Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like that you can't make a thread without a paragraph talking about the toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm gonna wish on the Monkey's Paw for a world without Gunpla.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

(There is no more Gunpla because everybody is dead)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

Hi tomino-san

It's a real bad OP and this sentence makes me laugh.

Iron Blooded Orphans is set in the Post Disaster era, and PD 323 at that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

like that means anything to anybody, ever.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If anything you should emphasize the other shows they did work on, because even though they are sometimes dismissed as being empty drama gundam pulling more emotional depth into it would be a net benefit for the franchise.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 30, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its also not actually a bad op but phrasing that sentence that way is really silly to me and it makes me laugh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually wasn't going to this time, but then I remembered that .gif existed.

I was trying to say "this show takes place in a timeline called the Post Disaster Era. 323 Post Disaster, to be specific." If you guys got something offensive to new viewers out of it, sorry.

EDIT: Eeeeh it's not worth being snippy about this.

Oh yah I don't hold nothing against ya, I'm just amused.

I'm actually excited to see how the characters interact with each other, this is a pretty big cast. I think I'll give it an episode and see where my apathy takes me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The leader guy has incredibly fantastic and pointy hair.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Another cool character in this show: the big black dude that looks to be the pit crew chief or something.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

wheres the women

She's the audience stand in, while a bunch of hot shirtless mech jocks fight to protect you, the viewer.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Razzled posted:

Is this gonna be a return to 8th MS-esque Gundam?

Its probably going to be its own thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I dunno if you can really call romeo and juliet sordid.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Torrid, definitely.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Too many fights is a legit problem when it forces characterization to take a back seat. Or worse, when the weekly fights get too dang repetitive.

It'd also be a waste of the staff, because they have experience doing cool character drama focused writing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Heres a cute lil sketch Gyobu did of one of his designs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I liked that a lot!

Japan's going to hate it aren't they? And then there'll be a second season where Mika gets psychic powers and a crazy overpowered Gundam and will lament the lack of understanding between people while tonally weird music plays in the background and a third party will be introduced that is cartoonishly evil so that all the morally salvageable characters from Gjallahorn can team up with the good guys and :unsmigghh:

:yikes:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I was going to watch the show but that dudes really bad post scared me off.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

That was a pretty dull first episode without any semblance of intrigue or anything. Like I feel like I can't even rate it because it'd be like rating air

I think you can rate air based on how it smells, so how did the episode smell.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam as a whole is a series about the fundamental failure of society. It doesn't take a ton to analyze that.

The protagonist of the first series is Amuro Ray. He's a well-to-do upper-class kid who ends up in a war and sees the ways it utterly fails society in every way, shape and form. The argument is not that the leadership is broken but that society itself is fundamentally broken. The only way to change it is with a massive revolution not just in leadership but in the way people think and act.

Zeta follows that up by actually starting that revolution. The White Base members are now fighting against society and trying to change it. However in the process they lose what they were fighting for. They either become part of the machine or become so disillusioned that their path becomes utterly broken and they seek suicidal angry self-destructive paths in some desperate attempt to change something.

ZZ follows up on that by having one of the only Gundam protagonists who is basically a poo poo-up low-ranker who has the serious potential to change society. And his solution is to gently caress off and abandoned the corrupt broken world which can't be fixed by anyone. Unlike Kamille and Amuro who have comfortable lives, Judau has no reason to cling to the vestiges of society and so he's like 'gently caress ya'll, I'm out."

At no point in Gundam is the current structure of society shown to be a positive thing. The Federation is corrupt and useless and anyone who attempts to replace the Federation is corrupt and broken. It is literally impossible for humanity to fix. The only hope is a revolution but even that revolution is crippled by the fact that the people who want to enact that revolution are too grounded in society. This is something Unicorn actually takes on. Riddhe isn't meaningfully different from most Gundam protagonists. He is too comfortable in the status quo to really enact a heavy revolution and Unicorn even rewards that to a degree because there IS nobody to take over if the Federation falls except arguably worse people.

Newtypes are effectively the 'ideal.' A revolution that can occur outside of society and in doing so which can reject society without needing to deal with its flaws. It is optimistic and hopeful but fundamentally broken because of that. Any attempts for this theoretical magical revolution to occur are crippled by the fact that they are manipulated into being further weapons. The corruption is so deep it instantly cornholes any attempt at meaningful long-term revolution. And as we know, this leads to a tremendous breakdown of society in G-Reco/Turn-A. The only way society can arguably change is by becoming something completely different.. but even then the long-term corruption sets in. G-Reco is effectively an Eden-state. A childlike group of people who do not know sin until it is introduced to them by an outside source. (In this case Cumpa is the Snake and the Rose of Hermes is his apple.)

The idea of Gundam is that literally the only way to truly overcome the broke corruption of modern society is a complete wipe. One must either completely leave humanity behind (either by ascending to a new plain of existence or by travelling so far into space that no trace of humanity remains) or it must be so utterly broken and destroy that no trace of it can remain. In the case of both there are only two ways it can happen: a tragedy or a miracle. Gundam fundamentally believes the tragedy is likely but the miracle is ideal. Tomino simultaneously wishes for the complete destruction and hopes that an implausible alternate path will appear. Even while wishing for the latter though he acknowledges that the most likely path would be that the miracle is corrupted and not that humanity embraces it. To put it short, if the Son of God appeared, we'd nail him to the cross all over again.

There, quick and lazy.

Neat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

The only thing about this show that I dislike is Aina's name. I was seriously making jokes during G-Reco (and people were getting pissy at me over it) where I was calling the Aina from that show Aixa, Aiqa, etc, but it's kind of going too far to have 3 4 consecutive female leads with the same name (the first of which being a reference to the 08th MS Team lead).

edit: forgot about vegetable

That's not Aida's name.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

None of them have the same name.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I cant see it happen because from a technical standpoint Mika dominated him so hard on a 1v3 scenario and how the mars chapter poo poo is about to hit the fan makes it look like anyone in the mars chapter is going to be reprimanded. The only way he could stand a chance would be by going cyber himself and getting better tech, and I dont see the earth faction allowing that unless they start to get desperate

Desperate.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Your Turn.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Desperate

Desperate.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gundam: Beasts of No Nation.

theres no way this is as good as beasts of no nation

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Planning on watching that tomorrow, so I guess I'll see.

if the show actually touches the problems of reintegration for child soldiers ill watch it, but only if it does that

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

About 45 minutes into Beasts of No Nation at the moment myself. The movie owns.

It's not looking like it will any time soon, if at all.

The directing is so drat sharp and I love fukunaga's use of incredibly saturated colors for a bunch of scenes, dudes probably the director to watch the most right now

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

i hope this discussion gets taken prisoner and executed

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

no such thing as an anti-war film

Come and See.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrlEbI0Ss0

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

lol I was going to say Come and See too but I felt like it would open a whole new can of worms.

There's tons of movies that I would say are objectively anti war films, but those usually end up the movies that are framed from the perspectives of powerless people who are in the path of the conflict as opposed to the stories of soldiers, which often end up with a heroic bent to them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Oh my god, what a precious line :allears:

Sealab rules.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Africa took over all of Europe.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

the right wing was right

The Black Man must be held down because he is incredibly powerful.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EA9_wvRwA

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The europeans were intimidated by the power and majesty of the african people.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

A couple months ago: "Don't make the general Gundam thread and the IBO thread the same, we don't want to bog down new viewers with discussion of the older stuff!"

Now: "A character has appeared, better consult my checklist of Gundam archetypes and clichés"

*Unrolls a massive list that spills out of the room, down the stairs, into the foyer, out the door, into the street, over a parked car, through the neighbors house, stopping just short of their swimming pool*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

pantomimed rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lanz posted:

Spinner Rodi needs and MS Converge figure and to have that little word balloon as it's accessory

also any one else seeing a
T-Rex head shape in the design of the Chainsaw Club Barbatos has?

I kind of want to see a customization that takes that to a ludicrous but logical end

its just an alligator lopper, that already exists.

Theyre good for cutting branches and logs.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 4, 2016

• Locked thread