Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

has anyoen posted about how Philips stopped working with other ZigBee products yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

i think it was posted about in the tech bauble thread. philips said they released the update, which just happened to block access to competitors, "in good faith". they've since rolled it back due to "customer concerns"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sniep posted:

or just stop buying a consumer tv and pay the small premium for a commercial display

commercial displays are smart tvs now too because it's cheaper to not support multiple software versions

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

honest question: is any of this "automation" and its attendant pain and misery actually solving anything that isn't solved by not being a lazy gently caress and using the light switch on the wall or placing your key in the lock and turning?

I feel like this is a legit question so I'll take a shot at answering it with the YOSPOS bullshit aside.

legit reasons for smart home fuckery
  • If you have a second home, vacation property, elderly or otherwise disabled relatives that you're responsible for, or are a landlord or some sort. Having the ability to monitor a remote property with alerts for poo poo going wrong is crazy useful, and it's the reason why the guy that started SmartThings developed the product (according to him). He wove a story about power outages and water leaks, only to have it pointed out that his system stops working when the power goes out and would have done fuckall to solve his stated problem case. The v2 hub includes batteries largely for this reason.
  • If you have physical disabilities or you're just a huge lazy sack of poo poo
  • If you have a very large house where keeping track of which windows need to be closed before turning on the AC or locking all the doors or turning off all the lights can be a problem

The only other reason I'm aware of is being a giant goddamn sperg who just likes to program poo poo around them because it's fun. This is my own use case. It's even more fun with more things to make talk to each other in stupid and non-obvious ways.

stupid reasons for said fuckery
  • You need a security system and you think rolling your own is a good idea. It's not.
  • You think that using your phone for every single interaction you make in your house is a good idea. It isn't.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

One cool fuckin thing you can do now that wasn't available earlier is voice control of everything using the Amazon Echo. We have one large room in our house that is our kitchen, dining room, living room, and my wife's office. Placing the Echo in that room allows for voice control of a shitload of things and it's particularly useful in the kitchen. "Alexa, how many tablespoons are in a cup", or "Alexa, set a timer for 5 minutes", or "Alexa, turn off the TV", or "Alexa turn off the front door lock", or "Alexa put paper towel on the shopping list", or "Alexa, play some John Coltrane", or "Alexa set the dining room lights to 50 percent" are all pretty drat handy. "Alexa, how are the Detroit Lions doing" or "Alexa what's the weather" is handy if I'm having a good day and need to be reminded that the rest of the world is still awful. Through some fuckery I can make her control drat near everything in my house, and it can be useful for situations (like in the kitchen) where you have your hands full and the thing you need to interact with is across the room.

Of all the stupid crap I've deployed around the house, the Echo is the only thing that the rest of the family regularly and purposefully interacts with. The rest of the things mostly blend into the background (as they should), but the Alexa is one "win" I've had where everyone immediately understands the use cases and how to interact with them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
thanks, i was curious. the only places i've seen home automation actually be useful rather than a pain in the dick were new construction, where the builder installed some proprietary system for lights, thermostat, security, and audio. they worked, but as an appliance, not an extensible system (which to be fair, seems to be why they worked at all).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
posting the classic 1999 speculative fiction movie on this subject for the new thread

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

thanks, i was curious. the only places i've seen home automation actually be useful rather than a pain in the dick were new construction, where the builder installed some proprietary system for lights, thermostat, security, and audio. they worked, but as an appliance, not an extensible system (which to be fair, seems to be why they worked at all).

Most of the actually useable use cases are mostly down to convenience or laziness. I have no problem with that - I will spend untold hours getting something working so i can save myself 15 seconds of walking across a room to press butan. I don't operate under any misconception that it's much more than that, by and large home automation is good for enabling laziness and that's pretty useful all on it's own.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

what's pro as gently caress about this is that it still works. that's a picture of an installed, running system from the 1980s and it's still doing just fine. i do enjoy the results of all my smarthome fuckery, but if I die I give it a couple weeks before lack of janitoring has the whole thing falling over.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's what i was talking about, with home automation as an appliance. as long as it's a closed system, designed and built from the ground up within the house, it works, and reliably enough to actually be useful.

this off-the-shelf/diy stuff makes desktop linux look useable in comparison. you have to constantly gently caress with it just to maintain basic operation

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Sniep posted:

more like fart homes

I have an in-house solution for this

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

that's what i was talking about, with home automation as an appliance. as long as it's a closed system, designed and built from the ground up within the house, it works, and reliably enough to actually be useful.

this off-the-shelf/diy stuff makes desktop linux look useable in comparison. you have to constantly gently caress with it just to maintain basic operation
agreed on all accounts. if you want HA to be reliable, usable, reliable, stable, and reliable, then you want a dealer installed system (Crestron, et al). you'll also need a couple zillion kicking around to make it happen, but it'll work. if you're a poor like myself you'll linux up a pile of ill-advised garb and hope for the best.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Last month I bought a zwave lock for my front door, the only problem is that openHAB doesn't support the zwave security classes to make it work.
Thankfully, the internet has a workaround! http://wetwa.re/?p=136
Now, when I tell siri "hey siri, unlock the front door" the workflow is:

apple watch -> iphone -> homebridge -> openhab -> mosquitto -> mqttwarn -> z-way-server -> door lock

What kind of philistine would turn on a light bulb at the wall switch when you could have this bulletproof, flexible and easily configurable system instead?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Visual GNUdio posted:

agreed on all accounts. if you want HA to be reliable, usable, reliable, stable, and reliable, then you want a dealer installed system (Crestron, et al). you'll also need a couple zillion kicking around to make it happen, but it'll work. if you're a poor like myself you'll linux up a pile of ill-advised garb and hope for the best.

i guess. we have a big amx system in our office and individual components will fail often enough for people to notice, and you can't really be expected to fix it yourself. you gotta call up the amx guys to come out

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Would that have a remote or even multiple inputs?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

vats is for contard scrubs

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

maniacdevnull posted:

Would that have a remote or even multiple inputs?

universal should work and probably not

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

error1 posted:

Last month I bought a zwave lock for my front door, the only problem is that openHAB doesn't support the zwave security classes to make it work.

apple watch -> iphone -> homebridge -> openhab -> mosquitto -> mqttwarn -> z-way-server -> door lock

What kind of philistine would turn on a light bulb at the wall switch when you could have this bulletproof, flexible and easily configurable system instead?

Literal backdoor exploit incoming

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

has anything whatsoever come of the apple home automation standard? or was it as doa as everyone predicted because it was a new incompatible standard?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

In a couple years time, burglars won't have to break your window to gain entry, they can just yell "Alexa, unlock the door" really loud from outside

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

error1 posted:

In a couple years time, burglars won't have to break your window to gain entry, they can just yell "Alexa, unlock the door" really loud from outside

This functionality is specifically disabled by Amazon. I hacked that capability in with a stupid app I wrote because I live life on the edge. I don't think you could yell loud enough to make that happen, but hey maybe. Stop by my place and try it some time.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Visual GNUdio posted:

This functionality is specifically disabled by Amazon. I hacked that capability in with a stupid app I wrote because I live life on the edge. I don't think you could yell loud enough to make that happen, but hey maybe. Stop by my place and try it some time.

what part of code or whatever matches what you say. do you have to train it from talking into it? or do you type the words you want it to listen for?

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

The Echo is recording locally in a short RAM buffer waiting to detect the "wake word". The wake word is currently hard-coded to be either "Alexa" or "Amazon". Once the local hardware picks up the wake word in the RAM buffer, it sends the data recorded afterward to Amazon which does all the rest of the voice recognition. There is a training process where you can speak 25 phrases to fine tune the voice recognition.

For home control there are built-in commands that the Echo supports. These are limited in scope and only directly work with a handful of common HA platforms. By "limited in scope" I mean this can be "turn on the kitchen lights", "turn off the bedroom lights", or "set the dining room lights to 20%". That's it: turn on, turn off, set to (dim level). This can be extended by emulating a supported HA platform and capturing on/off/dim commands sent and doing something in response. Alternately, you can work within your HA platform to perform actions in response to incoming Echo commands which is what my dumb SmartThings app linked above does. In any case, you're stuck trying to overload the verbs "turn on/turn off/set" into some meaningful command, which is how I now am left to say "turn on the front door lock" like some weirdo instead of just telling her to lock the goddamn door.

Echo can also support IFTTT through the "trigger" command. With IFTTT integration, you can now set up arbitrary "triggers" to run commands that would sound like "Alexa, trigger ring my phone". "Ring my phone" would be setup manually as an action in IFTTT.

Finally, there's the Alexa Skills Kit (ASK), which allows you to roll your own voice command syntax. These are typically invoked by saying something like "Alexa, ask smarthome to turn on the living room lights". This would launch an ASK app "Smarthome" and hand it the rest of the command.

So that's it. Wake word, [turn on thing | turn off thing | set thing to n percent | trigger command | ask app to command]

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just wait for it to integrate with those one-product buttons so it will hear you say "drat honey i'm out of tide" and the next day you'll have 2 cases at your front door

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

just wait for it to integrate with those one-product buttons so it will hear you say "drat honey i'm out of tide" and the next day you'll have 2 cases at your front door

I didn't really go into the non-home automation parts of the Echo as there's a shitload of other stuff it does. Buying things from Amazon is one of them. "Alexa, buy some Tide" will either re-order whatever matches "Tide" in previous purchases, or it will add it to your shopping list if you've never purchased anything like that before.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

error1 posted:

lol openhab.

i want to say "lol open source" but openhab is awful for a bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with open source. it's the result of a java architecture from the 90s that has been pushed way too far. the interfaces are horrible, the backend is horrible, and everything about it is ancient and dated. oh, and no z-wave security devices allowed. what a heap, i have no idea why anybody even bothers with this garb.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FormatAmerica posted:

I still love my ecobee, it says it saved me $200 - got in in march 2015. It has saved me at least that much in hassle from adjusting a loving thermostat to my whims, much more whatever it's claiming in energy efficiency.

ecobee had a sale around black Friday where they threw in an extra two room sensors for free (so 3 total) and for me they apparently misassembled the plastic cover on all of the ones I got

p happy with it otherwise tho, their phone support was p good at giving a thermostat wire newb like me a functional solution for our heater with only a 3-lead wire going to it (no ac: a cold part of bay area)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The schlage exterior door handles with keypads are pretty useful and don't require any networking poo poo, I have one on each the house front door and the workhouse/shed front door

- no networking poo poo so your mainly just worried about some physical attack arising
- if your away and someone's coming to house/pet sit or just a friend visiting, just msg them a code, don't need to physically get a key to them
- when the door is set to always locked, you don't need to worry about getting locked out without a key as long as you remember the code
- the key bolt is standard schlage so it's p easy to rekey and have all (schlage) locks work on the same key
- the key still works to let you in even if the 9v battery runs out (after weeks of warning you with a red dialpad)

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 22, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Also what would be a good option for lightly-automated exterior lights. specifically thinking of having a couple dim (like 20-40w equiv) upward facing spotlights pointing up at a couple redwoods from the ground so that the yard isn't quite so pitch black when it gets dark

Doesn't need to be ' smart' outside of a timer or brightness sensor or smth to turn the lights on and off at reasonable times, I just don't know anything about yard lights

Also there's very little direct sunlight due to aforementioned redwoods so it'd probly need to be hard wired in some fashion as opposed to solar thingies

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
plenty of cheap LED floods available

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

here it is yospos, my most shameful post yet.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

how many hubs do you need? can each hub only control like 5 loving devices?

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

craisins posted:

how many hubs do you need? can each hub only control like 5 loving devices?

A single Harmony doesn't handle more than 1 room very gracefully. If you have gear in different rooms that might be in use by different people at the same time, you'll probably want a hub for each.

edit: i might have a problem

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 9, 2016

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

:vince:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
alexa is super cool and i want colorful lightbulbs everywhere now. I hope they keep giving her more commands.

"Alexa make all my lights red" "Alexa play horror music" "Alexa lock the doors"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge makes Siri aware of all your legacy smart home crap, I managed to successfully tell it "Siri, open the garage" at least once before it locked up :downs:

The new philips Hue bridge works pretty reliably with homekit and Siri though, "hey siri, dim the livingroom to 20" is pretty convenient and actually makes all those dimmable lights usable.

I wanted to demo it to the guys at work and tried to tell siri "hey siri, turn on all the lights" but there was too much background noise so it only heard "hey siri, turn on"

And then without asking what i wanted to turn on, it turned on loving everything that was connected to HomeKit. Garage door, lights, computers, all of it.

The future is amazing!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that was the best possible outcome imo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

yard salad posted:

It's impossible not to buy a smart TV now, unfortunately

you know Barco, Sony, Phillips, etc. will still sell you a broadcast monitor

then you also don't have bullshit like a tuner or speakers to deal with, just a panel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eschaton posted:

you know Barco, Sony, Phillips, etc. will still sell you a broadcast monitor

then you also don't have bullshit like a tuner or speakers to deal with, just a panel

nah commercial displays are smart now too, easier to not run multiple product lines

plus you're paying 2-3x for the exact same panel

• Locked thread