Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This was a pretty good episode-the Wiseguy joke with him just typing on the disconnected computer to help him think was classic season quality. However, I'm mostly amused by how easily offended the AV Club reviewer for this one was:

Dennis Perkins posted:

Similarly, Futurama vet Odenkirk crams in a deeply ill-advised and offensive visual gag about Bart fishing for literally two-dimensionally thin runway models with a hot dog on a string. (Perhaps confessing to the Futurama absurdity of the gag—even there, it’d still be too cruel—a conspicuously 30th century suction tube comes out of nowhere and whisks the paper-thin models out of the episode entirely.)

This is coming from a site that routinely gives glowing reviews to countless very mean spirited (and extremely well done) comedies, like It's Always Sunny. Why is the line all of a sudden drawn here for a silly visual joke on The Simpsons? It's completely inexplicable. Frankly, I'd save the term "deeply ill-advised" for if I were witnessing something like this from Mad Men.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

The only extremely bad episode this season was, sadly, the premiere.

Since 20, there's usually been two, three, or four mind-boggling awful episodes per season that made me wonder how they moved passed the story pitching phase.

So, this has been quite decent of a season so far. Hopefully, Sunday's episode with the extra live bits won't ruin it.

I always find it crazy how there's two or three episodes a year that would fit in with the classic era pretty comfortably. The quality difference can be massive at times from episode to episode.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Those are usually the two or three episodes made each year where Matt Selman is listed as the lead executive producer. His episodes always seem to have that extra degree of polish that most episodes lack. Kind of sad to think that a little staff shakeup could put the show back on track but it will never happen.

Matt Selman really should've ousted Al Jean about five (or ten [or twelve]) years ago. I really don't understand why the rotating EP system of the classic seasons effectively ended with Jean's second reign in season 13. The system worked, and what was nice about it is each EP really brought their own style to the show.

Or actually, the system worked until it didn't, and we got Scully. But overall, it mostly worked.

• Locked thread