little different than having a hidden power or something else. Clara is shown to explicitly give the young Doctor advice that sets him on the path to become who he was to become. The earlier stuff with her in in earlier episodes was explained by insane bravery by leaping into the Doctor's time stream was fine. Plus we got to see 80s versions of Clara.

We don't know how much of that was original flavor plot or just an open-time-loop's worth of repairing the damage done by the Great Intelligence. The Doctor probably didn't need Clara's help until Bad Guy Time Shenanigans happened and Clara had to become super-special timepal.

Or so I choose to believe. Clara's been great, but occasionally Moffat's cute script tricks need a bit of headiting.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Trin Tragula posted:

You Johnny Foreigner types probably all think we're joking, but we're not. Of course, it really hasn't been the same since they ditched the old balloon idents.

Magnificent.

Thought it just did this for 12 hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6fjNRuqWM

Something about license fees I expect.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rhyno posted:

Maybe when he starts to look old in 20 or 30 years he can be a "new" incarnation!

In years to come we might find him revisiting a few... but just the old favorites, ay?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rhyno posted:

Now I want an E-Space audio where the passengers on the Starliner lament about how loving fantastic things have been since Adric went and hosed off.

Five seemed all right about it:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cleretic posted:

I had an idea like this ages ago, of a villain who was just a normal modern-age guy but made himself a strong and credible Doctor-level threat by just salvaging enough Dalek/Cybermen/Sontaran/whatever tech and using it himself. He'd disappear somehow at the end of the episode, only to come back in an entirely different place and time, because he knows exactly what the best piece of alien tech that ever hit Earth was, and stows away on it until they take him somewhere good.

Sooooo, the billionaire/collector/jerk Henry van Statten from "Dalek" but also he survives? They never really did wrap up with whatever his secretary does with all that alien tech after she wipes van Statten's mind and takes over. Once Eccles and Rose leave with Adam-The-Two-Ep-Companion it's not really an overly important issue for Earth's development I guess.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Dabir posted:

She filled the base with cement.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I re-experienced 9's season. And cemented-over plot-storage certainly beats a privatized Torchwood.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I guess some people just need their Adrics and Turloughs. [pictures of Turlough in his tiny bathing suit and Adric eating snacks]

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Cleretic posted:

I was picturing something like Statten in stature, but Grayle in personal strengths. In my mind this theoretical character's a lot smarter and a lot more willing to use their tools than Statten; I'm picturing them in Cyberman-based armor with Dalek weaponry, maybe wired up to some greater system they took from a spaceship. The idea itself came from trying to think of the few times when the antagonist of a story was straight-up just a non-puppeted, in-control human, so I'd see them as being on top of the tech. No accidentally triggering dangerous subsystems, getting consumed by the tech or losing control of some part of things, this one's a threat entirely by their own intentions. Perhaps not a match for the Doctor in intellect, but they know what they're doing, what they shouldn't, and what they want.

Lex Luthor without the monologuing. Got it. Actually, that's kind of what I wish from a hypothetical TV return for the Rani, humanity notwithstanding. She was evil, but pretty much focused on her monstrous science crap and moderate planetary domination and not so much self-destructively obsessed with messing with the Doctor's head and constantly threatening to destroy the universe like the Master. She just wanted to kill a bunch of people because that's just how you Science. Not that I'd want to take any attention away from Michelle Gomez; there might not be enough room left in the universe for another evil time lady with a semi-grudge against the Doctor.

I don't know if the Big Finish Rani is any good, but I should look into it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Jerusalem posted:

Miss GIllyflower again! The intention at first is to make you think she's been controlled by the parasite, but it turns out that is just some freaky primitive bug thing she carries around with her, and Gillyflower herself is the power, the brains and the will behind everything.

I really dig Miss Gillyflower :allears:

Diana Rigg owns.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So, what the Hell was that Time Tot (Timepole?) doing in the middle of the desert? Do the Time Lords just have child sentries stationed across the planet in case the Doctor makes a dramatic entrance?

He was just a short hike outside of that bubbletown after all. And we only see that far in a couple directions, so could be the kid was just out on a walk looking for some succulent timeagave to make into timetequila or timepotatoes to make timevodka (I assume the boy is Tom Baker). Also if that kid was going to be a Time Lord he may have been instinctively drawn to places of meaningful historical value or some other such silliness.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
More notes on that list: Both City of Death (T.Bakes/Romana II) and Pirate Planet (T.Bakes/Romana I/K-9) are specifically Douglas Adams penned during his showrunner span and have really fun dialogue. The Horror of Fang Rock is a high mark for base-under-siege horror and has Leela being pretty awesome at Tom. The Green Death is full-on Pertwee and has both the Brigadier in his prime and Jo's swansong. And The Mind Robber is an alternately brilliantly and stupidly weird Troughton adventure with Jamie and Zoe both being adorable.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

echoplex posted:

In case anyone is vaguely interested, I've put up a selection of work from S9 here.

Excited for Christmas purely because of how brilliant Greg Davies is.

Miss the chaos already :(

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate the BLK-MESA button (and everything else, of course).

Also Greg Davies is going to own. It's like Rik Mayall is back...

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Angela Christine posted:

It's all unnecessary. There is nothing necessary about Doctor Who.

[X] Mad man
[ ] Box
[ ] Pretty companion(s)
[ ] Science fantasy menace
[ ] Quarry
[X] Nerdrage

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rochallor posted:

I honestly have no idea how you can be looking forward this much to Nicholas Briggs + Time War. I mean, John Hurt's great and all, but there's only so much he can do to overcome that.

Audio is one of the best possible mediums to actually present something as possibly weird as the Time War. It could be not worth the effort, but there's a lot of potential for greatness there yet.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't worry, they're way ahead of you :v:

The season on DAVE or whatever (X?) is pretty dang solid, despite general oldness/flabbity. No Kochanski, original style Holly, no smegs given about continuity...

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh, X didn't have Holly (Norman Lovett's also gone on record saying he probably wouldn't do Red Dwarf again because the producers shafted him a few times when he offered to work on the new series). It was actually pretty solid too, save for some of the episode-long running jokes not being that great.

My apologies to the thread. I remembered being surprised that it was good back when I watched it and must have aneurysmed him back into the show. RIP in Peace, Hollies.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Happy Feast of Stephen Eve Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox8QYFvltIw
edit: Hartnell original style w/ recon animation link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvqeixdSSP0

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 25, 2015

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Dabir posted:

Hey hey here's a cracker of a joke!
Q: Why was River Song really arrested?

A: For smuggling!

"Knock, knock."
"Who's there?"

1: Of course I am, hmph. Now, open this door I say! Young Chatterton seems to have wedged himself into a- now what is that thing? I shall have to take a sample. Never mind the doors and do fetch me a trowel and bucket, there's a good entity. Hmmm.

2: I say, how did you know? It's quite nice to be recognized. Any case, don't panic. I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent and safe explanation for why I'm at your door. Quickly now. They're probably not right at our heels or anything... like... that. Oh, hello. Can you help us with this door? No? Very well. Must be off. Jamie, Zoe, sprightly now.

3: I think you'll find that command of this door has been recently re-assigned to me. Never mind reading the entire document, I assure you everything is in order. If you value your career and the lives of every man on this base you must do as I say! And have someone wash my car.

4: What a fascinatingly primitive structure this is. You know, I was there when doors were invented. It's a particularly interesting tale since it was right before they realized that locks would also be useful. Speaking of locks, someone seems to have picked yours while we were talking just now. You should probably have that looked at. Anyway, hello. I'm the Doctor. Don't mind me, I'm off to find you a qualified doorsmith.

5: Well done! I wasn't sure if you'd remember me since it's been a few hundred years since I last saved your society, but I suppose android memory banks aren't as corruptible as they thought. Do please let us in before the sigma-radiation and lack of air becomes a problem. Also you're all in danger.

6: How did a lesser intellect like you figure that out? Was it the 7, no 8, armed security drones pointed at my head? Do be sure to send me the recording, I'm looking especially fabulous today. Now LET ME IN.

7: Yes, I am. Arrrn't I. But on which side of wwhich door have I knocked? Are you quite sure? Look again.

8: Am I? Doesn't sound like me. I don't knock much, as a rule. I'll come round again when I'm more myself. Oh dear, I seem to have let my "self" in. Now you can go outside, you knock and I'll guess.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

EricFate posted:

It's not like they're FORCING him to use his beard, he's just doing it out of convenience.

Have an educational image, thread.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

After The War posted:

I'd pay to hear those two read from the phone book.

Agreed.

Unrelated:

The internet is a strange, strange place.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Box of Bunnies posted:

You mean wonderful place. The internet is a wonderful, wonderful place.

Perhaps, but someone has bought every original painting from that set except for Shia as 8. What the hell, internet. That Shia fits perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Tim Burns Effect posted:

is it just me or does Shia-as-4th look like Norm McDonald?

Shia LaHartnell looks like Kevin Spacey to me.

• Locked thread