Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Luvcow posted:

after I was denied the opportunity to kill a roomful of baby orcs by the paladin in our group I refuse to work with paladins ever again.

no telling what those orcs grew up to be

Totally different subject here and I'm sorry for going off topic.

When an orc grows up in a society of other orcs that's what they are... they can't get better or act like a good being. they will terrorize people in their hooded sacks and run around the neighborhood in packs selling herbal remedies and stealing wheels off of carts. Any time I see an orc I follow them draw my crossbow and wait for them to do something bad like go Into a store and leave. (You know they just shoplifted) the I unleash my silent justice bow and they are smitten.. the way all orcs deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Every well balanced party contains at least one magic user=WCDM are bullied

People don't want to include paladins in their groups=Paladins must be the real bullies

Hurr durr Wizard logic :derp:

Uh, ever hear of affirmative action? Probably one of the only good things to come out of Baldurs Gate. Probably not. You're too busy being self righteous. We had to fight to just get our foot in the door to see at lease some representation in a group.

The Ghoul posted:

Just chiming in to share my own experience as coming out as a wizard...

:words:

I am truly sorry that this has happened to you. No one deserves to get tortured like that. I am happy that you have still found joy and peace in your life.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

Totally different subject here and I'm sorry for going off topic.

When an orc grows up in a society of other orcs that's what they are... they can't get better or act like a good being. they will terrorize people in their hooded sacks and run around the neighborhood in packs selling herbal remedies and stealing wheels off of carts. Any time I see an orc I follow them draw my crossbow and wait for them to do something bad like go Into a store and leave. (You know they just shoplifted) the I unleash my silent justice bow and they are smitten.. the way all orcs deserve.

wow speciest much? orcs are player character too, just like you and me, it's not like we're talking about ogres or bugbears

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

wow speciest much? orcs are player character too, just like you and me, it's not like we're talking about ogres or bugbears

urgh, tbh the only acceptable orc is a half orc (or a dead one LOL). Everyone knows that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I disagree they are a bunch a lawful evil at best, running around in the shady areas.. I mean not ALL orcs are bad but when they grow up in athe poor orc only areas they end up bad.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Wizards are welcomed, long as their gold is good. They are welcome in my shop. However just don't ask me to make custom tabards for their wizard gatherings.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Ghoul posted:

I would expect more support from a fellow paladin. I do not have a flowing beard and I try very hard to not have myself associated with magic culture.
Perhaps the other users in this thread are right, while I do not think that paladins in general are bullies, maybe it is you, Applewhite, who are the bully.

We may not have to like the company of Wizards, Mages and Clerics, but it is not our place to judge and harass them for the decisions they make.

I want to follow up by saying that I'm very much against those kinds of camps. It's no surprise to me that their most prominent "successes" end up as paladins, since paladins are the only class from whom using magic really is a choice. Most of the time the victims of these backwards camps just end up as self-hating wizards that keep all their mana bottled up inside until it explodes in a display of dark magic or they kill themselves because of the constant whispers of the dark ones in their heads.
If you are a magic user then there's nothing you can do about it except learn to wield magic righteously. You can't keep it bottled up forever and without guidance you will only end up using magic in an unhealthy way.
That is why I thank the LORD every day for His divine presence and guidance in helping me to use magic responsibly.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

one of my best friends is orc

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I want to follow up by saying that I'm very much against those kinds of camps. It's no surprise to me that their most prominent "successes" end up as paladins, since paladins are the only class from whom using magic really is a choice. Most of the time the victims of these backwards camps just end up as self-hating wizards that keep all their mana bottled up inside until it explodes in a display of dark magic or they kill themselves because of the constant whispers of the dark ones in their heads.
If you are a magic user then there's nothing you can do about it except learn to wield magic righteously. You can't keep it bottled up forever and without guidance you will only end up using magic in an unhealthy way.
That is why I thank the LORD every day for His divine presence and guidance in helping me to use magic responsibly.

Change wizard to paladin and this is the same argument you.......

You were sent to one of those camps, weren't you? :wth:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Change wizard to paladin and this is the same argument you.......

You were sent to one of those camps, weren't you? :wth:

I attended a training camp where I was taught to discipline my body as well as properly utilize my natural mana reserves, yes.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

loving bards. I bet you feel 'cultured' because you know an orc? That you can relate to his oppression because you can make a lovely song vaguely related to it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I attended a training camp where I was taught to discipline my body as well as properly utilize my natural mana reserves, yes.

Show us on the homunculus where they touched you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jukeboxblues posted:

loving bards. I bet you feel 'cultured' because you know an orc? That you can relate to his oppression because you can make a lovely song vaguely related to it.

I bet if you heard the song without knowing whether it was written by a "real" orc or a human bard it would still buff your stats.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Applewhite posted:

I feel like this anecdotal evidence of self-hating magic users and suicide does not add to the conversation about Wizards at all.
I am a better person for having experienced this and I still have many friends from camp that have not given into their magical urges. Many of them are not even paladins, and even more of them have decided not to pursue any career in dungeoneering.

I think so many impressionable youth are exposed to magic without really understanding what this life will bring them and since the dragon run government will not allow magic education, there must be another institution to fill in the void. We should thank these pious fighters for setting so many wayward children straight before they became magic wielding hooligans wasting our gold treating eldritch diseases from unprotected casting.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fed up of fascist wizards getting their wands out and zapping unarmed orcs in the street. Then everyone on the lawful good wing starts harping on about how the orc was no angel and posting hateful memes on the tavern notice board.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

Fed up of fascist wizards getting their wands out and zapping unarmed orcs in the street. Then everyone on the lawful good wing starts harping on about how the orc was no angel and posting hateful memes on the tavern notice board.

If the orc wasn't doing anything wrong then why did he use flee?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Did somebody Feeblemind you? It's the only explanation, beyond "LOL Paladins"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Did somebody Feeblemind you? It's the only explanation, beyond "LOL Paladins"

I'm just saying that everyone else manages to act with respect when they encounter an adventuring party, but somehow it's always "innocent" orcs who can't figure it out.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Quote-Unquote posted:

That Orc shouldn't have ventured near that wizard tower and that cloak shouldn't have been up.

edit:
Where do we stand on those "Druid" types? I don't need to be bothered by some tree wizard's minions every time I litter.

Redmanred fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 21, 2015

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Here's the deal.. wizards aren't adventurers they aren't dungeoneers they pretend to be and want to fit in but they cant they get beat up in the loot room because of who they are.

Ohh.. I can't do my silly dancing with all those muscles or plate armor but I can conjure lightning and elementals.

Ooooo save me from a big monster while I spend 30 min dancing in lights and crap.

So theatrical so dramatic.. they are all frustrated bards who didn't get into a real group and now they show how edgy they are by wizarding in public and playing with elements or telporting.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
True Orc encounter story:
My betrothed and I were coming home from a nice Lembas restaurant (she's half elvish) and we decided to take a shortcut through an alley that we had used many times before. I know it raises your risk of random encounters to travel through areas with low light levels but it cuts five minutes off our route. Besides, towns are supposed to be safe areas.
But not that night, it seemed. We'd barely made it halfway through the alley when a gang of orcs stepped out of the shadows and started making lewd comments about my betrothed. When I objected, the called me "lawful stupid" and spit on me!
They were just lucky I had to check my weapon at the town gate or they would have been in real trouble. As it was, we kept walking while they hurled racist and classist insults at our backs. I was mortified and Lethaniele wouldn't stop shaking even hours after we'd made it home safely.
From what I've heard from others, this is a fairly common orc encounter story.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tater_salad posted:

Here's the deal.. wizards aren't adventurers they aren't dungeoneers they pretend to be and want to fit in but they cant they get beat up in the loot room because of who they are.

Ohh.. I can't do my silly dancing with all those muscles or plate armor but I can conjure lightning and elementals.

Ooooo save me from a big monster while I spend 30 min dancing in lights and crap.

So theatrical so dramatic.. they are all frustrated bards who didn't get into a real group and now they show how edgy they are by wizarding in public and playing with elements or telporting.

You're ignoring all the high level wizards who've done so much for the kingdom. The Wyvern of the Black Hills was slewn by a wizard, not a fighter or a paladin. And he soloed it, no less!
I think that wizardry has largely benefitted from coming out of the shadows. It's when wizards are made to hide behind secret doors and practice their arts without supervision that they become truly corrupt. It's better they ply their craft in the daylight where we can keep an eye on them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What's up with enchantresses? Whenever they catch a man ogling them they curse him into being blind or a frog or something as punishment, but they go around dressed up in outfits with necklines that plunge down past their bellybutton. How do they expect men to react to that kind of provocative attire?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Only a wizard wouldn't want to see that... it's well worth the blindness to catch a glimpse at that. But in reality most enchantresses are elephantine and ugly wearing frocks and playing Ballard ball after their work is over.

What you are posting is only fantasy portrayed of forbidden fruit in whorehouses and artful drawing books.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 21, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tater_salad posted:

Only a wizard wouldn't want to see that... it's well worth the blindness to catch a glimpse at that. But in reality most enchantresses are elephantine and ugly wearing frocks and playing Ballard ball after their work is over.

That's what glamour spells are for :sparkles:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Never trust a wizard, that's what I always say! They're just as likely to lose control with rampant malicious spellcasting as they are to conjure food for the hungry!

Dangerous magics need to be controlled and regulated! Wizards should be rounded up into mage circles, where they can safely learn and use their spells under the watchful eyes of the Templars. The Templars will protect us from wizards, and protect the wizards from themselves.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm an Orc Paladin and I support wizard rights. My wife is of the magical sort and there is nothing evil in her sorcery.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I tried to date a wizard, but he'd always cancel plans to meet up at the last minute, but then by the next day he'd be texting me about how lonely he was and how much he missed me. Kind of need some spine imho.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
People from the SWPC (sorceress, wizard, paladin, and changeling) community are fine with me! Wish more kingdoms were more tolerant though...

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Pick posted:

I tried to date a wizard, but he'd always cancel plans to meet up at the last minute, but then by the next day he'd be texting me about how lonely he was and how much he missed me. Kind of need some spine imho.

Only real men out there I guess are Barbarians.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

TEAYCHES posted:

I dated an orc in college. She dumped me when she found out I was also hooking up with an enchantress.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I'm a grand wizard

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
As a blood mage, I've always found it difficult to maintain relationships with my peer group. It's hard to maintain a work-life balance when the only way I can succeed is to draw on the life force of others. Do I go out for drinks with Kevin, or do I put my sacrificial dagger through his chest cavity to drain him of his blood for my Friday night ritual? People often ask why I can't just use my own blood for spellcasting, to which my only reply is "it wouldn't work". They don't really "get" me sometimes. I tried just making small cuts on people's shoulders or necks, but the results were usually chastisement and anger. It's much easier to kill them entirely to spare me the headache of explaining myself.

Can I make the transition to Wizard? It sounds like a lifestyle of not carving up your friends and family to further your career is much more fulfilling. I've had zero luck summoning the Blood Lord and the cult is quite displeased with my lack of progress. Maybe being able to wear a white shirt/magnificent robe for once would bring me happiness.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It's clear on this plane that we're all cursed with a terrible trait of hateful classism and creaturism. My Alternates Planes and Dimensions (level five) professor told us of dimensions where people of all classes work together for the common benefit of creation. He told us a touching story of a fighter family discovering a baby orc wizard in a dungeon, crying in the blood of its slain mother. But instead of killing it, they took her in as their own and raised her as a proud cross-class. Wizards even run orphanages for young fighters with parents lost in the epic dungeons, all funded by extensive loot sharing. We need to look into ourselves and smite the hate that lies within us all.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
people get angry that I have an Orc for a familiar but I didn't want anything smart like a cat or a dog

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

#GreenLivesAreAntimatter after I see them trying to steal from my tower!

Applewhite posted:

Very true, very true.

String Beans posted:

That Orc shouldn't have ventured near that wizard tower and that cloak shouldn't have been up.

edit:
Where do we stand on those "Druid" types? I don't need to be bothered by some tree wizard's minions every time I litter.

Members of the WCDM tolerate them due to the benefits they bring to the table. But they are so few in numbers a lot of people forget about them. Most of them are pretty chill and fun to hang out with.

tater_salad posted:

I don't know what wizards you have been dealing with but they sound awesome. Most wizards (myself included) can't dance for poo poo, let alone work it into our casting.

Applewhite posted:

What's up with enchantresses? Whenever they catch a man ogling them they curse him into being blind or a frog or something as punishment, but they go around dressed up in outfits with necklines that plunge down past their bellybutton. How do they expect men to react to that kind of provocative attire?

Urgh, they are the worst. The read one tome on Sorcerer Studies and they think they know everything. And most of the do not have the Charisma to pull off the outfits they tend to wear. There should really be a stat requirement for certain clothes.

HJE-Cobra posted:

Never trust a wizard, that's what I always say! They're just as likely to lose control with rampant malicious spellcasting as they are to conjure food for the hungry!

Dangerous magics need to be controlled and regulated! Wizards should be rounded up into mage circles, where they can safely learn and use their spells under the watchful eyes of the Templars. The Templars will protect us from wizards, and protect the wizards from themselves.

We tried to have an organization of this sort once. It was so corrupt that we ended up only learning the evil stuff. So many island nations gone because of things like this. No, the only real way is to teach Wizards the basics and let them figure the rest out on their own.

Pick posted:

Sounds like you got one of those "red potion" losers. They are always going on and on about how only certain types of people get women and how they are always in the anti-magic zone but then when they finally find someone they pull poo poo like this. Real self-fulfilling prophecy crap.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PsychicToaster posted:

As a blood mage, I've always found it difficult to maintain relationships with my peer group. It's hard to maintain a work-life balance when the only way I can succeed is to draw on the life force of others. Do I go out for drinks with Kevin, or do I put my sacrificial dagger through his chest cavity to drain him of his blood for my Friday night ritual? People often ask why I can't just use my own blood for spellcasting, to which my only reply is "it wouldn't work". They don't really "get" me sometimes. I tried just making small cuts on people's shoulders or necks, but the results were usually chastisement and anger. It's much easier to kill them entirely to spare me the headache of explaining myself.

Can I make the transition to Wizard? It sounds like a lifestyle of not carving up your friends and family to further your career is much more fulfilling. I've had zero luck summoning the Blood Lord and the cult is quite displeased with my lack of progress. Maybe being able to wear a white shirt/magnificent robe for once would bring me happiness.

I had a good friend who was once a blood mage. He would always feel guilty about using other peoples blood to fuel his magic so he ended up setting a little shop up where people could donate their blood to him in jars. I lost touch with him shortly after this, but I did catch up with him the other day. Steve I think his name was. Good fellow. He's an accountant now.

Seeing as you already have innate magic abilities the transition is possible. I recommend going through a Wizard school first. They do a few free courses on getting started and I have heard its great for people wanting to transition classes. It gets you a good feel if this is right for you or not. Alternately you can pester high level Wizards to take you on as an apprentice. I also recommended some books earlier in the thread that I always recommend to people either looking to change class or cross-class.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

It's clear on this plane that we're all cursed with a terrible trait of hateful classism and creaturism. My Alternates Planes and Dimensions (level five) professor told us of dimensions where people of all classes work together for the common benefit of creation. He told us a touching story of a fighter family discovering a baby orc wizard in a dungeon, crying in the blood of its slain mother. But instead of killing it, they took her in as their own and raised her as a proud cross-class. Wizards even run orphanages for young fighters with parents lost in the epic dungeons, all funded by extensive loot sharing. We need to look into ourselves and smite the hate that lies within us all.

Sounds kind of new-agey to me. I bet he had a lot of crystals around the lecture hall or something too.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We shouldn't be dreaming of other planes but working to fix this one
Orc, wizard, paladin, fighter, bard, we can all coexist. But it will take work and sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Jukeboxblues posted:

Sounds kind of new-agey to me. I bet he had a lot of crystals around the lecture hall or something too.

Oh so it's cool to be a wizard, but own one crystal and you're suddenly some deviant?

• Locked thread