Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Phrosphor posted:

I tried to read the Warrior trilogy but found it a struggle, then PTN's Let's Reads of various battletech books totally put me off the whole fiction.

You have to adopt a reading strategy of skipping entire chapters rapidly because so much of a lot of the books is just terrible but you still want to know the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Washout posted:

You have to adopt a reading strategy of skipping entire chapters rapidly because so much of a lot of the books is just terrible but you still want to know the lore.

Or stick to the sourcebooks.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Phrosphor posted:

I tried to read the Warrior trilogy but found it a struggle, then PTN's Let's Reads of various battletech books totally put me off the whole fiction.

Are those Let's Reads still around?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I tried reading some Battletech novels. I started with Ghost War (yeah, I know) and got as far as Ruins of Power before giving up. That was the shittiest goddamn book I've ever read in my life, and judging by the Let's Read of Far Country even that stinker can't begin to compare. The Let's Reads of other Battletech novels haven't done anything to raise my opinion of Battletech novels.

On the other hand, the sourcebooks really are pretty good. The Jihad Hot Spots books were stellar, for one, and some of the short stories on Battlecorps are also pretty good (The Proliferation Cycle, and whatever that Clan Wolverine series was called.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LeSquide posted:

Are those Let's Reads still around?

They're an irregular feature of his staggeringly-long BT Let's Play, check it out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Or stick to the sourcebooks.

Yah the sourcebooks are actually cool, I dunno why you'd ever read the cheap novels instead. They're written like History Textbooks for each faction and some for specific units even so you learn a lot about their creation and current status.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 21, 2015

Jet Screamer
Jun 4, 2007
Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah

Washout posted:

I'm still looking for an actual good battletech book. At best they are campy, and I've already read like 20 including a lot of dark age bullshit I'll never get those hours of my life back...

The first three BattleTech books (the Saga of the Gray Death Legion) were pretty good, though it's been ages since I've read them. IIRC The Sword and the Dagger (about Max Liao's scheme to clone Hanse Davion) was pretty good. But then...

Phrosphor posted:

Holy poo poo, as someone else said, large portions of these books were unreadable, mostly due to Michael Stackpole's turgid prose. Parts of these books are goddamned unreadable. I also can't comment on anything written from the early 90s on, as like TSR, they'd poo poo out books hand over fist with varying degrees of quality.

A few people mentioned the sourcebooks, and I found them to be a LOT better than the vast majority of the novels. The original 80s house sourcebooks contain plenty of pulp, as do the original Periphery and Star League sourcebooks. These books were revised back in the early 2000s, but I'd recommend getting the originals as the newer versions, while having better art and layout, cut out a lot of the fluff that gave the world of BattleTech that extra crunch. Original sourcebooks go for a good chunk of change, but there's PDFs of the originals that can be had.

Edit: also get the 20-Year Update (updates the BT universe from 3025 to right before the Clan invasion). The original 3025, 3026 and 3050 Technical Readouts also give a lot of good background info.

Jet Screamer fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 21, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I like objective raids. Fight me IRL.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sharkopath posted:

Yah the sourcebooks are actually cool, I dunno why you'd ever read the cheap novels instead. They're written like History Textbooks for each faction and some for specific units even so you learn a lot about their creation and current status.

I love how one of the devs hated the Black Thorns (from "Main Event" and "D.R.T") so much that when he found out they were accidentally listed on a planet that got nuked by the Wobbies, he was just like "eh, cool"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Getting back to the actual game coming out, I kind of hope when HBS does the animations they settle on autocannons actually being autocannons and not mech-sized blunderbusses. Say what you will about the books (they were bad) but an AC/20 sounding like a huge buzzsaw out of hell is much cooler than the version we got in MWO. I know it doesn't help that AC bores in the art are all over the place, but gently caress it.

And hell, while we're at it, since they're already committed to changing the rules to make it work as a computer game, just do something like decree "engines have innate heat capacity equal to rating/25" and call it a day. Then when DHS get introduced later on they're not nearly as OP ('engine heat sinks' can't be doubles since they're set by rating) and gently caress, if they're still OP just make them 1.5HS instead.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

unpurposed posted:

Which is the better Mechcommander game and can they be played on Windows 8?
MC 2 sucks. MC Gold is free. Dunno what hoops to jump through on windows 10 but I am pretty sure I found a torrent (which is legal since they just gave it away) and played MC Gold on win 7 or 8 without much trouble. The online community is probably nonexistent though because there were a ton of hoops to jump through, as it was originally run through the MSN Gaming Zone network which doesn't exist.

Which is a huge loving loss because Mechcommander multiplayer was amazingly good.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

WarLocke posted:

Getting back to the actual game coming out, I kind of hope when HBS does the animations they settle on autocannons actually being autocannons and not mech-sized blunderbusses. Say what you will about the books (they were bad) but an AC/20 sounding like a huge buzzsaw out of hell is much cooler than the version we got in MWO. I know it doesn't help that AC bores in the art are all over the place, but gently caress it.

And hell, while we're at it, since they're already committed to changing the rules to make it work as a computer game, just do something like decree "engines have innate heat capacity equal to rating/25" and call it a day. Then when DHS get introduced later on they're not nearly as OP ('engine heat sinks' can't be doubles since they're set by rating) and gently caress, if they're still OP just make them 1.5HS instead.

It's pretty hard to balance something that just innately raises your rate of fire. Even if DHS had only 1.2x thats still a 20% ROF increase on any laser/energy boat. They really need to nuke that idea entirely and just use expendable coolant pods or something of that ilk. Luckily this is 3025 so we don't have to see any of the clan bullshit. I'm sad that the rifleman will still probably not be in it, but I can hope it's become reseen or something. the warhammer and marauder made it into MWO extremely recently. I just keep waiting on the rifleman.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 22, 2015

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah might as well make it coolant pods or trucks like the Tac Ops manual or how they sort of acted in MW4. But we should still be able to stand in water to fire more. They have a lot of rules to play with and the creator of battletech working with them so I am sure they'll keep core gameplay mechanics but steamline it so it doesn't feel as tabletopish. Plus after reading the AMA they did it seems like they are doing their best to maintain the feel of battletech. I believe they said they are playing weekly tabletop games to get in the mood.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 22, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wonder if our customizable Dropship is going to be a Leopard (cause we can only deploy a single lance on missions) or a Union (because I presume even though we can only deploy a single lance, we can still have more than 4 'mechs and mercs).

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Washout posted:

It's pretty hard to balance something that just innately raises your rate of fire. Even if DHS had only 1.2x thats still a 20% ROF increase on any laser/energy boat. They really need to nuke that idea entirely and just use expendable coolant pods or something of that ilk. Luckily this is 3025 so we don't have to see any of the clan bullshit. I'm sad that the rifleman will still probably not be in it, but I can hope it's become reseen or something. the warhammer and marauder made it into MWO extremely recently. I just keep waiting on the rifleman.

Here's their official response from the FAQ "We’re excited by the great redesigns Piranha and Catalyst have done for some those “imperially entangled” ‘Mechs but we’re not committing to them right now. However, it’s a long time until we ship, so cross your fingers!" If nothing else it gives me some hope to see Riflemen or Marauders in the game.

But so far the list they're working with is:
LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas

As always, a lot can happen between now and 2016.

I'm pretty sure we'll at least reach the $2,000,000 mark and get the Dropship base. Most likely it'll be a Union as well; it's really what most players think of when they think of Dropships.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

PunkBoy posted:

Anyone have luck running Mech Commander on Windows 10? I get as far as the briefing screen and then it crashes as I try to start a mission. Some kind of error about "Could Not Open Scenario File." When I try to run the auto-run setup, I get a 16 bit incompatibility error. I think I might be SOL. :(
I was having the same problem, the advice on this page got it working. Pretty simple really, run it in Windows 95 compatibility mode and at 256 colors. If you don't want to run it from the CD, you can just copy all the CD contents over to your hard-drive and bypass installation.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

Here's their official response from the FAQ "We’re excited by the great redesigns Piranha and Catalyst have done for some those “imperially entangled” ‘Mechs but we’re not committing to them right now. However, it’s a long time until we ship, so cross your fingers!" If nothing else it gives me some hope to see Riflemen or Marauders in the game.

But so far the list they're working with is:
LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas

As always, a lot can happen between now and 2016.

I'm pretty sure we'll at least reach the $2,000,000 mark and get the Dropship base. Most likely it'll be a Union as well; it's really what most players think of when they think of Dropships.

A bit odd they put the shadowhawk and battlemaster in then. I'm just glad to see the grasshopper though, I don't think that's ever been in one of these games since crescent hawks inception.

Oh I'm wrong, they added it to MWO at some point.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 22, 2015

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Sharkopath posted:

A bit odd they put the shadowhawk and battlemaster in then. I'm just glad to see the grasshopper though, I don't think that's ever been in one of these games since crescent hawks inception.

Oh I'm wrong, they added it to MWO at some point.

I think all the 'mechs that weren't redesigns from Robotech/Macross are kosher to use, but I'm not sure about the rest of the Unseen. I remember the topic being explored in the Mechwarrior Online thread though.

Edit: Sarna.net has a list of what Unseen/Reseen are at http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 22, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That makes sense I guess.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

So they just announced that with "special thanks to :pgi:" they are going to be able to use the warhammer and the marauder in the game. I hope this doesn't mean too much of peoples cash is going to go to Paul and co's coke habit.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rebel Blob posted:

I was having the same problem, the advice on this page got it working. Pretty simple really, run it in Windows 95 compatibility mode and at 256 colors. If you don't want to run it from the CD, you can just copy all the CD contents over to your hard-drive and bypass installation.

Thanks! Copying everything over worked great. Game's fun!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

So they just announced that with "special thanks to :pgi:" they are going to be able to use the warhammer and the marauder in the game. I hope this doesn't mean too much of peoples cash is going to go to Paul and co's coke habit.

Most likely it probably just means they'll get to use their models for cheap. I doubt HBS can afford to spend too much cash on anything but pure development and PGI thought it might help revive interest in their game while people wait for the real thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PGI's mech models were good at least. Too bad the game is worse than a Derek Smart poo poo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Most likely it probably just means they'll get to use their models for cheap.

Partnership deal. I asked them about it when it turned out they were talking to :pgi:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Of the many things to come from MWO, the art assets were by far the least offensive. I quite like most of the models.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Deofuta posted:

Of the many things to come from MWO, the art assets were by far the least offensive. I quite like most of the models.

Some of the newer mechs look like kitbashed poo poo (the Wolfhound is particularly fugly, even though the concept art was nice), do they have someone other than flyingdebris doing it now? The original mechs and the first few they added were honestly pretty loving cool looking.

Even the MWO version of Clan mechs are generally pretty great looking, at least the first couple waves.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
lately the mechs have seemed more boxy, and the walking animations for the crows-feet style mechs looks kinda lovely.

guess it is unfair to compare them with AAA games that have figured out how to make walking on the side of hills look good

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Really excited this is coming out since there has been such a glut of tactical Btech/Mechwarrior stuff for a while now. I was eyeing the $50 tier, but the $85 is tempting for the potential multiplayer benefits. I will probably hold out till the last few days to see if multiplayer gets funded first.

I was hoping for more cRPG elements added as I really think the original Battletech games (Crescent Hawks) had amazing story and gameplay for its day. This is a great step forward for the series however and it looks like we finally have some good things to look forward to.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Willfrey posted:

guess it is unfair to compare them with AAA games that have figured out how to make walking on the side of hills look good

This is actually a hilarious comment in regards to MWO, since the game used to have that, whatever the tech is called that changes animations around so that legs perch on hills/obstructions naturally.

It was removed during one of the 'optimization' passes in the beta that simultaneously made the game look shittier (one of the really egregious changes was with mech damage, instead of the more detailed modeling they now had the weird and fugly grey bullet-hole texture).

There was an imgur album or something that really pounded this home, with side-by-side screenshot comparisons, but I've long since lost the bookmark. :negative:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They had to make sure the key market of single core dx7 users on XP could still spend money on the game.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

"My 12 year old son tried to play and found the game confusing"

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
How big is the lens on the Warhammer's shoulder light? Why the hell does a mech need a giant floodlight? Engage your image enhancer, bro.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I tried to play MWO and piloting was p. fun but it quickly looked like I'd have to sink dozens of hours into a single mech before deploying with it would be a net positive to a team. Felt like I'd have had my fill of the gameplay (which was albeit fun) long before unlocking anything worthwhile.

Did I get the wrong impression?

Orv
May 4, 2011

WarLocke posted:

This is actually a hilarious comment in regards to MWO, since the game used to have that, whatever the tech is called that changes animations around so that legs perch on hills/obstructions naturally.

It was removed during one of the 'optimization' passes in the beta that simultaneously made the game look shittier (one of the really egregious changes was with mech damage, instead of the more detailed modeling they now had the weird and fugly grey bullet-hole texture).

There was an imgur album or something that really pounded this home, with side-by-side screenshot comparisons, but I've long since lost the bookmark. :negative:

How terrible does your optimization have to be that IK for 48 feet brings your performance down, holy poo poo. :psypop:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Cirofren posted:

I tried to play MWO and piloting was p. fun but it quickly looked like I'd have to sink dozens of hours into a single mech before deploying with it would be a net positive to a team. Felt like I'd have had my fill of the gameplay (which was albeit fun) long before unlocking anything worthwhile.

Did I get the wrong impression?

Let's see, core gameplay can be enjoyable. Check.

Grinding. Check.

Base mechs are largely pointless. Check.

Core gameplay, while fun, is shallow thanks to lack of meaningful variation in play. Check.

Nope, checks out dude.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

How big is the lens on the Warhammer's shoulder light? Why the hell does a mech need a giant floodlight? Engage your image enhancer, bro.

It's because the mech they ripped off had one. And for infantry support I guess.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's possible to get Mechwarrior 3 running on modern hardware but the bugs you get are pretty entertaining. Mechs that activate jump jets on broken terrain have a chance to launch them selves to the top of the skybox at lightspeed and then slowly float down helpless and unmaneuverable, and then instead of a resounding crash when they hit the ground they bounce off like a rubber ball and do it all over again, until a few bounces later they are finally able to reengage gravity.

It made the first appearance of aa Summoner a very entertaining combat instead of a frightening one.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

PGI's mech models were good at least. Too bad the game is worse than a Derek Smart poo poo.

The mech models are bad and dumb, most can't be made to move the arms since it causes a lot of clipping issues. At least this is the excuse PGI gave as to why they won't implement melee combat. I think they are just piggybacking on whatever licensing deals PGI made.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Sharkopath posted:

It's possible to get Mechwarrior 3 running on modern hardware but the bugs you get are pretty entertaining. Mechs that activate jump jets on broken terrain have a chance to launch them selves to the top of the skybox at lightspeed and then slowly float down helpless and unmaneuverable, and then instead of a resounding crash when they hit the ground they bounce off like a rubber ball and do it all over again, until a few bounces later they are finally able to reengage gravity.

It made the first appearance of aa Summoner a very entertaining combat instead of a frightening one.

Oh man, Mech Warrior 3 was awesome. Played multiplayer all the time at a camp over a summer, and I got really good piloting a Thor. It's now my favorite Mech even though it's apparently middling at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Orv posted:

How terrible does your optimization have to be that IK for 48 feet brings your performance down, holy poo poo. :psypop:

This is the same company that can't change the base defenses on base defense maps because the lead programmer quit and left behind nothing but giant piles of lovely kludges and spaghetti.

• Locked thread