Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Triggerhappypilot posted:

So it has a twin drive dual reactor system that runs off of GN Ahab Particles?

Man they really need to explore a little with the technobabble. I want to see a gundam that runs on the smugness of masked antagonists.

I wonder if this is the target audience they're working with when you see the word "particles" and "reactor" and think of GN first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

dogsicle posted:

the unarmored waist should do some sick 180 and 360 spins

rip Victory Gundam fights

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I finally got around to marathoning this show to catch up before the season finale and uh, looking around on pixiv etc. is it me or is this show not very popular? I feel like it might be due to the direction and writing of the show skewing more towards the traditional "war is hell" Gundam fans and it's only popular amongst old grognards. I hope it's doing well in any case cause I'm enjoying it a lot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For what it's worth, my impression is that this show doesn't do a very good job of being very "Gundam" in the sense of delivering on mecha fanservice. I sorta know what Barbatos looks like, I have a vague idea that it's a melee monster but also it has a rifle and also it has a pair of long range rifles it can mount on its rear but they just re-equip it for every fight so it's really hard to get a sense of the specs of the machine. Gusion Rebake is fatty artillery guy with extra arms so kind of like a Seravee/The O and it has an awesome pointless transforming Gundam head. I think Grazes look like awesome chunky Flags with Geth heads attached to them and they're a great grunt suit. The Turbines have a really cool set of suits that definitely look like typical Gundam series aggressors but basically every Gjallarhorn suit kinda blends into each other in a mess of blue-purples to me. I think a lot of it is that they don't pad the action scenes with a minute of people announcing their suits and launching to reused footage and that the dark suits don't really show well in space where a lot of the early fights are done. In any case, I don't feel like this show particularly panders very well to the presumably large audience of watchers who just wanna see robots smash and shoot each other.

On a side note I love that Azee and Lafter are probably the most skilled pilots in the series behind Macky and I kinda rolled my eyes at Ricardo Fellini trucking through space with a literal harem. By the time they reveal that he's a big softy that gives girls in trouble a home and mostly fronts that they're his personal harem I grew to really like the Turbines too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think you're doing a lot of projecting here.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xy Hapu posted:

Oh come on, your avatar is a power fantasy machine bristling with guns the sole purpose of which is to kill other human beings.

I didn't care about the revenge itself in this instance either since it didn't really feel like there was any malice behind Biscuit's death, but didn't you at least get a kick out of the spectacle of the thing? Or did you really just feel bad/horrified the whole way through? If so you are a better human than I.

I just find it hard to imagine that the show creators spent all that animation time and giant robot choreography just for the purpose of showing that Mika is messed up, especially since the message is diluted a bit when both main combatants are inside said giant impersonal robots.

Actually my avatar is an inside joke from when I misidentified a huge Strike Rouge decal on a wall in a club as Heavyarms and I most decidedly am not a fan of SEED.

Anyway the reason why people watch Gundam, or rather, the reason why Gundam is still relevant, is that it has always had the message that war is terrible and also that children will often get dragged into the wars that adults create. Zeta Gundam, for example, had a lot of concessions in terms of action scenes and rapid rotation of mobile suits for merchandising purposes but the protagonist is driven by a noble(r) purpose. The ending is grim as hell and even if the fights are kickin rad you still walk out of it knowing that all that violence is lovely.

If you're referring specifically to the last combat scene, it is a very well animated slaughter and yes you are supposed to think that everything is messed up while also thinking it looks good. Your opinion could be divided on whether rejecting a duel offer by attacking them immediately is either kinda lovely or the smart thing to do, you might find it kinda funny that the dudes are dumb enough to stand outside of their suits and get caught out in the open but then the blood splatters start happening and you're supposed to realize this is not a Good Thing. Merribit is the voice of the writer being really unsubtle about what is going on here.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually if my memory of movie posters in college dorm rooms is correct, yes!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well poo poo I'm sad now they had to kill off the female pilots who were better than most of the other pilots to make Ein scary and my favourite pilot got drilled into goop.

Eej fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 20, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If they had 50 episodes they could have more time to flesh out... well, everything. Or Dort coulda dragged on even longer, I dunno

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I could've gone for Kudelia being less ridiculously sheltered and white guilt-y. I like her in general but sometimes her privileged behaviour is really over the top when it doesn't need to be to contrast with the nature of the child soldiers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Then before the final blow lands, the Grimgerde glows red as McGillis yells ALAYA-VIJNANA

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Really though, McGillis can't die because him murdering Gaelio and then marrying his sister who isn't aware of what really happened is the kind of pathos that people signed up for when they saw Mari Okada on the credits

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
McGillis has pretty obvious motives: he wants to burn the whole thing down. He arranges for Tekkadan to transport Kudelia safely to Earth because she is a key figure to revolution. If she makes it alive, she can cause further dissent through negotiations and if she dies, she will be a martyr for the cause. Gjallarhorn will be forced to respond to Tekkadan and fighting will happen, leading to casualties on both sides (nevermind the child soldiers) which looks horrible because it looks like Gjallarhorn is interfering with the political affairs of a nation when it is ostensibly neutral. Goading Carta into fighting them weakens the Seven Stars by depriving them of one of their heirs, marrying Almiria gives him political power and the only real question is what his intentions for Gaelio are. On one hand, Graze Ein is a walking political disaster which is great for McGillis on the other hand I'm not sure if he wants Gaelio to reform Gjallarhorn from within or just kill him because he is part of the establishment.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Crushing the nobility that has a stranglehold on the entire solar system is a pretty understandable motive.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lestaki posted:

If you're a member of said nobility, it's actually not. But 'gently caress you dad' is an acceptable reason, I guess.

There are plenty of times in actual history where minor nobles were involved with (or instigated) overthrowing the monarchy in order to implement a representative government though, with varying degrees of success.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Logicblade posted:

I woke up this morning and I was still furious that Lafter died.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

W.T. Fits posted:

Honestly, rather than a season 2 I think I'd rather see a straight up sequel series like Zeta, instead of "IBO continues where it left off, but with more executive meddling!" like 00 Season 2.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Dead Orphan Storage

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I understand the concern about people not dying leading to reduced storytelling impact but at the same time I'm really happy that more competent female pilots didn't just get mulched for shock/worf value.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know if the Grimgerde, as a limited production Valkyrie Frame, is supposed to have equivalent output to a Gundam Frame but McGillis definitely chucked the Kimaris lance at Gaelio like it was no thang

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not seeing how an anime from Japan is going to upgrade past Hanzo Steel for a protagonist weapon now that Mika has learned to wield it without resorting to beam sabers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If only she didn't fall for the World's Angriest Man.

E: actually her pride would have led to her death anyway so nevermind

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

chiasaur11 posted:

It looks like the option parts this time include a couple of maces, so it's not like Mika's abandoning gently caress off bludgeoning damage. He's just learning to better appreciate a weapon that can stab and bludgeon.

Looks like we're getting a small timeskip. And like Tekkadan's getting some backers with very deep pockets, from the fact they've got their own custom mobile suits.

I like how it looks like a minor timeskip and then suddenly a scene where Kudelia looks like a grown rear end woman and you start wondering exactly how many years have passed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In terms of scale he hasn't ranked very high but sacrificing childhood "friends" in the name of revolution is pretty up there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

ASW-G-11 Gundam Gusion Rebake Full City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On its own it's pretty weak that they got off unharmed but in the greater context of Gundam and anime as a whole, it's pretty good that a bunch of (sane, competent) female pilots didn't get mooked to show off how strong a new villain is.

• Locked thread