Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/ posted:

According to KHOU Channel 11 News, the shooting took place around 11:15 p.m. at a Valero gas station in north Houston.

Police officials say that two men jumped the owner of a Chevrolet pickup truck and absconded with his vehicle.

As the men struggled with the car-owner, a passerby produced a gun and fired multiple shots, missing the thieves but striking the victim in the head.

The shooter quickly gathered up his shell casings from the pavement and fled the scene.

The injured man was rushed to a nearby hospital where he is currently in stable condition.

the idiot didn't even stop the carjacking and was too cowardly to take responsibility for being a bad shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
:firstpost:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im glad he stopped the bad guy

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

the idiot didn't even stop the carjacking and was too cowardly to take responsibility for being a bad shot

lol that guy's absolutely hosed for fleeing the scene it's not hard to track which gun fired the bullet

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

thank god he had a gun or this would have happened

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
:cripes:

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

this never would have happened if he had a skul-gun

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

lol that guy's absolutely hosed for fleeing the scene it's not hard to track which gun fired the bullet

...it actually is? you can't "track" a gun from a bullet. what you can do is compare a gun to a bullet and determine whether it's possible that gun fired it or not, but in any case you need to actually find a gun to compare it to, first. even then, though, you need corroborating evidence because otherwise it could just as easily be another gun of the same calibre and a similar model.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Pretty self aware of the guy to police his shells at least

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
the casings are probably far more consequential since they likely had his fingerprints on them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

...it actually is? you can't "track" a gun from a bullet. what you can do is compare a gun to a bullet and determine whether it's possible that gun fired it or not, but in any case you need to actually find a gun to compare it to, first. even then, though, you need corroborating evidence because otherwise it could just as easily be another gun of the same calibre and a similar model.

It can b hard to even determine caliber depending on how much bullet is left

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
He tried his best

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
the guy in the truck who was shot will understand.

"Hell, I'd of done the same thing".

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

It can b hard to even determine caliber depending on how much bullet is left

yeah I was thinking about adding this.

if a bullet is recovered from a crime scene, visually identifying it should be able to tell you what calibre it is, provided that it isn't fragmented too much.

if it's not, and if it also isn't too terribly mangled, then you might be able to identify the striations left on the bullet by the rifling of the gun that fired it. all this really tells you is what kind of rifling the gun has, which can help you narrow it down to a range of potential models (assuming the gun isn't custom-made which of course is another if). that range might be fairly small (there aren't many models in production that fire .45-76, or .50 AE, or 10 mm auto, and of those that do, there probably are a lot fewer that share any given rifling pattern), or it might be so large as to effectively be useless (9 mm para bellum).

depending on how much you know about the crime, you might be able to do some ballistic tests. EG, replicating the conditions of the shot with different types of weapons should help you narrow down what kind of gun you're looking for, if you didn't already know that. for example, if you know someone was shot at close range with a bullet roughly 10 mm in diametre, but .40 pistols consistently produce less fragmentation under similar conditions, then you know you're probably looking for a 10 mm auto and not a .40.

but, outliers aside (like a gun having a very particular alteration to its rifling that leaves a very particular marking on each bullet it fires, which is something that has happened before), there is no possible way you can prove before a court of law that one particular gun fired one particular bullet, especially if you don't have any other evidence tying the gun to the crime, and especially not if you don't actually know where the gun is or who it belongs to

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

NEXT ON RAW STORY >

WA man shoots self in scrotum while fighting off meth hallucinations of 'Mexicans in trees'

quote:

A Washington state man high on meth shot himself in the groin with a revolver after seeing imaginary “Mexicans” in trees outside his home which he believed were going to attack him, the Yakima Herald reports.

Martin Eugene Hoyer, 51, was apparently on day two of a methamphetamine binge when he kicked in his neighbor’s door with a handgun in his waistband. Authorities told the Herald when he did so, the gun went off and a bullet lodged in his scrotum. Hoyer was not seriously hurt but faces assault, harassment and unlawful firearm charges as a result of the incident.

Before bursting in on his neighbor, Hoyer pointed his .45 caliber Taurus handgun at another woman through her window. Voices he heard coming through his air vents told him that the neighbor was plotting with “a bunch of Mexicans and white guys” to steal his cash and truck.

After threatening her, Hoyer returned to his apartment but said that’s when he saw “Mexicans in the trees” outside his apartment who were plotting to jump him. He also imagined more “Mexicans” were in a second neighbor’s apartment trying to get her to open Hoyer’s apartment door so they could rob him, the Herald reports.

This is when Hoyer went to her apartment to “save” her. When he went to kick in her door, he caused his gun to go off. The bullet ricocheted off his hip bone and went into his lower abdomen, coming to rest in his scrotum, authorities told the paper. Police found him walking with the injury from his apartment to his truck.

Hoyer didn’t suffer any permanent damage from the injury, but had a second bullet lodged in his body from an earlier gunshot wound.

He has four previous felony convictions. Police told the Herald he had smoked about $100-worth of meth in two days. They found three other firearms in his home along with ammunition and small amounts of methamphetamine. He is being held on $50,000 bail and is scheduled for arraignment Monday.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

did they find the mexicans

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
right in the loving dome

gg, america

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Do It Once Right posted:

NEXT ON RAW STORY >

WA man shoots self in scrotum while fighting off meth hallucinations of 'Mexicans in trees'

ohhh tree mexicans. i had a problem with them once in texas.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
an armed society is literally "the road warrior" IRL society

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
if I was a Mexican living in Yakima I'd get a bunch of relatives to hang out in his trees, scowl, and whisper threats
no one will believe him this time lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robot Pride posted:

an armed society is literally "the road warrior" IRL society

texan vahalla is filled to the top with straight stupid people

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
this wouldnt have happened if everyone had guns

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

NEXT ON RAW STORY >

White man trying to buy gun shoots self in penis — blames it on a black guy

quote:

A South Dakota man is currently in custody after telling police officers he was shot in the penis by a “black guy” when he actually shot himself while attempting to purchase a gun illegally, reports the Argus Leader.

Convicted felon Donald Anthony Watson, 43, was admitted to a local emergency room late at night on Sept. 6 for a gunshot wound to his penis, and told local law enforcement that he had been shot during a botched robbery.

According to the arrest report, Watson said he was shot by “a black guy (who) tried to rob” him while he was taking out the trash at his apartment.

Investigators who went to Watson’s apartment said there was no evidence of a black man in South Dakota or a shooting outside, but neighbors told them they heard screaming coming from inside his apartment earlier in the evening.

After obtaining a search warrant, officer entered his home and found blood, bullet fragments, and an empty gun case.

Pressed by police, Watson admitted that he made the story up and was looking at a handgun he was thinking about buying and placed it in his pocket where it went off, with the bullet hitting his genitals.

Watson — who refused to tell police where the gun disappeared to — has been charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of a firearm by a drug offender, and two counts of false reports to law enforcement.

e: I don't know how my browser's cookie settings evolved to only suggest to me articles about guys shooting themselves in the junk, but it's basically the best thing ever.

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 28, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

poopzilla posted:

thank god he had a gun or this would have happened

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Or the shooter shows up on one of the several gas station security cameras, or one of the abundant security cameras at nearby businesses.

I doubt this doofus will evade the police for very long.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

Investigators who went to Watson’s apartment said there was no evidence of a black man in South Dakota

lmfbo

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

haha

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nice

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Do It Once Right posted:

NEXT ON RAW STORY >

White man trying to buy gun shoots self in penis — blames it on a black guy

e: I don't know how my browser's cookie settings evolved to only suggest to me articles about guys shooting themselves in the junk, but it's basically the best thing ever.

Black guy in SD?!

Aug 4, 2010

texass

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Darth123123 posted:

Black guy in SD?!

beat bitch :owned:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Do It Once Right you've convinced me. mods please change thread title to "lol, gun havers" so we can get more stories of people shooting themselves in the dick

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

this is texas

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

curses, foiled again

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

This is like the most american thing to ever happen in america in a long time. Love the south.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Do It Once Right posted:

NEXT ON RAW STORY >

hold on a second. this guy shot himself in the crotch with a .45 and had "no major injuries" after a .45 bullet was lodged in his nutsack?????

:how:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Gun nuts always assume they'll be perfect shots in these situations.

Too bad there wasn't another good guy with a gun to take out the first before he did the carjackers' job for them.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

Do It Once Right posted:

Investigators who went to Watson’s apartment said there was no evidence of a black man in South Dakota...

White man foiled by his own states lovely demographics.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Do It Once Right posted:

NEXT ON RAW STORY >

Investigators who went to Watson’s apartment said there was no evidence of a black man in South Dakota...

Lol. Not even one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
If the police had more militarized equipment this never would have happened

• Locked thread