Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/09/21/3703765/israeli-police-can-now-use-snipers-against-palestinian-teens-throwing-stones/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle#Performance

>Because a .22 LR bullet is less powerful than larger cartridges, its danger to humans is often underestimated. In fact, a .22 LR bullet is capable of inflicting very serious injuries (e.g. the four people wounded, one mortally, during the Reagan assassination attempt) or death e.g. the Kauhajoki school shooting (11 killed and one wounded), the Jokela school shooting (eight killed and one wounded), and the 1979 Cleveland Elementary School shooting (two killed and nine wounded), as well as the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. Numerous other shooting incidents have demonstrated that .22 LR bullets can easily kill or seriously injure humans. Even after flying 400 yd (370 m), a .22 bullet is still traveling about 500 ft/s (150 m/s). Ricochets are more common in .22 LR projectiles than for more powerful cartridges as the combination of unjacketed lead and moderate velocities allows the projectile to deflect – not penetrate or disintegrate – when hitting hard objects at a glancing angle. A .22 LR can ricochet off the surface of water at a low angle of aim. Severe injury may result to a person or object in the line of fire on the opposite shore, several hundred yards away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

quote:

officers can only shoot if the stone throwers are endangering the lives of people in cars or houses.

so?

e: the dude in the photo is using a sling. If you got hit in the face you would be seriously harmed or killed.

tumblr.txt fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 23, 2015

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

tumblr.txt posted:

so?

e: the dude in the photo is using a sling. If you got hit in the face you would be seriously harmed or killed.

Yes, I'm sure that would seriously hurt a car and/or house.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
tbh I wish Israel would just stop pulling punches and bomb Palestine into submission.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

tumblr.txt posted:

tbh I wish Israel would just stop pulling punches and bomb Palestine into submission.

They already do that every couple of years.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

tumblr.txt posted:

This, so very, very much. Slings are anything but non-lethal and with the right shot can penetrate and injure as readily as the aforementioned .22 LR. That's not to excuse the Israelis, by the way, I'm just saying that it's not quite as staggeringly asymmetric as it might appear.

EDIT: Come to think of it, calling anything "non-lethal" is utter bullshit. Rubber bullets and tear gas can, will and do kill people. I'm not even sure if .22 bullets are any worse than what's already being fielded by Israeli border police.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 23, 2015

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dennis the Menace was a war criminal.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

R. Mute posted:

Dennis the Menace was a war criminal.

He did have a habit of assaulting the homeless and lighting them on fire.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The Israeli government has said that they'll only be using their 10/22s against people targeting vehicles and homes. If someone is slinging rocks at people's heads, there's a pretty good argument to be made for the use of lethal force.

It's simply disingenuous to call shooting someone with .22LR a non-lethal option.

Edit: nothing used for crowd control is 100% non-lethal. Less-lethal is probably a better term, but that's not what's used in the story.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 23, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Volcott posted:

The Israeli government has said that they'll only be using their 10/22s against people targeting vehicles and homes. If someone is slinging rocks at people's heads, there's a pretty good argument to be made for the use of lethal force.

It's simply disingenuous to call shooting someone with .22LR a non-lethal option.

Right, except:

quote:

According to the policy shift, authorized by Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein, officers can only shoot if the stone throwers are endangering the lives of people in cars or houses.

EDIT: I should probably be clear here, I'm not defending the "non-lethal" designation or any other aspect of Israeli policy. I'm just saying you can't go calling anyone disingenuous when you don't seem to have read the article yourself.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
22s kill a lot more people than qassam rockets...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

TomViolence posted:

Right, except:

Here's one such incident.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/08/palestinian-teenager-shot-back-senior-israeli-soldier-mohammed-kasbeh

A commander, fearing for his life, exits his military vehicle and shoots a rock thrower. That's the Israeli account.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
If you know you're going to get shot, maybe you should stop throwing rocks?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

tumblr.txt posted:

The Palestinian account is that he ran once several men existed the vehicle, and was then shot in the back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tumblr.txt posted:

"If you'd just stop resisting sir, the dog would stop biting you"

"If you stop resisting, we'll unziptie you from the windshield of our vehicle."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Volcott posted:

Edit: nothing used for crowd control is 100% non-lethal. Less-lethal is probably a better term, but that's not what's used in the story.

I'm with you 100%. Things like bean bag shotgun rounds absolutely have the capacity to break bones, cause massive internal bleeding, and rupture organs. The fact that it doesn't actually put a hole in you can cause a delay in receiving medical care that could compound the issue.

That being said, calling .22 non lethal is stupidity that is bordering on Orwellian. In any other country if you have someone slinging rocks at people I can see using it potentially justified, but I don't trust the IDF to be level headed in their justification of usage given their history of indiscriminate and overwhelming escalation of force.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

tumblr.txt posted:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mugrim posted:

22s kill a lot more people than qassam rockets...

Well, let's be reasonable here. Is there anything the Israeli Defense Force could arm itself with that could match the level of non-lethality of Qassam rockets?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Well, let's be reasonable here. Is there anything the Israeli Defense Force could arm itself with that could match the level of non-lethality of Qassam rockets?

F-35s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

Finger pointing.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pretty sure the F-35s will kill more IDF pilots than Qassam rockets ever will.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volcott posted:

Yes, I'm sure that would seriously hurt a car and/or house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/world/middleeast/israel-west-bank-violence.html?_r=0

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:allears: I love that the only part you bothered to notice in that article was an Israeli dying, y'know, instead of the context.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Play stupid games (building your home amongst people that hate you), win stupid prizes (being stoned to death).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So I'm guessing there aren't many countries on the planet that consider putting an actual metal bullet fired from a gun into a person to be non-lethal, huh?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mercury_Storm posted:

So I'm guessing there aren't many countries on the planet that consider putting an actual metal bullet fired from a gun into a person to be non-lethal, huh?

One of the resident gun nuts on this forum says that .22's are only good for target shooting (therefore don't ban guns) so it's an idea that's bouncing around out there.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Perhaps if the people whose territory you are occupying are throwing rocks at you that's a "you" problem.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tezzor posted:

Perhaps if the people whose territory you are occupying are throwing rocks at you that's a "you" problem.

Something something Greater Israel something something Palestinians are an invented people something something.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: I love that the only part you bothered to notice in that article was an Israeli dying, y'know, instead of the context.

Unlike you, I do not consider the murder of an innocent man to be a laudable act. Feel free to "contextualize" however you wish.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 24, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Insect Court posted:

Unlike you, I do not consider the murder of an innocent man to be a laudable act.

Because that's all that happened.

Nice straw.....well, you know.

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002
I wonder if there was something lost in translation here. I could see someone claiming .22 was a less lethal option. They would be wrong, but that's a lot more understandable than calling it a non-lethal option, even more so if they where comparing it to something like 5.56.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Urzza posted:

I wonder if there was something lost in translation here. I could see someone claiming .22 was a less lethal option. They would be wrong, but that's a lot more understandable than calling it a non-lethal option, even more so if they where comparing it to something like 5.56.

To be fair most things can be considered 'less lethal' when you are free to pick what they are compared to. All bullets are less lethal than an RPG for instance. The difference is that 'less lethal' has previously been taken to mean 'less lethal than bullets' rather than 'less lethal than these more dangerous types of bullet'.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Wow I/P and gun-chat. Two great tastes that taste great together.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
As someone's already remarked: I think the title of this thread is misleading- reading the original Haaretz article, it doesn't say .22lr is being classified as "non-lethal" or "less-lethal" ammunition.

The attorney general has authorized Southern District police to use rimfire rifles to "shoot to wound." Previously the police had been using actual less-lethal devices like pepper ball guns.

The rifle in question is the suppressed Ruger 10/22, presumably firing subsonic (slower, quieter) ammunition. The unsuppressed variant of the 10/22 is enormously popular in the United States, but if you do a little research, you'll find that it's not known for being accurate. Shooting low velocity ammunition from a standing position, I would not consider the 10/22 to be accurate enough beyond 75 yards to avoid accidentally hitting someone's femoral artery or kneecap. If you're shooting at someone within 75 yards, that begs the question: why not just use bean bag rounds or a pepper ball gun?

Being shot in the knee ("kneecapping" explained, no images) or ankle can permanently destroy that joint, and may require amputation. Complete transection of the fermoral artery can cause death in minutes.

It's for good reason that in the United States there is no legal distinction between shooting someone in the leg with a .22lr or a .45 in the chest. Both shots would be considered "deadly force," and could be justified as self defense only if you were preventing someone else's unlawful use of deadly force.

The Ruger 10/22 will not stop someone in the act of throwing stones better than less-lethal devices already in use with the Israeli police. At best they will inflict debilitating injuries that will deter future incidents- more likely they will serve as a means of dolling out retributive violence for a political purpose.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Dilkington posted:

Being shot in the knee ("kneecapping" explained, no images) or ankle can permanently destroy that joint, and may require amputation. Complete transection of the fermoral artery can cause death in minutes.

If I've learned anything from reading gunchat is that this is literally impossible.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Do you believe that it's proportionate and morally justifiable to use a sniper rifle to shoot a kid with stones and a sling?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Insect Court posted:

Unlike you, I do not consider the murder of an innocent man to be a laudable act.

Unless, you know, it's the IDF doing the murdering.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Chomskyan posted:

Do you believe that it's proportionate and morally justifiable to use a sniper rifle to shoot a kid with stones and a sling?

It depends if you think the story of David and Goliath has any value to it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
As a gun nut I can confirm that shoot to wound is the dumbest loving thing I ever heard of. It bears mentioning that European police forces sometimes have policies that conditionally allow for it as well and thus they also are retards. Other things that are relatedly stupid: asking why American SWAT snipers didn't shoot the gun out of a hostage taker's hand, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Gropiemon posted:

If I've learned anything from reading gunchat is that this is literally impossible.

A lot of research has been done on blast/ballistic trauma in the past decade, but to know that cavitation and secondary missiles (bone or bullet fragments) ruin joints, you don't have to be familiar with any of it. Just go to the library and get a book on forensic pathology from the 50's.

• Locked thread