Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because he is a lead role, so unless he's the villain I can't imagine who else he's gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It says "Lead" and it's not Reuben Langdon. Granted they could just as easily get somebody else though I'm not sure why they would.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he could be a major supporting character? Kyrie would probably count as a 'lead' even though she isn't on screen that much

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

notZaar posted:

It says "Lead" and it's not Reuben Langdon. Granted they could just as easily get somebody else though I'm not sure why they would.

So you're basing this all on the voice actor?

Uh... what about Metal Gear Solid 5? Voice actors change.

Dante's whole character changed a ton between 3 and 4, they could change it some and still have it be the same guy.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This is all speculation based on an unreliable source anyways but yeah any of that could also be true.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They are not going to change Dante's voice when they are still hiring his company to do mo cap work and have him readily accessible to voice him again. Also Langdon's dedicated as hell to the role, why would he not voice Dante again? He literally did new lines for the Pachinko game for god's sake.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe Devil may Cry is a Pachinko exclusive?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Go back to the chat thread

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If they're pretending DmC doesn't exist and calling the game Devil May Cry 5 then recasting Dante for no reason would be super dumb.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wait I'm reading your post again, I think you're confused. Dante didn't really change much between 3 and 4, he's just a little bigger and slightly less of an upfront rear end in a top hat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

notZaar posted:

Wait I'm reading your post again, I think you're confused. Dante didn't really change much between 3 and 4, he's just a little bigger and slightly less of an upfront rear end in a top hat.

It also brought Dante more in line with his true character from dmc2 Dante.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What other named characters are there in dantes inferno that havent been used yet?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Uncle Wemus posted:

What other named characters are there in dantes inferno that havent been used yet?

there's like a thousand literary and historical cameos in the Divine Comedy

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/741000714831417344

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

notZaar posted:

He changed a ton between 3 and 4. In 4, Nero is closer to DMC3's Dante than Dante is.

Dante looks like 20-30 years older and he's got this serious Alec Baldwin look. Where DMC3 dante was a cocky teenager.

They both have swagger and 4 is less of an rear end in a top hat yeah, but I still feel its a pretty dramatic shift. He doesn't even look the same. (Not that I'm complaining, it makes sense. It takes place at the end of the series instead of the very beginning)

The whole reason they had us play Nero in DMC4 though was because they didn't want to pull a Metroid Prime "Ooops! I just tripped and dropped all my superpowers! I'll have to go collect them again!" and wanted to leave Dante as a strong badass. So you start as Nero and power up.

That's also kinda why DMC3 was a prequel, it explained Dante not being as strong to start with and having to develop his fighting styles.

So DMC5 could have you be some other character and then Dante shows up later, (I wouldn't really care for that personally) but even then they'd still probably bring back the original Dante voice actor right? Seems just as plausible that its Dante again and they're just having a different voice or something. Who knows.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do you like Dante? Well, in the new one, you get to see him as a little kid!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

No joke playing DMC5 as Sparda wouldn't be a half-bad idea.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Does dante age normally? Have they said when he ias born i know the games kinda take place in a pseudo modern day with motorcycles and strippers but theres an awful lot of swords.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Too good to be true, I guess.

Zaphod42 posted:

So DMC5 could have you be some other character and then Dante shows up later, (I wouldn't really care for that personally) but even then they'd still probably bring back the original Dante voice actor right?

I have a hard time believing they would bring Drew Coombs back when he fell off the face of the earth in like 2006 and no one's heard or seen him in anything since then. Also the DMC anime used Reuben Langdon for Dante and that takes place after DMC1. It's really a lot simpler than I feel you're making it out to be for yourself, they wouldn't change his voice at this point since Langdon is always up for doing it. He will however change his tone and style and you are absolutely correct that Dante in 3 and 4 are very different performances even if they are very much still silly dudes.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Does dante age normally? Have they said when he ias born i know the games kinda take place in a pseudo modern day with motorcycles and strippers but theres an awful lot of swords.

Dante's 19 in DMC3 and that's all we really know about him age wise and he seems age like a regular dude since he's got five o clock shadow in DMC4 and does look noticeably older than in DMC1. The setting for DMC is always kinda strange because it changes styles between architecture and location in games so much but DMC1 and 3 are supposed to take place in America and 4 is in some european country.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baal posted:

Too good to be true, I guess.

I have a hard time believing they would bring Drew Coombs back when he fell off the face of the earth in like 2006 and no one's heard or seen him in anything since then. Also the DMC anime used Reuben Langdon for Dante and that takes place after DMC1. It's really a lot simpler than I feel you're making it out to be for yourself, they wouldn't change his voice at this point since Langdon is always up for doing it. He will however change his tone and style and you are absolutely correct that Dante in 3 and 4 are very different performances even if they are very much still silly dudes.

Dante's 19 in DMC3 and that's all we really know about him age wise and he seems age like a regular dude since he's got five o clock shadow in DMC4 and does look noticeably older than in DMC1. The setting for DMC is always kinda strange because it changes styles between architecture and location in games so much but DMC1 and 3 are supposed to take place in America and 4 is in some european country.

DMC1 was on an island in the ocean. America doesn't have that many of those.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

No clue about Dante's aging speed. Its definitely taking place in modern day, I figure he just uses swords because magical monsters don't seem to care about bullets.

Nobody else really uses swords, its not like humans are running around with them all day.

In 1 you're on some spooky castle island so having swords isn't too weird, in 3 you have the whole magical te-me-ni-gru tower / gateway to hell thing however you spell it, and then...

Actually I don't really know what was happening in 4, that one was kinda weird. 1 and 3 could be set in our current present day world, but 4 would have to be on like some weird religious cult country or something. They also had dudes with swords so yeah, I dunno.

Even 2 fits in with modern day, you're just in like some South American coastal town or something. But 4 is just straight fiction world.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoubleDonut posted:

I can't wait to take the grand tour at E3.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
DMC4 definitely does not take place in the Vatican, no sir.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

DMC4 definitely does not take place in the Vatican, no sir.

That mostly fits, religious city and near the coast I guess. But the trees are all wrong for Italy aren't they? Feels more South America like DMC2. But I guess it fits as well as the others do in the modern world.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

That mostly fits, religious city and near the coast I guess. But the trees are all wrong for Italy aren't they? Feels more South America like DMC2. But I guess it fits as well as the others do in the modern world.

I'm pretty sure the jungle was magically created by Echidna. Both Nero and Dante are surprised by it and Nero lives in this place.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Peewi posted:

I'm pretty sure the jungle was magically created by Echidna. Both Nero and Dante are surprised by it and Nero lives in this place.

Hey ya live in a place but you never go see the sites until someone visits

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Don't try to suss out any logic, we transition from the dead of the night in the mountains during a blizzard to a sunny tropical jungle, it's just magic teleportation.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dante's "what the hell is this!" line when you first reach the forest always gets me. bless reuben langdon

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
https://youtu.be/ml6wKLgA66s

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Devil May Cry: Phantom Souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSOXMi7uXlk

EDIT: Just noticed the iOS at the end. Sorry. :smith:

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 14, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Boy, there's no end to the tragedy, is there?

That said, hey, even fake trailers are better than pachinko.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

thank you for posting this random phone game

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Vergil looking even more anime than the usual.

:smith:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
this is just some chinese mobile game ripoff fyi

look onwards to tgs as the final stand of dmc

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If Ace Combat can get a new game DMC can. I believe.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9sJBNCd24A&t=505s

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

don't play with my heart, johnny

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/nolan_north/status/786145905212846080

Stop loving with us :smith:

• Locked thread