Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
The pilot wasn't too bad, but man, Kermit is such a downer in this, it's kind of depressing (usually I remember him being so optimistic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Scooter's golf cart tenacity was hilarious. :D

I laughed my rear end off at that part, along with Animal's "Too many women, too many towns" line. I thought the episode was decent overall, but the backlash on social media has been even funnier - here's some choice reactions on Twitter:

Some Angry Guy posted:

Thanks @ABCNetwork @ABCStudios, I can never let my kids watch #TheMuppets now that you have destroyed this kids show!!

Angry Guy #2 posted:

If you liked #themuppets as a kid, don't watch the new series. It will make you hate yourself.

Was the original Muppets Show super kid friendly? Also, did the legions of angry parents watch the previews for this before it was released? It was never marketed as a kids show.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

TVLine posted:

ABC’s The Muppets premiered on Tuesday to 8.9 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating, doubling the year-ago launch numbers for Selfie (4.9 mil/1.4) and trailing only The Voice in the demo for the night.

Source: http://tvline.com/2015/09/23/muppets-premiere-ratings-abc/

Since the reactions have been mixed at best, and there's such a large Parent backlash for this show, I'm guessing the ratings will probably plummet next week. :( I'm willing to give this show another chance, but I doubt others will.

I stand corrected, however I was referring to the new show regarding "It was never marketed as a kids show" judging from the previews that were released.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Jamesman posted:

It was a pretty all-inclusive show. I mean, the guest stars were certainly more geared towards the adult audience and would sometimes result in some more adult themes (Rita Moreno is hot as gently caress! Vincent Price is a master of horror! Alice Cooper: Worshiper of Satan?) but they were never so overt to take it beyond what was appropriate for everyone, because they never needed to.

That makes sense. This show, in comparison, is a completely different beast altogether - does anything think it's a reflection on how comedy has drastically changed over the years? Are the writers are trying too hard to be "edgy" and "cynical"? (Granted, when I think of The Muppets, the last things that come to mind are "edgy" and "cynical", so maybe that's the overarching problem here)

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know who this new show is for. People who grew up with the Muppets and want to see them do more adult, topical comedy? Do these people exist? It's not like that's unexplored territory with stuff like Avenue Q and Meet the Feebles, and this doesn't go far enough in that direction to be relevant in the same way. You can post all the outraged Twitter comments you want, but this whole project seems totally misguided from day one. I would rather it be a full-on kids show than this half assed thing that doesn't know what it wants to be.

This is a great point. I'm not even sure who this is supposed to be geared towards, as those who've grown up with the Muppets seem to absolutely despise this (from general consensus).

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I grew up with the Muppets and I quite enjoy this new thing.

I do too, but apparently we're in the minority here, judging from other's reactions on social media

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

What ever happened to Rolf? I missed his presence

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Jubs posted:

So why exactly are parents upset about this show? Isn't Modern Family considered a family show and they have adult situations?

The consensus I've seen is that certain parents (i.e. those from One Million Moms) are upset over its "perverted nature" because they cover topics about "sex and drugs". The jokes in the pilot were much more direct than what we've typically seen from past shows or movies featuring the Muppets, as opposed to simply alluding to more mature themes.

The Muppets' reputation amongst the general public is inoffensive, family-friendly humor - so it probably was a little jarring to some people who are only really familiar with the Muppets via their movies. It sounds to me like they're upset because they didn't bother to watch any previews or do enough research on the show before it aired.

Here's an article that's a good laugh:

Julie Gunlock from the NYPost posted:

ABC’s sordid prostitution of the once-sweet Muppets

ABC’s “The Muppets TV Show” is a betrayal of Jim Henson’s tender, optimistic vision — a pointless prostitution of a children’s entertainment franchise...

The utter dearth of kid-appropriate material is clearly intentional. As one of the show’s puppeteers suggested in the media last month, the show is “a little edgy.” Because that’s what The Muppets needed: an edge.

What’s next? Kermit deals with drug addiction, AIDS, gender reassignment surgery? Perhaps Miss Piggy (or Kermit’s new girlfriend) should deal with infertility. Or let’s all have a laugh riot while one of them visits an abortion clinic.

Source: http://nypost.com/2015/09/23/abcs-sordid-prostitution-of-the-once-sweet-muppets/

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

This episode is already better than the last one, it has more of Bobo the Bear

Also, "For the first time ever, we're in a code GREEN! Yaaaaaay!!"

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, he's an rear end in a top hat. That's amazing.

"I watched your show, and IT SUCKED!"

*Drives away

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

HIJK posted:

That ballpoint pen joke slayed me, oh my god.

This but I also loved the confrontation between Kermit and Josh Groban when Kermit tried to jump over him but failed miserably

"Did you forget that frogs can jump?!" *Thud

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I finally caught up with this week's episode - it was probably the funniest yet. Swedish Chef stole the show with his version of "Rapper's Delight", and hungover Pepe the next day was phenomenal. We need gifs of that scene, because everything about that hungover morning after was wonderful.

Kermit is such a manipulative prick though.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

J-Spot posted:

The premiere did well but since then the show has been hemorrhaging viewers. It's gone from a 2.9 to a 1.3 in the 18-49 demo.

It's a shame. I feel like the show has gotten much better since the pilot, but it'll probably be canned after this (or next, if they're lucky) season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

This past week's episode was easily the best yet in my opinion. They seemed to tone down "rear end in a top hat Kermit", and didn't feature a B-Plot with Fozzie (who I like, but was never really that funny). Both Dave Grohl and JGL were great guests - I loved their version of "Learn to Fly" with the horns, I wish they'd release that to download.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Was this the first time we've seen Kermit do the arm-flailing "Yaaay!" on this show? I thought that was a nice touch.

It was the second time as Gavok pointed out, but I loved that part. That whole scene was pretty uplifting, and it was awesome to see Gonzo nail the jump after doubting himself.

• Locked thread