Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Professor Shark posted:

So freemarket.txt says someone will make it for only $50 a pill, right?

it's pretty simple:

step 1 : find super obscure yet life-saving drug that only one company bothers to produce because volume & margins are so low
step 2 : buy out company and restrict distribution so competition has a harder time reverse engineering the drug, raise price x5000
step 3 : rake in money while another pharma company rushes to produce a reasonably priced generic which will probably take months
step 4 : go to step 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
no you see he's actually super rational and found a flaw in the free market where this drug wasn't competitive enough and is just encouraging that competition :downs:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
'wait a second... oh my god i've figured it out... i'm a genius!! people don't like dying! i'll make millions'

*holds life-saving drug hostage for a bajillion dollars holding his pinky up like loving dr. evil*

'buhhh no one understands my genius loving libtards'

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
yes exactly. he knows no one is going to let people die because of this price hike so they'll be forced to buy the drug no matter what. it's why he chose a life-saving drug instead of some generic that makes your nose less runny or w/e

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
he was also careful to place the cost of treatment as roughly equal to state of the art cancer treatments because he knew that was the upper ceiling the market could bear.

it's literally a sociopath running irl mmo-style min-maxing

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ArbitraryC posted:

What do free market enthusiasts have to say about this?

Necc0 posted:

no you see he's actually super rational and found a flaw in the free market where this drug wasn't competitive enough and is just encouraging that competition :downs:

only it'll be couched in lots of big words and condescension to the idiot liberal media whose minds are too feeble to grasp such lofty concepts

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rabble rabble posted:

seriously though why doesn't one of those jackass vcs fund something like that, the pill sharing economy

That's called 'drug reimportation' and many have been trying to get it legalized for a long time.

This is the part where you realize I wrote RE-importation and get really mad.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

fancy sauces posted:

I'm really really ignorant about how pharma companies operate, but I take it that medicine isn't protected under any sort of any-monopoly law? Not even sure if monopoly is the right word in that case... but why couldn't another company make a generic brand of Daraprim?

Necc0 posted:

it's pretty simple:

step 1 : find super obscure yet life-saving drug that only one company bothers to produce because volume & margins are so low
step 2 : buy out company and restrict distribution so competition has a harder time reverse engineering the drug, raise price x5000
step 3 : rake in money while another pharma company rushes to produce a reasonably priced generic which will probably take months
step 4 : go to step 1

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

fakiebeanplant posted:

capitalist equivalent of a checkmate. medicaid, the largest provider of healthcare in the US, will eat the difference in price and develop a massive deficit.

politicians will be up to their ears in complaints about the impending increase of insurance premiums, and will likely set in-motion whatever rube goldberg machine this cunning albanian has concocted.

gg shkreli

hedge fund managers are smart, depraved people

he isn't smart.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

genesplicer posted:

I honestly don't understand how this is happening. The drug is no longer under patent. If that's the case, isn't anybody allowed to manufacture it? How does this company have exclusive rights?

i'm going to have to re-quote my post every loving page aren't I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
fortunately for them reimportation still doesn't seem to be on the table. a word so powerful a senator just mentioning it causes pharma stocks to drop across the board

• Locked thread