Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RunAndGun posted:

Ogrons anyone?

THE SLYTHER! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought last season was really drat good (outside of one pretty bad episode and one really quite awful one), and a big step up from the fractured feel that season 7 (season 6 was worse in that regard but including some astonishingly good episodes to make up for it).

This is Moffat's 5th season and I'm still happy with the overall quality of his work, I might be eager for a replacement if I felt there was somebody waiting in the wings who could clearly do as good if not a better job than him. The closest person is Mark Gatiss, and I think he'd probably be likely to just produce a Moffat-style production anyway given their close ties and co-showrunner status on Sherlock.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chibnall's track record indicates season one of Broadchurch was a (wonderful) aberration, I'd be pretty worried if he became showrunner, ESPECIALLY based on his actual Doctor Who output.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Idris Elba. And don't give me that "he's too urban" bullshit. He'd be an excellent showrunner.

He's gonna be too busy being the new James Bond :c00l:

:vince:

I always hoped they'd get Tennant to do Big Finish Doctor Who stories, but never in my wildest dreams did I think they'd get the best revival Who companion back on board as well. loving awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TL posted:

They didn't announce Rory is coming back.

When they do, I promise to be excited about the second best revival Who companion coming back :)

In all seriousness, Rory was part of the best trio - it's like comparing the Troughton/Jamie/Zoe trio to Sarah-Jane. One may have been the best single companion, but the other was in the best group dynamic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eventually I want Jamie to have been a companion for every Doctor.

That means we need to legitimately invent time travel so he can do a show with Hartnell too, and we'll get him to pick up the missing episodes while he's back there. Win-win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In a perfect world, Revenge of the Cybermen's place would have been taken by Terror of the Zygons and given us a near-perfect season. But then this season wouldn't have as strong a start as it did, which would be a shame, it's just that Revenge of the Cybermen is such a let-down :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

You can sometimes find codes online that'll allow you to set your DVD player to Region 0.

Yeah, I have never owned a DVD player that wasn't multi-region, because as soon as I bought them I'd just do a google search for,"<DVD model> region code" and 15 seconds later it magically wasn't restricted by some purely artificial region lock bullshit anymore. gently caress region locks on anything :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It does have the single most over-the-top reaction to being exterminated in the entire history of the show.

This bit?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

That's fantastic in itself, but it was when he reveals his plan for fixing the galactic economy that I realized how interesting Davros was as a character and how wonderful Terry Malloy is.

And no, the plan does not involve Daleks.

Yeah that's great, because you realize he actually thinks he is being helpful and he can't see the moral horror of what he is doing. It's what I based that silly little "Davros gets the dishes done" bit on in a previous thread :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I thought that the Time Lords helping out the Doctor and giving him a new series of regenerations was explicitly undoing his death at Trenzalore.

That's exactly what it is. Originally the Doctor was supposed to just grow old and eventually die on Trenzalore, no regenerations left and no way out without abandoning the town to destruction. He dies, the TARDIS is left as a monument to him, and over thousands of years it grows huge due to the dimensional buffers breaking down. But in Time, after 11 goes off to face the Daleks one last time, Clara gives the Time Lords a bollocking and they actually step in and reset the clock, so to speak, giving him a whole new set of lives (or maybe no-limits regenerations, or maybe only 4, nobody knows!) and allowing him to escape that fate. Hence we get 12, who was never supposed to exist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wait, what. The internet (tardis wiki) says that the Doctor's buddy in the medieval castle was only turned into a Dalek eyestalk puppet by one of the snakes during the tank scene while the doctor was being distracted by the rest of the colony. I didn't catch that at all, I thought the dude was an eyestalk guy to begin with.

That dude is getting throttled or bitten by a snake in that scene when the Doctor thinks he swallowed a marble. I guess he could have been "infected" at that point, I just assumed that he'd been a Dalek-plant all along but then I guess that wouldn't make sense as to why Colony was slithering around the galaxy trying to find him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Huge shock guys, turns out the Master didn't die!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahahahaha, oh Doctor :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God that is horrifying :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"The only other chair on Skaro."

Edit: That exchange between Davros and the Doctor was just wonderful.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 26, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God this Dalek stuff is fantastic (and horrifying) too.

Edit: uhhh Doctor maybe not give that secret away..... the whole Time War thing, remember?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 26, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros :neckbeard:

Wait... I mean...... :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Oh there's a surprise!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now that we've seen both episodes, I'm not quite sure how well they hold up as a complete story, both felt very distinct from each other despite being one story. That said, I thought the second was stronger than the first, mostly because it included a number of excellent one-on-one scenes either between the Doctor and Davros or the Master and Clara.

The stuff where we see how a Dalek's speech is interpreted was really fantastic too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

So... the Daleks can fly and are driving tanks. Why exactly is squishy organic things oozing up from the sewers even remotely a problem?

They could ooze into the cracks and spaces in the Dalek casing and not be prevented by the interior defense system because it wouldn't recognize it as foreign matter, just "more" Dalek.

So you've got homicidal Dalek goop inside choking the Dalek mutant to death because it's insane with rage and pain and furious at having been rejected/left to ooze eternal in a sewer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really dislike the whole,"There is a prophecy of a hybrid!" stuff though, would have far preferred Davros just trying to pull a fast one to keep himself alive and enjoying the irony of using the Doctor to do so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I thought that was really terrible, doubly so because the whole "dalek speech is artificially stilted by the speechy thing" was completely contradicted by the first scene where Clara talking in her normal idiom came out Dalekfied for cheap laughs.

I mean, seriously, the Daleks are genetically engineered hate blobs they don't need to ALSO have a forum word filter put on them.

I didn't take it so much as a filter as that when they were created there wasn't even a consideration that they would think or say anything different (and they wouldn't), but put a human in there with a different mind and concept of identity and the system gets the telepathic thoughts and translates them in the only way that it can actually understand. When Clara is shouting her name, she is thinking,"This is who I am!" and the system interprets that in the only way it can - "I am a Dalek!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The "mercy" scene also reminded me of the dalek begging River Song for mercy, which is not a good thing.

That was a terrible scene, agreed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

This really bugged me as well. Giving their name came out as I AM A DALEK. Except they all have names, and can say them, so how does that work, exactly.

There have only ever been 4 Daleks with names in the history of the show, and they were specifically pointed out as being distinctly different from all other Daleks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Loved her final scene too - "I just thought of something clever!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Alpha, Beta, Omega... and what'd Troughton name the fourth? :v:

The Doctor named them, like Rusty in Into the Dalek - the Cult of Skaro named themselves. :colbert:

But true, I did forget all about Evil of the Daleks....

....because it's one of the missing stories :qq:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also before he began the whole act, there's a scene of him telling Colony Sarff to sneak into the cables and "be subtle", followed by lengthy sequences of Davros trying to convince the Doctor to start handling the cables (including a shot of Sarff as a cable basically going :getin:), so it's not like it wasn't telegraphed from the get-go that Davros was up to something. He just adjusted his pitch each time the Doctor rejected it - "touch the cables to kill all the Daleks! ....no? You choose compassion every time? Oh oh suddenly I'm sad and pathetic and just want some compassion, oh if only there was some way maybe involving touching those cables that could allow me one brief moment of happiness!"

Of course the whole time the Doctor was being compassionate he'd allowed for the extremely likely notion that Davros intended to screw him over, the difference being that I think his compassion was genuine and he was hoping (but not expecting) that Davros was being genuine too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Witch's Familiar gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the characterization between the Master and Clara could of been a bit better. The Master killed the man she loved and she doesn't even really take a shot the Master. Too much pacifism BS for me. I think the companion would be COMPLETELY justified in killing the Master or at least making an attempt.

I would have preferred if they had played up the idea that Clara was enjoying herself in spite of her (completely justified) reservations, since the Master was basically playing the part of the Doctor, albeit from a far darker perspective, and she couldn't help but enjoy the adrenaline and being challenged intellectually.

As it was, the way she just seems to casually enjoy hanging out with the Master rubbed me the wrong way, and the closest they got to her expressing the way she probably should have been feeling was when she threatened her with a stick and got it taken away from her. It is a shame, because they had really good chemistry and I would have liked to have seen her getting a bit freaked out by that, struggling with the fact that she was enjoying herself in spite of knowing the Master can't be trusted (as the Master kept proving!) and that she's a monster, responsible for the deaths of a huge number of people including Danny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well Manicured Man posted:

Is it really fair to Davros to compare him to Richard Nixon?

Only Davros could go to Gallifrey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

You will of course note that the video screen there has a subtle overlay of a regeneration effect over it, because we care about the details.

Forgive me if I missed any explanation you gave earlier, but how involved in the production were (are?) you? Just producing stuff (I assume props?) for particular episodes or working on the season as a whole? Exactly how much time and effort goes into things that might flash by on the screen in a single moment (or be cut entirely, as happened with your flags)? Were you operating under a single production crew or just shifting about here and there as individual episodes/filming blocks etc might have demanded?

Basically, I'd like to hear cool stories :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No wonder he doesn't feel the need to wave that screwdriver around anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I think it might have been overlooked in the new episode fervor (at least, I didn't see anything about it in the thread) but apparently the third episode of Web of Fear was found, but it was stolen before it could be returned.

Who the gently caress is a Doctor Who fan AND a private collector? :stare:

Share that poo poo with the world, you Mugabe-wannabe monster :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

Davros, the genius, set a trap that completely and immediately foiled itself with no outside interference. He produced yet another race of hybrid Daleks and they all died eating their own poo poo. What the gently caress.

Davros has a long history of not taking into account these kind of factors - when he initially created the Daleks to hate everything that wasn't explicitly themselves he never even considered that they would consider HIM not the same level of racial purity. Similarly, he never considered that the detritus that inevitably resulted from his genetically "immortal" creations might gain the same benefits as the rest of the Daleks when he tried to lend them the same ability to regenerate as the Doctor (ironically, probably with the ultimate mindset of preventing them from deteriorating into that same detritus in the first place - immortal Daleks that just reset their genetics whenever they get too old/rundown are a pretty terrifying concept).

It's in keeping with his character, and one of the ways he bears similarities to the Master - he discounts/disregards or callously dismisses the little things as unimportant, and they usually end up coming back to bite him on the rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seeds of Doom is also good (but not as good as Seeds of Death!) so really you can't go wrong with any of those choices.... so watch Seeds of Death!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think so, he's smart enough to be genuine in service of a lie. It works both ways too, I think the Doctor was being genuine in a lot of what he said even though he figured there was probably a 99% chance Davros was going to try and pull a fast one.

That makes the scenes between them a lot stronger for me, because I thought a lot of what both characters was saying was heartfelt, even if they were both trying to outplay each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

people are talking about different elements of the most recent episodes they liked or disliked. it's sort of the point of the thread. you can participate or ignore it. :shrug:

Yeah, very few people come in making blanket statements about the quality of the episode - most people say"I liked this part, didn't like this part, LOATHED this part, LOVED this part" etc, and as a whole some liked the episode more than they disliked it, and others disliked it more than they liked it. That's good, because it generally kicks off good discussion about the merits or otherwise of the episode, of particular scenes, of what they might mean etc. It's very difficult to have any kind of meaningful discussion if somebody just says,"I loved it, it was perfect!" or,"I hated it, it was literally poo poo smeared on paper".

I know I say it a lot, but I'm still amused whenever somebody complains about the thread having any kind of "hivemind/consensus", and I really dig that our Doctor Who threads generally include a lot of reasoned discussion of the show regardless of whether we overall liked or disliked any particular episode. I dug this episode, but it had a number of problems, and even some of the good stuff was problematic (The Master and Clara had great chemistry, but Clara took far too eagerly to the role of the Master's companion), and as the second part of a 2-parter it did have that unusual element of feeling mostly disconnected from the first part.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Timby posted:

Edit: I think Joe Lidster, who was running The Sarah Jane Adventures at the time, was next in line in the event that Moffat declined.

Jesus Christ :gonk:

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, RTD really dug Lidster's work, didn't he? I guess the big difference is that apparently RTD does think the world is kinda cruel and unfair but produced Who to show somebody rising up above that and setting things to rights, while Lidster seems to enjoy wallowing in,"AND THEN EVERYBODY GOT MURDERED AND NOBODY COULD DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT AHAHAHAHA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Of course it entirely remains to be seen what actually happens this season, but I remember in season 7 people being utterly convinced (and furious) that Moffat was going to come up with a name for the Doctor to arrogantly stamp himself all over the show's history.... and then they get to the last couple of stories and first the Doctor and later Clara make the point of,"His name is the Doctor, his "real" name is irrelevant", which to my mind was just perfect.

I imagine that this little comment about THE PROPHECY (which I'm already pre-judging and hating as a thing) will end up being a similar red herring, in that it'll refer to somebody/something else and when pushed again as to why he left Gallifrey, the Doctor will again reply that the reason he left doesn't particularly matter, it's what he's done since then that does.

Or maybe I'll be completely wrong and a cackling Moffat will tear off his mask to reveal Andrew Cartmel, and doom will LOOM over us all.

• Locked thread