Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bonus Videos

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

THREAD CONTEST BULLSHIT

All winners of thread contests will win 1 FREE copy of John Romero's DAIKATANA for Steam msrp $1.74. And you need that free copy of John Romero's DAIKATANA because all contest winners will be invited to make a guest appearance in the video for E4 Deathmatch! Winners can pass on the prize if they are bitches.

CONTEST ARE CLOSED. WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON.

Contest one: make an art of Usagi Miyamoto

Entrants:

Koishi Komeiji

NextSundayA.D. <---WINNER!

Silento Boborachi

Contest two: who is your waifu, and why?

Entrants:

Alexeythegreat - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3743712&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post454300904

ModeWondershot - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743712&pagenumber=4#post454503835

HOTLANTA MAN - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3743712&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post454526559

CommissarMega - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3743712&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post454565707 <---WINNER!

Silento Boborachi - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743712&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post454797794

CragiK - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743712&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post454800049

Chronojam - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3743712&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post455346427

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 30, 2016

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

also im glad they decided to differentiate so well in the first level

green plants, green walls, green water, greenish weapons

its truly memorable

The Ion Blaster is not green it is greenish-brown I'll have you know.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's good to see this... back? Yeah, back. This game is unbearably ugly and in some ways I think it's even worse in HD since there's no hardware excuses for the way it looks, like being able to see a pimple on an actor's face in 1080p that used to be totally covered by makeup under 480i only 1000x worse. Try watching the old LP of this on the Let's Play Archive and you'll see what I mean.

As should be no surprise, the ugliness is more of an art direction thing than the game having bad textures. Sure all the textures are low-rez but the colors and the lighting are going to look just as horrible no matter what. And holy poo poo actually playing this game with a small resolution at a 4:3 aspect ratio is a nightmare. The HUD especially is really big and distracting at low resolution and 4:3.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

When did John Romero make a cameo on Bar Simpson's Bizarre Adventure? I don't remember that one.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

You know, they were never clear as to exactly what we're supposed to be sucking down. Does anyone have any idea as to what "it" is exactly?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Well, John Romero is making us his bitch...

:cumpolice:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious posted:

The rockets he's expertly nailing you with in a high speed deathmatch, of course.

1v1 me bro

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

You know, LP's usually have wordy intros these days, but you really said all that needed to be said.

Yeah that's exactly why I went with such a minimalist approach.Most people don't read all the words and with Daikatana, you don't need to say anything that's not said better in The Ad.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

TubeStank posted:

what does daikatana mean anyway? or is it just a cool mashup of "die" and "katana"

Big Sword. Not "great sword" as that would mean something in this game makes sense.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 24, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

I was hoping to retort "no, it's on the first google search page", but no, it's not.

You're right. :eng99:

It looks like you have been made someone's bitch.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

So I mentioned in the video that Superfly's original writer originally made him not nearly as racist. Well that all comes from a pretty cool article that the writer dude wrote about his involvement with John Romero and his DAIKATANA:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:s5vZSLvoNkMJ:www.salon.com/2002/01/02/ion_storm/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Koishi Komeiji posted:

You said to repost the U-Socky Mio-Motor thing from the last thread so here:

I'll update the second post with contest poo poo when I feel like it. Which should be tomorrow.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

... you won't be offering copies of Daikatana will you?

Please don't offer copies Daikatana as prizes.

You do not need to accept your copy of DAIKATANA if you win.

edit: I updated the second post with the contest info.

I also put in the beautiful art of Usagi Miyamoto that someone made for that other lp.

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 11, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

So to both of the people still watching this poo poo, I kinda made some really stupid promises in the next video that I decided were really, really bad ideas so I've decided to rerecord. If all goes well I'll have it up by the end of the week.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I recorded this poo poo 4 hours ago.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Mr. Soop posted:

And just think, you guys still have a whole 3 full episodes to go. :allears:

Episodes 2, 3 and 4 are much shorter and easier I'm sad to say.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I also fixed the audio for how2daikatana. So if my lovely mic was getting in the way of your DAIKATANAing then you no longer have that excuse.

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 24, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Rectus posted:

John Romero made me his bitch waifu.

SADLY JOHN ROMERO HAS A 3D WAIFU (GROSS I KNOW).

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

TRIKATANA CONFRIMED FOR SMASH.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Also we'll be recording Deathmatch tonight. Hopefully that goes well and I'll be able to get that video out before E2M1 goes up.

We asked John "Deathmatch Daddy" Romero if he wanted to play with us but he did not respond.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

So uh... That was Deathmatch.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Handuar posted:

While we wait for the next video I have a great announcement that showed up in my email two hours ago.

That's so hosed up.

But not as hosed up as what's being delivered later today, the E1DM video!

edit: chip cheezum posted this on twitter. Thought it was relevant:

DoctorStrangelove fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 5, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I played Quake 3 with a trackball back in the day. No joystick. It was, not as bad as you'd expect once you got used to it, but a proper mouse is still superior.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DM would have been good if it wasn't for the maps sucking rear end (most of the official maps are acceptable, we got really unlucky) and for the C4 Vizatergo being OP as gently caress. E2 doesn't have any C4 equivalent but there is one weapon in E2 that will probably make DM a big mess.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Handuar posted:

Careful now, anime is no joke, it can wreck your life.

This is correct. Anime related head-injuries are no laughing matter.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

TubeStank posted:

unreal 2k4 >>>>>> any quake and that's a fact jack

:agreed:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Big news everyone!

Square Enix, makers of such fine software products as Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 have deemed it appropriate to put DAIKATANA on sale on Steam for only $1.74! :wow: You can get it right here - http://store.steampowered.com/app/242980/ and experience the legend for yourself instead of having to do it vicariously through me and my friends.

If $1.74 is still too much then you can get a free copy from one of the thread contests. Contest winners will also be able to appear in the Deathmatch video for Episode 4. See second post for details.

Also CQC's going on vacation next week and by the time he gets back it will be the last week of class for me so the Deathmatch video for Episode 2 might get delayed. But fortunately we were able to do commentary on the truly epic E2M4 already so there's not stopping that train.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I don't usually like to attach posts to the videos but I feel like I need to for this one. This is probably the most important episode in the whole LP, it's both the longest and worst level in the game and everything imaginable goes wrong in the worst way possible. I get that the 45 minute length is intimidating but you really do want to watch this one through to the end.

Second, I do have the next video all ready to go but because of my finals and other issues it might be a while after that one goes up before we can the E2DM and E3M1 videos up.

Third, ETA on The Stalin Subway is Eventually.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Does the daikatana stop hoovering XP once its fully levelled up, or is it set to permanently halt any stat growth the MC has whenever he uses it?

I read this post and jumped into DAIKATANA to test this for myself before I realized exactly how many things I would need to kill with the piece of junk before I actually reach level 5.

Superanos posted:

It will steal XP forever. So you get it up to level 5 when it's actually useful and... then you don't want to use it because it steals your levels. What a horrible weapon.

So thanks for this post! Yeah it is not thought out at all, much like pretty much every other aspect of the game.

I also just got finished making the PRO AEGIS KEY SPEEDRUN #AGDQ2K16 video and holy poo poo, there is no intended path through the aegis key. I need to have points in acro and rocket jumping ability for that puzzle to make any sense.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

DA PANET EARF posted:

This is important, trust me.

Handuar posted:

Cultural Phenomenon, I enjoyed it.

Tune in tomorrow evening for some bonus content!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Oh hey stuff!

First off I've made a guest appearance in lazyfire/Broman's LP of Republic Commando: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754178&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post454022137 Come to see what a game with decent compainion AI looks like, stay to listen to a pair of fuckheads talk about bad movies.

hmm, fuckheads talking about bad movies, there's an idea!

Yep, this happened. Come and listen to me, Handuar, CQC and a few of our friends watch what I am convinced is the biggest train-wreck in the history of Chinese Cartoons. Seriously Garzey's Wing was more well thought out than this. If this goes over well then expect to see more of us documenting our terrible anime experiences in future bonus videos. Also if you really don't have 90 minutes to waste on this garbage then just skip to 1:29:30 for the best part. gently caress you handuar

And if Handuar actually gets his dinner in a timely fashion and CQC finishes seeing the star war then we'll hope to do E2DM tonight. We get the privilege of enduring two poo poo-shows in as many days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Handuar posted:

We re-recorded e2dm, CQC's accent was overwhelming and all you could hear from him was clicks.

Both E2DM videos are going up later tonight. After VGCW.

• Locked thread