Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Can someone explain why there's so many scary stories about personal drones being used to carry drugs, terrorists strapping bombs to drones, drones interfering with airspace, etc etc etc like they haven't been around for 50 years? People have been building and flying model planes and helicopters since AM radio was discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

serious answer is probably after the NSA scandal broke and people became wary of unmanned surveillance, hence the growing interest of drones which do basically just that

condensed answer is i'm gay

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Don't drones beam video back to the operator so you can go wherever you want?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FatCow posted:

Don't drones beam video back to the operator so you can go wherever you want?

yeah and nerds have already posted drone videos of women sunbathing.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

9/11 changed everything.

Everything.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

op the us is like totally about drones now for killing because the tech has gotten good

and because the us spends more money on killing than anything else, everyone is making drone parts now so drones that can lift things have gotten really cheap so now anyone can kill blokes with drones

hth

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

935 posted:

Can someone explain why there's so many scary stories about personal drones being used to carry drugs, terrorists strapping bombs to drones, drones interfering with airspace, etc etc etc like they haven't been around for 50 years? People have been building and flying model planes and helicopters since AM radio was discovered.

because they're cheap as gently caress and have a lower barrier to entry than ever before so they're more prevalent than they ever have been, wow i really can't believe you weren't able to figure that out

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

why hasn't anyon flown a drone w/ bomb into the white house or football?

ban drones

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
we weren't scared enough so TPTB decided to whip up more frenzy also im gay

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

ThePriceIsRight posted:

why hasn't anyone flown a drone w/ bomb into the white house? do they have jammers?

Nobody's flown a drone to a place for the same reason that nobody's flown a R/C custom build with fly-by-wire capability and freeware automation to a place.

Nobody gives a gently caress. The US blows up weddings and children abroad with total impunity and no international outrage. Basically muslims hate other muslims way more than they hate the US, in spite of the rhetoric which would tell you otherwise.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I think it's because any halfwit with $50 or more can get his own drone, and people willing to spend big bucks can now fly high enough to interfere with commercial aircraft or mount a decent enough camera or directional microphone that the invasion of individual, corporate, and government privacy are now real issues.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Literally nothing existed before the internet, OP.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

100% legal.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
because black man president and everything black man president do is bad

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGW7-owySOs

100% illegal in his state.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

935 posted:

mass media you fuckwit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
There are cheap ones and ones that the military put bombs in so people are actually paying attention to them

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I dunno. They're cheaper, more readily available, easier to control, more maneuverable? Something like that?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

cram me sideways posted:

because black man president and everything black man president do is bad

nah obama legit did ramp up drone attacks on a scale never before seen. imo its the opposite, if a republican had done it there would be more outrage but a lot of democrats give obama a pass. similar to nsa poo poo where people who would have flipped over prism didnt give a gently caress because democrats are the good guys

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
prism is fucjing cool and if you don't think so you're lame and unimaginative

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

TEAYCHES posted:

nah obama legit did ramp up drone attacks on a scale never before seen. imo its the opposite, if a republican had done it there would be more outrage but a lot of democrats give obama a pass. similar to nsa poo poo where people who would have flipped over prism didnt give a gently caress because democrats are the good guys

I can see your point, after the embassy attacks in africa when clinton was president, strafe the coast with battleships. no one really cared.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I'm a guy who was a radio controlled plane hobbyist who eventually kinda turned his lame nerdy passion into a career, AMA.

tl:dr if you are suddenly terrified of people using quadcopters to noisily hover over a thing with 800 kilos of semtex, please don't worry - you're actually a racist piece of poo poo and there is no new sudden risk of terrorism for whatever you feel things about.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People finally woke up, it happens all at once sometime. Same thing with Cable TV: Everyone pretended it was fine until all of a sudden they joined on what we all knew for years, it's a dying medium. The public is slow as gently caress to wake up sometimes.

Also Civilian drones are becoming a really big thing, and honestly, people care more about that really.

I, myself, don't really care who or what murders people in the middle east, be it a techie with a remote control or an idiot helicopter gunner that probably barely cleared high school, dead is dead. People talk of living in terror because they can't see Drones, but really, if we didn't have them we'd just be using a gunship.

jiharlequinade posted:

I dunno. They're cheaper, more readily available, easier to control, more maneuverable? Something like that?

For the first time people are realizing that the future of warfare is packs of drones, including drones networking info from other drones, and that conventional vehicles are going to start playing less and less of a role. It makes poo poo like that new stealth bomber even more hilarious, if we can crank out 100 air-to-air drones (something we're working on) for the cost of a single plane and not even risk a pilot.

Up until now when anyone talked about this the public would just go "haha like those sci-fi movies alright, yeah, I don't really believe it."

Hooded Reptile posted:

I can see your point, after the embassy attacks in africa when clinton was president, strafe the coast with battleships. no one really cared.

Cruisers, we don't use Battleships anymore.

And yeah. Everyone forgets when Bill Clinton got repeatedly compared to the movie Wag the Dog for dropping cruise missiles on an arguably incorrect target which got the media to stop talking about him getting his dick sucked for a few days.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 30, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

110% illegal in all states.

Gun mounted on a remote vehicle? Illegal!
Gun fired using some manner of electronic actuator? Illegal!

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

People finally woke up, it happens all at once sometime. Same thing with Cable TV: Everyone pretended it was fine until all of a sudden they joined on what we all knew for years, it's a dying medium. The public is slow as gently caress to wake up sometimes.

Also Civilian drones are becoming a really big thing, and honestly, people care more about that really.

I, myself, don't really care who or what murders people in the middle east, be it a techie with a remote control or an idiot helicopter gunner that probably barely cleared high school, dead is dead. People talk of living in terror because they can't see Drones, but really, if we didn't have them we'd just be using a gunship.

For the first time people are realizing that the future of warfare is packs of drones, including drones networking info from other drones, and that conventional vehicles are going to start playing less and less of a role. It makes poo poo like that new stealth bomber even more hilarious, if we can crank out 100 air-to-air drones (something we're working on) for the cost of a single plane and not even risk a pilot.

Up until now when anyone talked about this the public would just go "haha like those sci-fi movies alright, yeah, I don't really believe it."

Cruisers, we don't use Battleships anymore.

And yeah. Everyone forgets when Bill Clinton got repeatedly compared to the movie Wag the Dog for dropping cruise missiles on an arguably incorrect target which got the media to stop talking about him getting his dick sucked for a few days.

i'm just glad someone remembers, thought i got a spot of crazy on me.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i think the whole anti drone thing is loving hilarious. buy a air rifle you paranoid nerds. also NOBODY WANTS TO LOOK AT YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC0gd4r6QQQ

Drones good. Drone flag stunt fury.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

What, Lol>?

You are dumb and stupid for your post about stupid poo poo.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dumb people are afraid of new technology, nothing new

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:911: i love american ingenuity

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

935 posted:

Can someone explain why there's so many scary stories about personal drones being used to carry drugs, terrorists strapping bombs to drones, drones interfering with airspace, etc etc etc like they haven't been around for 50 years?
Because they were nothing like as advanced before, and telecommunications had not advanced to the point of consequence-free global warfare.

Twenty years ago, Predator drones had to be controlled out of trucks not very far from where they were fighting if operators wanted a live stream (as happened in the Yugoslav wars).

Now you can do it from wherever. Not quite as much culpability. Some people have problems with that.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
i like how the civilian market took remote controlled helicopters and quads and said "ok, these are drones now" and people are snatching that poo poo up like they're getting some next level poo poo.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i think the whole anti drone thing is loving hilarious. buy a air rifle you paranoid nerds. also NOBODY WANTS TO LOOK AT YOU

lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTpCDC6b2U

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
bc those quadcopter videos were so popular about 5 or 6 years ago op

that's the answer why

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I unironically look forward to the day the United States can wage its wars entirely by remote, and our enemies are ground beneath the metal heels of our unstoppable robot armies.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
when then government kills people it rarely makes the news, when people use one for a bird poop prank cnn asks 'SHOULD PITIFUL CIVILIANS BE ALLOWED TECHNOLOGY?'

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

WHAT LEVEL OF RESIGNATION TO OUR BRUTAL DOMINATORS IS THE RIGHT LEVEL??

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i saw some pakistani kid talking about the drones and he was saying how you can't really see them because they are so high up so at any given moment death can rain from the clear blue skies and it has taught them to fear the open skies more bc the drones don't fly as much in bad weather

idk if RC planes are quite the same

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
they are called "droids", OP :rolleyes:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i'll tell you what level, it's time to embrace them, not with the suicidal bloodthirst of the would-be dominator but with the open arms of the one who joyfully wills even her own doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

i saw some pakistani kid talking about the drones and he was saying how you can't really see them because they are so high up so at any given moment death can rain from the clear blue skies and it has taught them to fear the open skies more bc the drones don't fly as much in bad weather

idk if RC planes are quite the same

i think that is called the devil beating his wife, son

• Locked thread