Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

maniacdevnull posted:

I recommend outdoor cfls if you want to save energy and have lights that don't loving ever work

CFL is so last decade, everything is all about the LED now

just realized a few more lights to upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

my stepdads beer posted:

can we talk about japanese toilets in here

thought you didn't know what fetlife was

echidnapenis: Japanese toilets (everything about it)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Stereotype posted:

Some day I want to own a house

it's a trick, house owns you

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

is z-wave and zigbee a same thing?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

my house is packed to the rafters with halogens

so hjot right now

I used to use a pair of 300W torcheries with extremely bright halogen bulbs to light just my living room in Mississippi, now I wince at how bright that must have been since just turning the one on in my much larger living room is almost too much

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yard salad posted:

It's impossible not to buy a smart TV now, unfortunately

you know Barco, Sony, Phillips, etc. will still sell you a broadcast monitor

then you also don't have bullshit like a tuner or speakers to deal with, just a panel

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maniacdevnull posted:

Would that have a remote or even multiple inputs?

you don't want either

you want it to turn on and off via HDMI control, and to just take whatever your receiver gives it

your receiver should have the inputs, not your monitor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qirex posted:

nah commercial displays are smart now too, easier to not run multiple product lines

plus you're paying 2-3x for the exact same panel

not with Barco

but for studio monitors you'll be paying more like 10× and getting a very good and perfectly calibrated panel

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Visual GNUdio posted:

why the hell would anyone pay extra for a commercial display just to not have "smart" features. you do realize you can just not use those features, right?

I honestly don't trust a "smart" tv to not try to hop on any open or crackable wifi and use video fingerprinting to report my viewing habits

not just blowing smoke here either, Visio has been caught reporting fingerprinted data based on screen contents and wifi security is notoriously bad and advertisers (and some vendors) are notoriously sleazy

there are brands of poo poo to which I will not project slides because I don't trust them not to try to heuristically capture and report it as part of broad efforts at industrial espionage

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Visual GNUdio posted:

i have one of those vizio TVs that does dumb poo poo, so i just didn't plug it into my network. seems like an easy problem to solve.

edit: found a good place for you.

does it have wifi though? are you sure it's not hopping on some nearby wifi network without your knowledge or permission?

I would expect a manufacturer unafraid of industrial espionage (say because they're afforded significant protection by a national government) to build hardware that does things like hop on any and all possible networks and attempt to contact a C&C server to see if there's additional poo poo it should do

and to have an "accumulate as much as possible to send back" mode for certain high value targets too, and include some form of "signature matching" to cause some targets to trigger

this is beyond just possibly having malware installed by a third party, the first party could itself be a bad actor in ways you might not otherwise notice

• Locked thread