Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Toys are the only reason Gundam still exists.

Toys are the only reason why gundam exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Woah that owned.

I like that they established Mika as an excellent pilot before he got into the Gundam for a change.

And drat I want the soundtrack.

Yeah, I really like the main character so far. He's very competent in sort of a scary way, which I guess is going to be part of his character arc.

The guy just doesn't feel anything when killing, which is entirely understandable given how he's been killing since he was a kid

e-I thought we should start Xing off the cast photo as the series progressed but the dude that got kicked wasn't even in the promo pics so I think the cast might be safe for a while

vvv
Try Daisuki, didnt even need a proxy

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 4, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Under pressure, waiting for erection. I like the off focus buff dudes at the protest too

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I hope the princess and the grocery girl join Mikazuki in his work out sessions.

I dont know about the grocery girl but the princess needs to start getting her hands dirty, pulling and squatting if she wants to be taken seriously by the dudes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I thought living in mars had made people turn into lizards or something when I first saw them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean the typical robot show thing to do would be to have him killed. Its what happens 95% of the time. And given that the show already started bloody enough I'm thinking that his chances are slim. But I dont know the direction Mari's script is going to take at all.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:agreed:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just want the princess to start lifting and squatting, if she's a mechanic and pilot it will just be icing on the cake. Women should have hard bods too

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whoa the episode names were leaked and wellllllp

Episode 2 Barbatos
Episode 3 Sange (scattering flowers, or to fall like flowers. A saying that usually means dying a glorious death
Episode 4 Life's Price

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So far most of the attention has been going to Mika, Orga, and Biscuit with some attention going to the previous commander whose and idiot. Orga and Biscuit dont seem to be in combat roles, being more like commander and XO. So the rest of the group are going to have to step up if they want to graduate to gundam user status.

I'm not seeing the kids getting more gundams, they'll definitely get improved workers and maybe a few suits but not actual gundams.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They sort of have to because the japanese economy is in the gutter right now, kids think robots are antiquated, and the typical gunota are going to start dying sooner rather than later.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat thats a good episode. The characters are all starting to shine in their own way, the fight was really dynamic even though it wasn't very flashy, it was well choreographed and Mika is a tactical monster. Kudelia's speech over the images of what was happening to the kids in mars ending the way it did was fantastic. The show is doing a good job portraying how sudden and final death is. That pretty boy megalomaniac commander? loving dead and you didnt even get to see him. Just boom, dead and forgotten

Also there is so little subtlety regarding Kudelia's naivete, it was loving hilarious hearing Cookie and Crackers next episode saying that they were going to teach her lots of things. And I'm sure they aren't being ironic.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was thinking that he's going to defect rather than throw himself to his own death.
I would much rather have this happen. Yes the show is definitely raising its flags (huurrr hururrrr), but the writing is so good that it feels like it can go either way.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm surprised nobody's pegged Ein as a potential Char/rival. In the first episode, they showed several reaction cuts from him, even though he wasn't being directly addressed, and now he's already lost one squadmate/commander and is about to lose an older mentor figure because he was too injured to go along with him on this next sortie.

I cant see it happen because from a technical standpoint Mika dominated him so hard on a 1v3 scenario and how the mars chapter poo poo is about to hit the fan makes it look like anyone in the mars chapter is going to be reprimanded. The only way he could stand a chance would be by going cyber himself and getting better tech, and I dont see the earth faction allowing that unless they start to get desperate

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Loling over the fact that Russia annexed canada

Also nice that Tomino got a line there in the script in the end

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chocolate man is definetly growing on me since he seems to be having a blast. I can appreciate that on char clones :unsmith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I think the only thing better about Barbatos is that it's being piloted by someone that is basically using G-Gundam's system when everyone else is using sticks and pedals, but also apparently has super tough armor no one in the modern era uses (Probably for cost reasons).

Gundam frames have a innate advantage over other frames because they have 2 reactors instead of just one like other frames. They were only able to produce 72 of them because the process to get them to sync was extremely difficult.

The thing is, because the fights are so low key and rely so much on good choreography and people constantly one upping each other in the tricks department, you cant really get a feel on just how much stronger they are. Basically this is a less fabulous mecha version of jojo and I hope it continues like this.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tsob posted:

Also, after this episode I'm beginning to suspect that Ein is going to get a Alaya-Vijnana implant to keep up with Mika, then a second, third and possibly fourth in desperation to be able to kill him. There's no way he's got the skills to do so on his own as is, and now he's going to be working under two people who are aware of it and may mention it to him when discussing Tekkadan in briefings and so on. He's obsessed with avenging Crank and that's the shortest path to doing so. And given that an obsession with revenge and the main character was one of the defining aspects, he may just be the Char of this series. Though I think it's more funny that that makes Crank the Lalah of the show.

I figured as much since the first fight since he was completely outclassed in a 3v1 scenario. But Ein is older and the system is meant to be used on children right? Unless they develop a system that sort of the same as the AV but has a higher chance of working at the cost of the persons sanity. Then we'll have our tragic prettyboy cyber newtype

Or maybe he'll die suddenly without any fanfare in a random assault like everyone else seems to be doing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat this is a really good show

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zero_Tactility posted:

EDIT: And the ending theme continues to be amazing. It's perfectly suited to have that first bit come floating in as the scene ends.

I was really doubting how they'd use the song for cliff hangers but they always pull it just right. Its really good, because the begining rift can be used for slower endings and then just use the Orphan part of the lyrics to start the actual credits. If they need to end it in a more dramatic fashion they can use the first lyrics to raise the tension and then start the credits with with the second stanza

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

On the re-air they are going to have the dudes shoot first

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how you can see the underlying frame on the suits and that everything else just goes over it like armor. I also like how loving huge the shoulders on everything are. Its like every robot is a football player or a WoW raider.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope the girl that shouted "What a delicious name!" gets to meet Cookie and Cracker, she's going to go loving insane.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eiba posted:

It may be because I've not watched anime a lot recently, and I watched a lot of garbage back when I did... but I'm kind of blown away at how much subtlety there is in this show. Little looks between characters, really consistent non-archetype based characterization, complicated yet sensible situations with people reacting in understandable ways... Is Iron Blooded Orphans really good at that kind of stuff, or am I just misremembering anime in general?

There is a lot of telling in the show, but there is equally as much showing. Like you said, the bridge scene at the start of the show is fantastic once you understand the characters. There is exposition going on that is completely unrelated to the characters themselves, but the characters are so grounded already that it feels like even unrelated exposition like this will further establish who they are.

The kids themselves haven't changed much so far but Kudelia has done some pretty big leaps, and the later scene in the bridge sort of reinforces that without telling much (because everyone is focused on the fight). She stands there unflinching during a pretty gruesome fight. The first episodes Kudelia would be having a panic attack screaming for surrender because she couldn't bare the kids get killed because of her. Sure she's said a few things that pointed to that direction in the previous episodes, but here we see her actually carry it out when actually tested.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

One nice little detail - I do believe Kudelia might have accidentally set up this episode's clusterfuck. Remember last episode, when she asked why Mika didn't get involved in strategy meetings and make his opinions heard more?

I dont think these things are related at all. The meeting itself shouldn't have influenced anything that happened in this episode, because they werent anticipating Naze showing up with the old boss.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

a kitten posted:

Oh hey, there's the title.

Also, I'm not sure why exactly, but I don't entirely trust Kudelia's retainer. She gave one strange look a few episodes back or something and now, like the shifty eyed dog in that Simpsons episode, I'm just not sure about her.

I think the show definitely has its moments of raising suspicion toward her. In one of the earlier episodes she said something that made me think she was under Kudelia's fathers influence, but he's a giant shitbag that appears to be completely irrelevant to the story so far.

I think the surprise may be that she really is just a maid in the very classic story sense, more of a prop than a character and she's completely fine with that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Baal posted:

I have a question about Naze's harem... Is it real?

Anime is real

Therefore Naze's harem is real

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know just thinking about the harem issue from a military standpoint is sort hilarious if you think it devolved from an EO complaint or something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

lmao people are gonna get mad at the underage drinking as well :vomarine:

Bro they censored Jotaro's cigarette in the broadcast and that was at like 1am or something. This show has had straight up prisoner executions, harems, gay love interests, underage drinking and I dont know if this is true since Im just going by what was being posted in japanese forums but a guy lost his virginity and its airing at 5pm on sundays. Someone is bound to get angry

Marie is going wild and I love it

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 29, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Last I read the ratings were pretty dismal despite the people watching it actually liking it a lot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maybe that BF special will come out before IBO finishes and if we see the IBO cast in school uniforms having fun then we can be sure they died a horrible death in their series.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think its fair to believe the complete opposite of what you think would happen will happen in regards to UC concept like things. So instead of the person being turned into a crazy murderer because of the system, it'll end up opening their eyes to how hosed up everything is in the world.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 29, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

muike posted:

Also I definitely get that weird vibe with McGillis, and think he's up to some Dark & Heinous poo poo, but definitely not pedo stuff. I think it's more likely, based on his talk about reforming Gjallarhorn from the inside, that he's going to be using his childbride as some kind of gambling chip or human sacrifice.

Catching up with the series as I was a few episodes behind, I finally get who McGillis reminds me of. Its the Count from Gankutsuou. It didn't really click on me till the scene with Almiria, but he's definitely manipulating everyone for his own goals. He's moving the pieces and playing along in a matter people around him expect him to, but in the end he's going to spring whatever trap he has going and drag whoever is in the dragnet with him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok lets start watching this episode, ummm fairly standard begining given whats happened so far oh the new OP...wtf! Hahahaha anyone wants to take bets on who The CHAR mask is ? His/her suit looks pretty evil.

e-new ending is loving trash compared to Orphans Namida

e2- Oh my loving god the clips for the next episode, I cant stop laughing! Marie you are a loving genius

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 10, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I have a bad feeling about executive meddling again.

Outside of OP/EDs, which is almost always a case of executive meddling in some way, I honestly don't feel it at all. The story hasn't changed at all, its following a framework already laid out by foreshadowing, I think the only real surprise I had was Kamen Gillis but I can totally see his character doing this.

e-Compared to say the second seasons of other gundam series and valvrave, which had pretty noticeable indications of having things changed wholesale.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm just wary because the last time a mask came out of nowhere, it was the start of a dark, generic path.

At first I laughed at the random masked guy in the intro but any worries I had were completely evaporated during the outro. I am 100% sure that the previews were done in character, even if masky acts differently underneath it will be the same character. And I know its going to end up a joke eventually when Mika goes out an calls him out as Chocolate Man

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

If you expect me to believe that a group of kids transported some cargo over the course of a very long trip without once checking what was in it, you've got another thing coming.

An earlier episode already covered this actually. One of the youngest kids in the ship was completely uninterested in the cargo since he thought it was just natural resources. Its pretty easy to accept the info at face value because the whole resource exploitation is a pretty big theme in the show. Combine that with the rest of the crew telling you that this is their first big mission as part of Teiwaz dont screw it up and you got a recipe for not a giving a drat about whats in it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

oohhboy posted:

gently caress. Atra is hardcore.
Yeeeeep

e-Also they seem to be using the ending song pretty drat well for the end scenes all things considered. Its growing on me.

e2- And it looks like its Fumitan's time to Raise Her Falg

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 17, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Logicblade posted:

You'd think there would have been some media coverage of that big conference Kudelia was supposedly in at the start of the show.

Im thinking that the earthsphere just has a complete lockdown on any media with her to prevent people sympathizing with her cause. Like at most people know her from word of mouth but any actual speeches, events, etc are just blacked out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's the endgoal for what's apparently 4 factions now. What specifically is Nobliss's goal? Just to make a martyr for kicks?

Im guessing its something like this

Gjallarhorn - Status quou must be maintained.
Nobliss (and probably the upper echelons of Teiwaz)- Status quou must be broken to further enrich ourselves
Kudelia/Tekkadan- Status quou must be broken to help the common folk
McGillis- Status quou must be broken because ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that McGillis is playing 11th dimensional chess right now but is still having a ton of fun. Like whatever he's planning might ruin the lives of countless people, but here he is using the craziest getup right now and he knows its ridiculous but he's having a blast.

• Locked thread