Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The barbatos is rad and I really like how un-gundam it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked the episode. Good introduction to the characters, interesting setting. Hopefully it can keep it up.

Kanos posted:

Also none of the Wing boys had nearly as much lovingly detailed muscle definition as basically every mobile worker pilot we've seen.

My interests include bodybuilding, cosplay and gundam. It's nice that I have a show that gives me the possiblity of combining the three :v:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Huh just said at nycc that their dubbing iron blood and should be released ealru 2016. Maybe Bandai actually gives a poo poo about he na market again

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

show seems p cool from watching the first two eps but looks like it's going to suffer from a lack of tomino

guess i shouldn't have expected good gundam shows back to back though

Yeah this show has decent pacing so far it's a drat shame

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She's a sheltered rich person with a maid. Why would she know how much farmers sell corn for to wholesalers?

yeah I'm a pretty avid political junky, but if you were to ask me the price of crops for stuff like rice and grains, I'd give you a blank stare.

I liked that touch.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

greco had some problems and I'm enjoying iron blooded more so far.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man with a mission has the best "origin" story ever holy poo poo.

Jimmy Hendrix, master wolf biologist. :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

Imagine a harem romcom but at the end instead of not picking any girl he picked all the girls

considering harem animes are just wish fulfilment bs, I'm wondering why they don't do this more often.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 23, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Schubalts posted:

Kaempfer x Alex, best pair. Can you make their love bloom on the battlefield?

Everyone knows that the Alex and the Zaku II FZ is the OTP. They'd go out for burgers together.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I'm hoping that eventually Olga and Mika disagree on something eventually or some sort of drama. Because of it's two seasons of people in their 20s-50s going "heh, teenagers" and then dying violently then this is going to be a long show.

I like everything else, I'm just waiting for some kind of strife to shake things up.

I'm pretty sure that Orga's constant need to make Minka think he's awesome is going to bite him in the rear end. Hell the show has biscuit pretty call him out on doing reckless stuff when there's room to negotiate.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kudelia's arc has some nice subtle moments. In the first fight she holes up in the bunker, the safest area, wondering what the hell is going on. In the last fight, she's directed to go to the central block, the safest part of the ship, but she'll be unable to observe the battle. Kudelia herself decides to go back to the bridge to see what's happening, though she'll be in greater danger by doing so.

She's got a bit of the cliche "peace princess" in her but she's definitely one of the better ones in Gundam so far.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was just answering "she's one of the best" with "not yet" dude.

to be fair I said "one of the better ones so far" I think her development is promising, but hey the series could drop the ball.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The Brewers really look like they wandered in from another anime.

the middle one seems to fit in to the aesthetics of the show.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

There's Gundam OVAs with fully fleshed out, complete plot lines that have run times far less than what IBO is getting, in addition to the aforementioned "most Gundam series can be trimmed into movie trilogies" factoid.

I always found this argument to be disingenuous.A lot of the gundam OVA's are short, self contained stories with the world building already done by previous series. I still think there are instances in which a 26 episode view count may not be enough time. What really matters is what kind of story the show is trying to tell. G-reco's should have been more than the 26 episodes it got. Age had a multitude of problems, but I still think that the 50 episode count was likely too short for a hundred year war story.

Edit- there's a ton of great shows that go beyond 26 episodes, so why people seemed to suggest that all series should be this length is baffling to me.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 29, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really like how this series is dealing with worker rebellions and such. You don't get in to the economics of gundam very often and having that be a driving factor of a rebellion is really cool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

To emphasize how hardcore Atra is, when she shrugs off the beating as nothing, she does it by saying "Oh no big deal I got beaten worse than this all the time as a kid!" :smith:

I'm ceaselessly amused by how the IBO team managed to get their character drama animated by tricking Sunrise into believing that it was a Gundam show.

I'm not going to lie I do wish there was some more mecha action. Not the stuff we've gotten hasn't been good, but the barbatos is cool as hell and I want to see it fight more.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Midjack posted:

The moon will always be there.

apparently not in IBO though! :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

she actually has a waist 2/10 cosplay.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm glad because I really want to see how Mika changes and I don't think 11 episodes would be sufficient time to do it at this point.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It would also be interesting because A-V has been Tekkadan's big advantage at the moment, even moreso than the Gundams. If they lose that then they're going to be put a huge disadvantage. Mika's an incredibly talented pilot but he's also largely going up against opponents who can't hope to match him. It'll be really interesting to see how he handles someone who fights on his own level. (If not just because it means we get to see Mika fighting dirty and Mika fighting dirty is the best part of the show's combat to me.)

yeah and MIka's had the advantage of Gjallardhorn being really old school and having some weird code of honour. Ein won't give a poo poo about being honourable and will likely fight dirty as hell.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

man mika basically admitting to himself that he didn't care if Carta was going to come back or not, he was going to kill her anyway. was hosed up.

Mika is likely going down as one of my favorite gundam protagonists of all time. He's just such an good departure from the norm.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

I do find myself wondering how much of what happened in this episode was brought on by Mika's increasing desire to push Orga/enjoying combat and how much of it was brought on by Mika's "They hurt my friends MURDER MURDER MURDER" mode. We've seen concrete evidence of what happens to Mika's mood when somebody simply threatens or almost hurts one of the people he views as friends or family. Carta and company actually killed one. On reflection I'm not sure this was a calculated "Mika is pushing Orga" thing so much as Mika hearing Carta's voice(he's really good with voices, see chocolate man) and just going Incredible Hulk.

His expression after stomping the dude is pretty :shepface:.

it's pretty clearly not calculated, because other tekkadan members were like "poo poo mika's wrecking the suits so badly that were not going to be able to salvage anything from them." This was Mika in pure murder mode.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 14, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

Pretty sure that line was Shino referring to the fact that he was getting fired up about dueling and Mika spoiling it by singlehandedly wrecking everyone.

I assumed that since happened right after Mika completely crushing the cockpit and Akhiro going "that's brutal" meant that they weren't going to be able to salvage the suit, but that's just me. In any case, I didn't see much strategic thinking from Mika in this fight at all.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

Shino says that right as Mika knocks down the second enemy MS, but before he stomps the cockpit.

On re watching the scene, you're right, I mixed up the sequence of events.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's kind of funny despite all the deaths and everything, when I saw the Ein's graze in action I thought "drat this thing is cool, I'll have to pick up the model kit when it comes out."

Gundam in a nutshell folks :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

At this point I'm wondering if Kudelia is pretty much subscribing to a sunken cost fallacy. She says that because of all the people that died she has to move forward, but what's likely going to happen is her getting some potentially power hungry rear end in a top hat in place, who can just ignore her after he's put in charge.

Really a ton of this show is about the distortion of ideals when hitting practical reality and it's awesome for it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

Carta is fighting Mika and losing, see's Orga sitting in the open and basically goes "I might not be able to get you, but I can get him" before running off to make a kill she feels is within her limits. Feels pretty malicious to me.
I assume this has 26 episodes, not 25 - and thus won't end next week?

That's not what happened. She was fighting mika and losing, and then she heard orga's voice over the radio. This causes her to realize that the mobile worker has the enemy commander in it and goes to kill it. granted, she also doing it because she's pissed for losing so many of her subordinates.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kalion posted:

Nice to see that downtown Edmonton hasn't changed at all in 300+ years :v:

It's nice to know that the YMCA could still be in business after the calamity war.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think tekkadan's reputation was pretty much established when even the average worker in the colony knew who they were and referred to them as knights. Once they got Kudelia on earth it's more than likely they could have got some decent lesser risk contracts.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man mcgillilis Is one of the coldest mother fuckers in gundam and pretty much one upped char on the betrayal scale. He betrayed two of his lifelong friends and hosed over his adoptive family who raised him since he was like 6. Hopefully we'll get some more background info on him in s2.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

The idiots who complained that the parts of IBO without a minimum of one fight per episode were bad and boring will be happy.

I'm fine with not having a fight every episode, but I wouldn't have minded some more action. I think the lack of fights was a legit complaint for last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm disappointed Barbatos is going all-in on swords.

Eh at least they're using big rear end swords instead of some lame katana

• Locked thread