Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dilkington posted:

The rifle in question is the suppressed Ruger 10/22, presumably firing subsonic (slower, quieter) ammunition. The unsuppressed variant of the 10/22 is enormously popular in the United States, but if you do a little research, you'll find that it's not known for being accurate. Shooting low velocity ammunition from a standing position, I would not consider the 10/22 to be accurate enough beyond 75 yards to avoid accidentally hitting someone's femoral artery or kneecap. If you're shooting at someone within 75 yards, that begs the question: why not just use bean bag rounds or a pepper ball gun?

The 10/22 is perfectly accurate, and with aftermarket parts can be incredibly accurate. Past 75 yards I would imagine the wind and bullet drop inherent to .22 LR would limit practical accuracy more than the actual tolerances of the platform. (The reason they want to use bullets instead of less-lethal options is because they want to kill)

I'd imagine that they would be using a bipod, or at least a rest from prone position. The trick would be doping on the fly with such a ballistically limited cartridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Dilkington posted:

A lot of research has been done on blast/ballistic trauma in the past decade, but to know that cavitation and secondary missiles (bone or bullet fragments) ruin joints, you don't have to be familiar with any of it. Just go to the library and get a book on forensic pathology from the 50's.

no he means shooting someone in the kneecap with a .22LR rifle in any kind of real-life circumstance

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gravel Gravy posted:

It depends if you think the story of David and Goliath has any value to it.

That would explain the severe response.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Ask all those squirrels and chipmunks how non-lethal my .22 LR rounds. Oh wait you cant, they're dead :colbert:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shooting people with guns is bad.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

SedanChair posted:

The 10/22 is perfectly accurate, and with aftermarket parts can be incredibly accurate. Past 75 yards I would imagine the wind and bullet drop inherent to .22 LR would limit practical accuracy more than the actual tolerances of the platform. (The reason they want to use bullets instead of less-lethal options is because they want to kill)

I'd imagine that they would be using a bipod, or at least a rest from prone position. The trick would be doping on the fly with such a ballistically limited cartridge.

If the Israeli police are buying unmodified suppressed 10/22s (or borrowing them from the IDF) I bet they aren't getting barrels that shoot better than 2MOA.

I'm assuming they're using subsonic ammo, so at 75 yards you have bullets slowing down below 900fps and in general behaving badly.

Since this is the police and not the IDF, I also assume they aren't going to be picking out people in crowds while the rest of their squad covers- they're cops responding to calls to chase away teenagers. They're going to take shots while standing, maybe while rocks are being chucked at them.

All of this tells me they are going to end up shooting a lot of kneecaps, ankles, and femoral arteries.

Tokamak posted:

Shooting people with guns is bad.

I wouldn't go that far. It's overrated, sure.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Urzza posted:

I wonder if there was something lost in translation here. I could see someone claiming .22 was a less lethal option. They would be wrong, but that's a lot more understandable than calling it a non-lethal option, even more so if they where comparing it to something like 5.56.

here is a lil context

quote:

Israel began to import small caliber sniper rifles for “riot control” during the First Intifada. The intention was to deploy weapons that would be less lethal than its standard issue 5.56mm US-Israeli M16 assault rifle, but with more potent firepower than rubber-coated metal bullets (which have also killed). The IDF settled on the Ruger 10/22, which fired a relatively small, but high velocity 0.22 caliber rimfire cartridge that could be used “to take out key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.”

In 2001, following the killing of several children in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank by Israeli soldiers using the Ruger 10/22, the IDF Judge Advocate General ruled that the weapon should be classified as a live-fire weapon and banned from crowd control usage. ”The mistake was that the Ruger came to be seen as a means of dispersing demonstrations, in contrast to its original purpose as a weapon in every respect,” said a senior IDF officer.

Nevertheless, the Israeli security forces began to deploy the Ruger 10/22 again, with lethal effect, to suppress West Bank protests against the Apartheid Wall in 2008-09.

quote:

The Ruger 10/22 sniper rifle is back in use in the West Bank.

The weapon has been outlawed under Israeli law since 2001. It was deemed “more lethal than previously thought” by the Israeli occupation Judge Advocate General Menachem Finkelstein after it killed several children in Gaza during the second Intifada.

The reintroduction of the rifle marks a change in ideology by the Israeli army's Central Command.

Its use has been historically linked to escalations in demonstrations and protests in the West Bank, despite its reclassification as lethal. It also comes at a time when Israel has been receiving 'bad press’ and international condemnation in relation to its settlement policy. The use of the weapon, alongside the increasing use of live ammunition during protests, as a means to entice Palestinian demonstrators into violence should not be discarded as a reason behind its renewed usage.

Its introduction was intended to provide the Israeli army with a crowd-control weapon than was less lethal than the M-16, but with more 'stopping power’ than rubber-coated steel bullets (which, incidentally, have killed many Palestinians). The weapon fires a stubby metal bullet a quarter of an inch in diameter (0.22 calibre), with a typical velocity of around 405 meters a second. The M-16, by contrast fires a similar diameter round, but over twice as long, with a velocity of 990 meters a second.

Classification of the Ruger has sparked debate among military circles of the Israeli army.

It began as a 'non-lethal crowd control’ weapon, used to “take out key protestors by shooting them in the legs.”

However, following the ruling that it should be banned from use in crowd control situations due to its newly perceived lethality, the use of the Ruger was sharply reduced.

Historically, heads of the Israeli army’s Southern Command have favored the nonlethal definition, preferring to use the weapon when dealing with Palestinians in Gaza. The Israeli army Central Command, responsible for the West Bank, has been more critical of its use, citing the 'problem’ of causing unjustified Palestinian casualties when used indiscriminately. It was reclassified as an acceptable 'last resort’ when soldiers’ lives were in danger.

[...]

Its lethality also comes from the context in which it is used.

Soldiers will lie prone or rest on a wall to shoot the weapon, hidden from view and completely protected. The installation of a scope and suppressor has the aim of hitting people who do not stand as a threat to the shooter. In affect, Israeli soldiers can hit 'targets’ fully aware of their immunity from prosecution, from a safe distance and without a sound that can verify their position.

The use of the weapon is an all-round ploy to terrorize and kill Palestinian demonstrators, shoot without fear of prosecution, and yet still claim to be using a 'less-lethal form of crowd-control’ when under scrutiny by the international community.

quote:

In 1987, the Intifada – the Palestinian uprising against the Israeli regime in the Occupied Territories – broke out, and involved mass violent clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians protestors. As a result, the Israeli security forces needed a weapon with a more potent firepower then the standard riot control metal covered rubber round, but at the same time less lethal then the standard issue 5.56 mm round of the M16/Galil assault rifles. So the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a 0.22 caliber accurate rifle that will be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

The Ruger 10/22, fitted with a X4 day optic, a full length suppressor and a Harris bipod was selected for this role and was due to be issued to all infantry oriented units, including both special and conventional forces. However, as often happens in the shoestring budget IDF, financial problems prevented the weapon’s mass distribution, and it was mainly issued to Special Forces (SF) units. Moreover, instead of using the rifle as a riot control weapon, as originally intended, the Israeli SF deployed the Ruger 10/22 more as a “Hush Puppy” weapon used to silently and effectively eliminate disturbing dogs prior to operations.

In the recent Israeli-Palestinian clashes began in 2000, the Ruger resumes it’s original role as a less lethal riot control weapon. However, it’s usage in this role was rather controversial this time. After several incidents involving the death of Palestinians by the Ruger fire, the IDF conducted a field experiment in the Ruger at the IDF Sniper School in Mitkan Adam under the supervision of the IDF Judge Advocate General (JAG). The test showed that the Ruger was more lethal then thought especially in upper body injuries. Also, since it’s suppressed and was considered less lethal by the troops, the soldiers were much more likely to use the Ruger loosely then intended.

As a result of this test, the JAG reclassified the Ruger as a lethal weapon. As a lethal weapon, the usage of the Ruger in riot control is much more limited today. In the IDF Center Command it was completely prohibited to use and the IDF South Command it’s deployment was cut down dramatically.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
don't we already have an I/P thread

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

-Troika- posted:

don't we already have an I/P thread

Dr. Tough posted:

Wow I/P and gun-chat. Two great tastes that taste great together.

Calm your tits. This is an Israel-related topic but not (entirely) I/P related. There has been one IP slapfight and it was over someone saying people throwing rocks at armored crowd controllers deserve to be shot. There's been literally no gun slapfight, at all.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Nnnnnggghhhh struggling so hard right now not to post the "Snoop Pearson buys a nailgun" clip from 'The Wire'. You guys know the one I'm talking about ("motherfuckers get up in you like a pinball, rip yo' rear end up").

If the Israelis actually cared about de-escalating the violence, they would be all-but-encouraging Palestinian kids to throw rocks at their armored jeeps. Think of how amazingly cathartic that must be for those teens, to be able to feel like they're striking a blow (however small) against their oppressors and regaining their dignity for just a moment. Let them get it out of their system as kids and they'll be less likely to be spending their lives building piss-fueled rockets a few years down the line.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Liberal_L33t posted:

If the Israelis actually cared about de-escalating the violence, they would be all-but-encouraging Palestinian kids to throw rocks at their armored jeeps. Think of how amazingly cathartic that must be for those teens, to be able to feel like they're striking a blow (however small) against their oppressors and regaining their dignity for just a moment. Let them get it out of their system as kids and they'll be less likely to be spending their lives building piss-fueled rockets a few years down the line.

Golda Meir posted:

When peace comes we will perhaps in time be able to forgive the Arabs for killing our sons, but it will be harder for us to forgive them for having forced us to kill their sons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

No, they don't actually want to de-escalate the violence. Or else the illegal settlements would have stopped. And the land seizures. And the bombing of the ghettos.

They don't want peace. They want land.

quote:

Any one who speaks in favor of bringing the Arab refugees back must also say how he expects to take the responsibility for it, if he is interested in the state of Israel. It is better that things are stated clearly and plainly: We shall not let this happen. - Golda Meir

She's a hypocrite. She praises the independence of the Israelis while publicly denying the Palestinians the same rights they demand. Its basically a 'How dare they be offended that we oppress them' statement.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 25, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
e: weird, wrong tab

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Israel is stupid and so is this ruling. You can kill a man with nothing but a pointy piece of wood if you try hard enough. Just because most people couldn't hit the broad side of the Empire State Building with a .22LR round doesn't make it non-lethal.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Liberal_L33t posted:

Bad feelings or "capacity for violence" don't work that way. You don't have a limited amount of spleen that you can went by throwing rocks or whatever. Quite the opposite - if you engage in violence on a daily basis, for instance by throwing rocks at soldiers and civilians, it becomes a bit of a habit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ah yes the less lethal .22lr that was used in the Virginia Tech shooting. only 32 died and 17 were wounded

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The-Mole posted:

Ah yes the less lethal .22lr that was used in the Virginia Tech shooting. only 32 died and 17 were wounded

See? Not always lethal :v:

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Israel is stupid and so is this ruling. You can kill a man with nothing but a pointy piece of wood if you try hard enough. Just because most people couldn't hit the broad side of the Empire State Building with a .22LR round doesn't make it non-lethal.

22lr isn't inherently inaccurate, at short ranges at least - it's just slow and susceptible to wind drift.

I don't think anyone ever said .22lr is nonlethal. Most of the idiotic urban legends say it is more lethal because it "follows bones" or "bounces around inside the skull"or such nonsense. 22lr is just not as lethal compared to say 7.62, much like .410 birdshot is not as lethal as 12ga buckshot.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

tumblr.txt posted:

I don't think anyone ever said .22lr is nonlethal.

Well, besides the IDF.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
whatever happened to water cannons or good old teargas?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Richie loved to use 22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a 45, see, a 45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a 22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

Do you believe that it's proportionate and morally justifiable to use a sniper rifle to shoot a kid with stones and a sling?

I don't think I caught that episode of Deadliest Warrior

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Chomskyan posted:

Do you believe that it's proportionate and morally justifiable to use a sniper rifle to shoot a kid with stones and a sling?

"Sniper Rifle".

quote:

Before the introduction of the standard 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) cartridge in the 1950s, standard military cartridges were the .30-06 Springfield or 7.62×63mm (United States), .303 British (7.7×56mmR) (United Kingdom) and 7.92×57mm (8mm Mauser) (Germany). The .30-06 Springfield continued in service with U.S. Marine Corps snipers during the Vietnam War in the 1970s, well after general adoption of the 7.62×51mm. At the present time, in both the Western world and within NATO, 7.62×51mm is currently the primary cartridge of choice for military and police sniper rifles.

Worldwide, the trend is similar. The preferred sniper cartridge in Russia is another .30 caliber military cartridge, the 7.62×54 mm R, which has similar performance to the 7.62×51mm. This cartridge was introduced in 1891, and both Russian sniper rifles of the modern era, the Mosin–Nagant and the Dragunov sniper rifle, are chambered for it.

Sniper rifles fire the one on the right, or something like it (generally bigger). The Israelis are firing the one on the left. Calling a 10/22 a Sniper Rifle is misleading to the point of dishonesty.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Lots of goons simultaneously arguing that a .22 is absolutely a lethal round while sling-propelled projectiles are somehow not. Far from being a children's toy or just some means of killing small game, slings have been used in warfare for millenia. A sling bullet or a decently aerodynamic stone won't just stoat harmlessly off and leave a bruise. It can penetrate just like (well, okay not exactly like) a modern bullet would. "Sure, but what about body armour?" Like the greeks and romans weren't armoured up. Roman surgeons had forceps specifically for prying sling projectiles out of the wounds they created. Is it proportionate to fire on somebody attacking you with a weapon from classical antiquity? Yes, in exactly the same way you'd shoot someone if he charged you with a sword, knife or spear. Morally justifiable? If you're under threat, sure. I mean, I guess. I'm a pacifist myself, but most people consider killing in self-defence to be fair game.

Then again, if you're inside an armoured vehicle it's a completely other story. There's no loving way a slinger can touch you in there. And the Israeli border cops are among the most militarised police in the world. And I don't believe for a minute they would use "proportionate" force in any circumstance where overkill was an option. I'd have more respect for them in this situation if they just stated outright that they were shooting to kill with 7.62mm NATO - at least it would be honest, and there'd be none of this arse-covering nonsense about less-lethal varmint rounds. But then that would involve owning up to being the biggest bunch of arseholes since apartheid South Africa.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mossad loves the 22.....

For assassinations.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Xander77 posted:

Bad feelings or "capacity for violence" don't work that way. You don't have a limited amount of spleen that you can went by throwing rocks or whatever. Quite the opposite - if you engage in violence on a daily basis, for instance by throwing rocks at soldiers and civilians, it becomes a bit of a habit.

Wouldn't this apply to shooting people who are chucking rocks at cars and houses too?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 27, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tumblr.txt posted:

"Sniper Rifle".

Sniper rifles fire the one on the right, or something like it (generally bigger). The Israelis are firing the one on the left. Calling a 10/22 a Sniper Rifle is misleading to the point of dishonesty.

You're really arguing this isn't a sniper rifle?

Operator armed with the Ruger 10/22 Suppressed sniper rifle during the Israeli-Palestinian clashes in the Occupied Territories, October 2000.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Yes.

I could do the whole "evil black rifle vs wood hunting rifle" comparison, then incredibly reveal they're the same rifle but one looks scary, but it's been done to death.

Putting a scope on a .22 does not turn it into a sniper rifle.

e: while we're discussing gun terminology myths, no assault rifle has played a role in a US spree shooting in decades.

tumblr.txt fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 27, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

tumblr.txt posted:

While we're discussing gun terminology myths, no assault rifle has played a role in a US spree shooting since 2011

Fixed that for you. Not sure why you brought it up.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Got a link?

I only brought it up because a pet hate of mine is misusing firearms terminology for political reasons, and D&D loves to hate on "Assault rifles" despite many posters not actually knowing what they are.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

tumblr.txt posted:

Putting a scope on a .22 does not turn it into a sniper rifle.

I agree. And disagree. Israel wants to use suppressed, scoped rifles chambered in (for?) .22LR from positions of cover/concealment (as the IDF has historically used these rifles), using them to specifically target individuals “to take out key protest leaders". Shooters who specifically target individuals (a practice aided immensely by the presence of a magnifying scope, as the the .22LR will be outfitted by the IDF) can reasonably be described as "marksmen". A marksman who deliberately engages targets unaware of their presence (as the rifle was utilized by the IDF) is engaging in the practice known as "sniping". The gun is a "sniper rifle" in the sense that it is a rifle that is used from concealment by a marksman who fires on a specific, individual target who is unaware of the shooter's presence. I mean, unless you'd like to argue that the VSS Vintorez was not a "sniper rifle" because it fired 9x39 and only had a maximum range of around 400 meters.

Please do not be excessively pedantic about gun nametags; focus instead on the weapon's features and how it is (going to be) utilized.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 27, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

tumblr.txt posted:

Got a link?

I only brought it up because a pet hate of mine is misusing firearms terminology for political reasons, and D&D loves to hate on "Assault rifles" despite many posters not actually knowing what they are.

The IHOP shootings. I suppose you could get really technical and say it didn't count because it was semi auto, but it was done with a MAK-90.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The IHOP shootings. I suppose you could get really technical and say it didn't count because it was semi auto, but it was done with a MAK-90.

No, you see the MAK-90 isn't an assault rifle because it's only semi-auto. Clearly you're just some gun-grabbing liberal who's afraid of scary "assault rifle" styling on what is only and exclusively a hunting and home defense weapon. :rolleyes:

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 27, 2015

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

E: Actually, the whole sniper rifle/assault rifle designation discussion in this thread is not relevant and this is already the beginning of a silly derail. Disregard.

I hope the guys shooting these things are pretty good marksmen, though.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 27, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Faffel posted:

E: Actually, the whole sniper rifle/assault rifle designation discussion in this thread is not relevant and this is already the beginning of a silly derail. Disregard.

Well, to be honest, gunchat was saving us from the usual I/P shitshow.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So what about gun control in Israel?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Bingo. Not being semi-auto only is one of the key things that actually defines an assault rifle. Nothing "technical" about it, that's part of the actual definition - not "scary looking gun I'm afraid of".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This is the worst.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

tumblr.txt posted:

Bingo. Not being semi-auto only is one of the key things that actually defines an assault rifle. Nothing "technical" about it, that's part of the actual definition - not "scary looking gun I'm afraid of".

Who gives a poo poo about how TFR wants to define an assault rifle or any other weapon. Normal people include semi-autonatics:
Collins:

quote:

(mainly US) a semiautomatic firearm with additional features such as a large magazine, a bayonet fitting, etc
Mirriam-Webster:

quote:

Assault rifle

noun

: a gun that can shoot many bullets quickly and that is designed for use by the military

Full Definition

:any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use

It's loving stupid and just serves to bog down arguments about substantive points. (I know I'm engaging in it too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Restricting assault hunting rifles to semi-auto makes mass shooters more efficient, when you think about it. I'm pretty sure if they could flick their assault weapon recreational firearm over to full auto they'd miss with a lot more shots, reload more often and waste the odd round on twitching, supine victims who're already dead or mortally wounded. Surely what we should be campaigning for is mandatory full auto for all commercially available firearms to minimize the risk of a calm, collected spree shooter picking his shots with comparative accuracy and deliberation. We could even force them to be rechambered to these non-lethal .22 rounds to further minimise harm. Although, personally I'm of the opinion that guns are too expensive and everyone should have a means of credible self-defence. So what I'm saying is we should give everybody slings. And then take the guns away to level the playing field.

So yes, guns should be banned. Especially in Israel.

• Locked thread