Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Took me a little while to get into it but by the end I was pretty well invested.

The Devil Tesla posted:

The gender ratio is basically the same as a cute boys sports anime and I think that's entirely intentional.

I haven't watched a Gundam show since Gundam Wing so it seems to be working :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dulkor posted:

Villain or corpse. Taking all bets!

villain because corpse wrecks my ship, but would prefer neither.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
He didn't get the weird square eyes either, that helps a lot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

Akihiro (the Guts lookalike) is cute too

:agreed:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My hope is that Orga doesn't go down the doomed mentor path everyone is predicting and the actual evolution of Orga and Mika's relationship is moving from superior/subordinate to one more like real friends or equals (and that he lives til the end).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
accidental double-post, have some gifs I stole from tumblr so it's not wasted

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 13, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

boom boom boom posted:

You just want them to kiss.

Yeah but I know that's not happening so I'm trying to be realistic here.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zasze posted:

I wonder if this implies her dad sold her to CGS as human debris, that could be interesting.

I had that thought as well, what with it being brought up earlier in the episode. At least I think some parallels were being made/will be made, even if she hasn't actually been sold as chattel.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think Orga is going to either die or end up estranged from Mika.

Or they could kiss.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Show's already headed for the everybody gets to kiss ending

These guys are just the warmup.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 21, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Droyer posted:

this was a really neat scene and if IBO was the first gundam with a gay romance that would be really cool.

I just realized the way I phrased that other post might have sounded dismissive of them, and it wasn't meant to be at all. Shipping jokes aside, I really do hope those guys (whose names I did look up but don't remember at the moment) get to be boyfriends without being used for some sort of pathos. I think there's really enough heavy poo poo going down around them that it would be nice if they were allowed to be happy -- rather than foreshadowing tragedy I'd rather their relationship be used as something hopeful.

Thinking about that in general, I see the characters moving forward out of a really dark and terrible place toward something better, and the conflict ahead of them being more of a struggle against the societal and political forces trying to keep them in their original place vs needing to have a lot of really dramatic internal conflict to shake things up. I think it's natural for the group to disagree at times about how to proceed but anticipating a big split between Orga and Mika just doesn't sit well with me. If there is something like that I think it would be temporary and end up with them back together with a stronger & more equal partnership. I don't think Mika needs to surpass Orga, he just needs to stand beside him instead of following.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 21, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, maybe Orga gets some character development and stops being such a crazy person when it comes to Mika. Why not?

Yeah I think there should be some adjustments on both sides; there's no reason Orga should be static while Mika does all the growing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

Personally I'm more interested in how Biscuit is going to develop. He's the most together of all the main characters so far, and he's clearly not entirely happy with how things are being ran. It's doubtful he'll do anything rash (especially with his sisters counting on him), but I think he's eventually going to get sick of all of Orga's daredevilry.

Yeah I think Biscuit, Eugene, and Akihiro have all had some really stand-out moments in the recent episodes and I'm excited to see how they'll develop. The supporting cast has been really good so far.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Getting to see Orga's uncertainty and inexperience this episode was pretty great. I liked that it was emphasized several times that he's also a kid just like the rest of them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Am I the only one waiting and seeing because this is otherwise as bad as "Who's the next Char? ORGA GOTTA DIE...NOW. Now? NOW!"

You are not alone.

And tangentially related to that it seems depressing to watch a show trying to pick out who's gonna die before the end (not just Orga now, Biscuit and one of the Gjallerhorn boyfriends are on the list apparently).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Baal posted:

I have a question about Naze's harem... Is it real?

Imagine a harem romcom but at the end instead of not picking any girl he picked all the girls

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would hope the show would be less ham-fisted than doing something like that as well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

source (nsfw)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Not sure what's objectively bad about Naze's crew other than self-loathing anime attitude. If they're secretly slave laborers, then they're evil but we haven't come across that boat yet or ever.
Considering the meat vs cornbread analogy, seems like they're ok with the situation :haw:

dogsicle posted:

this is definitely my favorite episode yet, getting to see a lot of the characters (not just the main cast) move forward/open up in a lot of different ways. Mikazuki taking a shine to kanji and worrying about whether he should've been proactive, Yoruba's crush running into obstacles, Orga being unable to hold his liquor and working through his role as leader, and Ride's cute moment on the cusp of growing up. i'd like to know a bit more about Fumitan though, and Kudelia seems fine but doesn't interest me personally, yet. i hope next week does give Atra (maybe Akihiro too?) some focus because that seems like the biggest problem for her so far, though her thoughts on meat this episode were cute.
Yeah, thought this was a pretty great episode. Kudelia is becoming more interesting to me; I thought this was really the first time it felt like she was taking an active role vs being sort of tossed around on the waves of whatever circumstance or situation she ended up in. I really liked how Mika was pointedly not participating in the discussion with McMurdo, but was still listening and gave her the advice she needed without becoming a crutch or shield from the pressure of the decision she was going to have to make.

This episode was all about growing up; Kudelia and Orga having to step up and become leaders, the boys literally climbing the ladder of adulthood lol, but additionally Tekkadan growing as an organization and finding a place where it can flourish -- running around as a solo operation and trying to survive on balls and sheer pride is a childish endeavor, even though joining up with Teiwaz requires compromise (less profit, less renown, probably gonna be used as weapons in the coming war).

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So yeah, that's another episode where it's heavily hinted that Yamagi has feelings for Norba. Really hope it's not just "I want him to be my brother" stuff. :3:
I feel bad for Yamagi, looks like his crush is pretty one-sided so far :( Being upset about Norba getting laid isn't something I'd chalk up to any sort of brotherly admiration either. I like that it's not being treated as a one-off scene so hopefully he'll be able to get his feelings across :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naze's harem and Tekkadan being professional child soldiers both being possibly not 100% awful for those involved reads to me like the show presenting us with a bunch of folks making the best of bad situations. We don't know why exactly all those women decided to marry Naze, but nothing that's been revealed so far makes me think they're under duress so I don't see what a bunch of handwringing about it really accomplishes. LIkewise, Tekkadan is still a bunch of kids who aren't going to stop being soldiers any time soon but they're still using that situation to build themselves a family, a home, and livelihood and their situation isn't providing any alternatives for them to not be soldiers, so they just gotta push forward and do the best they can with what they have. Getting in bed with a huge organized crime family isn't exactly a positive thing either.

It's kind of obvious that the world being developed here isn't divided into purely black and white & good and evil, and we as an audience are probably supposed to acknowledge "oh wow that's pretty hosed up" when something arises that's pretty hosed up. It's not like the show is saying any of them are OK for the real world, but this is the reality these characters inhabit and they have to deal with it as best they can.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Craptacular! posted:

Is Eugene supposed to be in the closet, or am I totally crazy? I noticed a few episodes ago that one of the blondes was tossed out of a mech by one of the team's burly guys jacking it from him, and he moves away with the startled expression and hand clutched to his chest that I've long identified as the sign of a crush. That was such a minor thing that could be interpreted wrong that I made no mention of it.

And now in this episode someone goes on about wanting the girls with the big titties and tries to get Eugene's approval, and he replies, "I'm not interested in girls." It's something that's relatable to almost any closet gay.

During that scene Eugene and Akihiro also exchanged a brief glance across the table which is really all the justification I need to ship them :mrgw: Eugene does say the next morning he's an adult now so he was interested enough to get the job done.

The kid (Yamagi) who got pulled out of the mech has a (potentially one-sided) crush on Norba, the guy who took his hand.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lestaki posted:

I seriously need that to be her avoiding confrontation by misdirection rather than her being so dim she thought they were literally talking about food.

Not dim, it was showing that she's just that innocent so the analogy went over her head.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

Do not NTR Orga

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

the best

Go for it Atra, aim for the harem end!

That is too funny :kimchi:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was getting a little nervous about that as well and am glad it didn't go that way.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope all the death flags are actually false flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ehehehe
I hope this becomes a big meme

• Locked thread