Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CaptainYesterday posted:

This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people possibly like Minuet in Hell, but I doubt it).

Oh, you fool. You poor, deluded fool.

Doctor Who : The DiscContinuity Guide posted:

Oh, what fun! McGann's first Big Finish season closes on a big (and long!) story with a great script and the Brigadier on top form. Despite an American and a Canadian in the cast some dodgy accents feature, but with an imaginative setting and some stand-out scenes (Marchosias using Becky-Lee's powers to kill Pargeter, Crane 'testing' the Doctor's memories, the Brigadier's 'collapse'), 'Minuet' is hellishly good. If the 'join' sometimes shows between the story's two authors, it doesn't really matter. It's a shame the (real) Doctor isn't in it more, but it would be a treat to hear Gideon again.

Eddy Wolverson posted:

“Minuet in Hell” is an epic end to McGann’s first season. ... The supporting characters, Pickering and Becky Lee are both excellent, though I’m sure American fans won’t appreciate the over the top accents! Some of the scenes, in particular those featuring both Becky Lee and Charley in the Hellfire club are quite sexual for Doctor Who, though Lear and Russell don’t go as far as John Peel does, for example, in his “Timewyrm: Genesys” novel. Anyhow, I’m certainly not complaining - I think it works very well in the context of the story, but I can see that Big Finish might rub some more traditional fans the wrong way with this kind of thing ... The high point of the season – very nearly first class, but it still feels like there is a little way to go before Big Finish strike gold with their eighth Doctor and Charley combination.

Richard Radcliffe posted:

Paul McGann's last Audio Adventure (until Jan 2002) is the most Thriller like story Big Finish have produced so far. At 130 minutes it also is one of the longest (I think only Holy Terror comes close). But do the Episodes drag? Not at all - there is enough story here for a story twice that length. ... The setting of the story also provides much. The new state of Malebolgia comes across as a warped, slightly futuristic vision of Southern USA. With its over the top, extreme Senator and Evangelist, this is definitely an America of Fiction - at least I hope it is! There is also a fair helping of Buffy the Vampire Slayer thrown in for good measure in the form of Becky Lee - Charleys mate throughout. The demons that appear are also Buffy territory - some wonderful lines uttered here by the main Demon. So much then to digest. So much to take on board for the listener. ... Yet it all comes together very well. It is unlike any Doctor Who story that I can think of. ... Definitely one of the best, and full of wonders for all. 9/10

Simon Catlow posted:

'You're going to cut up my brain - that's not really for my own good, is it?'

Alan W. Lear and Gary Russell's 'Minuet In Hell' marks a significant event in the world of the Big Finish audios for it is the final story of the McGann 'season' 27, and as such it is fitting that this season concludes with a bang. ... The plot of Minuet In Hell is probably one of the most complex ones that Big Finish have attempted, and with a running time of just under two and a half hours (don't let the cover's approximate running time of 130 minutes fool you) it is certainly one of the longest that they've done. In this case the extremely long length of the story is not a problem as the story is so well told and acted that the fact that it lasts so long doesn't matter as it draws the listener so completely into the story that the length doesn't detract from the quality of the story. ... Minuet In Hell is an epic production, which is without doubt one of the best that Big Finish have produced. The quality of the script here is excellent with many of the lines being very memorable and this contributes to the overall excellence that is exhibited here. As the final story in the first season of Paul McGann audios, Minuet In Hell finishes the season on a high note. Out of the four audios in the McGann season, Minuet In Hell is in my opinion the best one.

Every opinion, no matter how incomprehensible, is held by someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The DiscContinuity Guide is its own brand of crazy, related only by title to that accursed tome.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FreezingInferno posted:

You know, of all the bad Doctor Who I have experienced... when I first was going through the McGann audios, I skipped over Minuet In Hell because I had heard such bad things about it.

I think I've seen and heard enough terrible Doctor Who to handle Malebogia and pretty little satin bottoms now.

I don't think Minuet sends anyone here into a rage, it's just miraculously bad. There are plenty of others to do that (Nekromanteia, or in my case, The Rapture), but Minuet is the quintessential Plan 9 story - there were so many setbacks and misfortunes in production that they were solely focused on getting it done at all rather than how much of a mess it was turning out to be.

Rochallor posted:

Delta and the Bannermen is a mostly funny, mostly good serial.

Yesssss, let it all out. Soon we will have new stories to argue over...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Toxxupation posted:

Doctor Who loving sucks!

Jerusalem posted:

Ahem, I think you will find that actually, Doctor Who rules.

Kids, kids! You're both right!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

Talk about a missed opportunity to get Craig Ferguson onto the show at last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkBIqTmIzRI

It's going to take a long, long time to make up for literal decades of "[something] of [the monsters/setting/death]"

TWAAANG!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

thrawn527 posted:

- I don't believe for one second Clara and Missy are dead, so that fell really flat to me.

Until next week, I am going to believe they're dead, the TARDIS is destroyed, and from now on the show will be about the Doctor and Davros having adventures in The Chase time machine with Bad Math Dalek. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep. You can hear him practicing it at 1:05 in this video

I'm just glad he's continuing the tradition of budget Japanese guitars, like the Squier Strat he had in Delta and the Bannermen. Those didn't exist until the 80s, so obviously he must have already had it in the TARDIS.

Sylvester + Fender Japan! :swoon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hartnell Daleks and Hartnell pants! :circlefap:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sad King Billy posted:

When I saw Snake Man, I was reminded of The Mara.

Don't worry, CGI 90s snake... I still remember you!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Mark Gatiss, Toby Whithouse, Chris Chibnall, Nicholas Briggs...there a lot of options out there when Moffat steps down.

While Nick Briggs is obviously never going to be considered for television anyway, I don't think he'd want the job. He's never had to deal nationwide ratings, a food chain of producers and executives, and so on (not to mention all the additional hassles that result from combining the head writer and producer roles, such as shooting budgets, set requirements, rubber spiders, etc.) I love to call him "the luckiest fan of all time" because, unlike other lifers-in-charge (RTD, GMS and JNT), he's completely build his own little niche with fewer people to please. He doesn't need to worry about future career in television, let alone burnout.

Now, getting a few episodes written by him would be a different story, although something like Creatures of Beauty would probably melt a lot of viewers' brains. :getin:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I just want the drat Dr to get in his TARDIS and go back in time X billion years when Skaro was just forming and shove the loving thing in the local star and be done with these loving Daleks already. Come up with new stories please.

Did one better - said "Ol' Mr. Davros, whatever you do, don't throw me in that briar patch activate that super weapon!" and Davros blew up Skaro for him.

You see how long that lasted.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And when the time comes, all the CDs and download links for Ten/Donna stories will be swapped for/redirect to Six/Evelyn. :unsmigghh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Didn't seem rude at all. No need to apologize!

She also pointed out to me this morning that the DVD of The Two Doctors is out-of-print and going for nearly $200 bucks now thanks to Jimmy Savile...hopefully it'll be re-released by the time I make it that far in my classics watch.

"Thankfully" most of them only seem to be moving around $70-$100 on eBay. But of all the episodes...

I'm going to choose to believe this is because everyone really wants to see the Robert Holmes documentary extra feature.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that not on "Horror of Fang Rock"? (Might be thinking of a different writer.)

It was the reason I got Two Doctors in the first place! :eng101:

The Fang Rock DVD has a thing about Paddy Russell, at least in the US. Considering it's a Terrance Dicks story, it would be a little strange to have a Bob Holmes documentary on there. Would make more sense to do one on Robin Bland.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Ebay had them for $200 this morning when I checked…

And Time-Flight was going for $50 bucks on Amazon.

TIME-FLIGHT!

With eBay, click "sold" if you want to see what things are moving for, instead of what people think their junk is worth.

As for Time-Flight, well, the more shocking thing is:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've said it before, but all the ...of the Daleks mentioned above make pretty good summaries of their eras - dark material with a light, silly presentation in Destiny, the paranoia and brutality of Resurrection, the body horror (and almost surreal goofiness) of Revelation, and the introduction of the chessmaster Doctor (along with the destructive nature of conflict itself) in Remembrance.

With all the changes, though, Davros is never consistently written (the "and the universe will be MINE!" of Destiny being the worst) so the important one to see is Genesis. If you want a great story that examines the nature of Davros' morality and worldview, his self-titled audio from Big Finish is a $3 download. That side of the character is present in the I, Davros miniseries, which is better than it had any right to be, but not in The Juggernauts. The less said about Terror Firma the better.

Unlike the Master, all the great Davros moments really come down to him and the Doctor talking. I'd actually stand by the "greatest nemesis" line on that alone: Davros really is doing what he feels is right for everyone, but coming from a twisted moral center based on seeing his society crumble and people die out

For reals, get Davros.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

This. Well worth it for the opening monologue alone.

That's fantastic in itself, but it was when he reveals his plan for fixing the galactic economy that I realized how interesting Davros was as a character and how wonderful Terry Malloy is.

And no, the plan does not involve Daleks.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
With the exception of the the Battles of Yavin (in which they were nearly totally wiped out) and Endor (ugh), the Rebels lose every conflict with the Empire and sustain massive casualties. The protags just have plot armor, or a very forgiving GM.
:goonsay:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chairman Mao posted:

You have to know by now that, given the opportunity to write interesting, strange, and inventive fiction Nick Briggs would choose instead to remake a classic series Dalek serial, right down to the pacing and dialogue.

One of the lovely 80s ones too.

I had just finished Patient Zero, which I thoroughly enjoyed. You're not giving me hope for Blue Forgotten Planet.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Megaspel posted:

Everything after the double-cross was terrible imo. It just turned from a unique story where the big bad isn't 100% evil, and actually humanized and made interesting, casting doubts on whether the Doctor is justified in vilifying and "other"ing an entire race because their goals conflict with his. Then they have to go and ruin it all with a gotcha and return to the status quo, even the tiniest glimmer of mercy was a gift from jesus the doctor, the perfect being who is always morally right and will always fight the same bad guys forever.

So you just finished The Harvest, but what did you think of this week's?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Moving away from episode chat for a second...they're starting to reveal the guest list for (Re)Generation Who in Baltimore in March for any Mid-Atlantic fans.

Well I've got to get my ring modulator fixed now, there's now way I'm having Nick Briggs sign a broken one!

Illuen posted:

Didn't realize they had gotten Davison confirmed for this year. It really was an amazing con, and everyone was pretty awesome. Staff was a little flustered throughout, I think they had lots of behind the scenes issues, but they were still really professional and helpful to the con goers.
Yes, yes they did. I know a lot of the local people involved (but not the head honchos) and hopefully they'll be given a little more to work with this time.

EDIT - I should point out that Maera Sior was the one with the chutzpah to say "c'mon, let's go talk to Sylvester!"

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 29, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

echoplex posted:

I'm not a DW fan

echoplex posted:

The irony about doing a show about time travel is that it takes... a lot of time that you don't have.

Nice try, but I'd recognize a Caves of Androzani quote variation anywhere!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of Daleks talking, I think it's in The Dalek Invasion of Earth where the Doctor mocks the Dalek when it claims the Daleks are the masters of the Earth. It orders them hauled off, then kind of starts muttering (and ramping itself up) as it insists over and over again,"We are the masters of Earth. WE are the Masters of Earth. We ARE the Masters of Earth!"

It's also a great moment in starting Hartnell's anti-authoritarianism era. It's not about everyone the Daleks have crushed to get there, the very conceit of control is inherently hilarious.

:chord: "Masters of Earth? It's pointless, you can't be the masters of matter, motherfuckers."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gaz-L posted:

Dicks would probably disagree with you about Five Doctors, considering he HATED that he was forced to make the Cybermen the main classic baddie in it, and how much on-the-fly rewriting he had to do to accommodate who was and was not available for shooting.

The whole framing narrative for Five Doctors is dumb as hell. "Only the Lord President has access to the Time Scoop. We have no idea who could have used it!" And Dicks shares Moffat's habit of introducing a threat/obstacle and resolving it instantly.*

But Fang Rock is a classic and State of Decay is a goddamn treasure, so that forgives a lot.

*Even though the solution is never explained, the Pi chessboard (?!) sequence actually plays well simply for giving Ainley a chance to do the classic Master betrayal.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gaz-L posted:

The Pi puzzle is mostly annoying because there's a fairly easy, if rote, answer you could use. Each row, the correct tile is the corresponding significant digit of pi. Which I think Ainley tried to do, given how he bounds across the board. But then the Doctor just strolls across the middle.

But then you'd have to have ten nine squares on each side instead of eight and you'd have to designate which side to start from and it's a number that everyone knows stretches towards infinity and :psyboom:

After The War fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 30, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
We don't actually know that every other poster in the thread ISN'T an exiled dictator or aristocrat who wears a creepy mask to hide their horrible, scarred visage. :tinfoil:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Ahem. You've MET me!

I might have... or I might have met one of the real CobiWann's android duplicates! It would explain how you can get those reviews up so fast!

I really love Robert Holmes stories, repetition and all.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tempo 119 posted:

IMO one good episode on its own makes a better year than one good episode that's buried in garbage

Series 7 had a fair number of episodes that are well-regarded: Town Called Mercy, Cold War, Crimson Horror, Rings of Akhaten (which I don't get, myself, although I thought Hide was decent, if rushed), so... :shrug:

If you're looking for consistency, you might want to know a thing or two about Doctor Who...

EDIT - Or consensus, of course.

After The War fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 1, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The God Complex is great, as are all stories featuring Lord Nimon. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The only thing wrong with that episode was that it took us so long to make Sealab jokes. :colbert:

EDIT - This week's, not Claws of Axos.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Hand of Evil would be a lot better if the obvious twist didn't actually happen. Although it did give us more Stephen Thorne shouting about how I CREATED THIS WOOOOORRRRLD

"Eldrad must live" would be the best insistent, yet polite, line reading until Robots of Death.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Resurrection of the Daleks is really good. It's my first time seeing it. It doesn't look good, but the story is good. Probably the most I've enjoyed a Fifth Doctor TV story outside of "The Five Doctors" and "The Caves of Androzani."

Welcome, brother/sister/fellow being. :sympathy:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

pinacotheca posted:

I like Resurrection much more than I should. It's relentlessly bleak (e.g. the body count, the effects of the Daleks' poison gas on the space prison crew, the nihilistic offing of the riverside detectorist etc.) which really works well with the overcast gritty location filming. Having Tegan leave at the end of the story due to the bleakness is almost like the programme holding its hands up and admitting it might have gone too far this time. How about some Peter Wyngarde in Lanzarote to lighten things up?

I think a lot of it comes from how well the tone and themes connect. The Saward era made a lot more sense to me once I began comparing it to British comics I've read from the same period. The paranoia that fuels season 21 is in full force here, with both mind control and body duplication present - the forces of strength and uniformity either compel the individual to their will or kill them, and this happens from all sides - Davros doesn't give his renegade Daleks free will, he converts them to his own form of uniformity. (Ironically, said forces are ultimately wiped out by a virus, the ultimate form of impersonal destruction.) For both Davros and the Daleks, agency is the true threat, one reason that Turlough shines so strongly in this story - there never was a companion so dedicated to going his own way.

Yes, the Doctor is sidelined, but what's important is that it all comes down to him convincing someone that, yes, they really do have a choice - and this power is just as destructive as the Daleks think it is.

The atmosphere in this one is dead on - the damp grimness of the earth scenes versus the hospital sterility of the Dalek ship, the creepy music (which I'm listening to right now), the... bubble wrap. The script is a total mess, but I think it achieves what it sets out to do.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
In a related note, I work at a non-profit for people with a hearing loss (we aren't supposed to say "hard of hearing" any more for.... some reason), and while we don't have as much crossover with the Deaf community, there are quite a few people involved who sign, especially younger folks who don't care about the schism between deaf people and people who use hearing aids.

Anyway, one of my co-workers helps run our fundraising walks, and shared this video of Sophie Stone and Zaqi Ismail discussing the episode on the walk FB page... only to be bombarded by angry messages because the video wasn't captioned. :doh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Don't listen. Listen and you're dead.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

And More posted:

Someone else had the same issue. Here you go: link

Carbon dioxide posted:

I watched this video about Stone. It is both subtitled and has a BSL translator on-screen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0346nnh

I'll pass this version along, thanks!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I can fully believe the Doctor just talks to himself when no-one else is around.

Sit right down and I'll tell you about a wonderful little story called The Deadly Assassin Storm Warning...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

echoplex posted:

The nature of telly: shrugging your shoulders and going "oh well"

Arguing about Doctor Who with someone who works on the show... we are living in storied times. :magical:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You'd have gone nuts as a B5 fan in the nineties, JMS posted on rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated all the time

So Maera Sior tells me! I mostly meant it as a wilderness years fan, though, in how far we've gone since then.

Also that we have the best Doctor Who discussion group on the internet!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Now ish the winter of your dishcontent!

Enough of an excuse to post this again! (Shakespeare Volume Warning!)

EDIT

Fil5000 posted:

Pretty sure you're mistaken. They never use the oubliette.

:golfclap:

DOUBLE EDIT
Why did I post that? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Chokes McGee posted:

"This one's bad. Better get the Doctor Cleanup Corps."

*cut to guys with 1000 yard stares and funny hats, one twitches slightly, the rest sigh in defeat*

I miss Bob Hoskins :sigh:

• Locked thread