Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDLunQB044

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Schnorkles posted:

we watched the mini-series in sci-fi class in highschool and it got just to the point where whats her name got her loving huge baps out and there was a lot of humming and hawing and the movie got turned off :(

sci-fi . class .

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

we watched the mini-series in sci-fi class in highschool and it got just to the point where whats her name got her loving huge baps out and there was a lot of humming and hawing and the movie got turned off :(

Just post them already

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I can't remember anything about the miniseries except the blue within blue eyes looked worse than lynch dune and the costuming was loving uninspired

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Just post them already

hemophilia posted:

I can't remember anything about the miniseries except the blue within blue eyes looked worse than lynch dune and the costuming was loving uninspired

Well Syfy always has threadbare budgets for their production, would be great if one of the bigger networks such as HBO picked it up as big budget show.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Her StillSuit is going to need some underwire support.

Water mingling....

Sex Pun.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
remember the toooooooooooooooooooooooth

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

More like arRACKis, amirite :eyepop:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

More like arRACKis, amirite :eyepop:

We have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen! :dong:

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Do real live jihad girls got them big boobs even when they living in caves in afhganthestan in rl? i bet they doan

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BurnBlackJay posted:

Do real live jihad girls got them big boobs even when they living in caves in afhganthestan in rl? i bet they doan

Depends on whom the producers are. :v:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

did that more recent attempt to make a dune movie die totally? i remember there being buzz about a new dune project 5 years ago

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

hemophilia posted:

did that more recent attempt to make a dune movie die totally? i remember there being buzz about a new dune project 5 years ago

Probably

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I never got the appeal of dune. It seemed pretty formulaic and boring to me.

It was a pretty good RTS for its time, tho.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

I never got the appeal of dune. It seemed pretty formulaic and boring to me.

It was a pretty good RTS for its time, tho.

Probably because it was the first novel to do a ton of poo poo that's now common in sci-fi

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

hemophilia posted:

The likelihood of Hollywood making a Dune movie as long as the USA is at war with Islamic militants is basically zero

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Milk me human.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

SECTOR SIX, 80, COPY THE SIXTH, THE SUM OF THE EIGHTH, THE QUADRANT OVER THE NINTH, PLUS 80, FOUR CIRCLES, WEAVE THE 80 AND CALL THE FOURTH, COPY

EIGHT! THUFIR HAWAT, MENTAT, MASTER OF ASSASSINS

gently caress it, i'm watching it again on the weekend. is the 'extended edition' any good?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Clipperton posted:

is the 'extended edition' any good?

loving NO

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Get back to the spice mines you dirty Fremen.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

i've seen the 'alan smithee' three hour version and that was rubbish, but isn't there another version (fan edit maybe?) that puts the deleted scenes back in without the other nonsense

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

hemophilia posted:

the costuming was loving uninspired

The Atreides uniforms and the still suits are rear end ugly, especially compared to Lynch's version but some of the Harkonnen/Corrino outfits own. Irulan's hats are the best thing about the miniseries. The worst thing is Paul being a whiny, edgy little bitch boy who never shuts up in his shrieky voice

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

skasion posted:

The Atreides uniforms and the still suits are rear end ugly, especially compared to Lynch's version but some of the Harkonnen/Corrino outfits own. Irulan's hats are the best thing about the miniseries. The worst thing is Paul being a whiny, edgy little bitch boy who never shuts up in his shrieky voice

I do like the Swiss Guard-looking Sardukar, although I will admit they should have made them a bit more sci-fi, like the bit in The 5th Element where the military guys and the lab techs go under the UV light and you see that their traditional-looking garb is loaded with circuits.

Of course, none of them even compare to the "S&M Samurai" look from the stillborn Jodorowsky project.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 1, 2015

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

skasion posted:

The likelihood of Hollywood making a Dune movie as long as the USA is at war with Islamic militants is basically zero

The Children Of Dune miniseries happened in a post 9/11 world. It was just really bad.

There are plenty of real issues w/r/t the filmability/adaptability of the material that speculation about it being related to 9/11 or terrorism fear nonsense seems pretty kneejerk

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

hemophilia posted:

The Children Of Dune miniseries happened in a post 9/11 world. It was just really bad.

There are plenty of real issues w/r/t the filmability/adaptability of the material that speculation about it being related to 9/11 or terrorism fear nonsense seems pretty kneejerk

It's more that no studio head is gonna sign off on spending five years and zillions of dollars making a grandiose space opera attempt to convince Americans that they should root for the apocalyptic desert jihadist fighting and winning against the remote, degenerate, materialistic evil empire in a war of blind faith vs greed and complacency as long as the same thing is literally happening in the real world

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I read the first dune book and it was pretty good but not the amazing experience I expected. Also lol at the people who said that it's so extremely long its pretty average.

Anyway what are the good sequels I should read??

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Son of Rodney posted:

I read the first dune book and it was pretty good but not the amazing experience I expected. Also lol at the people who said that it's so extremely long its pretty average.

Anyway what are the good sequels I should read??

Everything up before Chapterhouse is alright, but on a downward slope of quality

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

1 is a classic
2 and 3 are decent
4 is a cool and weird
5&6 ...he really needed money.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm not sure if Dune works as a movie. It would have to be a long rear end movie that doesn't have a lot of action. A good part of the book is just people sitting at tables studying each others' body language to see if they're plotting against each other.

The David Lynch movie is fairly faithful to the book, but makes no sense unless you read the actual said book.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

pictured: a bitcoin mining rig from the far future

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Universe Master posted:

1 is a classic
2 and 3 are decent
4 is a cool and weird
5&6 ...he really needed money.

Wasn't there a rumor his wife wrote Chapterhouse and Heretics?

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Chapterhouse and Heretics had an over the top fanficy quality to them that was entertaining to me. Really more like The Metabarons than Dune though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not sure if Dune works as a movie. It would have to be a long rear end movie that doesn't have a lot of action. A good part of the book is just people sitting at tables studying each others' body language to see if they're plotting against each other.

The David Lynch movie is fairly faithful to the book, but makes no sense unless you read the actual said book.

Someone said this in the last thread and it's absolutely true. There's too much head-dialog, too little action, the settings are too grandiose and the plot is too convoluted to really be told faithfully and interestingly in the timespan of a traditional film. The Lynch film does a decent job of condensing what's important, but like you said, it loses a LOT if you haven't read the book first - and it's cheesy as gently caress. The miniseries had the right idea but again, it was hampered by its shoestring budget and in a lot of ways it's also really loving cheeseball - early 2000s TV sci-fi cheeseball, which is worse.

I heard rumours a few years back that Hollywood had a remake on the table, and was really on-the-fence about it. I thought about giant sound-cannons and sandworms wrecking poo poo up and I was like "yeah let's do it" but I don't think there's a living director that could pull it off properly so now I'm like "good, let's leave it to the books and a thread on SA every few months."

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Being a guild navigator looks amazing

Put me in a jar and fill it with spice

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

We have just folded space from Ix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Being a guild navigator looks amazing

Put me in a jar and fill it with spice

would own getting hotboxed for a living.

• Locked thread