Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No YOU'RE crying

http://wqad.com/2015/09/19/brett-greenwood-leads-the-hawkeyes-onto-the-field/

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Yoshifan823 posted:

57 yard field goals are cool, Iowa is cool, Iowa/Northwestern will probably be for the right to get poo poo-stomped by OSU in the Big Ten Championship Game.

Wisconsin still exists, unfortunately.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Word was Kliff refused to shake Bielma's hand after the game too. drat Bret what did you do to him

Probs still mad about the 01 Alamo Bowl imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pook Good Mook posted:

Iowa beats Pitt with an (admittedly impressive) 57 yard field goal that shouldn't have been necessary and now our moron fans are talking like we're a team of destiny.

Still can't jam a receiver at the line, can't turn the corner on a run to the outside, can't manage the clock worth a drat, still get out-recruited by every team we supposedly compete with, still stuck with a milquetoast chickenshit coach. Not to mention we still let the team and the athletic department distract us with feel good stuff and pretend that's a valid justification for spending hundreds of dollars every weekend on a team with no accountability.

I'm as happy as anyone that we're 3-0 but gently caress let's dial it back.

That said, lol sad endzone Pitt player.

You're a dumb butthole and this season has been really fun so far. There have been genuinely positive changes with the coaching/players (the coaching has been decidedly not chickenshit this year, before this year Kirk almost certainly kneels and play for OT last night). Like I don't think they're going to win the conference but dang man take a second to enjoy winning a fun game on an exciting play, gently caress.

Also our corners can jam but typically don't because that's not the defense (and were going against what is probably the best receiver in the country last night) and Canzeri and Daniels have both gotten to the corner multiple times thus far. The recruiting is not great, I guess. If you want to pick on something the linebackers/safeties are still not great (aside from Ben Niemann) and the offensive line has some issues, especially in blitz pickup. But even both of those are way better than I expected them to be at the start of the year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

So, I feel like college kicking is at its nadir.

I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now. Very few teams have anything approaching a reliable kicker--there were several missed extra points.

What is causing this? Has it always been this bad and I didn't notice?

Are soccer players sticking with soccer now, and the dedicated football guys aren't as good?

counter-point: Marshall Koehn, Bitch

I think kicking has probably if anything gotten way better with time you are just more aware of high profile misses. I do not have numbers for it in college, but it's definitely true at the NFL level, where they just moved the extra points back because it had become so automatic as to be a complete waste of everyone's time. And just as a general rule people are better at most things now because The Past Is poo poo. I will stiff arm bronko nagurski's bitch rear end, bring him back to life.

korrandark posted:

Here you go. It seems pretty stupid to not have coordinators for an entire part of the game, especially one as important as special teams.

You only get so many assistants and they generally don't want to spend a slot on a guy to coach kickers. Special teams coordinators usually double as a linebacker coach or something like that.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 21, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa had one guy last year who was supposed to be doing it (Chris White, who is still nominally the ST coordinator and also coaches running backs) and they were poo poo. This year all of the defensive coaches are chipping in and we actually have pretty good special teams so far, at least when our returner is not inexplicably catching the ball as it is about to go out of bounds at the two and stepping out with it. But even then he is not attempting to lateral the ball to someone else as he falls out of bounds, so it's still progress!

But yeah there are a lot of head coaches who do it, Beamer and Urbz probably being the most famous.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Raku posted:

ban special teams imo and determine field position by having the fullbacks wrestle

This would give Iowa an immense advantage over the rest of the country and I support it completely.

Special Teams Coordinator Dan Gable, boom now all Iowa opponents start every drive at the 3 inch line while we get to start in the red zone.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 21, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

We would definitely still only score like 24 points a game.

LeeMajors posted:

Well there were high profile misses in the past too--but I feel like there's a reason PATs and short field goal misses seem so dramatic and inexplicable--because in the past they were fairly automatic.

Like I said, my guess would be that if anything kicking numbers have gotten better as time goes on and you're just noticing the misses more. I don't have the numbers on it though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cole posted:

Oh man Finebaum is starting off good. Calling for Saban's head with the second caller.

he can't defend them spread offenses pawl, the game done passed him by!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MindlessHavok posted:

Sax posted this on his fb but he's not around anymore so I'm gonna post it here anyway. Some dingus wrote an open letter to the Knoxville Sentinel:

Open Letter: Neyland Stadium is too dang loud

Hooo boy. "We're not old!" "Don't do what the young people want!"

I'm betting this guy is at least 50. I can't believe it's so loud in a stadium that hosts over 102k people! Harumph!

People around Kinnick get angry about this and tailgating around the stadium every year. Apparently they had no idea it would get kinda crazy around that neighborhood when they bought their house, even though the stadium has been in the same spot for, oh, a century or so.

Raku posted:

seriously tho gently caress turn down for what, it's done, bury it

Wisconsin manged to turn a loving House of Pain song into a cool tradition, I don't see how this is any different.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Don't look now, but TCU's defense is bordering on dumpster fire itself.

I think Cal is another level of bad. They gave up 40+ points 6 times last year. They gave up almost 60 to Colorado.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

hahaha that bottom one owns so hard

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Math rankings are always weird early in the season.

Colley Matrix:

Can't argue with numbers imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Neil Armbong posted:

lmao when I read this

The best part is that it seemed pretty much specifically designed as a means to "prove" how overrated Romo (or at least guys with the sort of rep Romo had at the time but he was the most prominent one) was by traditional passer rating and then he was like second in the league in the idiotic clutch part of it the first year they had it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

N: ESPN did a poll of all the FBS coaches

V:

isn't charlie strong like four feet tall

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
One of the guys involved in creating it was Dean Oliver, who is basically the grandfather of the advanced analytics movement in basketball. But most of his best work was a couple decades ago and I'm assuming he also got run over by ESPN/Dilfer on a lot of the dumber stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sith Happens posted:

As difficult as the last three games have been to watch, I'm not sure I understand this move. We've seen that Johnson can be a good QB in Malzahn's offense. If his recent problems were due to lack of confidence, this isn't going to help. If it was due to Johnson simply needing more real-game experience, this isn't going to help. I'd rather they identify the real cause(s) of the problem and find ways to correct that, rather than not giving Johnson enough opportunity to get to where he needs to be. This just seems like a huge step backwards instead of even trying to take baby steps forward.

The reasoning behind the move is that jeremy johnson is really loving terrible right now and was probably not ready to start yet.

And also if the starting point is "struggles to move the ball against Jacksonville State" it is pretty close to impossible to actually move backwards

e: wait what the gently caress that dude is already a Junior? Okay then he probably just loving sucks.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 22, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I know Johnson was a super hyped recruit but man if you look at the dudes he was ranked behind on rivals in their pro style QB rankings it is not an inspiring bunch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3067/2016/map

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I was following his stuff all last week. I think Vegas lured Purdue fans into this place of false reality with that terrible, terrible line for the VT game(VT -6) and the ready unwillingness of scared VT fans too stupid to know any better who were afraid to pick VT by more than the spread if at all.

Purdue fans bit hard on the idea that their program could change overnight with a win over VT(disregarding the fact that if they were capable of beating VT said VT team would be terrible and their program changing win would be over a really bad team). There was no logical reason for them to buy in so much to a win over VT given their history against FBS teams under Hazell and when they did and VT blew them out of the water like they were supposed to it broke their fanbase.

That guy in particular spent the week concocting that gambler's fallacy of "has to happen eventually" and it took him hard. They were further trolled when VT screwed around a bit in the first half and you had a 17-17 game at one point(that ended 51-24).

He also just roundly underestimated VT(every other team on Purdue's schedule is apparently as good or better than VT) so that bit of foolishness didn't help either.

I don't think it's VT in particular that's causing the angst, although that game was definitely not much fun for them. Everything from when Tiller retired on has been one long slide into the abyss and the Hazell era has been particularly dire. He has literally won a single Big Ten game in three years and they don't even play in the "good" division; they play in the one with loving Indiana. VT was just the most recent confirmation that it's not getting any better.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
haha jim delaney you are the worst

Iowa is never going to schedule another one aside from Iowa State once they expand the conference season though, so whatever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am actually stunned we never got around to playing UConn; that is like the most Kirk Ferentz OOC game imaginable. It's completely winnable, is against a semi-major conference team, and he has a personal connection from playing there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

How can they schedule big OOC games when they're busy creating rivalries against completely unaware teams?

Who us or UConn? The only instance of us doing that I can recall is when the Big Ten inexplicably decided that Purdue was our permanent protected cross-division rival before they shuffled things around again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

UConn, when they declared a "Civil Conflict" with UCF, but didn't bother to tell them and the whole school reacted with general confusion

This a very sad sentence

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Regardless of what he does at OC Hazell should probably be fired unless they dramatically turn things around. Like I get that things weren't very good when he took over but it's year 4. He's had plenty of time to try to rebuild, and I'm not really sure what he's done to deserve the benefit of the doubt. It's not like he was a can't miss coaching prospect. HE was a dude who had one good year in the MAC, which is a profile that seems to have lead to an awful lot of failed major conference coaching hires. Winning one conference games in three seasons is absurd. If you can't at least get the team to bowl eligible by year three or four in the Big Ten you need to go, especially in the recent Big Ten.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mayodreams posted:

I'm not sure that would even work. We fired Danny Hope for only being .500 and going to lovely bowl games and he had a killer mustache.

Edit: fixed phone posting grammar

Get back to your mustache roots and bring Brock Spack home.

(don't actually do this it would be really dumb)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mayodreams posted:

I thought so at first, but....

They'll probably be good this year too, but it's been a lot of whatever (in an admittedly brutal conference) followed with one really good year that was largely built in a way that you can't build a contender at the FBS level. Most of their best players are FBS transfers who didn't want to sit out a year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 23, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JRizzle posted:

It's dumb to complain about Mizzou's conference schedule since A) they don't control it at all, B) it's not their fault the rest of the East, outside of Georgia and South Carolina (most of the time) has been bad the last few years and C) this is their 4th year in the SEC. It's impossible for them to have played the entire SEC West yet. Sorry Mizzou's cross division rival isn't Auburn?

It can be a legitimate knock against their resume without being their fault.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am pretty sure that Nick is unhappy with losing, tbh.

he should probably figure out how to stop pop passes then

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The turnovers against Ole Miss didn't help, but I've noticed that the past few 'Bama losses have been more of a product of their defense not getting it done.

Their offense wasn't great against Ole Miss last year but otherwise yeah, they've been scoring plenty of points. They would have lost to Auburn last year if it weren't for the offense too.

ACoolT5 posted:

From the /r/cfb thread about Kiffin:

I want this to be true so bad.

Lane Kiffin is so great, I can't believe so many of you monsters wanted him to be jobless.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

IN OTHER NEWS, CHECK OUT TULSA'S QUARTERBACK

So mad Beathard cut his gross stringy blonde mullet in the offseason, it would have looked great combined with his current gross patchy beard/mustache.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
High School football is lame as hell unless you are in high school or have a kid in high school so give me that MACtion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Is the NCAA the entity that controls the College Football playoff revenue, or is the Playoff a separate partnership enterprise agreement between the conferences and the bowl institutions?

It's separate from the NCAA as far as I know. The NCAA officially does not crown a champion in college football.

• Locked thread