Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I was not cool enough to play D&D with the other nerds in school. I'll let that sink in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You can successfully run a game of FF1 with pretty much any "all four the same class" matchup if you know the game decently. It is VERY well balanced.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wayne posted:

Every group is different, but the majority of tabletop games I've been in have been pretty casual, roleplay-light and combat-heavy games (almost always with adventure paths since Pathfinder took over). The big problem is the "Heckler's Veto" dilemma, since in order to have a world-building and roleplay focused game you have to have a lot of player buy-in, and it only takes one person who finds that stuff boring and is in the game for the tactical combat aspects (especially in 4E/13A where that's more developed than earlier D&D) to derail the game.

This is pretty much why I never got very heartbroken about being too nerdy to play D&D. I'd want to play for the fantasy and adventure and story, not for crunching numbers. It's similar to why I never got into MMORPGs. The standard player is more interested in grabbing the loot and increasing their stats than actually living a fantasy life. meh.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

MaskedHuzzah posted:

And Nintendo Power released a full strategy guide for it.

Yeah, I had it and they reveal everything up to the final boss.

It was great for maps, not so hot on advice. Like, it gave opinions for if spells were good buys or not (that's actually a useful walkthrough feature considering the limited spell inventory) however it's opinions were often wrong. Also, the people that wrote the guide were going on faith that everything worked. Weapon elements and some of the magic is just outright broken in this first version of the game and don't do what they're supposed to at all.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mazed posted:

I don't remember stuff like being blocked by bats and ogres or whatever demanding arbitrary things when I played through the PSP redo of this game years ago. Did they end up removing some weirdness in an attempt to have it hold up next to 'modern' games, or what?

The "hall of giants" is a pointless corridor on the left hand side early into the earth cave where the encounter rate is jacked up to nearly 100% and every fight is with Giants. It's a decent grinding spot at that point in the game outside of the peninsula of power if that's your thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I believe that was the afformentioned Eye, which was originally a straight up Beholder completely. It's odd that there was only one monster they redrew, considering how many drat monsters are just as flagrant as that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

There's a reason why Nasir holds a lifetime achievement award for being a lovely game programmer and it goes back long before this game.

Nasir became a superstar programmer in the early 80s because he worked fast, not because he worked clean, as I understand it. I still think it's crazy that his work visa expired while making 2 and 3, so the rest of the crew got work visas for America to work with him back home.

• Locked thread