Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mune
Sep 23, 2006
Since mine was basically the last post of the last thread, I'm going to repost it here:

(for DMC4SE)

Does anybody have any links to good tips/etc pages? I'm playing on PS4 so I don't really have access to a practice mode and my performance in BP is wildly inconsistent (basically depending on how much I cheese using JFJC). I watched the advanced Vergil tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF16RaBq9V4) which was good but I'm looking for more in-depth stuff.

I'm having a lot of fun doing weapon switches and trying out new combos, etc. I have either massive success or I get completely destroyed. It's more fun than just using Yamato though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Fereydun posted:

define "in-depth" here- like, how to deal with enemies as vergil, or enemy properties specific to 'em or more advanced techniques not listed in the video?

For Vergil - more like how to practice, some good controller setups (not sure if mine would work), and maybe some example combos. A lot of the time I just end up getting guys airborne then comboing/JFJCing them to death, which is boring.

What about Blitzes? I basically just run around and shoot summoned swords at them until they lose their shield, then I DT and unload on them, then when the red electricity comes up I basically dodge/run like a madman. This tactic can't be the best way, but the only surefire way I've seen to beat Blitzes is to do a distorted charged uppercut, and babby isn't so great at distortions yet.

Edit: For my control setup, I basically made RT shoot swords, square does the melee attack, and triangle is the special (grim trick). Everything else is the same.

mune fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 22, 2015

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Fereydun posted:

controller setup is just preference- i use the default schemes on all of my stuff with a weird grip so i can weapon swap and still press buttons (ring finger on trigger, middle finger on lockon button, thumb+pointer for face button presses)
mission 12 is the general place i use to practice stuff since you can practice on regular scarecrows and mega-scarecrows in the room next door (without having to kill anything to get to them).
the initial room respawns like three times after the initial clear so that's super convenient.

for example combos, i really like sakaki and catherine enthalpy's styles- ultimately there's no real objective judgement so it's just a matter of tryin' to do poo poo you think looks cool and getting inspiration from whatever you see i guess.
note that catherine enthalpy's combos use debug mode/GMD health values or something so they're not doable normally.
this dude has really sick finishers and setups too

as for blitz, there's a vid on a simple way to kill em: (but yeah, it uses distortion)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfX8sOpociM
it's not too hard to ghetto distort vergil's uppercut as it does so many hits and has massive hitstop. you just let it rip and when it hits turn on dt and mash the DT button again and it'll probably distort one of the hits.
to note, if you don't have a sword formation out when they're transforming into the berserk mode you can actually heavy rain sword them to freeze them for a simple charged punch finisher if you bring 'em to that level the normal way.

Nice! Thanks for the info. I'm looking at those videos right now.

It seems like people use DT a lot with Vergil. I've pretty much ignored DT in all the games unless I'm trying to blitz a boss or I'm low on health. Should I be interspering DT throughout my combos?

It's crazy the lack of information/tips/vids out there on this game.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Fereydun posted:

DT carries with it the abliity to do trick down (teleport down to the ground) in the air alongside trick back and sideways.
it also makes certain moves act differently: for example, a lot of those vids use DT'd stinger because the aerial version of DT stinger goes extremely far, meaning that you can use it as a flashy way to move around during your combo by whiffing it.

other stuff affected by DT are lunar phase, rapid slash and yamato combo A.
lunar phase gains a ton of hits, and on the ground it follows up into rising sun (the rising kicks). in the air it just gains a fuckton of hits.
rapid slash does a ton more damage and gains the special exploding sword property.
yamato combo A gains three additional slashes- two more small two-handed slashes and a huge mega slash.

to note, once you do the attack, you can un-DT as you've already gone into the attack animation for the DT version of the attack.
so you can DT, do a grounded lunar phase, unDT and then still get the rising sun followup despite being regular vergil.

and yeah, i'm pretty surprised there's not like a comprehensive guide or wiki or something.

Wow. So I should probably (definitely) be using DT a lot more.

It's weird - I looked on gameFAQs and the Steam forums and there doesn't seem to be a ton of information out there. There's a lot (like the Vergil videos) it's just tough to parse.

And the controls are weird- I'll try to do a Drive/Overdrive and half the time my guy just tricks. Frustrating.

Too bad the rest of the game is just so fun.

You've been a huge help!

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Man. I just have no idea if I'm getting better with Vergil. There are certain attacks which just hit me every now and then (when the Mephistos do their spinning charge), and I either completely demolish Blitzes or they do a lot of damage to me.

I got to the 70s earlier today on BP, and then just now died at Berial (where I commonly have trouble because I can't dodge his big fireball). Usually when I do really well it's because I'm spamming Rapid Slash JFJC, which tbqh isn't really very fun or stylish.

edit: Like, now I'm trying to figure out how to Drive Cancel so I can be a lot more viable with Force Edge. I basically default to Yamato as soon as I get in trouble so I can dash around and JFJC and I'd rather be more well-rounded.

edit2: well, whatever, I figured out Berial and no-dmg'd him. This game.

mune fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 23, 2015

• Locked thread