Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

I'm probably just being dumb, but I was a bit confused by the scenes with Coral. When he says "Then for her to be remembered eternally as a people's icon, we will help her" and "To receive the support of Nobliss, we need to have her do well", are those both references to having Kudelia offed? I dunno, it just felt a bit awkward to me.

Think of it this way, if Gandhi had been killed around 1944 and turned into a martyr, do you think Indian independence would have gone as well as it did? It probably would have fractured into a lot of splinter groups and taken much longer and been much more violent, which would have benefited the British. I think the realpolitik the Mars branch Gjallerhorn is engaging in is very interesting. There's value in someone becoming an icon rather than somehow who's actually speaking with the Earth government directly for the powers that be. An icon's message can be controlled and directed, an active leader of a united grassroots independence movement is a bit of a bigger fish to fry. There's this cliche where you don't want to "turn someone into a martyr" that waves away certain murder based solutions for oppressive governments in fiction. A martyr isn't actually leading anyone anymore, they're just dead and people are left behind without someone to fill that role anymore.

TNG fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I think he's just being cute there, as in "do her best job(dying for our purposes)"

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I wonder if the pre-devastation civilization injected a piece of super dense exotic matter into Mars' core so that it could hold a thicker atmosphere and have gravity comparable to Earth's. You could also get the piece of EM rotating to give Mars a semblance of a magnetic field so as to deflect cosmic radiation.

TNG fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 7, 2015

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Also, Gjallahorn was trying to engage quietly, hence the snipers, but a sentry managed to figure out what was happening and alert the whole company. If that didn't happen, they'd have been blowing them away as everyone tried to launch.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Steve Blum will voice both Orga and Biscuit.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Kudeilia's main character conflict is that she's incredibly arrogant. She sees herself as a savior and as someone whose presence is more important than everyone else's. While she isn't overtly like this, her attitude is incredibly lovely for someone looking to become a leader to the people. I hope that Mika's continual savagings of her ego continue, because she needs them. Someone said they hope she becomes a combatant of some type, as part of her character growth. I think that would be a poor direction for her to go in, since military power isn't really all that's cracked up to be in this show. You're either a tool of an oppressive regime or an expendable mercenary, and for all their ability to blow things up, it really doesn't make anyone's life on Mars any better. If Kudeilia is actually going to grow into an active character, she needs to figure out how to wield real power: political power. And not only that, but a political power that doesn't put herself and her class over everyone else. gently caress Noblesse Oblige, she should be doing it because it's the right thing to do and people need some sort of representation, as that whole "starving children" montage showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
They've grown on me, but that's because I like a lot of the characters and their conflict is interesting.

• Locked thread