Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mune posted:

Nice! Thanks for the info. I'm looking at those videos right now.

It seems like people use DT a lot with Vergil. I've pretty much ignored DT in all the games unless I'm trying to blitz a boss or I'm low on health. Should I be interspering DT throughout my combos?

It's crazy the lack of information/tips/vids out there on this game.

DT is really really good and you should use it. It isn't a handicap it is an attack modifier and should be strung in regularly to your attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can totally believe we'll get a DMC5 and probably a return-to-classic after the backlash. (not to mention that Ninja Theory is working on Disney Infinity these days.)

It probably won't be particularly big budget though and if it flops then welp

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think DMC3 is more stylish and memorable but DMC4 (especially with SE) is mechanically stronger. I would rather play DMC3's plot and DMC4's Blood Palace.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think DmC isn't bad but I think it'd be pretty much entirely forgotten if it wasn't a DMC reboot. It's pretty much entirely in Heavenly Sword/Enslaved territory for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Honestly, I think it would have done a lot better if it wasn't a DMC reboot. It's got plenty of its own style, and having an action brawler IP that features fights against news broadcasters and corrupt business people in a contemporary world could have been interesting.

For what it's worth, I think Vergil was right to attempt a sniper rifle abortion on the Antichrist.

I think the story would have still been considered pretty laughable. It is edgy but the sort of tryhard edgy that tends to turn people off. The idea of being punk-style criticism and counterculture is cool but DmC is more like your dad's idea of that. (Almost literally, there's a huge dated feel to it, with attempts made to modernize it by doing references to at-the-time current political trends.)

It probably would have gotten less overt negativity for sure but I don't think it would have actually done much for its popularity. It wasn't able to stand on its own two legs despite generally positive reviews and it wasn't able to form a long-term fanbase outside of upset DMC fans. Even people who really liked DmC don't seem to have really stuck with it.

Edit: Like, I honestly think it did about as well as it would have done. Less negativity would have helped it but it would have been balanced by it being a new IP by a mildly-successful developer which makes it easy to overlook, and without the backlash they probably wouldn't have polished the combat as much as they did.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like DMC1 a lot. I think it's a really different style of game though. It's a lot more akin to the Resident Evil styling. You've only got two weapons (technically four but Force Edge/Sparda effectively sit in your inventory for most of the game.) It's got weighter enemies more built around specific exploiting than freeform combo system and a lot more of the more complex combat mechanics haven't evolved yet.

I certainly think ti has the best enemy design in the series overall though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You know its going to DmC 2. DmC wasn't all that bad for trying to get new people into the game.

It would be pretty odd to bring back the guys behind Dante and Nero for DmC2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I know they probably wouldn't, but I'd like to see them carry over some of DmC's better features; visual indicator of a pause combo, the practice mode (with an enemy to practice on), maybe even some of the weapon transition combos.

I wouldn't say that is impossible. They specifically based some of DMC4 Vergil's moves off the DmC version so they're not opposed to borrowing ideas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

So its just a re-release of a re-release? Capcom so far you have fallen.

Really.

A) Yes, this is 'so far' for Capcom "Super Street Fighter II: Hyper Turbo Edition"
B) This is someone's fan-mod not something Capcom is doing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm gonna break this as nicely as possible, because I was tricked into thinking this was something else and it hurt. A new pachislot game is coming out in Japan based on DMC4, and here's the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRRrEO8FXY There's even some footage of them motion capturing the new cutscenes for it in the video, so I think this was what that photo of Johnny Yong Bosh and Reuben Langdon together was from.

I need to stop wishing for new games in franchises I like because they are inevitable going to be this or mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

With all the poo poo from mighty no 9 im not so sure about capcoms complete stupidity

You do know Capcom has literally nothing to do with MN9, right?

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

• Locked thread