Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Also, Ocelot, there's a third reason why the truth serum isn't working. Have a think and see if you can come up with something.
Of course! He has prototypes of truth serum canceling nanomachines in his blood. It's so obvious.

I actually don't know what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I had no idea that Konami added that penalty for going offline.
They are really trying their hardest to burn all the bridges, aren't they?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Air is lava! posted:

Of course! He has prototypes of truth serum canceling nanomachines in his blood. It's so obvious.

I actually don't know what you mean.

He could be telling the truth.

E: I'm calling it now. Ocelot is the traitor. Once a double agent, always a double agent. And it was awfully convenient of him to show up just when Snake got out of the hospital, wasn't it?

Philippe fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2016

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
Grizzly Hedgehog? Spitting Sloth? I glad to see the terrible soldier names continue

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

Huey is such a whiny nerd. "Nooo! Gimme back my leegs. :(" Does anyone actually like that dude?

Behind the scenes fact: I originally said something to the effect of "I'm taking your legs, NERD" when Snake cuts the cable, on top of other "NEEERDS" quips but I edited the majority of them out. I felt like I was gonna be those LPers that just never shut up and always have a "witty" quip :shobon:

Da_Higg posted:

Grizzly Hedgehog? Spitting Sloth? I glad to see the terrible soldier names continue

Why do I imagine Grizzly the Hedgehog being someone's Deviantart OC

I wonder what it re- d'aaaw :3:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I have a non-plot related question.

When Snake's wearing his standard outfit, he's got a long piece of his combat webbing that hangs down from his butt. What's up with that?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I have a non-plot related question.

When Snake's wearing his standard outfit, he's got a long piece of his combat webbing that hangs down from his butt. What's up with that?

There are 2 camps about the belt hanging from his back

1: Its meant to be a tail, the shrapnel being his horn which gives him more of a demonic appearance

2: Its what he uses to strap himself to the chopper or a fulton balloon

I wouldn't be surprised if its supposed to be both

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's his chopper strap and quick release. I've worn similar kit in a helicopter.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Leal posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if its supposed to be both

It's Kojima, so it's obviously both. Thank you.

E: Wait, can you extract through Fulton Recovery in this game?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's Kojima, so it's obviously both. Thank you.

E: Wait, can you extract through Fulton Recovery in this game?

No you can't. It's a bit weird, since even Dhorse can do that, but I guess that would be slightly overpowered.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
At least not directly. You can be extracted if you stay on top of a raw materials crate while it gets fultoned.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

ThornBrain posted:

At least not directly. You can be extracted if you stay on top of a raw materials crate while it gets fultoned.

Only when using the wormhole fulton, though, and that's a ways off yet. Mentioning this so we don't waste hours of the OP's time while he tries to find the exact spot on a container that'll keep him from falling off when it goes into the air.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
No, you can follow it even before that, you just have to make sure to hold onto the wire. You can also fulton yourself via the "Return to ACC" button in the menu.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Basically just get on a crate, strap a balloon on and keep holding the action button and you're flying out in style.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I've been playing along with this LP and have discovered a ~fun fact~. If you exit the mission area while carrying Emmerich in hopes of getting away from the mecha, it will fail you. Not only will it fail you, but it will dump you back into free roam mode, and you have to start the mission over from scratch. There's no way to load your last checkpoint, because the game considers "your last checkpoint" when you aborted the mission and entered free roam mode.

I'm, uh, going to take a break from this game.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 28, 2016

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

If you're not using D Dog I'll be disappointed

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Doopliss posted:

I've been playing along with this LP and have discovered a ~fun fact~. If you exit the mission area while carrying Ocelot in hopes of getting away from the mecha, it will fail you. Not only will it fail you, but it will dump you back into free roam mode, and you have to start the mission over from scratch. There's no way to load your last checkpoint, because the game considers "your last checkpoint" when you aborted the mission and entered free roam mode.

I'm, uh, going to take a break from this game.

...you would hope the game would give you some kind of very explicit warning or simply prevent you from doing this, since the obvious/clever thing to do is NOT go tramping through a bunch of dudes into a canyon funnel with a giant murderous robot chasing you, and other games in the series have explicitly rewarded non-standard tactics from time to time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 12 :siren:

Today we steal a bunch of Russian vehicles.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
:staredog: That final scene...

ThatPirateguy
Mar 18, 2015
I loved that mission. I remember trying to do it as fast as possible with "Take on me" looping in the backround taking out the tank from afar with a rocket launcher.

The prisonners were a pain to find. Especially since they're all so spread out and the fact that the tanks can leave the mission area.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dooky Dingo posted:

:staredog: That final scene...

You can't see a shot like that happen and not fall in love

ThatPirateguy posted:

The prisonners were a pain to find. Especially since they're all so spread out and the fact that the tanks can leave the mission area.

Yeah, DDog is needed for that. Online gives no help because everyone just says "Oh run here to find this prisoner" and show where the prisoners are when the missions STARTS, it doesn't say where the prisoners end up though. Once again, worthless advice online with people, say, suggesting you come back to mission 6 after you get end game weaponry to kill the helicopter.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 13 :siren:

I said I was going to do a side ops video, but the side ops just wouldn't end. Here is a main mission video

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
What video software do you use? Cropping the subtitles onto the video is probably a lot cleaner than blocking a quarter of the screen with the tape menu, especially in an area we haven't seen yet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I use Adobe Premier Elements 14, I can start putting in subtitles for the cassette tapes. My intent wasn't to expect people to strain their eyes looking at the corner, I felt it was a neat effect :shobon:

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
As a native Dutch speaker, hearing Afrikaans is weird as hell. It sounds like it *should* be Dutch except the sentence structure is off, there's tonal shifts where there shouldn't be, the accent makes no sense and that's not how you conjugate... I can understand what they're saying, I just keep going "WTF, where did you learn dutch?"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe Leal should extract you to be his interpreter. Go for a balloon ride, it'll be fun!

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
.. Not a good idea.

When what they're saying in Afrikaans translates to "We have an intruder, taking fire, send backup", what I hear in Dutch is the rough equivalent of "Us hab' intruder, we's being shot, send help!" in a bad stereotype accent.

It's kind of disturbing, really.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Frankly, that's just what it sounds like to be a German who hears Dutch. And to a lesser extend Afrikaans. Except that you often replace words by things which sound like made up nonsense, or pig Latin.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 6, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So he sounds like CHAPPiE is what you're saying.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 14 :siren:

This mission... I didn't like this mission :T

Also I tried subtitling the cassette tapes, let me know how that worked out

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 13, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Speculation:

Okay, so they're foreshadowing Les Enfants Terribles and how Cipher is pursuing cloning technology. Are we going to run into Big Boss's children in this game? Is that why David Hayter isn't playing Snake anymore?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The cassette tape subtitles are a lot better than the box in the corner.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 15 :siren:

Today we take Quiet out for a date. Sorry for the delay, my nephew is currently at the "cries for literally no reason" stage of being a child, and this kid apparently only sleeps after I go to sleep and while I'm at work cause he is always awake when I try to record commentary.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
*Last few seconds with Quiet info*
:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMukKqx-Os&t=97s 1:37-1:40 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

*Last few seconds with Quiet info*
:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMukKqx-Os&t=97s 1:37-1:40 if the timestamp doesn't work.

The title of the video had me slightly worried.

So hey about the thread title, I was going to explain this when I posted the video but was short on time and had to run to work. It is a reference to the gunsmithing, there was a very, VERY entertaining bug in the PC version of the game: By selecting an attachment on one gun then going to another gun with a locked customization slot and using the mouse to select it it would equip that customization to the weapon. So this led to things like 200 round sniper rifles, carbines rapid firing shotgun shells, and even silencing rocket launchers that launched anesthetic rounds to silently put guards to sleep. It also had some useful options like equipping a silencer on the rubber bullet rifle or impressing Ocelot with your 200 round revolver, more then enough to kill anything that moves.

Someone posted a picture of a grenade with a silencer attached to it, which was so absurd that I loved it. Sadly the picture itself wasn't from MGS5 but Payday 2 :saddowns:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I saw noting strange about your driving skills, but then again I played Farcry 2. :v:

I'm hoping you're going to show off all of quiet's idle animations, if only for the satisfaction I derive from a bunch of goon :stonk: reactions

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Leal posted:

The title of the video had me slightly worried.

So hey about the thread title, I was going to explain this when I posted the video but was short on time and had to run to work. It is a reference to the gunsmithing, there was a very, VERY entertaining bug in the PC version of the game: By selecting an attachment on one gun then going to another gun with a locked customization slot and using the mouse to select it it would equip that customization to the weapon. So this led to things like 200 round sniper rifles, carbines rapid firing shotgun shells, and even silencing rocket launchers that launched anesthetic rounds to silently put guards to sleep. It also had some useful options like equipping a silencer on the rubber bullet rifle or impressing Ocelot with your 200 round revolver, more then enough to kill anything that moves.

Someone posted a picture of a grenade with a silencer attached to it, which was so absurd that I loved it. Sadly the picture itself wasn't from MGS5 but Payday 2 :saddowns:

Oh, that makes sense.

Is there still a Fulton rocket launcher in this game?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Quiet is a great companion. She can scout out an entire base by herself, and kill roughly 90% of its occupants before you ever get close if you ask her to. But that default outfit... My first reaction was "Kojima, dude... Gethelp."

Luckily, as you increase her buddy level you unlock some additional outfits that actually look decent. Once I had one, I switched her to it, story reasons be damned. She's badass and sexy and she's still badass and sexy even when she's wearing combat fatigues rather than lingerie.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
This mission is really short if you just carpet bomb the general area of the walkers.

You can clearly see that the soldiers want to voice some complaints about her being around, but for now they're keeping Quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Oh, that makes sense.

Is there still a Fulton rocket launcher in this game?

Yes but sadly it's one of the many weapons added later in patches meaning it requires astronomically high levels to develop.

In contrast, Peace Walker had a fulton launcher that you could acquire from one of the side ops

• Locked thread