Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
As a self-proclaimed Muppet aficionado, the pilot didn't land for me but I think it did show potential. I have two concerns. First, the jokes weren't that funny, but I can chalk this up to pilot syndrome. Second, while I'm fine with the darker, more 'adult' focus, they definitely need to include more of the Muppet-brand of optimism.

The updated premise works well. The late night format is today's variety show and the characters translate nicely to their new roles. I'm hoping they designed the show to incorporate frequent guest stars because part of the Muppet charm is how they interact with humans.

I disagree with whoever said the characterization was off. Kermit, Fozzie, and Piggy have always been sad sacks who need each other to succeed. If there's one consistent message throughout all Muppet media, it's the importance of working together, being kind and loyal and supportive to your friends, community > individual, etc. The tension always comes when the Muppets are separated. The pilot introduced their current disharmony, and I imagine that'll be the through-line for the show: how do we put on a show when everyone is a walking disaster? On the lighter side, Gonzo's joke about camera cutaways being hackneyed fit perfectly. He's a whatever who loves the avante garde, so of course he's the perfect mouthpiece to question the show's tried format.

I'm going to keep watching. Hopefully they'll find the right balance as the season unfolds, but I don't think they have a lot of time before they risk cancellation. They might've used up any popular audience goodwill they had by placing too much emphasis on the "not yo mama's Muppets" angle right off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Has Denise been in the show since the pilot? I completely forgot about that plotline until this episode...

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm confused because I love the Muppets and generally think this show is not-good. To paraphrase Perd Hapely, the show has the cadence of a funny show, but it is not, in fact, one.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

X-O posted:

You're confused that people have different opinions than you? How is that confusing?

Nono, I'm confused at myself for not liking the show. It has everything that I'd want but it hasn't clicked for me.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

raditts posted:

Really? I certainly don't remember seeing him at all in the last two movies.

I can only remember him from the original movie (in the theater scenes) and Christmas Carol (as Tiny Tim).

• Locked thread